• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime The Japanese Culture Thread

To be honest, I don't watch anime as much anymore, and I honestly don't think I can find any where people say it to use as reference. Heck, I don't even know what Slice of Life anime to start with.

And yes, I am aware of gochisousama deshita.

Yeah, it is for comic, and there's definitely no intention on animating it.

But then that's where physical notion is important, given that it's a comic. That's kinda why I'm asking a lot of stuff.

One thing that I personally do (although I can't really recall if others do) is a very slight nodding of the head when you say it.

Alright, thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

The way I depict it might look more similar to saying grace... but I don't think it'll be totally inaccurate if it seems like it... I'm trying my best for this comic to not end up weeaboo'ish, so I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

One thing that I personally do (although I can't really recall if others do) is a very slight nodding of the head when you say it.
I was about to say this. I think it's just instinctive to do...it was for me, anyway.

Ah, what style of clothing is considered a little bit of rude in Japan? (like hip hop or gothic)

Ah, what style of clothing is considered a little bit of rude in Japan? (like hip hop or gothic)
There really isn't. Style is style. Only ones that might have a prob with the way young people dress are the older people, but like I said before, that can go for anyplace and any country, not just Japan.

Oh gee, I am so forgetful...

I also wanted to ask if it's normal for family conversations to happen over a meal... Or at least in my comic's case, it is normal for a father and his child to converse while eating a meal? Or does that old saying "Children should be seen and not heard" apply over there as well?

While I'm at it, I may as well ask more about "gochisousama deshita". I imagine the person thanking turns their eye contact to whoever prepared the meal, holds their hands in the Namaste position, and says this, essentially saying thank you for the meal? Anything else to this?

Thank you again.

Oh gee, I am so forgetful...

I also wanted to ask if it's normal for family conversations to happen over a meal... Or at least in my comic's case, it is normal for a father and his child to converse while eating a meal? Or does that old saying "Children should be seen and not heard" apply over there as well?
It's common for families to talk during meals, and this includes the children. Having stayed with a Japanese family (mother, father, and child), it seems to be common and normal. I don't think that "children should be seen and not heard" mentality is the norm, as I've never seen it. Kids to me, imo, are actually quite pampered.
While I'm at it, I may as well ask more about "gochisousama deshita". I imagine the person thanking turns their eye contact to whoever prepared the meal, holds their hands in the Namaste position, and says this, essentially saying thank you for the meal? Anything else to this?
Nope, never saw that. They just close their eyes, clap their hands and say it.

maybe. When I was over there, I didn't see many otaku (by which I mean people who loudly display their interests as such) outside of Comiket and Akihabara. I'd occasionally see someone walking about with an Angel Beats! tote-bag, but that was about it. I guess, as with anybody with certain interests, it's just common courtesy to keep reserved in the public eye (honestly, I'd probably wanna punch a fellow otaku myself if they weren't being very considerate of the time and place... can you imagine some obese slob wearing a Naruto headband and practicing bullshit handsigns at a wake? And the dead in question WASN'T a vocal Naruto enthusiast?).

Yeah, seems that outside of places like Akihabara where people may cosplay on the weekends and go to hobby shops, I don't think many people would be very open about it. Otaku aren't really looked upon all that well, seemingly. I doubt that they are hated, though, but maybe viewed as being socially inept. I'm under the impression that an otaku would be considered an extreme or obsessive fan of something.

This is probably going to be a really odd request, and I don't think it's something that I can just easily search about in Google, but... What are the usual common floor plans for modern houses in Japan? (Heck, this might not even be the right thread to ask about this...)

Yeah, it's for my comic again, this time the house of the main characters in my comic. Currently in my current sketches/drawings, the Murakami residence is a small, two story house intended for a small family. It also includes a balcony on the second floor, made of wood. However I've only drawn the outside and neighboring area of the house, and not any sketches of the inside or even a "floor plan" for reference. The only thing that I've included as of note in my comic's transcripts, is that most of the rooms are in western-style, the bedrooms are on the top floor and there is a Washitsu room.

Of course, since I don't have any ideas on the floor plans on most modern Japanese housings, I can't help but wonder if there are certain placements of rooms, like whether some would better belong on ground floor or upstairs. I'm especially wondering more on the Washitsu room. I'm not sure if it should be the same room with the balcony outside, meaning it would have to be on the second floor, or if it should belong on ground floor. If it is on ground floor, then I'm not sure about the balcony then, because from images I've seen, the balconies seemed a bit traditional'ish.

Maybe I'm over thinking things, but it was something I wanted to ask... If needed I can show my current drawings as a visual guide of my set up. They might be better, I dunno.

Thank you...

From my experience, washitsu tend to be on the ground floor. And the balconies for most Japanese homes aren't really traditional, more like apartment balconies.

I wouldn't know how to describe it. The ones I were in all had wood floors and one bedroom with tatami (washitsu). Oh, and yeah, from what I've seen of the balconies, they are more so like apartment ones, as it was already pointed out.

This is probably going to be a really odd request, and I don't think it's something that I can just easily search about in Google, but... What are the usual common floor plans for modern houses in Japan? (Heck, this might not even be the right thread to ask about this...)

Yeah, it's for my comic again, this time the house of the main characters in my comic. Currently in my current sketches/drawings, the Murakami residence is a small, two story house intended for a small family. It also includes a balcony on the second floor, made of wood. However I've only drawn the outside and neighboring area of the house, and not any sketches of the inside or even a "floor plan" for reference. The only thing that I've included as of note in my comic's transcripts, is that most of the rooms are in western-style, the bedrooms are on the top floor and there is a Washitsu room.

Of course, since I don't have any ideas on the floor plans on most modern Japanese housings, I can't help but wonder if there are certain placements of rooms, like whether some would better belong on ground floor or upstairs. I'm especially wondering more on the Washitsu room. I'm not sure if it should be the same room with the balcony outside, meaning it would have to be on the second floor, or if it should belong on ground floor. If it is on ground floor, then I'm not sure about the balcony then, because from images I've seen, the balconies seemed a bit traditional'ish.

Maybe I'm over thinking things, but it was something I wanted to ask... If needed I can show my current drawings as a visual guide of my set up. They might be better, I dunno.

Thank you...

Try to watch Doraemon or Toradora, or maybe Chocotto sister, the setting is always in the house..

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom