• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: The Journey of the Golden Delphox

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
(rated E10+ for fantasy violence and frightening images)

Building on my worldbuilding thread about my imagined version of Hisui, here is an adventure (mainly slice of life, but some adventurous episodes) though my version of Hisui. Be warned--things may change as the release date to Pokemon Legends: Arceus approaches, and we finally play the games for ourselves. (so there will likely be a hiatus to comply with any spoiler rules at that time)

So for now, enjoy!

Prologue: A Note from Serena, Called Golden Delphox

People of the world:

What follows is an account of my travels and adventures across the north of Waku, called Hisui, and beyond. My goal in writing this book is to offer you a window into this beautiful land, its people, and its culture, in hopes you will gain an appreciation for a culture different from yours. While there are many differences between Waku and other cultures, I feel that there are some things that are the same regardless of region or language--we celebrate together, we mourn together, we laugh together, and we come together when the land needs us most.

I owe my most heartfelt thanks to Haruka, called Jade Beautifly, Satoshi, called Ruby Phoenix, Kasumi, called Sapphire Dragon, Takeshi, called Emerald Raikou, and Hikari, called Pearl Deerling, for being the greatest adventuring companions, and for all they have done to assist in my research for this book.

I hope that even if you never set foot in Waku, that these tales will entertain you and enlighten you, and that they will be shared and enjoyed by others for ages to come.

So come with me to the Hisui region--and see all that it has to offer.

Serena of Croquis, called Golden Delphox among the martial artists of Waku.

Last edited:
  • Staff
Episode 1: A Tale Under the Great Tree

When I am not adventuring and traveling across Hisui, my home base is a small village known as Celebration Village--named in honor of the many festivals and celebrations that happen throughout the year.

One of my companions, Takeshi--known as Emerald Raikou to the martial artists and warriors in the area--is the village's resident storyteller, or kataribe, as they are known in the Wakunese language. The kataribe serves as the teacher to the children, and entertainment to the children at heart. Every morning, he travels to a huge maple tree nearby the village, and the children meet him there. For hours, he will weave them tales of great heroes, otherworldly creatures, wise sages, and more, all accompanied by the vina--the Wakunese harp...

The sun was high overhead Festival Road as Serena followed the children of Celebration Village to the huge maple tree at the crossroads. Takeshi was already present, fine tuning a beautifully decorated bow shaped harp. "All right, everyone...let's get settled, and I will begin my tales for today."

Excited, Serena fumbled for her notebook. If I write these down, I might be able to include them in my book--with Takeshi's permission, of course. she thought as she listened to Takeshi play 'The Scent of Flowers Everywhere'--his preferred tune to signal that one of his hours long storytelling performances was beginning.

Once the last note faded into the sunny sky, Takeshi began the first tale to come to mind. "Once the great warrior-miko Kanade was traveling along the western coast when she encountered a funeral procession." he began over a sad melody. "It turned out the priest of a nearby village had died, and the elder asked Kanade if she could serve in the village until a new priest was sent from the Aiiro City. Kanade agreed, and grew to be well liked in the village because of her wisdom." "But why was someone as famous as Kanade wearing humble traveling clothes?" a girl asked. "A messenger answered that question a few days later." Takeshi replied over a mystical melody. "Kanade once served a village some miles away, where she would protect the townsfolk from a greedy and corrupt magistrate. The magistrate wanted to badly injure, or even kill Kanade to serve as a warning to those who opposed him."

Even Serena grimaced in anger as Takeshi continued "Kanade fled during the night, but the magistrate sent pursuers after her. Luckily, Kanade had long since lost them." Relieved sighs filled the air. "The villagers, however, wondered what to do if Kanade was somehow discovered." Takeshi went on. "The elder replied that since Kanade had done so much for them, it was only fair they help her in return."

He intoned "But little did the villagers know that Kanade's pursuers had made camp outside of town."

Nervous whispers accompanied the vina's uneasy song as Takeshi went on "The elder believed Kanade would be caught if she fled by land, so he arranged for one of the village's fishermen to take her across the sea, to Olive Harbor."

He began playing a series of glisses to simulate a storm. "During the night, a fierce storm blew up, and despite Kanade's and her guide's efforts to keep the boat under control in the howling wind and rain, the boat sprung a leak. Although her guide was clearly afraid, Kanade climbed onto the prow of the boat, and sang into the storm..."

Gatrandis favel,secret, edena... Serena sang as Kanade.
Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
Emusto koron zen fine, si...

Takeshi acknowledged his companion with a nod, then continued the tale. "As the last note echoed across the stormy sea, an old Shellder shell attached itself to the leak, allowing Kanade and her guide to continue on through the storm. When her guide asked Kanade just what she had sang, Kanade explained it was a powerful holy spell asking Arceus directly for help--and in response, Arceus had sent the Shellder shell to fix the leak."

"Oh"s went up, but Takeshi wasn't finished with Kanade's trials yet. "But the boat was damaged, and couldn't hold up much longer--it finally broke apart moments away from the coast, throwing Kanade and her guide onto a hill covered in Shellder shells."

"Ew"s went up at this. "Kanade had been knocked out cold from the landing, so her guide decided to carry her up the hill, never mind how cold and slippery the Shellder shells were." Takeshi explained, calming down the nervous chatter. "As he braved the cold and slippery shells, he heard Kanade sing again..."

Gatrandis favel,secret, edena... Serena sang again.
Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...

"The holy spell gave Kanade's guide enough strength to reach the harbor." Takeshi concluded. "They say that Kanade sang songs of thanks to Arceus for a week, in memory of the kind villagers that had risked their lives to see her safe."

Applause filled the air at the story's end. "And thank you, Serena-san, for assisting." Takeshi smiled."

"My pleasure." Serena replied. "Is it all right if I include some of your stories in my book? Stories from around the world are popular in Kalusienne right now, and I'm sure my audience would like hearing what the stories of this land are like. I will credit you as the teller, of course."

Takeshi smiled. "I would be honored to help in your research, Serena-san. You are welcome to write my tales down, and I will include what is known about their background, and what other versions there are."

He smiled. "That, and stories are meant to be shared."

"That they are." Serena agreed as she watched Takeshi play a quiet melody to compose his thoughts for another tale...

Last edited:
  • Staff
Episode 2: Translating a Timeless Story

I have made an effort to teach Satoshi how to read and speak Kalusien so that he can translate Wakunese texts never seen before by Kalusien audiences--stories, plays, novels, and the like. Likewise, he will sometimes translate what Kalusien tales and novels I have into Wakunese--adapted for a native Wakunese audience. This means the resulting tales often look nothing like their Kalusien counterparts--for example, Cinderella is renamed Hai-hime (which is usually translated Princess Ash, but can also be translated as Lady Ash). Instead of going to a ball, Hai-hime goes to the summer festival, where she catches the eye of the daimyo's son.

Haruka enjoyed Satoshi's Wakunese take on a Kalusien story, so now he has been tasked with writing the script for the ensuing play. I can't wait to see Haruka's students perform it!

"...and done!" Satoshi smiled as he wrote the last few characters of a sentence. 'The Legend of Hai-hime' is ready!"

"Hai-hime?" Serena asked as she arrived in the study to see Satoshi's finished Wakunese adaptation of 'Cinderella'.

"Hime typically means 'princess', but it can also be translated as 'lady'--particularly a noble lady." Satoshi explained as he offered Serena the collection of papers filled with Wakunese characters. "I tried to balance the original story and what a Wakunese audience would understand."

"Hm..." A smile formed on Serena's face as she read Satoshi's work. "This is good...having the daimyo give Hai-hime some impossible tasks to finish is a nice expansion on the original story..."

A knock snapped Serena from her thoughts. "Coming!" she called as she hurried to the door.

She smiled when she saw Haruka framed in the doorway. "Haruka-san, what a surprise!"

"I came when I heard Satoshi was working on translating and adapting one of your Kalusien stories." Haruka explained as Serena invited her inside. "If it's complete, I'm open to adapting the story into a play for the students to perform."

"Well, here it is..." Serena gave Haruka the stack of paper with Satoshi's writing on it.

"If you have any feedback or suggestions on how I could improve it, please tell me." Satoshi agreed as he joined the girls in the living room.

"Let's see here..." Haruka studied Satoshi's rough but neat characters. 'The Legend of Hai-hime'..."

"Basically, the tale is about a man with three daughters, but the two elder ones force the youngest to do all the work." Satoshi explained. "Since one of her chores is sweeping the ash from the fireplace, the two elder ones call her Hai-hime--Princess Ash."

"Oh, so that's where you got Hai-hime..." Haruka mused as she continued reading.

"The summer comes, and with it the summer festival." Satoshi went on. "While the two elder sisters go out to enjoy the festival, they leave Hai-hime at home to prepare the rice for their dinner. Hai-hime's lonely tears reach heaven, where Arceus, in His mercy, blesses the rice, making it cook itself! He also grants her a kimono of many colors to wear to the festival."

"And then?" Haruka asked, bemused by Satoshi's rough drawing of what he imagined the rainbow kimono to look like on one page.

"Hai-hime arrives just as the festival is getting underway, and the people are amazed by the rainbow kimono." Satoshi continued. "Not even her own sisters recognize her! But among all the festival goers is the daimyo's son, who is of age to choose a bride. After performing a festive bon odori together, Hai-hime uses that opportunity to slip away, making it home well before her sisters do. But in her haste to get away, she accidentally leaves a sandal behind on the festival grounds. The daimyo's son finds it, and tells his father he will search all across Waku to find the lady in the rainbow kimono."

He went on. "Some time passes, and the daimyo's son comes to the man's house. The sandal doesn't fit the two elder sisters at all, but when he tries Hai-hime's foot, it fits perfectly!"

"In the original Kalusien story, the story's happy ending would be right there." Serena explains. "In some Kalusien versions, the two elder sisters try to prevent the youngest from seeing the noble."

"I borrowed some elements of that, actually, but I felt Hai-hime should at least have the chance to reunite with her sandal." Satoshi explained. "The daimyo's son takes Hai-hime to his father's castle, but the daimyo isn't so sure his son should marry a common girl. So he decides to test her--and if she can pass the daimyo's three challenges, he will allow them to marry. Otherwise, she is forced to return home."

"All right, and what are the three challenges?" Haruka wondered as she flipped another page.

"For the purposes of my text, I made them to slay a thieving Emboar, to build a bridge in one night, and to find an enchanted sword to slay a Hydreigon." Satoshi explained. "But if you wish to adapt my text into a play, you may make the three challenges whatever you like."

He concluded. "Despite the elder sisters' efforts to harm their younger sister; Hai-hime accomplishes all three challenges, with help from the Legendaries and some heroic Pokemon. The daimyo gives his blessings for his son and Hai-hime to marry, and all live happily ever after.

"If this were me writing the story, I would change the Emboar into something else..." Haruka explained. "I would keep the sword and the Hydreigon, of course."

She returned the text to Satoshi. "With your permission, I would like to adapt your work into a play for my students. Would you be willing to learn to write a script for them?"

Satoshi nodded. "I would be honored to write my adaptation as a script--if you will teach me how to write a proper script."

Serena just smiled as Satoshi settled before the desk to start on a script version of his adaptation. Good luck, Satoshi... she smiled as Haruka explained how to format a cast list. With Haruka helping you, you should make a great script! I can't wait to see the students perform it!

• Staff
Episode 3: A Day at the Academy

Not far down the road from Celebration Village stands the Oran Blossom Theatrical Academy, a drama school that my friend Haruka--known as Jade Beautifly to the martial world--opened up to teach the local children how to act, and give the local villages something they can be proud of.

Since Haruka was once herself an actress, she has an intimate relationship with the colorful and dramatic world of the Wakunese stage.

Currently, the number of students enrolled (across Celebration Village and nearby villages) is 386. While Jade Beautifly, the school's founder and headmistress, does teach and help plan the lavish productions (by school standards), there are other actors and crew members on the staff to help teach, care for the school's day-to-day operations, and perform the plays.

Unlike most theatrical academies in the area, there are no auditions required to enroll in the school--just a desire to learn and the dedication needed to put into the rigorous training...

The campus of the Oran Blossom Theatrical Academy bustled with activity as Serena arrived to deliver Satoshi's script, plus share the re-imagined story with the students.

She spotted Haruka in the foyer, seeing off some of the green clad first years to class. "Here it is...Satoshi-san's adaptation transforming 'Cinderella' into 'The Legend of Hai-hime'."

Haruka accepted the script and smiled as she thumbed through the pages. "This is good...Satoshi clearly put a lot of effort into this script. It's simple enough for the first years to understand, but enjoyable enough for the older students too."

"She motioned for Serena to follow her down a hallway. "If you'll come with me, you can tell them this reimagined story, and we'll revise the script based on their feedback."

---------

"Now then..." Serena addressed the hundreds of excited first year students before her. "The story I want to tell you today is based on a tale originally from my adopted homeland of Kalusienne, and reimagined for a Wakunese audience. So here is 'The Legend of Hai-hime'.

With that, she started the story. "In a certain village somewhere in Waku, there lived a man with three daughters. The two eldest ones were proud and haughty girls, and forced Yuki, the youngest, to do all the work."

"That's not very nice!" a student protested, despite Haruka's quiet assurances to calm down and listen.

"Since one of her chores was sweeping the ash from the fireplace every morning, the two elder ones called her Hai-hime--Princess Ash." Serena went on.

"Oh"s went up as the students figured out what the nickname meant. "Before too long, the spring turned to summer, and that meant the summer festival." Serena went on. "There would be games, performers and craftsmen from all across Waku, and of course, the bon odori."

This got the students excited. "The first day of the festival finally arrived. While the two elder sisters made plans to enjoy the festival, they told Hai-hime to stay home to prepare the rice for their dinner." Serena went on. I'm not as good with voices as Takeshi-kun is, so I'll just skip over dialogue...

She continued "Despite Hai-hime's pleas that she wanted to enjoy the festival too, all she could do was watch as her sisters joined the festive crowds in colorful kimonos. She could hardly wash the rice--her tears fell on the floor like summer rain."

"Poor Hai-hime..." a student sighed.

"Hai-hime's lonely tears reached heaven itself." Serena went on. "The Great Arceus heard Hai-hime's cries--His heart ached that someone was left behind on a festive day. So He sent some divine mahou to help Hai-hime."

She smiled. "Imagine Hai-hime's surprise when she saw the rice bowl glow, and the rice cooked itself! Then in another flash, she saw a kimono of many colors--a divine gift to wear to the festival. After whispering her thanks to Arceus. Hai-hime got ready, and hurried as fast as she could to the town square."

"And then?" the students asked.

"Hai-hime arrived on the square just as the festival was getting underway." Serena explained. "To say the townsfolk were amazed is putting it lightly. Many wondered if she was a lady, or even a kami. Not even her own sisters recognized her!"

She intoned "Now, among all the festival goers was the daimyo's son..."

"Kenta!" a student suggested.

"All right, we'll call him Kenta." Serena smiled, accepting the student's suggestion with a nod. "Kenta had come of age that year, which meant he was ready to choose his future seishitsu--his bride. It was almost time for the bon odori, so after finding Hai-hime in the crowd, he invited her to join the dance.

Haa, hanabi agareba...Ha-a, kansei agaru... a few students sang.

"Yes, just like that." Serena smiled as some teachers quieted the singing. "After performing a festive bon odori together, Hai-hime used the dance ending as an opportunity to slip away, making it home well before her sisters did. But in her haste to get away, she accidentally left a sandal behind on the festival grounds. It did not take Kenta long to find it. He promised his father he would search all across Waku to find the lady in the rainbow kimono."

She went on "Some time passed, and Kenta eventually came to the man's house. The sandal didn't fit the two elder sisters at all, but when he tried Hai-hime's foot, it fit perfectly!"

Cheers filled the room at this "Kenta took Hai-hime to his father's castle, but the daimyo wasn't so sure his son should marry a common girl. So he decided to test her. If she could pass the daimyo's three challenges, he would allow them to marry. Otherwise, she would be forced to return home in shame..."

---------

...When the daimyo heard how the two elder sisters had tried to harm Hai-hime, he ordered them banished from the land, never to return again." Serena concluded some time later. "He then gave his most heartfelt blessings for Kenta and Hai-hime to marry. The wedding was a grand affair, and talked about across Waku and beyond."

Applause filled the air, spurring Serena to get up and take a bow. Maybe I could ask Haruka to let me take an acting lesson or two!

HEEEY it's been a while!

And this was a fun read, I'm reminded me of the travel journals of Fukuzawa Yukichi, who you may have heard about before.

I'm glad you imagined lore for the Hisui region is coming together in a way that's meaningful and special for you, I think the fact that they decided to give ancient Sinnoh an entirely unique name to help establish its distinct history really gives the green light to a great deal of imagination, and it'll be interesting to see how close you come to the yet to be revealed full details of what GameFreak has in mind.

Regardless of the "accuracy", any differences will make your vision that much more meaningful.

Ok, I just read the prologue and chapter. Very good stuff so far. I like Takeshi's role as kataribe; reminds me of his role as parent figure/caregiver to his younger siblings in the anime.

Quick question: what are your inspirations for writing the Kagayou Tour Collection? I think it's a really cool series, and while I jump from story to story a lot, I'm looking forward to reading all of the stories.

Also, what language is the song that Serena sang written in?

• Staff
@more than a torchic

For a long time, I always believed with so many siblings in the house, Brock would likely know how to spin a yarn and sing a song or two. This is why he is often depicted as a singer-songwriter/storyteller in my imagined Pokeworld; and as a minstrel or minstrel-like class in fantastic Pokeworlds

As I was building the world of the Kagayou Theater, I initially wanted to have them tour Shinou first (hence "The Brilliant Diamond Stage"), but then I thought about how people outside of Poke-Japan (which I like to call Waku, after an ancient name for Japan) would react to the wild and colorful world of the Tawame theater (which is basically Chinese opera, Japanese kabuki, and a sprinkling of the Takarazuka Revue inspired animes Revue Starlight and the currently airing Kageki Shoujo!! ran through a blender), and so I started making a map of an expanded Kalos that included a LOT more of real France. Initially, I planned to do the expanded Kalos and a fanmade Poke-Italy, but then I remembered Galar and had to put an expanded Galar on the to do list as well (which may throw in Ireland on top of England and Scotland, but I may have Poke-Ireland and a Poke-Spain be their own stories.) At the moment, the expanded Kalos map is the farthest along, so I hope to start that story soon.

I actually borrowed the Swan Song from the anime Symphogear for Serena's song in the story--it's explained in this universe (and my imagined Pokeworld) as a powerful desperation spell, but it can be sung for show with no side effects.

In universe, it translates to:

I open my heart to reveal a secret power...
Which I promise to use to end the rule of evil...
The song in my heart becomes this power...
Will I fight even to the end? Yes.

the actual song)

Last edited:
  • Staff
Episode 4: The Honor of a Warrior

In the land of Hisui, martial arts are king. Waku is already revered for its swordsmen, so it is no surprise there are dojos everywhere, teaching all manner of fighting skills to all willing to learn. In addition to your standard weapons, some dojos will teach you how to fight with instruments, puppets, and even paintbrushes and other household implements!

Almost every martial artist, mystic, performer, warrior, and the like will often take a martial title that reflects their abilities or a part of their heritage. For instance, my title is Golden Delphox because of my agile and acrobatic form of fighting, which is influenced by my Kalusien heritage.

While most Hisuian warriors are good and honorable people, there are some that seek to cause trouble--and it is every honest warrior's duty to bring these rogues, as well as corrupt officials, evil warlords, and yokai--the Wakunese term for monster or evil spirit--to justice--no matter how long it takes.

But sometimes while on these adventures, not everything is as it seems...

Inside the reception room of the elder's house, Serena and the others watched as a young man pleaded for help. "...I am the son of Kyosuke, who you may know as Bright Wealth. My father’s estate was viciously attacked by wild Pokemon--Arcanines, and Luxios!"

"Arcanines? Luxios?" Elder Spring gasped. "How did you manage to get here without being burnt or shocked?"

"I only survived because my father threw himself before some Luxios, buying me the time needed to escape and seek help." the young man explained. "I beg you, great one, please send help to run off the wild Pokemon, and check on my family. I fear the worst!"

Elder Spring nodded, then looked over at the group. "Golden Delphox? Would you and your companions like to investigate this matter, and aid Silver Coin?"

"With pleasure, Elder." Serena replied. "Where do we need to go?"

Satoshi watched as Elder Spring gave Serena the directions to Bright Wealth's house. "Is it just me, or does something not feel right about Silver Coin?"

"Yeah...I have a feeling our friend Silver Coin may not be who he claims to be." Hikari agreed. "The ninja know who speaks the truth, and who is lying. But let us travel to the house, and see if what he claims is true."

---------

The group balked when they found the house and its fields still overrun by Arcanines! "Well, we at least know the part about wild Pokemon is true..." Takeshi muttered as he contemplated how to scare off the striped canine Pokemon and the blue, black and gold lion Pokemon that had nearly picked several lifeless bodies clean.

An idea came to him, prompting him to charge some green ki in his right fist. "Brace yourselves, it's gonna be a bit shaky for a minute..."

Once Serena and the others had found something sturdy to hold onto, Takeshi unleashed his attack. "World Shaking Fist!"

The Arcanines and Luxios dashed away in panic as the earth appeared to move like a wave of water for a moment, battering any Arcanine and Luxio in its path. Once everything had settled, Kasumi called "Clear!"

"Who's here?" Serena heard a female voice call from her position near the house. "Can someone help me?"

"Everyone! There's someone alive here!" she called, spurring the others to hurry over and examine what looked like a door hidden in the house's leftmost wall.

"Who knew that a merchant would have a hidden room here?" Hikari mused as she carefully opened the hidden door, revealing a frightened girl inside what she presumed was an emergency shelter.

Takeshi hurried to the girl's side. "Peace, miss--we're here to help you."

"I am Jade Coin, daughter of Bright Wealth and younger sister to Silver Coin." the girl explained. "Before Father made his noble sacrifice, he locked me in here, saying not to come out until it was safe."

"Was Silver Coin with you when the attack occurred?" Haruka asked.

"No--I saw him place a hunting lure by the road leading to the house, and then depart." Jade Coin explained.

A thoughtful look formed on Kasumi's face as Haruka continued talking with Jade Coin. "This doesn't match up with what Silver Coin told Elder Spring earlier...Silver Coin told Elder Spring that the Arcanines and Luxios came on their own--but now we may have a case that Silver Coin deliberately led them to attack..."

"Did it look like this?" Hikari asked as she warped in the room, holding up a feathery hunting lure that resembled a flame and a thunderbolt.

Jade Coin nodded. "Yes, that's the lure! My brother was irritated at our father’s refusal to retire and hand over his merchant holdings to Silver Coin..."

"...so he lured some Arcanine and Luxios here to kill his own father!" Serena concluded.

"Let's go get the magistrate..." Satoshi suggested.

"But before we can arrest Silver Coin, we have to do something about this lure..." Kasumi warned. "We don't want more Arcanines and Luxios to come..."

Serena unfurled a golden ribbon with Delphox patterns on it. "Pull!"

A loud crack filled the air as Kasumi heaved the lure in the air, allowing Serena's lash to shatter it into a thousand pieces. "Okay...NOW we can go get the magistrate." Serena smiled as she coiled the ribbon back by her side...

---------

Takeshi watched as Silver Coin was led away by the magistrate's men some moments later. "Treachery doesn't pay..."

"When the magistrate arrived, he denied Jade Coin’s claims that he was anxious to inherit the business, and swore to the love he had for his family." Elder Spring explained as he joined the group. "Even after you showed him the remnants of the lure, he continued to proclaim his innocence, claiming that Jade Coin was always the one who had an interest in hunting. But having known Bright Wealth and Jade Coin, I have to agree that possessing a hunting lure would be out of character for Jade Coin. The only bows she knows of are the kind tied in hair."

"Needless to say, Silver Coin won't be getting out of that prison cell for a long while!" Serena smiled.

"That, and Jade Coin will do very well carrying on her father's legacy in Celebration Village." Elder Spring agreed as the group started back down the road to Celebration Village...

All right, I just finished the second chapter. I'm guessing we'll be seeing the cast perform Hai-hime in the next chapter or so.

Also translating stories. Good stuff. There are countless versions of the Cinderella story across the world and across history, and I love almost everyone of them. I like the retelling in this story a lot. I really like how you incorporated translating stories into the story. Neat stuff, as someone who spends hours trying to translate Pokémon fanart and as someone who geeks out about things like ancient libraries.

Episode 5a: Golden Delphox and the Ogre (part 1)

Wakunese plays don't resemble Kalosian plays at all. Rather than go on and on for hours in a flowery monologue that often covers several topics, the Wakunese theater conveys any important information in song--even in the middle of scenes.

While there are occasionally sword fights and battle scenes on the Kalosian stage, the Wakunese stage goes one step farther--actors and actresses are expected to know how to dance, fight, play a number of instruments, and perform acrobatics. Wakunese actresses are not often prizes for a villain, and they are by no means pining for a lover while the men venture forth--they are warriors as much as the men, and are capable of rescuing themselves from whatever evil comes their way.

Every Wakunese actor is considered part of a role type--and they will often play this type of role for their whole career. But there are some that don't fit any specific type--these are called houkaku actors, which literally means 'traveler' or 'wanderer'. Houkaku actors play whatever type of role that is needed for a play, or serve as the narrator.

Takeshi is an example of a houkaku actor--one moment, he is narrating a play for Haruka's students and on the festival stage, but the next moment, he might be the resident harpist of the Emperor's palace, a traveling storyteller, or even an arrow-slinging hero

The Oran Blossom Theatrical Academy's main theater hummed with activity as parents, guardians, friends, and community leaders gathered to watch one of the seasonal productions. The first years had performed their show a few days before, and now it was the second years' turn to perform "The Legend of Watanabe".

Serena quickly found a seat near the front, aware of Haruka giving the play's introduction, and that there was an intermission between Act 1 and Act 2. I made it! I promised Haruka i'd come see some of the students perform, so here I am!

"...so please enjoy the thrilling tale of 'The Legend of Watanabe'." Haruka concluded her introduction of the play. Applause went up as she departed the stage.

A vina flourish heralded Takeshi appearing in a spotlight at stage right. "Long ago in the High Jewel City, the people of the city were terrified by accounts of a dreadful oni." he began. "Rumors said the oni haunted the Living Silk Gate at twilight. Those the oni captured were never seen again. Everyone was afraid, and no one dared venture out after sunset near the Living Silk Gate."

Fearful murmurs and whispers filled the air, but Serena was more interested in Takeshi's costume than anything. That's beautiful... she smiled as she admired the elegant green robe with silver trim her companion wore. The costume students did well making sure that even the narrator's robe is perfect!

"Now, there lived in the High Jewel City a general named Raiko, who had made herself famous for her brave deeds as a demon hunter." Takeshi explained as he played a soft, heroic melody. "Many were the stories of her adventures, and everyone in Waku had heard one tale or another of her exploits."

He added as an aside "But those tales are other stories for other times."

Some laughter rippled through the theater at this. "This brave lady was always followed by a band of faithful knights--five heroes of great valor." Takeshi went on before his spotlight went off and the curtains opened on the set of a general's quarters, where five students in Wakunese warrior's armor pretended to eat prop food or rest.

After a few tense moments, one of the students got up. “Have you all heard the rumor that every evening after sunset there comes an oni to the Living Silk Gate? It is said he captures all who pass there."

"Do not talk such nonsense!" a student in red and gold armor shot back. "All the oni I know about were slain by the Lady of Thunder, Raiko!"

The orchestra played a triumphant flourish at the mention of Raiko's name. Even if any oni escaped our lady's holy blade, they would not dare to show themselves here, for they know that our brave mistress would attack them immediately if she knew that any of them were still alive!”

The orchestra started a dramatic melody. Do you not believe what I say to you? the student playing the first knight sang. Do you think that I am telling you a lie?”
I promise you, that I speak the truth
As surely, as Arceus, rules the sky!

Calm yourself, Hojo-san, and listen to me,
the student playing Watanabe sang back. I do not believe that you tell a lie.
Perhaps you have heard a tale from Oba-san,
Which warns this is not something you should try.

Then the best way to prove what I say is true,
Is a challenge that I now give to you!
the student playing Hojo sang.

Travel to the gate tonight,
And see the fiend for yourself!

I accept this challenge, and I will go tonight!
the student playing Watanabe sang over a swell from the orchestra.
And see the fiend with my own eyes!
But before I can make the journey there,
Give me something that will serve as proof!

The orchestra played a tense stinger as each of the five students playing the knights wrote their names on a piece of paper. The student playing Watanabe then stashed the paper in a bag. With this paper, that now bears your names, he sang.
I will tie it somewhere on the gate
Then when Ho'oh makes her daily journey across the sky,
All will know the oni is slain!

Serena's applause was the loudest as the song concluded. I don't know what Haruka and the other teachers do to have the students sing so well, but they need to keep doing it!

The vina quieted the applause as the lights went down. "That night, Watanabe got ready, and journeyed to the Living Silk Gate." Takeshi narrated from stage right, playing an uneasy melody all the while. "It was a dark night, and there was no moon or star to light the way."

The drums and some of the flutes joined in with the vina as it began "raining" on the stage. "To make matters worse, a storm rolled in." Takeshi went on over the glissandoes he was playing to mimic falling rain, the flutes mimicking wind, and the drums mimicking thunder. "The rain fell in sheets, and the wind howled like Mightyenas in the mountains."

Serena jumped at the flash of light that mimicked lightning "Any ordinary traveler would have trembled at the thought of going outside in such conditions." Takeshi explained. "But Watanabe was a brave warrior, and his honor and his word were at stake. So he rode on into the night, while his companions watched."

As the "storm" died down on the stage, Takeshi intoned. "They wondered what would happen—and whether their comrade would encounter the oni."

Episode 5b: Golden Delphox and the Ogre (part 2)

While the Wakunese play is considerably longer than your average Kalosian play, abridged versions are available for schools and community troupes that may not have the time or the means needed for the full adventure. This is often the case with Haruka's students, as well.

For example, they felt that Watanabe, a great hero and demon hunter, should have dispatched the monster at the Living Silk Gate (a prominent landmark nearby the High Jewel City in the south) immediately. So they sped up the story and cut the part where the ogre comes looking for its arm...

The "storm" on the stage gave way to "rain" and an uneasy melody from the vina. "After a very long time, Watanabe reached the Living Silk Gate." Takeshi narrated over the song he played. "But try as he might, he could see no sign of an ogre, or any other yokai." he let that hand at the lights came up on a set of a Wakunese road, with a prop torii gate at center stage.

The student playing Watanabe arrived some seconds later. "It is as I thought. There are no ogres here; it is only an oba-san's story. I will stick this paper on the gate so that the others can see I have been here when they come tomorrow morning.”

With that, he carefully climbed up a hidden stairwell to the top of the torii gate, then tied the paper with the other characters' names to it. "There...my task is complete."

Just as he was about to leave, a sound effect of a growl got his attention. "Who's there?"

Serena jumped as one bansi blasted a note that resembled a scream as a huge ogre puppet lumbered onto the stage. I always know that that part is coming, but it still surprises me!

"Watanabe’s eyes grew wide with wonder, for he saw that the ogre was taller than the great gate." Takeshi narrated over the gasps and fearful murmurs in the audience over the massive puppet. "His eyes flashed like lightning, and fire roared forth from his massive maw."

Amazed gasps and fearful chatter filled the air as the ogre puppet actually did appear to breathe fire from its mouth. "How do they do that without setting the puppet ablaze?" Serena asked Satoshi, who was savoring the tense music the orchestra was playing.

"It's not actual fire--it's paper strips colored to look like flames and lit by one of the effects Rotoms." Satoshi explained. "This way, the performers--and the puppet--are unharmed."

"The ogre thought to terrify his foe, but Watanabe stood firm like the willow tree--never bending, and never breaking." Takeshi went on. "He attacked the ogre with all his strength, and the battle raged for a long time."

With that, the orchestra and the vina began an exciting melody as the student and the puppet clashed on the stage....

---------

Finally, after about thirty minutes of a well rehearsed fight progression, the student playing Watanabe cut a target where the ogre's heart would be, if it was real. Cheers filled the air as the ogre puppet disappeared in a cloud of smoke, the "storm" on the set dissipated, and the orchestra played a victorious song as the lights brightened, signaling a sunrise. "Thanks to Watanabe's bravery, no yokai bothered the High Jewel City for a long time." Takeshi concluded over a victorious song. "Once more the people of the city were able to go out without fear even at night. The brave deeds of Watanabe have never been forgotten across Waku and elsewhere. But those are another story for another day!"

Serena's applause was the loudest as the lights came up for the curtain call. She wasted no time finding Haruka after Takeshi, the student-actors, the orchestra members, and the crew had taken their bows. "That was wonderful!"

"Thank you..." Haruka smiled. "Originally, there was a whole extra scene where the ogre comes looking for its arm, but the students felt that Watanabe should beat the ogre fair and square. That, and Touya, who played Watanabe, really wanted to fight with the puppet."

Just then, a boy emerged from the dressing room to meet Haruka and Serena. "How did I do, sensei? I hope my Watanabe was good enough..."

"You did wonderfully." Haruka assured her student. "You remembered the fight progression just like you practiced with the fight trainer, and your song sounded like a hero like Watanabe should sound--brave and confident."

"So no one heard some of the notes wavering at all?" Touya asked, relieved.

"Even if they wavered, I didn't notice." Serena assured Touya. "If you and your classmates keep working hard and cherish what Haruka-sensei has to teach you, you'll be great actors. But even if you don't find work on the stage, acting skills can also carry over to the public sphere."

"Interesting...I never thought that acting skills would be helpful in other ways." Touya mused. "Thank you, Serena-san, for your wisdom. I promise I will work even harder, and become a great actor known for playing heroes!"

Serena smiled as Touya hurried to find his family in the crowd. "That reminds me...any word on when you plan to perform 'The Legend of Hai-hime?' she asked Haruka as the group departed the auditorium.

"The first years have already performed their show for the showcase, so when I showed them the script, they were enthusiastic to perform it." Haruka assured Serena. "At the moment, I am holding auditions for roles, so if any of you want a part, I can set up an audition."

"I will be happy to narrate as many shows as you like." Takeshi assured Haruka. "That, or assist in a class on narrating well."

"The students love your style of narration--simple and to the point, without too many flowery words or descriptions." Haruka smiled.

"If you must use those at all, they give character to the setting, what is happening in the story, or what the characters feel." Serena agreed. "I liked how you compared Watanabe to a willow tree, or describing the ogre's mouth as a 'massive maw'. That's a far cry from Kalusien narration--a Kalusien narrator would be saying "See the hideous monster! See now how it approaches our hero, each step making the ground shake! See the tongues of flame issuing forth from its great orifice of terror!"

Everyone laughed at Serena's melodramatic narration. "That would be one weird play!" Satoshi laughed as he pictured the ridiculous scene.

"Yes--a good narrator never tells the audience how to react." Takeshi agreed. "It's what I always tell Haruka's students--good description of the scene is much better than being told to look at this or that. If you set the scene well, the audience will respond naturally from that."

The group stopped walking long enough to put their hands together. "Let's put on many great shows together!"

"If only Kasumi and Hikari had come..." Serena sighed. "They missed quite the show!"

Episode 6: A Custom of Silver Village

In the Wakunese mind, the entire world teams with spirits, gods, and demons. Great care is taken to welcome the gods and good spirits, and keep the evil spirits and demons away. It is commonly believed that doing not-so-good things will attract demons and evil spirits.

One example of the stranger kinds of evil spirits in Wakunese lore is futakuchi onna, the woman with two mouths. One terrifying folktale tells of how a miser turned from his wicked ways thanks to his encounter with
such a monster, who in many stories can take other forms. In Takeshi's hometown of Silver Town, a version of the story explains a common springtime custom...

Serena watched from nearby as the children met Takeshi by the Great Tree for their daily session of tales and songs. I wonder what sort of tales he will tell today? she thought. Hopefully I can feature a selection of the monsters, gods, and spirits of Wakunese lore in my book!

Once the children were settled, a vina chord signaled Takeshi was starting his performance. "In my hometown of Silver Village, in the eastern part of Waku, the people hang Cheri blossoms on their front doors in the spring. In addition to looking beautiful and festive, they also keep monsters and evil spirits away."

"What kind of monsters and evil spirits?" a boy wondered.

Takeshi just smiled. "One example is featured in my first tale for today--a miser's encounter with the futakuchi onna--the woman with two mouths."

The children shuddered with anticipation as Takeshi started an uneasy melody. "There was a young man--his name is not important--who enjoyed getting gifts, but never gave anything he owned to those in need." he began.

He stopped his song long enough to comment "This was probably why he never found a wife."

Laughter filled the air at the wry comment. "One day, a girl came to the man's house and asked if she could stay for the night." Takeshi went on, still playing his uneasy melody. "The man invited her in, but when morning came, she did not leave, but cleaned the house and provided for him. He didn't even find it odd that she never ate any food--she made food for him, but never ate any herself."

"That is odd..." a girl mused as Satoshi joined Serena in listening to the story.

"The other townsfolk were convinced the girl wasn't human, but the man didn't believe them." Takeshi went on. "Eventually, the townsfolk told him to look in the storehouse. When he did, he found it empty, despite it being full seconds earlier."

Many of the children swallow hard at this. "The next day, he told the girl he was going into town." Takeshi explained, his uneasy melody growing more urgent as he spoke. "But this was only a ruse to find out what was actually going on."

Satoshi looked over at Serena and smiled before readying his own flute to play the scream-like note that a monster or other villain had appeared. "He hid in the attic, where he saw his wife making rice balls and fish." Takeshi explained before finally revealing the monster in his tale. "Then, she undid her hair, which concealed a mouth in the back of her head! It turned out his wife was actually a futakuchi onna--the two mouthed woman!

Even a few of the children screamed along with the flute at the monster's appearance. "The man was terrified, and ran away as fast as he could." Takeshi went on, playing a few sweeping chords to simulate running. When he looked back to see if the futakuchi onna was following him, he saw his pursuer had transformed into an oni--the mighty ogre of the mountains."

He led his last chord fade away before intoning "Try as he might to run, the oni was faster. The man was captured and dragged into the mountains, presumably to be the oni's next meal."

"And then?" The children were on the edge of their seats to know if the man escaped.

A grin on Takeshi's face comforted the antsy children. "Thankfully, the man wriggled free and grabbed onto a tree branch. But the oni transformed into an Arbok, and chased the man again. The man arrived in a field, where he found a statue of Arceus. In his terror, he invoked the statue's holy power..."

He next sang Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
Emusto ronzen fene el balaziis...

Once the last note faded into the morning sky, Takeshi assured the children "Arceus appeared to the man, and told him that if he wanted to live, to stay put where he was. The man did as he was told, and hid behind the statue. As he waited for word on if it was safe or not, a Cheri tree in bloom near the statue got his attention, and an idea came to him. What would happen if he were to throw some of the divine pink flowers at his foe?"

"So what did he do?" a boy asked.

"After carefully picking a few Cheri blossoms, the man heaved them at the Arbok, defeating it." Takeshi explained, to cheers over a triumphant chord. "Arceus told him to scatter Cheri blossoms at the front door to his house so the futakuchi onna wouldn't return."

He smiled at the children's relieved faces. "It goes without saying the miser turned from his wicked ways after that!"

Relieved giggles went up in agreement as Takeshi concluded "To this day, that is why people in Silver Village decorate their front doors with Cheri blossoms on the first day of spring."

"No wonder we see Cheri blossoms hanging over your house every spring..." a girl smiled as the applause for the tale died down. "So you remember everyone at home."

"And it keeps monsters away from Celebration Village, too!" a boy agreed.

"You even had ME afraid for a moment, Takeshi-san...." Serena admitted. "That was more chilling than any ghost story in Kalusienne! Is it okay if I include this tale in my book? I will credit you as the teller, of course."

"Of course." Takeshi smiled. "You would likely need an entire book--or more--just to discuss the many monsters, gods, and spirits of Waku."

Serena nodded. "For the moment, I will include just a sampling of such tales in a chapter of their own. If demand is great enough, I would feature more in a sequel."

"Let's get the first book published first before we worry about sequels." Satoshi suggested, to the laughter of the children as Takeshi thought of a more lighthearted story to tell...

Last edited:
Episode 7: Following the Rainbow

Aside from Arceus Himself, no Legendary is more revered in Waku than Ho'oh, the golden rainbow phoenix.

Ho'oh is seen as one of the many guardians of Waku, and is the incarnation of the sun and rainbows. The three Great Beasts--Raikou of the thunder, Entei of the divine flame, and Suicune of the north wind--report to her. She is also seen as the guardian of travelers, often appearing to guide heroes on great journeys. It is said that if you spot her flying, you should follow her--the resulting journey will often be worth your while!

The clanging of a shrine bell filled the air as Serena said a quick prayer to Arceus. Great Lord, I long to see more of Waku, including my hometown of Pure White Village. I ask that any such journey be a pleasant one, filled with good company, and that we are protected from evil and misfortune every step of the way.

Her prayer complete, Serena got up and prepared to depart. "Thank you." she smiled at the miko on duty, who was adding another prayer slip to the wishing tree. "I asked Arceus for a chance to travel, and for a safe journey if I get the chance to do so."

The miko nodded, then found a blank prayer slip to write down what Serena had prayed for. "So long as your request is pure and sincere, Arceus and the Legendaries will surely grant it." With that, she tied the slip with Serena's prayer on it to the tree.

---------

Later that afternoon, Serena was helping Satoshi tend the garden when she saw a bright golden light approaching from the east. Despite rushing to shield her eyes from the light, she swore she saw the shape of a magnificent golden bird, with a rainbow trailing from its flowing golden tail, headed for the south. "What was that?" she asked as several more people came out from their houses, eager to get a glimpse of the bird-like being before it disappeared in a flash of gold.

"That was the Golden Rainbow Phoenix, Ho'oh!" Satoshi gasped. "They say that if you see her, you are to follow her--and the resulting journey will be very lucky indeed."

Serena nodded. "Maybe that was Arceus giving me a sign to answer my prayer...I stopped by the shrine earlier today to pray for a chance to see more of Waku--and maybe even see Pure White Village again after a long time away."

"It's possible--but it could also be a yokai trying to play a prank or something worse." Satoshi cautioned. "So the best way to know for sure is to ask a Squirtle or a Wartortle. They are revered as auspicious Pokemon, so they would know if this was a sign of an answered prayer or a yokai's trap."

He assured Serena "I'll continue weeding and getting some vegetables for tonight's dinner--you can go see Akagame, my Squirtle."

Of course! Akagame! Serena remembered, then hurried to the northern part of the garden, where a Squirtle was sleeping in the middle of a lotus pond surrounded by flowers. The Squirtle was just barely visible inside its shell, so Serena ran a finger across some wind chimes in hopes of gently waking it up.

[mrrgh...oh, it's you, Serena-san.] Akagame yawned as she emerged from her shell. [You look troubled...]

"Well, we both saw something amazing a short while ago, and I want to be sure it's not a yokai trap." Serena explained. "I believe Satoshi and I just saw Ho'oh."

[Did you see a bright golden light from the east?] Akagame asked.

"Yes--and the being inside the light resembled a bird Pokemon of some kind." Serena explained. "I also remember seeing a rainbow trailing from its flowing golden tail as it headed for the south."

Akagame smiled. [That's Ho'oh, all right! She is showing you the way towards a grand journey to the Aiiro City. But as it is too late to travel now, you should make plans to set out within five days.]

Serena nodded. "That should give us plenty of time to pack...thanks, Akagame! I'll ask Satoshi to save you some of the Krabby meat from dinner."

[You're welcome.] Akagame smiled as Serena gave her a hug, then returned to the eastern garden, where Satoshi was gathering up the last of the vegetables to use in cooking that night.

"Well?" Satoshi asked.

"Akagame said that we really did see Ho'oh--and she is leading us on a grand journey to the beautiful Aiiro City!" Serena exclaimed. "So we need to set out within five days."

"That should give us plenty of time to pack for such a long journey." Satoshi replied. "And see if anyone else wants to come."

He returned to his waiting vegetables. "We can plan the route over dinner."

---------

"Now then..." Satoshi began as he unfurled a map of Waku. "If we follow the road south of here, we should come to Flying Dragon Station, at the very end of the Inner Road. From there, we follow the Inner Road until we reach Adding Grass Station, where we should get onto the Central Mountain Road. Then we follow that road until we reach the East Sea Road, and then follow that road all the way to the Aiiro City. All told, a little less than two months. If Haruka wanted to come, we could easily fit the trip into a quarterly break, so she wouldn't have to worry about her students."

"The spring quarter is almost over--assuming Haruka is not teaching any summer classes, she should be able to come with us--and with her wind mahou, we should make it back in time for the fall quarter." Serena replied. "No matter what route we take, it should make for an interesting trip!"

Episode 8: The Road to the Aiiro City

Waku may be a land full of islands, but it has a highly developed road system for travelers that wind all across the islands, and provide a land option if traveling by boat is not an option.

Initially designed for the Imperial Post, the roads are marked by checkpoints along the way known as post stations. Originally, it was only the mail riders, or yubinkishu, who stopped at the post stations, usually to rest, pick up mail that had been postmarked at that station, and drop off mail intended for delivery. Over time, the post stations have become entire towns--even more so since Emperor Wataru opened Waku. In addition to yubinkishu, other travelers will stop at a station too--usually to rest, replenish supplies, learn the latest news, send and receive mail, see the latest hit plays, and even leave requests for a hero for hire. Needless to say, life in a post station is never dull!

Like many things in Waku, the post stations have colorful names--usually in reference to something nearby, the area's natural beauty, or local folklore...

"A trip to the Aiiro City, here we go!" Serena smiled as the group met in the square of Celebration Village. The entire village had come to see them off, and many were chattering excitedly about what the group would see on the long trip. Some worried about the group taking a boat when they had no sailing experience; while others worried about bandits or yokai.

"I'll be all right..." Haruka assured one of her students. "I'll try to send letters at as many stations as I can, okay?"

Satoshi watched as the others said their goodbyes. "I don't know if this is worthy of the book, but many of the main roads were built with the Imperial Post in mind. I'm not sure if His Grace Sir Wataru plans to extend the road network into Hisui yet, but the Imperial Post network we have here will do nicely."

"I wonder if we'll see the Imperial Palace while we're there..." Serena wondered. "It would be an honor to meet Emperor Wataru, and tell him about my book..."

"Perhaps if it grows popular elsewhere, the emperor may hear of it, and invite you to the palace." Haruka suggested. "Not just anyone can go inside...usually someone that did a deed of great value, or served as an ambassador of Waku and its culture."

"The only time most common people ever see him is on his birthday, when many come from all across Waku and beyond to wish him well." Hikari agreed. "Unfortunately, that has already passed for this year."

About then, Takeshi noticed everyone had said their farewells, and had received blessings for a safe journey. "Everyone...we're off!"

Cheers filled the village as the group of six departed down the road, many of them heaving flower petals and calling well wishes all the while...

---------

For a while, the road south was uneventful. Takeshi led the way, with Satoshi and Serena not far behind. Kasumi, Haruka, and Hikari followed them, each one vigilant to wild Pokemon, bandits, or yokai.

"Okay...if we keep following the road south, we'll eventually come to Flying Dragon Bridge." Satoshi explained. "There is a post station there, as well as a port if you'd rather travel by boat."

"Flying Dragon Bridge is so named because it looks like a dragon flying over the water separating Hisui from the rest of Waku." Kasumi explained to Serena. "It is a very strong, and sturdy bridge--so it would be a shock if it ever did go out. There is a post station near the bridge, so travelers from Hisui can take advantage of the services there before crossing into the rest of Waku."

"Fascinating..." Serena smiled as she wrote the note down for reference.

A yellow flash in Satoshi's bag got her attention. "What the..." she gasped as Pikachu nimbly jumped into Satoshi's shoulder.

"I see you've met Inazuma...." Satoshi smiled as he petted the Pikachu. "I tamed him as a companion before leaving Pure White Village on my own journeys."

"I see...smaller Pokemon you typically don't have to be worried about, as they are easily tamed." Serena remembered. "It's the larger evolutions you have to worry about."

"The only exceptions are those larger evolutions that were tamed when young." Takeshi explained. "Even then, those are few and far between."

"Will our route be taking us anywhere near your hometowns?" Serena asked Kasumi and Takeshi. "I've wanted to see Azure Village and Silver Village..."

"Not necessarily...we will be passing the crossing that leads to Azure Village, but we will have to continue down the East Sea Road instead of turning north to reach Azure Village..." Kasumi sighed. "Azure Keep, my clan's castle, is not far from the village. There are also many families of hanabi makers in town as well, so every summer hanabi families all across Waku gather in the village to compete to see who has the most creative, colorful, and beautiful hanabi. I've judged some of these competitions, and I'm always amazed at what designs everyone comes up with every year."

"I'm sure hundreds of hanabi lighting up the sky each night is beautiful!" Haruka gasped, starry eyed.

"It is...if you ever find yourself in the area in the summer, come and watch!" Kasumi smiled. "The village declares the competition week a festival, so it's great fun for all."

"Our route will be taking us through Silver Village." Takeshi replied. "Silver Town sits not far from Eight Flag Station on the East Sea Road. Once you pass through a stretch of road called the Rock Village--so named because the rocks dotting the mountain plains resemble a village--you'll come to Silver Village. Silver Keep, my family's ancestral castle, overlooks the village. The local shrine is dedicated to Diancie--the Jewel Festival in the spring is a must see event. No one in the village is without a job, and those who grew up in the village return home for the festival."

"No wonder you always travel home in the spring..." Serena smiled. "I'm sure it's a beautiful festival!"

Last edited:
Interlude: A Game at the Station

A Wakunese post station offers the weary traveler many things--a chance to rest, have some food, care for Pokemon, send and receive mail, buy supplies, and entertain themselves when it is too dark to travel.

One such game available to travelers is mah jong--an ancient set collection game involving tiles that is similar to card games in Kalusienne. The rules are many and often confusing to the absolute beginner, but with some patience and the guidance of a skilled player, one can pick up on the basic rules quickly.

Mah jong was one game I missed in Kalusienne, so it warmed my heart to see some mah jong tables at Flying Dragon Station. But having been away for so long, I had forgotten many of the rules. Thankfully, Kasumi gave me a much needed refresher on the rules, as she, the boys, and Hikari played a game.

The tables are magically controlled, so all someone has to say is "asobō"--"Let's play"-- and the table will come to life, setting things up for a game in minutes...

Serena's eyes widened at a familiar green felted table in the gaming room of Flying Dragon Station's inn. "A mah jong table! I haven't seen one of these since I returned!"

"Would you like a a reminder on how to play?" Kasumi offered as she settled in at the South end of the table. "We've come a long way from Celebration Village, so I wouldn't mind unwinding with a few rounds of mah jong."

"Please do!" Serena smiled as Satoshi, Takeshi, and Hikari joined Kasumi at the table.

"Okay...the object of mah jong is to have the most points by the end of an agreed upon number of rounds." Kasumi explained. "Most Wakunese games will typically have one or two rounds in official play, but a friendly game like this can have more."

"Is four rounds okay?" Takeshi asked the others from the North end of the table.

When affirmative answers came in his direction, he told the table "4 rounds, 25000 starting points for all. Asobō."

Serena watched in awe as a completely set up mahjong tile wall and four starting hands appeared on the table in a flash of green light. "Good luck, everyone..." Satoshi smiled from the East seat as he made his first draw to start the game.

"On your turn, you draw a tile and discard a tile you don't need." Kasumi explained as she did likewise. "The object of the game is to build a hand of 14 tiles with at least one pattern, or yaku, in it. But you need to be careful with what you discard--your opponents can call one of your discarded tiles for themselves."

The game was relatively uneventful, until Serena heard Takeshi call "Pon!" and point out the nine of characters Kasumi had just discarded.

"'Pon' is the call you make when you wish to complete a set of three of the same tile." Kasumi explained as Satoshi and Hikari applauded Takeshi's move. "But making a call also reveals some of your hand to everyone else--many masters often don't make calls at all, as there are some yaku that are worth more if your hand is completely concealed. So making a call can help you win big, or backfire if you don't know what you're doing."

She smiled when she saw Takeshi discard a four of characters. "Pon!"

"Oh, I see..." Serena mused when she saw Kasumi had two more fours of characters in her hand.

She watched and listened to the soft, rhythmic clonks of discarded tiles hitting the table. But after a few tense moments, she hard Kasumi call "Ron!" as Hikari discarded an eight of bamboo.

She smiled as the others applauded her win. "All simples!"

"No wonder you got rid of all your terminals and honors during the first turns..." Hikari admitted as she gave Kasumi some of her point sticks.

"Terminals are the one and nine tiles of each suit, and the honor tiles are the wind and dragon tiles." Kasumi explained to Serena as the tiles reset themselves for the repeat of the first hand. "All simples is a hand with only the two through eight tiles in any suit. It's a good first hand for a beginner to learn, or a contingency hand of something more valuable doesn't pan out."

"Since Kasumi won as the dealer, the first hand of the first round repeats." Takeshi explained as he made his first discard.

After the first go around of the new hand passed uneventfully, Kasumi saw Hikari discard an elaborate phoenix tile. "Chii!"

She explained to Serena "Chii is the call you make when you want to complete a sequence of the same suit--such as 1-2-3. You can only make this call against the opponent to your left or right."

"Pon!" Serena saw Hikari point out a three of dots that Satoshi had discarded.

"Chii!" Kasumi called a seven of characters from Hikari a few turns later.

A few more tense turns passed before Takeshi discarded an east wind tile. "Ron!" Kasumi called again, prompting more applause at her second win of the round.

She told the group "Perfect Wind--East!" More applause went up at this.

"Well done, Kasumi-san..." Takeshi smiled as he gave Kasumi some of his point sticks. "So we shall repeat the first hand again...."

"Why do you announce the yaku to the others when you win?" Serena was curious.

"It's both confirmation of the win, and so that the others may appreciate your effort." Kasumi explained as the tiles reset themselves. "Perfect Wind is a pattern that happens when any wind tiles you have and your seat wind match the round wind--in this case, all East wind. This does require a little effort, but it's not impossible."

Serena watched as Kasumi discarded a white dragon to start the new hand. Kasumi-san is very good at this! I hope I can relearn enough of the rules to be as good as her one day!

Interlude: A Tale to Cross the Bridge By

Flying Dragon Bridge is named for more than its appearance. Some say that the bridge is just long enough to completely tell the tale of "Lord Bag of Rice" by the time you reach Three Stable Station on the other side. Others believe that the bridge is where the story supposedly took place (but there are several other bridges in Waku vying for that title).

Not one to refuse a storytelling challenge, Takeshi decided to find out if the claim that you could completely cross the bridge in the time it took to tell "Lord Bag of Rice" was true when we departed Flying Dragon Station the next morning...

"Here we go--crossing the bridge into the rest of Waku!" Serena smiled as the group prepared to leave Flying Dragon Station the next morning.

A thought occurred to her. "I wonder if it is true that you can tell the tale 'Lord Bag of Rice' in the time it takes to cross the bridge..."

"I know the tale well, so we can test that theory." Takeshi assured me as the group departed the station and approached the bridge.

After taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, he started the tale as the group stepped on the bridge. "Long, long ago in Waku; there lived a brave warrior known to all as 'My Lord Bag of Rice.' This tale explains how he received this title."

Kasumi smiled--she had heard the exciting story many times. "One day he went forth in search of adventure, as the warriors of Waku often do. He had not gone very far when he came to a majestic bridge, not unlike this one. No sooner had he set foot on the bridge, did he hear someone calling him. When he turned to see who it was, he was shocked to see a beautiful lady bowing before him. Her ornate headdress resembled a Gyarados head, and her pale blue and silver dress was patterned with shells and pearls. Our hero knew that this was no ordinary mortal--could she perhaps be a god?"

"Oh, but she was a god!" Haruka smiled.

Takeshi nodded in agreement before revealing who the lady was. "While these thoughts passed through his mind, he asked the lady who she was. It turned out she was Toyotama, daughter of Seiryu the Blue Dragon of the East!"

Cheers went up from some passersby at this. “Toyotama wanted our hero to slay a mighty Scolipede, who lived on a mountain on the opposite shore of the lake." Takeshi explained. "She told our hero that every night the Scolipede invaded the Lake Palace, and took one of her family captive. She feared that she would soon be captured herself, and appealed to any and all who passed. He was the first one who had stopped when she called, so that was how she knew he was a true hero."

He continued "Our hero was heartbroken for Toyotama, and vowed to do what he could to help her. "When he asked where the fiend lived, Toyotama explained the Scolipede slept during the day, so it would be better to wait until nightfall. She next cast a spell, summoning the Lake Palace from the water..."

Rou iitsa ron selga vichii... Kasumi filled in the song, creating a misty veil. While Serena knew the spell was just for show, she couldn't help but smile at the amazed looks of some children as they kept walking.

"After receiving a spell of water breathing, our hero was escorted to the Lake Palace." Takeshi continued. "He had never seen anything like this palace built of aquamarines, sapphires, pearls and white marble beneath the lake before, except in stories."

He continued "Toyotama told her Goldeen servants to bring food for her guest. The dishes were crystallized lotus leaves and flowers, and the chopsticks were of the finest pearl. As soon as they sat down to eat, the dining hall's doors opened and ten lovely Finneon dancers came out, and behind them followed a parade of Primarina singers, complete with a band of flutes, vinas, tikin, kanegens, drums, and more."

Haruka couldn't resist dancing along as Satoshi's flute and Serena's fiddle rang across the lake. "And so the hours flew by." Takeshi intoned when the festive song ended. "The beautiful music and dancing had banished all thoughts of the Scolipede..."

---------

"...The fame of his fortune spread far and wide, and as there was no need for him to worry about food or money. he became very rich and prosperous." Takeshi concluded as the group stepped off the bridge some time later. "From that time on, everyone knew him as My Lord Bag of Rice."

"...and we timed that perfectly!" Hikari raved as she applauded. "You told the whole thing in the time it took to cross the bridge!"

She pointed out a post station in the distance. "Three Stable Station is just up ahead!"

"I wonder why Three Stable Station is called that..." Serena mused as she stopped to put her fiddle away.

"It is named because it has three roomy stables to board Ponytas, or rent Ponytas if you need a mount in a hurry." Satoshi explained as he slid his flute back into its protective sleeve. "Since it's not unheard of for nobles, samurai, daimyo, and their retinue to ride on the road."

"If you do happen to pass a noble or daimyo's caravan on the road, stop where you are, remove any headgear, and bow in respect as they pass." Kasumi explained. "If they do wish to talk to you, the caravan will stop. Samurai are a little more tolerant about shows of respect, but you should at the very least stop and greet them.

"Most nobles we know of are honest and respectful." Hikari agreed. "But if we do encounter a not-so-good one, we can report them to a magistrate.

She showed Serena a chrysanthemum marking on her sleeve. "The imperial crest means we have the authority to pursue any not-so-good nobles or warlords direct from the emperor. The stories we could tell about those could even beat the tales Takeshi-san knows."

"Besides, the truth is sometimes more amazing than fiction." Takeshi agreed as the group approached the stations' front gate...

Episode 9: The Demon Honchkrow in the Blue Forest

After departing Three Stable Station, we had no further adventures of note for a while. We did pass by Field Palace Station, and the nearby Hopeful Plain Keep, but opted against going inside the keep. Kasumi had to remind Satoshi that most castles were residences first and foremost--and a warlord or daimyo would not take kindly to uninvited guests!

Once we got to Blue Forest Station, Satoshi was eager for an adventure of some kind. A merchant told us that a demon Honchkrow with millions of Murkrow minions lurked in the Blue Forest, nearby the station, and that the local daimyo had offered a reward to anyone that slew it. Despite Takeshi's misgivings about traveling at night, we ventured into the forest in hopes of a glimpse of a yokai...

"You're sure you want to do this?" Takeshi asked as the group made their way into the forest that evening. "We can turn back and return to the station..."

"I'm sure--Garasu has brought misery on this area, and I want to end the threat once and for all." Satoshi explained. "A daimyo's reward is simply a nice bonus!"

Takeshi sighed. "Okay...but I don't plan on returning to Celebration Village in a funeral urn..."

Serena shuddered as she saw the bluish sheen of the trees. "Well, now we know why this place is called the Blue Forest..."

"The moon's light gives the trees a bluish sheen." Kasumi explained. "Many warn against traveling in the forest at night..."

Suddenly, Haruka heard the sound of wings flying overhead, but nothing seemed to be there. "Did you just feel something fly past?"

"Good thing I've learned a few Sun clan jutsu as well as my Moon clan skills..." Hikari assured the group before calling "Taiyou magiiro no jutsu! Golden Sun's Luster!"

A bright white light formed in Hikari's hands, revealing a massive crow-like Pokemon flying through the trees. Once it stopped to rest on a high branch, it unleashed a deep caw, summoning many more smaller crow-like Pokemon. "That's Garasu, all right!" Satoshi grinned, unafraid of the large flock of crow Pokemon eying the group.

"I hope you know what you're doing, Satoshi-san..." Serena whispered, a note of fear in her voice.

Satoshi, meanwhile, unleashed a piercing whistle that echoed through the trees, startling the small crow-Pokemon. "Here, Inazuma!"

"Pikachu!" a small mouse Pokemon replied as it bravely darted up to the huge flock of crow Pokemon, sparking intently.

"I see...Murkrow and the larger Honchkrow are vulnerable to lightning!" Takeshi realized what Satoshi wanted to do.

"If Satoshi-san needs help, I have my own ice abilities on standby." Kasumi offered, drawing her twinblades in preparation for a fight.

"Ready your weapons, everyone--we may have to fight." Takeshi whispered as he nocked an arrow, then retreated to a bush for cover and protection. Serena drew her rapier, Haruka unfurled a gold Beautifly print ribbon, and Hikari readied a silver circle shaped weapon.

Minutes seemed to pass like hours as the group and the Murkrow flock stared each other down. Finally, the Honchkrow unleashed an attack cry, spurring the thousands of Murkrow to fly towards Satoshi and Inazuma.

"Now!" Satoshi called, spurring Inazuma to unleash a massive Thunderbolt that sent many of the Murkrow falling to the forest floor, paralyzed from the massive shock.

"Freezing Gust!" Kasumi unleashed a massive tornado of frozen air, freezing what Murkrows Inazuma didn't get. A crack of a ribbon was next to echo through the night--Haruka had managed to lash the Honchkrow before it could cloak itself!

"I have Garasu stunned--try to hit him with a Thunderbolt!" Haruka called to Inazuma.

[Here goes!] Inazuma squeaked. He fired another massive thunderbolt, sending more Murkrows fluttering to the forest floor. [Our demon-Honchkrow is summoning more Murkrows to replace what we get, so we need to focus on him first!]

Hikari noticed the Honchkrow, now only a ripple in the night sky, flying towards Kasumi! "Look out!"

Kasumi rolled away from the Honchkrow's massive talons, then fired a beam of ice from one blade, granting Haruka's ribbon ice power for a moment as she attempted to lash the Honchkrow again. Inazuma fired another Thunderbolt to dispel another wall of Murkrows, then hurried into the bush where Takeshi had taken cover. [Need an electric arrow?]

"Please do." Takeshi smiled as he offered the Pikachu an arrow.

Inazuma sent a few sparks into the arrowhead, making it turn green and spark "This should do it..." Takeshi smiled as he readied a shot at the huge Honchkrow headed for his position.

Everyone braced themselves as a green streak zipped into the sky, creating a massive green explosion of lightning! "Is it over?" Serena nervously asked as she sheathed her blade.

Takeshi emerged from the brush some moments later, with Inazuma not far behind. "We did it--Garasu will trouble this area no more." He made a grand gesture to the lifeless demon-Honchkrow on the ground, a sparking green arrow still in its chest.

Cheers filled the air as the demon-Honchkrow faded away in smoke, just as the sun peeked over the hill. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to help more in the battle..." Serena confessed. "A rapier isn't very good against monsters of the sky..."

"You did fine..." Satoshi assured Serena. "You kept your eyes on the sky, watching just in case Garasu made a move for the ground in your direction.

He turned business-like again. "Let's return to the station, and report our victory!"

"And hopefully get some sleep, too..." Serena agreed with a yawn--she had not anticipated the battle to last all night...

Episode 10: Phoenix's Song for the Delphox

While the most well known Wakunese flute is the side blown bansi, there are other flutes on offer for professional performance, and personal enjoyment. There is the end-blown kidi, (which sounds much softer and sweeter than its sideblown cousin), panpipes; or ashifue (literally "reed-flute"), and the ocarina-like kyudi (literally "sphere-flute")

Satoshi's must precious possession is a bansi, and he can play much more than the loud and heroic melodies of the theater--there are also many quiet and sweet solos in the solo repertoire. Takeshi has a kyudi, but it is mainly used for signalling, or attracting Pokemon--a skilled performer can mimic many different Pokemon. The bansi is also praised for its ability to mimic bird Pokemon--one of the most challenging and most famous bansi pieces to showcase this is "Birds Singing in the Great Cheri Tree". Satoshi is nowhere near that skilled yet--but he says learning to play that piece is one of his long term goals.

After our harrowing encounter in the Blue Forest, we claimed our reward, restocked our supplies at Little Harbor Station, and continued on our way. We were nowhere near a station when night fell, so we had to make camp for the night...

"...There." Serena smiled as she finished setting up her tent. Takeshi was starting a campfire, Kasumi was organizing supplies in her tent, Haruka and Hikari were talking together, but Satoshi was nowhere to be found. His tent is still here, so where did he go?

"Guys, have you seen Satoshi anywhere?" she asked.

Just then, a familiar bansi playing the tune "Morning on the Plains" echoed across the rolling hills. "There's your answer..." Takeshi assured Serena. "Serenading the stars and any wild Pokemon that care to listen."

Excited, Serena started down the hill. "I should be back by dinner." she assured Takeshi as she took her rapier--just in case--and hurried down the hill, making sure to follow her ears as the relaxed and yet joyful melody rang across the plains.

She found Satoshi by a small stream, playing the song on a well loved bansi with flame designs. A red tassel dangled off one end--a sign that the beautiful instrument had a powerful blessing bestowed on it. Inazuma was nearby, enchanted by his master's song.

When the last note echoed into the night, she couldn't help applauding--snapping Satoshi to attention! "Oh, Serena-san, it's just you." he smiled. "If Takeshi-san sent you to find me, I apologize for worrying everyone. I was merely inspired by this amazing view out here, and decided to play a bit."

"Oh, no--I came because I was the one worried." Serena assured her friend as Satoshi put his instrument away. "I guess a bansi can play more than just the loud and spirited tunes of the theater..."

The flute's red tassel dangling from its case intrigued her. "If I may ask, was your flute a gift, a family heirloom, or did you buy it yourself?"

"It was a gift from my mother, before I journeyed to Celebration Village." Satoshi explained as Inazuma bounded on his shoulder. "She knew I enjoyed playing the flute, and so gave me this one to remember her and the rest of the Pure Fire Clan by before I left."

"The Pure Fire Clan?" Serena wondered.

"The local clan of phoenix martial arts in Pure White Village." Satoshi explained. "My father is the current clan leader...and he understood my desire to see the world, and so did not force me to succeed him. But he said when I left that the choice to succeed him was mine, and mine alone. No matter what I did, he would be proud."

"Do you miss your clan at all?" Serena asked as the two of them continued up the hill towards the camp.

"A little, but I do send letters and gifts to them, to let them know I am well." Satoshi replied. "I also make a point to come home and visit on the New Year and the Festival of Remembrance in the summer."

"What other flutes are there in Waku?" Serena asked, changing the subject. "There's the bansi, and your ashifue you make from the reeds in Reedy Field..."

"The reeds in Reedy Field are technically a type of bamboo, which work very well for ashifue." Satoshi explained. "There's also an endblown flute called a kidi, and an ocarina-like flute called a kyudi. Usually a kyudi is used for signalling or attracting Pokemon for hunting, but playing music on it is not unheard of--Takeshi-san has played music on his before."

"I see..." Serena mused. "Is it possible to channel ki through a flute and cast magic?"

"Yes--and a flute is one of the easiest instruments to do this with, along with the vina." Satoshi went on. "Channeling ki through your voice is harder, however, since your body is not used to the immense power of ki. We all can do it to some point, but Takeshi-san can do it very well, since he trained to use it."

He smiled as the camp came into view. "Everyone! I'm back!"

"Welcome back..." Kasumi smiled. "Maybe you could show Serena-san some of that power you have in the orchestra."

"Don't worry..." Haruka smiled. "The next play we do that has an extensive bansi part in the music, I'll let Satoshi-san perform."

Satoshi just smiled as he settled before the campfire. "I'm looking forward to seeing 'The Legend of Hai-hime performed, actually."

"I plan to have it be one of the first plays of the new term." Haruka assured Satoshi as Takeshi served the group their dinner. "The rising second years--who heard Serena tell the story--wanted to perform it, so I will respect their wish. So you'll see your masterpiece performed before too long!"

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom