• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime The Japanese Culture Thread

That's what the horn is for. Not many people are aware of this, but the ways people use them in western countries (e.g. honking as you pass a friend) are actually illegal and (on rare occasion) you can be ticketed.
where i live, there are no real laws in reguards to using your horn. the police dont care as long as you arent being agressive with your honking. if you constantly lay on your horn at someone who cut you off, you will likely get a ticket. but if you honk at a friend passing by they really dont care that much. the only times i use my horn is when someone may cause an accident by hitting me or have someone or a deer dart infront of me, whenever i pass one of my friends on the side walk, overtaking another car on a 2 lane road, picking up one of my friends or leaving their house, or i will blow the horn occasionally to make sure it works with little to no traffic around and on rare occasions have a friendly honk war when me and my friends are driving our cars in the middle of nowhere. a friend of mine who lives in japan says that her and most of her friends use the horn very close to what many people in the states do. and over their they use their car's horn as a way of saying thanks like how you would wave at someone who let you go ahead of your turn at a 4 way stop or let you change lanes on a busy highway.reatily speaking i can safely say i use my horn more then what my japanese friend does but around8-0% the time i use my Saturn's horn so someone wont run into me. i dont belive i have an issue with it, just i am a bit more liberal when it comes down to using the horn

Can I ask something? Are there Japanese people who eat Western foods for breakfast or dinner? Such as corn, mashed potatoes, steak, etc.? Because I wrote some fan fic characters eating Western foods and some SJWs said it was disturbing and offensive of me to do that (and they didn't even bother to politely explain how I could rectify it).

Western style food is called "yoshoku" and I am pretty sure there would be, but just not on a regular basis. Whoever said that is just trying to think they know it all.

Last edited:
Can I ask something? Are there Japanese people who eat Western foods for breakfast or dinner? Such as corn, mashed potatoes, steak, etc.? Because I wrote some fan fic characters eating Western foods and some SJWs said it was disturbing and offensive of me to do that (and they didn't even bother to politely explain how I could rectify it).

If I understand it right, finding some Western foods will be more difficult and probably more expensive in Japan. I really can't imagine that Japanese never eat foreign food. It's not like Western food is unknown there, for heaven's sake.

Speaking as a fellow author I say ignore those silly knee-jerk reactions. It might be an interesting idea for you to find out how Japanese people tend to alter Western recipes to suit their own tastes

Another question: I saw a very good Ghibli movie called Only Yesterday, and while I do love it, there's one scene that bothers me: the main character flashes back to a time when, as a child, her father gets angry and slaps her for...going outside with just her socks on, no shoes. I heard from somewhere that going out in just your socks, not shoes, is the same as going out in your underpants, and I know the Japanese have a thing about cleanliness, but...huh? I don't really get it, and I can't find anything about it on the internet either.

I know the subject is five months old, but on the subject of western food in Japan, yes, the Japanese do have restaurants that serve western foods and they do eat it, happily. At least the few Japanese people I have come across from their twitter accounts. I mostly watch them for their artwork, but a good chunk of them will occasionally post pictures of the food they ordered at restaurants, a lot of the stuff being western foods like waffles, pancakes, steaks, even stuff from McDonald's. How ironic that they got mad at you for being "offensive" in regards to that, yet it's more insulting that they're pretty much insinuating that Japanese people are only limited to what they believe is "Japanese" like onigiri and udon noodles, as if their nation is going to be ignorant to anything else. It's so dumb that I would just ignore those people.

As for the Only Yesterday question, I am unsure of that one. I myself have never seen the movie, but even then, I've never heard of beliefs like that. It is possible it could have been a belief at the time period it took place in, but I'm not the person to answer that.

As for the Only Yesterday question, I am unsure of that one. I myself have never seen the movie, but even then, I've never heard of beliefs like that. It is possible it could have been a belief at the time period it took place in, but I'm not the person to answer that.

I totally recommend you see it! It's a wonderful movie, even if it's mundane and slow.

I know the subject is five months old, but on the subject of western food in Japan, yes, the Japanese do have restaurants that serve western foods and they do eat it, happily. At least the few Japanese people I have come across from their twitter accounts. I mostly watch them for their artwork, but a good chunk of them will occasionally post pictures of the food they ordered at restaurants, a lot of the stuff being western foods like waffles, pancakes, steaks, even stuff from McDonald's. How ironic that they got mad at you for being "offensive" in regards to that, yet it's more insulting that they're pretty much insinuating that Japanese people are only limited to what they believe is "Japanese" like onigiri and udon noodles, as if their nation is going to be ignorant to anything else. It's so dumb that I would just ignore those people.

I know right?! Finally, somebody gets it, and yeah, I see what you mean. I heard that Japan isn't too fond of dairy products such as cheese, and I know imported fruits are hard to come by there, but it's not like the people there eat ONLY Japanese food. Though I wonder if the Japanese serve things like corn, mashed potatoes, or anything of the like.

Hamburger steak and Hamburgers in general are referenced quite often in Japanese Pop Culture, I'd imagine they know alot about things like that. Another thing to mention is that its not like we dont know about or eat Mexican food, or Italian food, etc.

I really hope no one minds me bumping this thread when the last post here was in May. But I really didn't want to have to create a new thread when there's already this. I hope that is otherwise okay.

I have a question that's rather specific and would likely require an intricate knowledge of Japanese lore. There is a certain spirit or yokai whose name I cannot find, and would be rather helpful to a project I'm doing. I have seen this type of spiritual monster in several different video games with identical appearances, so I am inclined to believe that it is an actual yokai and not just the creation of one game. This spirit looks like a round ghost with a single eye and a lolling tongue, and smiling face. If anyone here is familiar with the Legend of Zelda series, the description I've given matches with the enemies called Ghini. But again, I've seen this kind of ghost in other media as well so I firmly believe it is a particular kind of yokai or spirit.

Thanks.

Hey, my parents back in Tokyo have toast, cereal, or omlette every now and then for breakfast. And we often have spaghetti for dinner as it is my sister's favourite food. And whenever I am back there, we have steak every now and then. Absolutely nothing wrong with your fan fic characters; if this was even half-a-century ago in a lower-class family, then them eating western food daily may be a bit wired. But nowadays, it would be really strange if they don't have western cuisine every now and then. (y)

I do know things like steak are more expensive in Japan because it's an island and therefore most of the food that is easy to get, and therefore cheaper, is seafood.

As to running about outside in socks, I'll ask some of my friends if you really want me to but it seems like it's cause of not wearing shoes inside. You walk around outside with shoes on, stepping on the filthy streets that even if you don't step in feces yourself maybe someone else has and the residue is all over where you are walking. In general, the bottoms of shoes are unclean, which is why in a Japanese home you take them off when you enter the house and then put on inside slippers, usually while still wearing your socks. So I assume if you go outside in socks you're getting your socks filthy, which will then go inside your inside slippers, thus getting those filthy, and you walk around the house in those, so you're getting the entire house filthy. And guess who has to clean that up if you're a child.

Anyway, again if you really want me to I'll ask my friends in Japan about it.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom