• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Japanese Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Verry Pissed Off Fan

Reaction score
This forum strictly applies to the Japanese CD Drama and the Japanese version of Mewtwo Returns. A Japanese friend of mine has confirmed everything that I am reporting as being official. If you do not accept the Japanese versions as official, then please don't reply. All responses should be based on the CONTENT of this post. Comments like "This isn't 1999" ignore everything that this post says.

Before I begin, I want to say that Mewtwo is my favorite character in Pokemon. This forum is not anti-Mewtwo. It is pro-Mewtwo.

The Japanese CD Drama Myuutsu no Tanjou (of which I have translated the script) is the official story of Mewtwo's creation. The things Mewtwo says in it seem like the dub of the first movie. He attacks trainers and enjoys it. We also learn that he knew what he was doing when he killed the scientists.

We also see the full story of Mewtwo and Ai. She dies and Mewtwo learns that he is just an experiment. It is very sad, and makes one cry for the young Mewtwo. But remember, a sad past does not mean that Mewtwo is not evil. That is like saying Hannibal Lecter is not evil because his sister was cannibalized by Lithuanians, or that Yami no Bakura from Yu-gi-oh is not evil because he saw his village destroyed when he was five. You can chalk up Giovanni's schemes to trying to prove himself to his mother. Childhood trauma can have severe side effects in adulthood.

In the American version of Mewtwo Returns, many think that Mewtwo befriended Ash. This is simply not the case. In the original (I have the DVD), Mewtwo could not understand why Ash saved him. He never said anything that translates to "thank you; I shall remember you always." It took TR's Meowth and Mewtwo's own clones to persuade him to spare Ash's memory.

Satoshi Tajiri created Mewtwo for Nintendo. He was intended to be the antagonist of the first movie. His tragic past is not meant to excuse his actions, but to explain why he became that way.

Let's also remember that in Japan, the Pokemon voices actors in Super Smash Brothers are the same as in the anime. Pokemon is officially part of the Nintendo universe. If Mewtwo no longer hates humans, then why does he side with Bowser and Ganondorf? In SSBMelee Mewtwo is the way he is in the CD Drama, and that's the way I like him!

So, you prefer Mewtwo as a tragic antagonist.

Fine, we don't mind. You don't have to prove yourself.

I prefer it as evil. So, we are sort of on the same page.

Are you the same dude who keeps posting the same stuff over and over again? Please stop spamming the forums with this, we already got your point of view, there's no need to shove it down our throats every five minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom