• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music “The Journey Starts Today” (FULL Version)

Yash

CHOCOLATE
Reaction score
Didn’t see this yesterday, but the full version of “The Journey Starts Today” by the band Walk Off the Earth was released onto YouTube:

What can I say? It slaps! Probably the best opening produced under the TPCI era, by far.

Love this opening! I'm not someone who vehemently disliked most of the past TPCI openings (there are a couple of exceptions) but it's really refreshing to have an opening that doesn't shoehorn "Pokemon" into the lyrics for once.

It's also nice to have a full version of the song to listen to, even though the opening itself is still only 30 seconds.

This was a really good song. I absolutely love the instrumental music, particular right when the song starts. The lyrics are good, the beat is solid, the singer sounds into the chorus and it does make me more excited to watch an episode. I've never had a problem with so many TPCI openings throwing in the word Pokemon, but I think that not doing that here gave them a bit more freedom to do something more with the opening. Even the typical friendship and togetherness doesn't sound as generic as it usually does since the focus is just starting off on a journey.

It is disappointing that they're still trimming the opening down to thirty seconds even for Netflix, although it isn't surprising in the slightest. Having a full minute would really make the opening itself so much better, but I'm glad that we're getting at least the full version. We don't usually get a full version of most of the dub openings and some of them have been lackluster. This at least feels like a full song rather than just slapping the chorus again. I agree that it's easily the best TPCI dub opening by far. Hopefully they'll continue to release full versions of dub openings in the future.

Oh cool, the full English opening!
*Clicks on video*
"This video is not available"
That sucks, but I guess I can still go on Spotify to listen to the song...
*Sees that the song is greyed-out on Spotify*
What the heck, just let me express my support for the band! It shouldn't be this hard for people not in western countries to listen to the song!

Well then, I guess I'll just listen to the unofficial AMV on YouTube.

I appreciate that they did a full version and that they made an effort for the final lines to sound different, but I don't see myself downloading it, I still don't like that instead of a chorus they repeated the same melody of "Oh oh oh oh oh oh" over and over and over and over and over again.

Easily the best theme song we had since Stand Tall! Mind you, I didn't mind the SM songs, the ultra legends song was my favorite of the bunch. But, this is like really good and it's done by Walk off the earth, one of my favorite indie bands. Also, they're Canadian REPRESENT!!

The three drum beats at the end make me wonder if maybe at some point they did try to have the word "Pokémon" chanted there.

Didn’t see this yesterday, but the full version of “The Journey Starts Today” by the band Walk Off the Earth was released onto YouTube:

What can I say? It slaps! Probably the best opening produced under the TPCI era, by far.

How is it even any good? I'd rather have a cringy opening like Alolan Sun than this fiasco. Cringe is funny, but it doesn't belong in a Pokémon theme song. This "song" isn't even music.

That was a great song. I think this may be the best one since We Will Be Heroes. I hope this is a sign of good openings to come.

This fiasco is beyond comparison to that gem, as well as the even better gem that followed it.

Easily the best theme song we had since Stand Tall! Mind you, I didn't mind the SM songs, the ultra legends song was my favorite of the bunch. But, this is like really good and it's done by Walk off the earth, one of my favorite indie bands. Also, they're Canadian REPRESENT!!

Stand Tall is mediocre, Alolan Sun is too comedic for a Pokémon theme, Alolan Moon is mediocre, Challenge of Life is great, but this? I wouldn't even call it a song.

How is it even any good? I'd rather have a cringy opening like Alolan Sun than this fiasco. Cringe is funny, but it doesn't belong in a Pokémon theme song. This "song" isn't even music.

This fiasco is beyond comparison to that gem, as well as the even better gem that followed it.

Stand Tall is mediocre, Alolan Sun is too comedic for a Pokémon theme, Alolan Moon is mediocre, Challenge of Life is great, but this? I wouldn't even call it a song.
I respect your opinion, but I think it’s a bit of an overreaction.

Personally, I enjoy the Journeys opening and find it pretty catchy. Not my favorite, but I still hum it every now and then.

Love this opening! I'm not someone who vehemently disliked most of the past TPCI openings (there are a couple of exceptions) but it's really refreshing to have an opening that doesn't shoehorn "Pokemon" into the lyrics for once.

It's also nice to have a full version of the song to listen to, even though the opening itself is still only 30 seconds.
Having the word "Pokémon" in every opening is not shoehorning.
I respect your opinion, but I think it’s a bit of an overreaction.

Personally, I enjoy the Journeys opening and find it pretty catchy. Not my favorite, but I still hum it every now and then.
It doesn't even have a human singer.

Sounds human to me. You can express your distaste for something without hyperbolizing its 'flaws', y'know.
It's basically a cyborg voice. It is stripped of the element that makes any individual's voice unique.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom