• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Japanese Music Thread! 日本音楽スレ!

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Again, because of a staff discussion about making some "culture-based" threads, I'm making some!! More on the wayyyyy~

But this one is about Japanese music, of any kind. J-pop, J-rock, punk, metal, emo, math rock, J-rap, anison, kayokyoku, enka, anything!!

So talk as much as you'd like about music (in English, we have a thread for Japanese conversation)! Hopefully this broadens your music tastes~!

また、スタッフのあたしたちは会話(世界の国の文化スレをいくつか作るについて)をしたので、もっとスレを作くってる!もっとが来る~!

このスレは日本語の音楽、何風だ。J-POPやJ-ROCKやパンクやメタルやエモやマスロックやJ-rapやアニソンや歌謡曲や演歌、何も!

好きに話してください(英語で、日本語会話のスレがある)!このスレはいい会話があってほしいわ!

Last edited:
I've been a big fan of Jun Togawa's music for a little while now, and it's exciting to see her getting some recognition and maybe gaining some popularity due to 好き好き大好き going viral on TikTok.

Originally, she started out with a sort of "anti-idol" persona; her schtick was subverting the typical expectations of a Japanese idol singer by utilising more disturbing & eccentric lyrics and themes in her music and experimenting with more unique or, unusually for an idol, less 'feminine' vocal techniques.

She's a really interesting figure both as a musician & as an artist in general, and I would really recommend checking out both her music and learning more about her if you're in any way intrigued.

Here's the MV for the aforementioned song - it should give you a pretty good idea as to what she's all about.

• Staff
I'm into all sorts of Japanese music, really, but I love the Japanese pop punk scene.
Bands like AIRFLIP, Dizzy Sunfist, ELLEGARDEN, dustbox, SpecialThanks, For A Reason, and many many more have basically been the music that's made me who I am, or something. I just love the positive happy vibe just coming through their music--to me I feel like it's a bit different from American versions of modern (post 1990's) pop punk, where the sound was a bit more "emo". This is probably because I listen to more melodic bands--and I bet that American melodic punk, like pure pop punk bands DO exist, but I'm comfortable with what I know lol!

Right now I'm actually listening to Lights and Signs by For A Reason! Great skatepunk/poppunk energy to start my day lol!

Japanese math rock is also VERY complex too. Uchu Conbini, susquatch, JYOCHO, and Kyojaku. are really nice bands that have a variety of sounds! Uchu Conbini and JYOCHO have the same guitarist and similar voocals, actually, and both go with kinda a "clean" sound. Uchu Conbini is very technical, whereas JYOCHO is more "complete". I always listen to 美しい終発サイクル (the beautiful cycle of terminal) by JYOCHO whenever I'm feeling down or sad, they add flutes to their music and it's SO beautiful!!! I've seen susquatch been described as jazzy, which I guess is neat!

I don't listen to much J-Pop, but I do love Sangatsu no Phantasia for their kinda guitar-based(?) sound, and just it's nice lol. I also love the peggies, they're just an amazing poprock band and their songs are all so amazing! They cheer me up too~

So...that was some of the music I listen to!! Oh as for pinoko, she's a nice Japanese rapper too~

I've been listening to some of Yuyoyuppe's music lately.

I discovered his stuff a while back through his older Vocaloid music, specifically the album For a sick boy (2010), and I still really adore that combination of metalcore with Luka's vocals. Though I'm also listening to Wall in the presence (2011) off and on, and I'm liking it quite a bit so far; it's a bit lighter and definitely gives off a different vibe from the former album, but it's still a pleasure to listen to.

Apparently he also produces some music for Babymetal (he even composed the song "Kagerou"), and I can totally hear it now that I know that...

Last edited:
  • Staff
I've been listening to some of Yuyoyuppe's music lately.
I discovered his stuff a while back through his older Vocaloid music, specifically the album For a sick boy (2010), and I still really adore that combination of metalcore with Luka's vocals. Though I'm also listening to Wall in the presence (2011) off and on, and I'm liking it quite a bit so far; it's a bit lighter and definitely gives off a different vibe from the former album, but it's still a pleasure to listen to.

Apparently he also produces some music for Babymetal (he even composed the song "Kagerou"), and I can totally hear it now that I know that...
I know of them through the Project Diva games! DYE and Palette are two songs that are good! Luka doesn't get many songs I feel like, so that's cool too~

Is anyone a fan of The GazettE on here? I'm a big fan of rock and metal music in general, and The GazettE is one of my favorite bands ever. X Japan is a good band too.

I like to listen to J-Pop and Eurobeat (I'm sure it counts, right? A lot of Eurobeat music is in English, but some of it is produced in Japan or made for a certain anime) sometimes when it comes to other genres.

Last edited:
about 50% of my playlist is japanese music lol
i love vocaloid, my favorite producers are siinamota (rest in peace), wowaka (also rest in peace), pinocchio-p and nayutalien.
i also rlly like j-rock, my favorite band is probably yorushika, they made a lot of songs that really resonated with me when i was younger, and got me out of a really bad mental space in early 2020.

wow!!! excited about this thread. i listen to a decent amount of japanese music... most of it is pop, because that's what i can find (though i'm really, really interested in finding more from other genres. i'm just very bad at it lol). first and foremost i have to mention yorushika, like toastghost did! they're my faaaaavourite band in the world, they really mean a lot to me. there's a lot i could say about them (on my personal website, i made a shrine for them in which i wrote over 1000 words about them...), but to keep it as short as i can, i think they're very unique, amazingly skilled, and sound truly amazing. i recommend them to everyone! despite being labelled a rock band, i really think they have songs for everyone to enjoy.

my other 2 favourite artists in the world also happen to be japanese: aoba ichiko and lamp. aoba ichiko does folk music, and it's very beautiful; she has an enchanting voice and the music itself is lovely. it feels like water and blue/purple. lamp is an indie band... i don't really know how to classify it, i'm awful with genres, but wikipedia labels them "shibuya-kei." their music reminds me of flowers or sunsets/sunrises... they feel like the colour yellow. also, a few other japanese singers/bands i enjoy are chelmico, sai yoshiko, and hyakkei. chelmico is a rap duo, and their music is really fast and upbeat. it's very fun! sai yoshiko is another artist i don't know how to classify, but her wikipedia says "psychedelic folk"? her music tends to have a melancholy, quiet feel about it, and her voice is very, very, very beautiful! lastly for hyakkei, they are called an instrumental post-rock band, and for me their music feels like autumn and red-orange. it's pretty relaxing and nice to listen to. there's definitely a lot of others i like, but i'll just stop here to keep it from getting too long...

Well, anime openings and endings are definitely something to look forward to. My personal favorites will have to be the City Hunter openings, especially Angel Night by PSY-S. The favorite ending song of all of them is Get Wild by TM Network. That one can fit for many endings out there, and not just in anime.

I've kinda been listening to doujin music from the 2000s for some reason lately (mostly trance songs) for some reason.. I guess I just like the sound from that era if that makes sense.

Two tracks I've found myself listening to a lot:

Well, anime openings and endings are definitely something to look forward to. My personal favorites will have to be the City Hunter openings, especially Angel Night by PSY-S. The favorite ending song of all of them is Get Wild by TM Network. That one can fit for many endings out there, and not just in anime.
Yeah, it's another reason I like that we get legalized Tokusatsu program. Good background music to go with the action.

This is my favorite japanese band (and singer), the whole album is great.

Some of my favorite anime osts are unreleased.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom