• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Kalos Region Speculation and Discussion

Re: Region Speculation and Discussion Thread

Not CONFIRMED, merely ASSUMED by all involved. Nintendo assumed that no one could possibly believe that Gen V pokemon would not make an appearance. Nevertheless, THIS DEFINITELY CONFIRMS IT.

Not CONFIRMED, merely ASSUMED by all involved. Nintendo assumed that no one could possibly believe that Gen V pokemon would not make an appearance. Nevertheless, THIS DEFINITELY CONFIRMS IT.

Iwata basically confirmed it during the Nintendo Direct that first announced XY. Also, during last month's CoroCoro, a picture of the Pokedex reveals that Zigzagoon is in the Kalos Dex.

I didn't really care for seasons too much. The differences were too minor, the monthly timing didn't make much sense and, aside from Iccirus, Winter didn't feel like Winter. I love snow, so I'd rather have something like Northern Sinnoh where it'd feel like Winter 100% of the time (and other parts of the region correspond to different seasons). And this way they could focus on making the Day/Night cycle relevant again.

NO. This INDISPUTABLY CONFIRMS IT.

NO. This INDISPUTABLY CONFIRMS IT.

Except for the part where a vague possible association of some areas with the map with seasons only loosely implies Sawsbuck will be in the dex and doesn't even mean anything for sure, whereas Zigzagoon actually being shown in the dex is an actual concrete fact. Even Pansear and Patrat being in the first trailer is more concrete than this seasons thing.

Well, blue is the color of sarcasm. I should put that in my sig...

32 pages is a lot to read through...

on the right side of the map there is a blue bridge with train tracks on it!

Magnet Train 2.0?

I think that it probably only leads to the Anville Town of Kalos, unfortunately.

32 pages is a lot to read through...

on the right side of the map there is a blue bridge with train tracks on it!

Magnet Train 2.0?
Don't count on it, it's probably just a sarcasm train.

Did anyone else get a clear look at the Kalos map and notice there is something like Stone Hedge located at the Coastal Part of the Map or is it just me?

According to the Nintendo Direct, the Eiffel Tower-like structure in Lumiose City has the Pokemon Gym symbol on it.

According to the Nintendo Direct, the Eiffel Tower-like structure in Lumiose City has the Pokemon Gym symbol on it.

I hope this doesn't mean that the tower is solely for the gym and that we won't still get a skyline view of Kalos or something. The fact that it's a tower should be enough to think otherwise.

I frankly like how they went for more inventive architectural styles, with a distinct European/classical RPG feel. Looks like we have a new glimpse of Blue Windmill City, looks cool...

I hope this doesn't mean that the tower is solely for the gym and that we won't still get a skyline view of Kalos or something. The fact that it's a tower should be enough to think otherwise.

If it's a gym it'll probably serve a dual purpose like the Nacrene City Gym did.

For the record, I am the one having made this stupid guess on TVtropes, relating to the possible next villain team :

A cross between Objectivists à la Andrew Ryan, conspiracy theorists and Mc Carthyists. They're persuaded the government (if there is one) is too weak against other villainous teams, that it hides the truth, and imposes pesky regulations on the battle system. They want to get rid of the Gym/Elite Four system, take over the Safari zones, and eliminate all conflict between Pokémon and humans so that the latter can have absolute control over the former. We will also learn that gym badges owe their power to some legendaries, and are all made in a specific town of the new region.

I don't think they will go as far as my proposition, but I expect XY to be in the continuity of Gen V, interroging the classical mechanics of the games. So far, the powers of the badges and their origins are still unexplained and while they seem to have weakened with time, they're still able to ensure obedience to a trainer up to a certain level. It's not impossible that these games will at last explain the origins of the badges (or even the League system) and that it will be a central aspect of the plot.

Lumiose City's Tower looks like an important landmark, if not THE most important landmark in all of Kalos. I would not be surprised if it played a vital role in the plot.

If it's a Gym, I think it will be much more than just a Gym.

I don't really want them to explain how badges make Pokemon obey you like that, because I prefer the idea that the badge- and level-based mechanic we've got now is just a simplification of Pokemon gaining actual respect for their trainer. I'd rather see that respect explored somehow, like how friendship is apparently being expanded with Pokemon-amie, with other ways to make traded Pokemon and even Pokemon you caught yourself more or less likely to obey. (The hard limit on how high a level of Pokemon will obey you at what stage of the game should be kept, though, since it serves a purpose in keeping the player from just trading in a level 100 something and sweeping the game effortlessly.)

^Yes. Plus I just find it hilarious when high-level pokemon disobey you more or less because they don't respect you and think you're full of shit and have no right to order them around. I just straight up support that.

Hey, looks like there will be riding of non-Gogoat Pokemon after all!

Back
Top Bottom