• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Legends: Arceus Graphics Discussion

Not even going into how the textures and models look, can we at least all agree that, especially for the environments, the pop-in is really bad? It’s been in some parts worse than Sword and Shield in so far, especially in that first area. It really takes me out of the experience watching trees, rocks, and hills blip in and out of existence consistently. It’s at least better with the Pokémon themselves this time and I guess that’s the most important thing but man it’s bumming me out. I really don’t want to be dumping on this game, the gameplay itself is fantastic and a lot of fun, but they owe us a stability patch imho.

Last edited:
Not even going into how the textures and models look, can we at least all agree that, especially for the environments, the pop-in is really bad? It’s been in some parts worse than Sword and Shield in so far, especially in that first area. It really takes me out of the experience watching trees, rocks, and hills blip in and out of existence consistently. It’s at least better with the Pokémon themselves this time and I guess that’s the most important thing but man it’s bumming me out. I really don’t want to be dumping on this game, the gameplay itself is fantastic and a lot of fun, but they owe us a stability patch imho.
That’s fair.

Gen 9 will probably be the last game on the Switch. Soon enough GF will be working on the next console and this means the all cycle will start again about the graphics. GF needs like 5-6 years to start understanding how to optimize in a new console and when they are close to do that, the console changes :)

Gen 9 will probably be the last game on the Switch. Soon enough GF will be working on the next console and this means the all cycle will start again about the graphics. GF needs like 5-6 years to start understanding how to optimize in a new console and when they are close to do that, the console changes :)
the fact that you’re right is so upsetting

Depends. We have the supply shortages going on that may put a significant delay on the next generation console. Can't exactly build something if you can't get the components to make it.

I'm also not sure how much the technology is really advancing anymore. It seemed like it was all kind of starting to slow down over the past decade. They might not have such a huge leap of difference to have to figure out.

Not sure about that. The jump they made in the past couple generations is quite big, from 2D to 3D then from a handheld console to a home console. I don't say it's going to be a lot better, but it might be better than we think. GF surely is lagging behind, but Pokémon is in a home console now so they could slowly improve from there on without any more major changes.

From the screenshots I've seen from Twitter and also the one posted above, the game looks much better on an actual Switch than what TPC showed, I love it!

I should probably clarify that the screenshot I posted is one of TPC's pre-release ones, not one that I took myself. :) I haven't got the game yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the graphics look like on a Switch.

Even if the graphics haven't been improved, I think just seeing them on an actual console screen will automatically make them look better, because then they can be appreciated in their proper context. To give an example of this, screenshots of the 3DS Pokemon games look kind of bad by today's standards - full of messy pixels - but when viewed in motion on an actual 3DS screen, they look a lot better.

That is assuming Nintendo doesn't want to extend the Switch's lifespan as it's still selling like crazy and Nintendo develops a lot of games for it.

That is assuming Nintendo doesn't want to extend the Switch's lifespan as it's still selling like crazy and Nintendo develops a lot of games for it.
I see them making all the old games backwards compatible.

Especially with that business model PDF and the part focused on transferring old games to new systems by using people's Nintendo accounts.

I see them making all the old games backwards compatible.

Especially with that business model PDF and the part focused on transferring old games to new systems by using people's Nintendo accounts.
Of course but it would be great if they held out with a new Switch at least until the shortages are over due to scalpers. As affordable as they would make it it would get scalped and inflated a lot so it's not really worth it.

Plus I'm just poor lol

I think the game looks way better now that it's out and people are playing. The trailers did nothing for this game. Although the world design is still pretty bland imo (mostly just fields and nature).

I think the game looks way better now that it's out and people are playing. The trailers did nothing for this game. Although the world design is still pretty bland imo (mostly just fields and nature).
There's a few bits of dialog that say it's supposed to be like that since not many people have settled there yet other than the natives which are represented by the clans.

It would have been nice if like there was more than a bunch of ruins, two settlements, and a village. But it does make a little sense narrative wise as to why it's so empty.

Aside from graphics I feel like the biggest issue with the game is the lack of voice acting as the writing and expressions would benefit from any voice acting, even if its simple grunts like Zelda.

The graphics are the weakest point for the game to me but that doesn't keep me from enjoying it and I've seen much worse. The models and animations I think are much better especially since they react to the terrain and different Pokemon have flying/swimming animations in the right circumstances and the platform detail when a land Pokemon fights in water is very nice. People also mentioned that the sky looks pretty and the game does look great at night. It genuinely felt fun to explore most of the time for me and I never experienced any issue with the ride Pokemon like I have in other games that have ride-able animals.

The weak points to me are long patches of terrain without grass which feel lack-luster and felt like I wasn't supposed to be there. I did find some of the fog that appears when you can't go any further to be disorienting and I wish the blinding effect was toned down - especially since the fourth area it wasn't very clear where I could and couldn't go and that was the thing that hampered some of it. I did notice a few small graphical glitches - the Pokeball in the water seems very compressed and has a jagged outline and there's a light pixelated halo on some models in dark caves. I think I also experienced a glitch with the fog effect remaining but it occurred when I was in Sneasler when got hit by a Pokemon so it may need you to be in a very specific circumstance.

I also saw some mention of gen 9 and that makes me wonder. Sun and Moon pushed the limits of the 3DS - I wonder if gen 9 would do the same now that they have worked more with the console?

Small edit as I've progressed: the graphical glitch is extremely bad in the legendary trio's caves. Especially when the camera shows a model over water there's a bright pixelated halo. I haven't seen anyone else bring this up, so I wonder if it's from playing this on a launch Switch and it may not show on newer models?

Last edited:
Aside from graphics I feel like the biggest issue with the game is the lack of voice acting as the writing and expressions would benefit from any voice acting, even if its simple grunts like Zelda.
I agree with this 100%. This game as well as Sword and Shield should have had voice acting. Pretty much every other franchise I play on the Switch has some degree of voice acting. Then there's Pokemon with still near zero (except in New Snap which wasn't made by GF). Why does GF hate voice acting so much?

But as for the graphics, they're not the best the Switch has offered, but I don't think they're terrible like some people say. GF spent decades in 2D before transitioning to 3D only with the 3DS. They obviously don't have as much experience here as other development teams and keeping that in mind, I think LA looks decent.

I agree with this 100%. This game as well as Sword and Shield should have had voice acting. Pretty much every other franchise I play on the Switch has some degree of voice acting. Then there's Pokemon with still near zero (except in New Snap which wasn't made by GF). Why does GF hate voice acting so much?

But as for the graphics, they're not the best the Switch has offered, but I don't think they're terrible like some people say. GF spent decades in 2D before transitioning to 3D only with the 3DS. They obviously don't have as much experience here as other development teams and keeping that in mind, I think LA looks decent.
Keep in mind that Pokemon does global releases in multiple languages. I don't know if there is any franchise with voice acting that has to coordinate that, especially with the release schedule that Pokemon sticks to (and before anyone cries 'more development time,' is voice acting really the thing you want to spend that extra time on?)

Back
Top Bottom