• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Legend of Zelda

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
For decades, Nintendo's critically acclaimed The Legend of Zelda series has engrossed players with hundreds of hours of adventure-based gameplay coupled with puzzle-centric dungeon crawling. From the vast 3D overworld of Ocarina of Time, to sailing the seas of Wind Waker, to the sandbox open world of Breath of the Wild, many offerings in the Zelda series are considered to be some of the greatest games of all time.

Feel free to use this thread as a discussion platform for anything Zelda: 3D games, 2D top-downs, spinoffs like Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule, or speculation about the next entry in the series.

I'll start with a couple discussion topics: Have you played any Zelda games before? Which one was your first? And lastly, which is your favorite, and why?

I played The Wind Waker first, from what was called the deluxe box, or something, bundled with Ocarina of Time. Hard to say which one my favourite is. I still really like The Wind Waker for being a little less ... shall we say, serious, than the games with an adult Link. Probably it would be Breath of the Wild, on the basis that I don't recall enjoying a Zelda game as much since Twilight Princess. I honestly wouldn't have expected to enjoy a sandbox-style Zelda that much, but here we are.

i'll be honest: i'm probably a super casual zelda player compared to probably most people who would respond to this thread, lol.

while i did start with Ocarina of Time, i didn't really play any Zelda games after that until Wind Waker (which became one of my favourites) and then after that, Twilight Princess. i didn't end up finishing TP for some reason, maybe it just didn't vibe with me at first. i put it down and didn't really pick it back up. and then i played BotW and still love it to this day. i'm super late in buying the DLC but i'm currently in the middle of doing the master sword trials. it's challenging but really fun!

I have played and finished The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds. I enjoyed playing all of them but my favourite is still TP. It was also my first Zelda game. I have yet to play BotW unfortunately, but it does look great.

I think I played the original first, but I definitely played Link's Adventure early on (I still hope it's magic system could return one day). However, Link to the Past was the first one I played very extensively and cleared.

Actually, I admit as much as I enjoy it Zelda is a series I don't tend to finish; I think it's because I usually don't enjoy the dungeons in the 3-D entries.

BOTW was really weird in that I played it more than any since LTTP but still didn't clear it because of the dungeons being so hard for me (I often not great with puzzles involving physics or flipping things around so the BOTW dungeons were murderous) but I loved the Zelda 1 style open world.

• Staff
i'll be honest: i'm probably a super casual zelda player compared to probably most people who would respond to this thread, lol.
What do you mean by "casual?" I would also consider myself a casual player, I don't really finish them all at once and I NEVER go for 100%.

Actually, I admit as much as I enjoy it Zelda is a series I don't tend to finish; I think it's because I usually don't enjoy the dungeons in the 3-D entries.

As said above, me too. I already have a hard time committing to a game for a long period of time, and I don't finish games quickly. Though I disagree on the dungeon aspect, I've always enjoyed the series' dugeons.

As for myself, my first game that I played in the series is OoT 3D, which is also the first game in the series that I beat. My favorite (excluding Breath of the Wild, because I find it difficult to rank alongside the other games in the series) is and always has been Twilight Princess. I love the atmosphere and characters, and the music as well.

What do you mean by "casual?" I would also consider myself a casual player, I don't really finish them all at once and I NEVER go for 100%.

i suppose by "casual" i mean that i don't play or own a lot of Zelda games. like i haven't played ALTTP, i havent played Four Swords, nor have i played Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hourglass. i have a lot to catch up on. .__.

• Staff
Nintendo unveiled a new game in the Legend of Zelda series this morning. It is being developed by Koei Techmo, the same developers behind the Legend of Zelda spinoff series, Hyrule Warriors, and plays in the same style as Hyrule Warriors:

It looks like this game will focus its story upon the first battle with the Calamity taking place 100 years before the events of Breath of the Wild, and will allow you to play as the Champions from Breath of the Wild in addition to both Link and Zelda, among potential others. It also appears to be canon in the Zelda universe which is different from the first Hyrule Warriors game.

What do you guys think about this new game? Personally I think it's a really interesting idea; I think the Dynasty Warriors style gameplay will be a perfect blend for what the story is trying to achieve. I also think it's really cool that you'll get to play as the Champions. Even though we know how the story ends it will still be damn cool to experience.

I have to say, I got bored of Hyrule Warriors really quickly, in large part because the original characters were plainly not Zelda characters. That is to say, not in the style or spirit of The Legend of Zelda. So if this game means a cast of actual Legend of Zelda characters, then I'm interested. Yes, we know how the story will end, but Breath of the Wild gave us the cliffnotes of the Great Calamity - seeing how it unfolded in the detail could still be an interesting plot.

It's an interesting concept and a game I may want to play. I have never found Warriors series games to be my favorite, but this one seems really focused. I didn't ever get Hyrule Warriors in any of its releases because it just didn't excite me that much. I mean, a bunch of Zelda characters from all over throw in one place. It was just fanservicey. This one is very focused on a specific storyline that is canon to the Zelda series, so it looks like it will be better.

I loved the original so I am definitely looking forward to this.

The tigher focus can hopefully help make a more interesting story (the only really unique part of the first was actually controlling Ganondorf when he takes over Hyrule). That scene with Zelda at the end of the trailer makes me hope they won't pull punches with how it ends

I am curious if they'll try to work in open world elements, since that was one of BOTW's big selling point and was also included in Dynasty Warriors 9.

I do wonder if characters from the previous game will be in Free/Adventure mode or not. I'd miss quite a few of them but I won't be upset if they're gone (though I suppose the original characters would actually be the easiest to include since they're not tied to specific time periods in the same way, but as Beth Pavell said they kind of clash with the actual Zelda characters).

I played Ocarina of Time first (N64 version). It is still my favourite. Love the music, and exploring the world.

My other favourites are A Link to the Past, Minish Cap, A Link Between Worlds, and Breath of the Wild.

Got Age of Calamity for Christmas.
It's fun but to be honest so far I prefer the original's gameplay overall, with the stronger focus on comboing enemies and clearing out regulars/bases being more important while AOC feels hyper-focused on breaking weakpoint gauges.

Also the camera sticks itself into awful positions where I can't see my character far more often, and it seems especially common on Death Mountain stages.

That said large bosses are not as annoying as the originals so far and the Sheikah Slate is much better than the items were in the original. Might end up changing my mind later since I'm still fairly early.

At E3 this past week, Nintendo unveiled a whole block of Zelda news, featuring the following items:
  • The first wave of Age of Calamity DLC, which includes the ability to play as a Guardian, as well as new weapons and abilities (such as Zelda using the Master Cycle)
  • More footage of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, which comes out this July
  • A Zelda Game & Watch commemorating the 35th anniversary of the series, which includes the original game, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, the GameBoy version of Link's Awakening, and a traditional Game & Watch game featuring Link as the playable character
  • A new trailer showing off more details (and gameplay elements) for the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which is spoilered below)

Nintendo also hinted that there are no other Zelda games planned for development in the near future, which eliminates the possibility of any additional remakes or rereleases in time for the series' 35th anniversary.

Zelda fans, what are your thoughts on this Zelda news? What are your thoughts on the latest trailer for the BOTW sequel? Any theories you may have for the events that will take place in the game?

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom