• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime The Japanese Culture Thread

make_it_worse

Vanishment th!s world
Reaction score
Ask about all the culture of the Land of the Rising Sun. Things like do's and not to do's in Japan!

i heard that students have to change their shoes when entering school, can someone explain that?

Last edited by a moderator:
it's very simple, really. They're just shoes meant for indoor school usage. Outdoor shoes track dirt, plus it's customary to take off your shoes when you go inside of a Japanese home. I guess they go with the school uniform as well (uniforms being mandatory in pretty much every Japanese high school, so far as I know).

Oh yeah, speaking from personal experience, it'd seem that a lot of Japanese are pretty well-adjusted to helping out foreigners (at least foreigners who speak English). Whether you actually speak their language or not, some are all too eager to help out while speaking your language.

Ask All Culture about the Land of the Rising Sun.Things like do's and not to do's in Japan!

i heard that students have to change their shoes when entering school, can someone explain that?
It's already been pretty much explained, but they have shoes for indoor wear and outdoor wear and it's not only for school. Even if you go to some places of business, you have to take off your shoes and wear the slippers provided for you. It's a way to separate the clean from the unclean, which is also why they have a toilet room and a washroom as opposed to having the toilet in the same room as the shower/tub.

As for the school uniform comment, I think it's more so the school itself. For example, you can recognize what school a child goes to through the child's uniform and backpack. Uniforms are mandatory in all junior high and high schools.
why it's forbidden to answer one's cellphone in a train?
I saw many people using their mobile phones while on the trains...but mostly e-mailing or surfing the net or listening to music or snapping pictures. I don't think it's actually forbidden at all, but I do recall seeing signs about not really using your phones along with other products (DS for one or PSP). I think they want you to be considerate about it and not to disturb those around you. It's like how they have this rule over there of how you're not supposed to ride your bike while holding your umbrella, but I never saw anyone obey that rule whenever it was raining, and they were open and everything.

It's not really forbidden, it's just good etiquette and manners you know? There are plenty of people who've been playing there DS's, iPads, and or been on there cell phones on trains. It's good manners that's it. Just like I keep hearing how your not suppose to walk down the street while eating, but yet many people still do it regardless. :/ Japanese people tend to try to keep things clean and garbage in the trash can, there are a lot of people who still choose to not follow the rules either way.

It's not. Just answer it with low voice. Last time I visited Tokyo with my father, there was this businessman scolding his employee on the phone. And you can see the annoyed stares and glares of other people to him. I guess it applies anywhere, not just in Japan. Even here in Paris, people get really annoyed by people talking loud on their phones.

why they have super short skirts?
That's kind of an odd question, don't you think? Why does anyone wear anything? Fashion and style. It's no different from how back in the 70s here how the style was to wear mini skirts and micro minis. That aside, that question could be applied and asked for anyplace, not just Japan.

Well here's a question, Is there anything that I really shouldn't do in public in Japan that would be normal in America? Planing on going to visit with my husband and I don't want to offend anybody.

Well here's a question, Is there anything that I really shouldn't do in public in Japan that would be normal in America? Planing on going to visit with my husband and I don't want to offend anybody.

take always your shoes off before entering in someone's house

-----------------------
EDIT:
But, how to refuse something that they give you, because if they give you something, it means that they like you. Just please tell me how to refuse "politely" something (like onsen), though onsen thrills me..

Last edited:
Public displays of affection isn't all that common over there, and of course, as it was already mentioned, always remove your shoes whenever you are in a place (not just people's homes) that have slippers provided for you.

If you go to an onsen, always make sure you wash yourself thoroughly and once going into the hot spring water, never let your courtesy towel fall into the water. You can maybe fold it up and put it on your head or leave it on the side, but never let it touch the actual water.

why they have super short skirts?

That's kinda a weird question. It's just typical fashion, not anything different from any country. I think your getting Anime kinda mixed up with actual living in Japan.

If you do plan to visit a Onsen make sure you cover up your tattoo(s) if you have any. Try not to cause a ruckus or anything no screaming. Remember basics like thank you and please, and if you do plan to wear like say a Japanese outfit like a Yukata or Kimono please make sure you wear it correctly. Also in Japan, this may only apply to some. But, try not to make eye contact for too long. It's considered aggressive and rude by some in some situations to make direct eye contact with someone for too long.

Last edited:
but, how to refuse politely a thing?
Not too certain, as I never fully figured that out myself. The way to politely refuse a drink is to just keep your drink filled, that way, no one will top it off for you. It's very polite and common courtesy to pour drinks for those you are dining or drinking with.

Hm, or maybe if someone does try to offer you something and you want to refuse, maybe you could just say, "Daijoubu desu." and wave your hand. It worked for me when refusing some things, like when the conbini ladies wanted to give me a big bag of daikon. I said thank you and that it was okay, but that I didn't know how to prepare them.

ah, Can you tell me the percentage of those who uses bike?
That's something you should just look up yourself. I doubt anyone here would just know something like that. I would assume that a good majority of the people have or use bikes, though, as the country as a whole is very bicycle friendly.

I already love this thread. It means that I won't have to make a thread on my own to ask stuff...

First off, I wanted to ask something in regards to dining etiquette in Japan. In Japan, it's custom to say "Itadakimasu" ("I humbly receive" or something) before eating a meal, and can be seen somewhat as equivalent to saying grace. The thing is, I only know that this phrase is said, and would like to know if there's more to it. Is it, as mentioned before, very similar to saying grace, where most will also place their palms together, like prayer hands or something? Or is it something different?

Thank you.

You do put your hands together like doing grace, but it's not really praying: Itadaku is as you said "to humbly recieve", so you're giving thanks to the person who made the meal and whatnot. It's not as "formal" as grace, but still a must for every meal.

I know it isn't praying, I just didn't know how else to describe the hand notion. Anyway, right, hands together. Is there anything else important to note about it? Are heads also lowered a bit, eyes closed, again similar to grace?

Thank you again. I appreciate it.

Um, I don't think so. If you've ever seen people in an anime say it, it would be a good reference, as on the whole, it's quite a bit more enthusiastic and informal than grace.

Are you aware of "gochisousama (deshita)" at the end of a meal?

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom