• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Re: Region Speculation and Discussion Thread

1. Unova should be to the west across the ocean like NY is irl. GF has been accurate insofar with the geography of the pokemon world. Despite the size of Kalos, biggest region yet(I explained why yesterday), something tells me the way Xerneas and Yveltal are directly correlated to forest and sky makes me think of GS, where the other legendary was obtainable after you got to Kanto. It just rubs me the wrong way to think its one locale, especially if you consider how the two clouds in the corners hide a mountain up top and a green patch of something in the other.
2. Again, biggest region yet guys, don't let the map fool you. Its unova ambiguous,with only some towns being more detailed. Lumiose holds route 5, which means 4 routes till you reach it. Before that its the starting town, the first city, a forest, and then the first gym city. There you have to the right the route leading to the mid region castle area, which has to be the league. That's 5 routes and 3 cities before Lumiose! I can't see the map but iirc you still got:
mountain town to the north. Maybe a short route making it two towns close to each other, like starting town and blue roof palace.
Then you have two ice towns, another city somewhere in between.
Desert has one inside it and another cpstal one.
3 west of Lumiose, east of Stonecircle, which has a town.
North of stonecircle.
South of stonecircle are two more.
And so on.Sorry for the mess on a 3Ds, yesterday's post made more sense. But yeah. Lots of micro routes that are hiding from plain sight, along with the long stretches that are marked. Possibly missed one right outside of Lumiose's walls, and the ranch like area before those northern islands.
We're talking about 17-18 towns and cities, the largest amount yet, more then B2W2 unova which was holds 16. Then we have at least 25 routes to connect em all, and probably more like route 17/18. Add in 4 or so caves, 2 forests, and whatever the hell is that white lacunoas like place in the north before the snow and its fucling huge. Hoenn is gonna feel small, mark my words.

I hope this is actually possible in the game! It would make sense because Unova (in the first pair of games at least) was supposed to be a fresh experience like Kanto. So it would make sense for Kalos to invoke Johto in some ways.

kalosnotes_zps5d214e16.jpg

So I decided to make a thing because I had some free time. My choices are likely to change a bit in the future, since this just my initial thoughts.

- I'm pretty certain we'll go straight to Lumiose from the starting town/city. I don't think anyone disagrees on that at this point.
- From there, it gets a little strange and I wasn't sure what happens. I think that straight after we leave Lumiose, we won't be going north. For starters, the city at the north with the orange/golden trees/bushes looks pretty special. The route to the east of Lumiose also seems like there's no path from that direction - it looks like the one-way ledges imo. I think we'll only unblock/open the route by approaching it from the ice city (maybe it requires strength or something similar to unblock the route and then we can use it both directions).
- So we go southwest instead and over to coastal Kalos. Which kinda fits with the Pokedex image having more Pokemon in Central and Coastal than the Mountains, so Mountains seems late in the game.
- Follow the rest of the routes and numbers around. Once we do the full loop back to Lumiose from the desert area it's time to take what I presume is a train over to the east and hop off there. Maybe the solar power generators/energy generators/wind turbine things in the desert power the train lines and you have to fix them or something. I don't know.
- Then once we're in the east it's pretty straight forward down to 6, then up to 7 and 8.
- The areas I've marked with a red * are sort of confusing me to. The cave in the northeast is the least confusing, because the clouds are hiding something imo. The weird bamboo playground north/northwest is strange, as is the weird stump thing in the southeast. They could just be minor landmarks, but I think they could have some other importance. The area far east with the two random mine cart tracks is also a little boggling since I can't see how you get to them without maybe having to go through the big white mountain in the top right... but a river splits the white mountain from the brown one, so I don't know, maybe they aren't connected?
- The two routes I've marked in red lines I don't think exist at this point. The southwest one since I think we'll need to around the mountain to get to the lowest southwest buildings. Also just below the lowest southwest buildings there seems to be a cave on the beach/water level. It could just be the way it's painted/drawn/whatever, but it looks like a cave exit to me, so I think it connects to the mountain cave above (hence the lines).
- Unova's original map (before B2W2 and before the clouds were removed) had the league on it, so I'm fairly certain that the league is on this map too.

I think that's pretty much everything I have to say on it... I can't think of anything else. Yeah, it's probably a bit of a tl;dr for some people. :p

Have you ever thought the path may be slightly different depending on the version you chose ? Like, in one version you go first to Coastal Kalos before Mountain Kalos, and in the other version it's the reverse ? I don't think it will be the case (Mountain Kalos seems definitely harder than Coastal Kalos, except the desert maybe), but it would make for pretty different versions for once.

Anyway, I'm glad we have a pretty complicated region this time, because (BW1) Unova's course was far too obvious.

I've put together all my own observation, speculations and what I've heard people think. Please check it out :D

kalos_2_by_pokemon_diamond-d6hpmom.png
Warning, its a big picture~

Last edited:

Thanks Meophist! That picture is just what I needed.

mk5AAEg.jpg MinzLFR.jpg

So looking at how the Pokedex uses the colors of the French flag to identify the layout of the region we could now continue with some more meaningful speculation.

Since we will likely be starting in the southern part of Central Kalos it seems a bit difficult to deduce which way we will travel along the region. An interesting idea is that depending on the version we're playing we'll travel to one section of the region first, and then head on over to the other. Probably corresponding to the colors of the section and the game. This sounds like an exciting idea if the games have very good level scaling or if the games scale the foe levels according to the player character.

I've heard some speculate that the Pokemon League will be in the northern area of Central Kalos, though for at the moment it doesn't look much like a Victory Road or a Pokemon League.

Concerning version exclusive Pokemon this arrangement could make for a very interesting dynamic. Instead of just having different Pokemon on the same route for each game trading would work on obtaining Pokemon from the section you won't be able to reach until later: "Holy shit trade me that badass mountain Pokémon that I won't see until late-game for this coastal Pokémon I caught early on!"

As for the location of Xerneas and Yveltal we can make a very good guess that they're each live in a different part of the region. Most likely corresponding to the their color schemes. Xerneas might be found on the deep green west coast peninsula and Yveltal might be found in the east mountains.

I don't think that comparison will be entirely accurate due to Kalos having mountains in the Western parts of it as well.

But overall, I agree that's how it'll probably turn out.

Thanks Meophist! That picture is just what I needed.

View attachment 87086 View attachment 87085

So looking at how the Pokedex uses the colors of the French flag to identify the layout of the region we could now continue with some more meaningful speculation.

Where is that Pokedex picture from? And the Blue/White/Red logo that has just been spoken of? Just wondering.

EDIT: Okay, I just learned that the source is Serebii. But where did they get those pictures/screenshots like http://www.serebii.net/xy/47.jpg and http://www.serebii.net/xy/46.jpg? I don't recall seeing these images anywhere, and I could not find them on the official site.

Last edited:

If you look at the picture of the Pokedex itself, 9 Pokemon from central and 2 from mountain Kalos have been met. This gives us a vague idea of the starting location, and the new evidence corroborates with claims that Lumiose City will be in the beginning.

If you look at the picture of the Pokedex itself, 9 Pokemon from central and 2 from mountain Kalos have been met. This gives us a vague idea of the starting location, and the new evidence corroborates with claims that Lumiose City will be in the beginning.

Well, the city southeast of Lumiose City seems to have a route leading east from there, maybe that's a Mountain Kalos route. Since the starting town seems to be at the end of that stretch, it's possible that's where the 2 Mountain Kalos Pokemon came from.

Or they could be trainer Pokemon that are catchable later in the game.

I was actually thinking about it today, and none of the areas in the Pokemon World were based off of Tropical Rainforest...

If they were to add an area that was like a Tropical Rainforest, that'd make me pretty happy!

I was actually thinking about it today, and none of the areas in the Pokemon World were based off of Tropical Rainforest...

If they were to add an area that was like a Tropical Rainforest, that'd make me pretty happy!

None in the main series, anyway. Pokemon Ranger has Olive Jungle, and I think there might be some in the Mystery Dungeon series as well.

But yeah, I'd love to see a jungle or rainforest in this game, I'm surprised we've never seen that environment before in the main series.

what if there is a three league here meaning 8+8+8=24 gyms and towns and three victory roads, leagues and hometown?

That also seems a little much for just one game. I can't imagine GameFreak doing that.

Maybe.

But maybe he's onto something, and that the region division has something to do with the League? Like what if there's 9 gyms in this region instead of 8, with 3 gyms in each area.

That also seems a little much for just one game. I can't imagine GameFreak doing that.

Maybe.

But maybe he's onto something, and that the region division has something to do with the League? Like what if there's 9 gyms in this region instead of 8, with 3 gyms in each area.

That seems much more likely, although I have my doubts on that. I believe GameFreak will continue with the traditional 8 Gyms, and as such I'd propose 4 Gyms in the central part of Kalos, 2 Gyms in the coastal area of Kalos, and 2 in the Mountainous area of Kalos.

Fortree City and Route 119 in Hoenn are close enough (you can catch Tropius, Kecleon, and Carvanha in the water). There may be a small jungle-themed area (or a safari zone) in this game, but I think they'll keep it for an other generation.

There is definitely something mysterious in this part:
eCw8aJz.png

I was about to make a post about these islands. By analogy with a real map of France, we see that these islands correspond to Jersey and Guernsey (collectively known as the "Channel Islands"). It's interesting that these are included because these islands are British not French. I was thinking that because of this they could be a side region, like Sevii, but it looks a bit too small for that to be the case. Historically they were part of Normandy (which is now part of France), so this could be the reason why they were included (as well as being geographically close to France), but these islands have been British for centuries now.

This is a better map of the channel islands. The two main islands are Guernsey and Jersey, and there's 3 smaller ones (Alderney, Sark and Herm). I'm guessing that in the map of Kalos the two bigger green islands correspond Jersey and Guernsey, the cave island is Alderney, and the little brown one on the right is Sark (going on sizes not position, Herm is tiny and was probably left out). I'm not sure about the random rocks though.

So yeah, looks like there might be a legendary in that cave. Maybe someone who knows about Channel Island mythology can shed some light on what might be in there?

Back
Top Bottom