• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

The Japanese Language Help Thread

XD375

Shane
Reaction score
Since we have some Japanese speakers and learners here, I thought this would be a useful thread. ^^

I'm quite new, and I'm wondering how I would write the word "Arena" with Japanese characters. I'm trying to write Pokémon Arena in Japanese, and all I have so far is ポケモン, the word for Pokémon. Is that Kanji or Katakana? Whatever it is, I'd prefer if Arena were written to match the same lettering. :]

Oh, and it's a bit offtopic, but is ポケモン ever actually used in Japanese to represent the word "Pokémon", or just ポケットモンスター?

Last edited:

Adamant

Reaction score
Arena?
アリーナ
Written in katakana to match what you already had (plus it's the only real way anyone would write "Pokemon Arena")

Yes, ポケモン is the official shortform for ポケットモンスター.

bell02+

when you need more, have+
Reaction score
Now a days, I see ポケモン more than ポケットモンスター in official stuff, to tell you the truth...

Satoshi-kun

...I think we're lost.
Reaction score
Since we have some Japanese speakers and learners here, I thought this would be a useful thread. ^^
Actually, I think this thread is a wonderful idea, thanks for making it. So that others can come back to it in the future with questions, I'm making it a sticky so that it's always on top. :D

XD375

Shane
Reaction score
Thanks Sato! :]

EDIT: I just noticed, two of my three posts in this thread are exactly the same. *shot*

MasterTrainer

connosieur of excellence
Reaction score
Hiya!

Reading the ("final" thought about the Arceus/Mew "problem".) thread in the PokeWorld section reminded me that I had a couple of interesting pics on the topic that have been lying around in my hard drive since last October. Sadly I have forgotten about its source. I think I got it off Pokesho.com but I could be wrong. (Do help me out with that little dilemma I have if you know where these are up!)

The trouble is that they both are in Japanese, so I can't make any headway on them.

Please help in there translation. They are quite amusing!
I've uploaded them both into my album.
Here you go: Mew and the Dinosaurs!

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=6717

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/picture.php?albumid=424&pictureid=6718

Max King

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
How would I write

Max King

In Japanese?

Reaction score
In katakana (I hope for the best here - I can see only squares!)
マクスキング
Should look something like:

If it doesn't look like the pic, it's wrong :p - someone else can do it!

Max King

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Yep, i can see it perfectly, no squares at all.
My comp for some reason can see all the symbols whereas other computers cant

Thank you Il Kanji

Reaction score
But does it correspond to the pic?

(Mine shows squares because I never bothered to install Japanese script :p Because I'm lazy)

Anna

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone translate

"Live to Love" for me?

I can't see the characters either, I guess it's not installed in my computer, so can I maybe get a screen shot of it? Thank you.

Ho-oh

Reaction score
And how about...
"Windows Vista",
"With sickening crunches, four-legged automatons crawled through the streets, crushing scattered bodies beneath their metal appendages."
This was copied and pasted from my fanfic... a random ctrl v.

Eh, just curious, that's all.

ShinyFlareon

bowtie coconut birb
Reaction score
Well, if anyone's serious about learning Japanese, I actually recommend that "My Japanese Coach" game for the DS. It is cheap, and also very accurate, teaching you how to read and write as well as speak the language. I hear those Rosetta Stone programs are also extremely good, if you can stand the $250+ price tag.

RexRacer

Level 98
Reaction score
And how about...
"Windows Vista",
"With sickening crunches, four-legged automatons crawled through the streets, crushing scattered bodies beneath their metal appendages."
This was copied and pasted from my fanfic... a random ctrl v.

Eh, just curious, that's all.
Well, Windows Vista in Japanese would be...
Windows Vista.

...and I'm not going to waste time translating the other one. If you're really curious Use a web translator.

Reaction score
Well, if anyone's serious about learning Japanese, I actually recommend that "My Japanese Coach" game for the DS. It is cheap, and also very accurate, teaching you how to read and write as well as speak the language.
:O I was saying just last week how useful a game like that would be! I didn't realise one actually existed. I gotta buy myself a DS...

ShinyFlareon

bowtie coconut birb
Reaction score
:O I was saying just last week how useful a game like that would be! I didn't realise one actually existed. I gotta buy myself a DS...
Well, you're in luck, then! ^_^ Or psychic. One or the other. But yes, the touch screen is put to good use with you practicing how to write the characters. The game also makes good use of the microphone, giving you an opportunity to match your pronunciation with that of Japanese speakers. The game itself is well-paced, too.

Ho-oh

Reaction score
...and I'm not going to waste time translating the other one. If you're really curious Use a web translator.
Yes, but all the translators I've seen translate directly in to Jap characters rather than romanization.

Oh well.