• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime The Japanese Culture Thread

The home I stayed in had two (mostly unused, except for playing PS2) washitsu on the ground floor, and all other rooms just had normal wooden floors.

Try to watch Doraemon or Toradora, or maybe Chocotto sister, the setting is always in the house..

I don't really watch anime anymore, and they seem kinda boring to me and would be a bit of a chore to watch... (Well, maybe except Doreamon, but still.) Also, I'm really trying to not use anime as a source, unless I absolutely have to. Not to mention, I would have to search for those on youtube, and for some reason I don't think I would have much luck with that.

@jda95: Alright. Was there anything else of note of it?

As for the balconies, I guess it was just my eyes. Alright, kinda like apartment balconies. Thank you.

It was a three story house (keep in mind that Japanese houses are pretty narrow, so it wasn't too large). First floor as previously said was just the genkan and washitsu, second floor had the main kitchen/dining/living room as well as the laundry and main bathroom (and balcony), third floor was bedrooms.

Last edited:
The way my fictional house is right now, is that it's a somewhat small house with only two stories, and the washitsu was on ground floor. I guess it wouldn't be too different from the one you stayed in?

Note that the house is kinda also on a raised concrete platform, and kinda near a small street. (I don't know what else to call it.) Also, I don't suppose exact location would have a big factor, right? I've kinda chosen the setting to be a small neighborhood area of Asahikawa City, which is in Hokkaido.

I don't really watch anime anymore, and they seem kinda boring to me and would be a bit of a chore to watch... (Well, maybe except Doreamon, but still.) Also, I'm really trying to not use anime as a source, unless I absolutely have to. Not to mention, I would have to search for those on youtube, and for some reason I don't think I would have much luck with that.

@jda95: Alright. Was there anything else of note of it?

As for the balconies, I guess it was just my eyes. Alright, kinda like apartment balconies. Thank you.

but just for saying, to perfectionize your own manga... but the best thing to do is to give a swim in the japanese culture visiting japan.. or guesss..

but just for saying, to perfectionize your own manga... but the best thing to do is to give a swim in the japanese culture visiting japan.. or guesss..
If anything, he should watch a Japanese drama, which is usually much more realistic in a general sense. The country is full of them and has many and they're all usually pretty short. Some are silly, like Tantei no Okite (which I still wish I could've seen the ending of), and then there are some that are pretty serious...yet a bit humorous (like At Home Dad, which dealt with a man having to stay at home while his wife did the providing for the family after losing his job, and in Japan, it's particularly the social norm for the wife/mother to be home while the husband/man works so we had to see him deal with his feeling inadequate and learn how to care for his Kindergarten daughter and all the household responsibilities he'd never had to even think about doing before). To be honest, I recommend dramas for language reasons too because the language used would be more common for the most part, unlike in some anime or manga series that's geared towards children.

Anime does not always depict culture accurately, even some of the more 'realistic' anime and manga out there. I'd much rather read up on other, more trustworthy sources.

Also, I just plain don't really watch anime anymore, and don't really go looking for them. And no offense SSJ_Jup81, but I honestly doubt I would be able to find what you suggest. :/

Hm, I know of a couple of places, but if you can manage to look at a drama (one of the more realistic ones or a modern era one as opposed to the Samurai ones), you'll have a good idea of how Japanese houses are set up. If you are interested, just send me a message.

Last edited:
...No thanks. Because I imagine it would be something torrent-related, and I don't like to torrent. I think I'm just going to have to trust my gut on this one.

Oh and... In some of my sources, I sometimes see what appears to either be a vent's grate or wooden drapes near windows outside, but could never really quite tell what they were. I'm guessing it's a vent or something, but what are they?

Last edited:
I was actually going to suggest YT, but yeah torrent sites too. For instance, I found ep 1 of At Home Dad on YT. I watched this series years ago and really enjoyed it. You can learn about interactions through that series, and as I mentioned earlier, what drew me to this series was the focus on gender roles in Japan's modern society. It's expected of the woman to stay at home once married and the husband to be the breadwinner. Anywho, here's episode 1 on YT. Oh, and for the record, most Japanese dramas are short. Maybe 12 or 13 eps long.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

As for your wooden drape question, I'd have to see an actual picture to refresh my memory.

...Would an image from an anime with a rather realistic real world, work for you?

Sure. That might help.

Sorry I took so long, this is what I have...

redhouse.png

The screencap came from the movie "Catnapped!", which was from 1995, so I'm not sure if many things from back then still applies to today. I can also try to get other screencaps if needed.

I've had one hectic week. Sorry I'm just replying now. Anywho, I've seen those. I lived in an apartment, but the neighborhood I used to walk through (man I loved it and wished I was rich enough to have a house like that there) had windows like that. I have no idea what they're for, though. I'm sorry. Maybe someone else here can shed a light on the mystery.

Oh! I do have footage of my doing a walk from the school back to my apartment. If you would like to see the footage, I can send you the link.

After looking at other shots, I'm pretty sure it's a vent now.

And sure, you can send me the link if you want.

Is sneezing considered rude in Japan..
No. I don't understand what you could've come across to make you think so. To my knowledge it's not, but there is something connected to it.

I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but for here, it is said that when your ears are burning, that means someone is talking about you. In Japan, if you sneeze, that means someone is talking about you.

No. I don't understand what you could've come across to make you think so. To my knowledge it's not, but there is something connected to it.

I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but for here, it is said that when your ears are burning, that means someone is talking about you. In Japan, if you sneeze, that means someone is talking about you.
then maybe cleaning ones nose is rude in Japan? that's why most of the restaurants in japan don't want to allow foreigners in because they clean their nose in Restaurant(though in their home country this type of action is the good way). when i was in Philippines, cleaning ones nose is rude but sneezing isn't,

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom