• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Legitimacy of Berries in XY/ORAS

Giles_Le_Breton

For the Lady of the Lake!
Reaction score
Does anyone actually use berries? I mean they seem like more of a hassle to acquire and plant and keep track of, especially since I usually have a surplus of money in XY and ORAS so I can just buy potions, antidotes, heals etc...

I don't even bother with berries that have to do with improving the pokemon contest stats. And the berries that lower actual stats like spl defense and attack, I also steer clear of..

So does anyone actually make use them and plant and replant them? Which are your favorites?

If you battle often, be they against Cheating AI battle facilities or other players, you'll find use for berries. While I didn't bother with it in XY, but in ORAS (back when I was in full steam) I did utilize and grow berries rapidly. Not as often as my Gen III/Platinum/Dream World tenures but hey.

My favorite Berry on hand is the Tomato berry (design thing) Lum for in-game utility and Enigma since back in the day I utilized the E-reader. For battles, Pinch berries are where its at for me. Otherwise, I just enjoy collecting and growing berries.

I use all the stat reducing berries to lower some stats that are useless, or if I want to modify the EVs.

Also Lum berry, it is a STAPLE in my strategy for my Salamence: Salamence throws a Dragon Dance. The opponent gets scared and uses a status ailment to stop Salamence from powering up. But he uses his Lum berry, and gets a second Dragon Dance. Then, I just Outrage the shit out of the opponent. It is pretty flawless.

Last edited:
I don't really bother with any besides the EV reducers in ORAS because growing them in that game is kind of a hassle. Sometimes they're convenient status cures in the early game.

Sometimes I'll keep a Lum on one of my attackers when I go into Free Battles on the Battle Spot, since it's a free-for-all over there with all the Darkrai and Klefki.

Sitrus Berries are a godsend for bulky walls and tanks. Lum Berries can also be helpful, especially if you don't know what item to give to your Pokemon.

I also like to make Pokeblocks for contests. I find them fun. =B

I use/grow the EV berries allllll the time to modify my pokes (they also have the nice bonus of increasing friendship which makes for quick friendly evolutions and maxing Return). Beside those I use sitrus and Lum for different strategies.

Well, some of the status recovering berries are quite useful if you're training weak pokemon against something that can inflict a status condition, and if you're chaining something with Static or Poison Point;
EV reducing berries are always useful, both for it's IV reducing effect and for rising friendship;
Damage-reduction and stat boost berries can be useful in battles.. I use a couple of them in some of my teams.

I use berries more than any other item. I find it easier to keep pokémon healthy using Oran/Sitrus/Leppa Berries, since it's really not hard to get seventy-odd in short order. I did only just notice that the Figy/Wiki/etc series are completely useless for actually restoring HP if you have a stock of Sitrus

I do not use berries at all, and only use them for contests. I used to plant tons of them in Platinum before I had any of the other games, but after I got B/W and basically ditched Platinum...Needless to say my berries are long gone. As of now, in X/Y/OR/AS? None, except to use in contests in OR/AS. I don't do the battle resort or anything like that, so I don't use them except for making Pokeblocks/Poffins. :) They're lost on me, but it seems quite a few people on here use them very often!

I do a times use them for paralyze etc. They're much more useful early game.

Leppa is probably the most used.

Sitrus, Lum, and Leppa Berries are the most common berries I use. They can be very useful, especially when training weak Pokemon more efficiently while sparing more valuable items or if rest stops are far and few between. I also do like ones like Pecha Berries, as I find them more useful than Antidotes and such, not to mention they're easier to obtain and stockpile. Even Oran Berries I produced in bulk, as they are convenient, grow quickly, and I don't have to waste a Potion on low damage. The EV berries are 50/50, depending on my needs, but they do pay off when trying to even out my Mons stats and max out friendship faster. It's a lot easier to farm berries in this gen than in the past, as they can grow in much larger quantities more easily, such as Lum Berries, which were a royal pain to grow back in Gens 3 and 4. The berries like Wiki, Figy, etc are almost useless to me, however, compared to Sitrus Berries, which do the same job without any drawback. So, yeah, I like the berries, especially since they're free and easy-to-use in virtually any situation.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom