• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Re: So, what's the region gonna be based off of?

I hope not. GF usually base main-series regions on a city plus nearby towns (Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Sapporo, NYC) so unless this region is some dozen times the size of Unova, it would be generalising Europe too much. For comparison, Île-de-France (the province around Paris) has a similar population to Ontario, Ohio and is more populated than NYC (11 million vs 8 million, by my reckoning). It would be a shame to write off the diversity of Île-de-France as inferior to that of the other cities I mentioned.

Venetian-"style"? Certainly - GF borrows liberally from architecture no matter what the region is, cf Santorini in Hoenn. But I can't see GF generalising this Gen VI region as simply "Europe", ignoring smaller countries like Belgium, Andorra and most of Eastern Europe for the "theme park version" of Europe.

I probably should have worded it 'Venice-style' instead of 'Venetian' meaning a canal city. Plus, just because you use elements from a large range of places doesn't mean you have to cover the same area. Fiction of any type is really good for microcosming (yes I know it's not a word). Still if it's centered in France it's not like I'll be too upset. I mean this is the game some of us have been waiting for since Stadium first came out.

I'd quite like for it to be somewhere here in Europe, and I think France, Italy, Britain, Russia or Germany would be a great place to host a Pokemon game. Personally, I'd love it if Britain was chosen, but I think France or Italy are the most likely choices. I don't really mind where it's set, but those would be my top choices.

From the video being in France, I think it may be Europe. In that case, we may see larger areas covered in future games. Sort of like BW covering New York, New England, and San Francisco.

I hope some of it is based on Britain and there are towns like Birmingham and Brighton :D

I don't think it would come off that well to break Japan into so many different regions, as well as the US being barely covered with two regions, then cover the entirity of Europe with one region. Not only could it be quite insulting, they also significantly cut down on the maps they have to work with. They aren't bound to only France - the west of Johto isn't a part of the real world Kansai region - but that would be the majority of it.

Heavy Parisian, French, European influence. So it shall be quite Urban like Kanto, Johto, and Unova.

I read this somewhere:

Junichi_Masuda was just in France, and his Twitter photo is him with the Eiffel Tower
We have what appears to be an Eiffel Tower like structure in the trailer, together with other classical European style architecture
Starters based on things stereotypically associated with France, including Chestnuts, Frogs and Fennec
The Cartesian coordinate system (you know, X & Y) was developed by René Descartes, a French philosopher

Gen VI confirmed for France.

You can admit that you got it off *********/vp/ . At least thats the only place I've seen "confirmed for".

I know there's plenty of nay-sayers here, but Paris and Île-de-France provide plenty of opportunities without resorting to a stereotyped Europe:

Eiffel Tower we already saw (might have been the Obelisk of Luxor though).
Palace of Versailles we probably already saw - the place with the Golurk statue and the water.
The Notre Dame (cathedral)
Louvre (museum)
Arc de Triomphe
Paris Catacombs (would make a decent cave)
Champs-Élysées
Paris Métro

Need some bustling business hub? La Défense. An arty sort of area? Montmartre. Worried about the region being too urban? Paris has fields and forests in the suburbs and just outside the city proper.

How many real-life New York locations were Unova landmarks based on? The Subway, Liberty Island, the bridges...that's about it: everything else is basically artistic licence: Route 4, etc. You couldn't do justice to a French region or European region by leaving out any of the above landmarks.

Last edited:

Based on the tower and architecture of the towns Paris for sure.

I know there's plenty of nay-sayers here, but Paris and Île-de-France provide plenty of opportunities without resorting to a stereotyped Europe:

Eiffel Tower we already saw (might have been the Obelisk of Luxor though).
Palace of Versailles we probably already saw - the place with the Golurk statue and the water.
The Notre Dame (cathedral)
Louvre (museum)
Arc de Triomphe
Paris Catacombs (would make a decent cave)
Champs-Élysées
Paris Métro

Need some bustling business hub? La Défense. An arty sort of area? Montmartre. Worried about the region being too urban? Paris has fields and forests in the suburbs and just outside the city proper.

How many real-life New York locations were Unova landmarks based on? The Subway, Liberty Island, the bridges...that's about it: everything else is basically artistic licence: Route 4, etc. You couldn't do justice to a French region or European region by leaving out any of the above landmarks.

Île-de-France is pretty big. It could be enough for an entire region. I can see it... (I'll do another map!). Although I would like the region to have it's little Monaco, or towns and resorts in the 'Alps'.

It's pretty much confirmed - Paris and France in general, maybe other places from Europe. As European, and a tourist who visited Paris during September 2012, this is pretty exciting and looks nice! : 3 Paris is a beautiful city <3
And the fact that Masuda visited Paris three times in total during 2012 confirms this too! [No wonder he just said greetings and other stuff to me when I tweeted with him during all of his travels - I tried to ask him why he was there, but he completely ignored my question - I can see now why though XD]

I wanna see PokéFrance as well!~

I think it's rather clear that it is AT LEAST France, and possibly Europe in general.

Wonder what type of name it'll be given? Maybe something to designate it as the "Old World" as opposed to the "New World" that Unova's name sort of hinted at. Or maybe something tying into the dimensions or depth.

I hope some of it is based on Britain and there are towns like Birmingham and Brighton :D

Since Great Britain is a large island, like Hokkaido (probably even larger), I guess Britain itself could well be a region on its own, which would be pretty awesome. So no, let me disagree with you. Britain deserves being a whole region, not just an island from the bigger region.

I neither see nor understand why so many believe (let alone want) that the new region is gonna be based off the whole European continent. All the previous games were set on small portion of a country, not even a whole country, let alone the entire freaking continent. Plus, as it's been said, that would be unfair for Europeans, as basing it off the whole continent would kill the possibilities for future games taking place in their respective countries. I mean, come on, a Spain-based region would be awesome (if that even happens, I call a new bull Pokémon), an Itally-based region would be great as well, and Ireland-based region would be fuckin hilarious, but cramming all of those great cultures and places into one single region would be overkill, if not plain stupid. So as of now and until proven wrong, I'm sticking to the 'just Paris, maybe France' side of the argument.

Anyways, apart from personal beliefs and wishes, I think there's also evidence supporting this: everything we've seen, from Pikachu introducing the trailer in front of the actual Eiffel Tower and Junichi Masuda's twitter avatar showing him in Paris, to the Pokéiffel Tower on the in-game footage, the Notredamesque building (behind the bridge with the Golurk trainer) and even the characters attires, screams France, not Europe. Not to mention the theory posted about the names' origins -the cartesian plane by René Descartes, a French mathematician.

In conclusion, I think it's only France, not at least France.

I think it's rather clear that it is AT LEAST France, and possibly Europe in general.

So, what makes it so clear that it's AT LEAST France? There's nothing there suggesting anything outside France.

Last edited:

Well, we do see a knight statue with a Golurk and Palpitoad.
golurkpalpitoad_zpsafde2bd2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

heck yes, evidence of humans fighting alongside pokemon in the past! as per my personal fantasy

heck yes, evidence of humans fighting alongside pokemon in the past! as per my personal fantasy

I think that was aready confirmed ad back as Gen I when Lt. Surge said his Pokémon helped him in the war.

Yeah but this is a man with arms and armor. Lt Surge could have just been saying "lol they helped me by doing all the fighting while i gave commands".

Man, i feel rather bitter at this point, being British and all. I'm kind of hoping/trying to convince myself that the whole region won't just be based on France. I mean, you can't just shove the whole of friggin Europe into one game, otherwise the chances of another European country having it's region become even slimmer than they already were, and my mind will implode from too much cultural diversity being shoveled into one release. I understand.

But still, if the game gets released and France is the primary focus (with no UK in sight) then i'll play it and feel content. And slowly die a little inside. ( In November 2013 i'll be all like, " we were close, so close goddamn it!")

The new region is obviously based off of France. I'm hoping we'll get to see some cities based off of Spain, Germany, and England.

Considering that this:
pkparis.png
came directly from the video (we're led to assume that Pikachu is in Paris), I'm fairly certain they intentionally confirmed that, at least part of the game is based in a europe-like region.

Back
Top Bottom