• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: The Life of a Mastermind

Jared DiCarlo

Grovyle Fan
Reaction score
Before I begin, here’s some info to get you up to speed. You may remember that one of the villains in my other story, Giovanni’s Master Plan, was a man named George Forthright. He has a scene where he explains his tragic backstory to our heroes, and I thought it might be fun to expand upon it. Like the other story, this may contain strong topics like death, language, and physical violence, and it will be written in script mode again. I’ll try to upload only one or two chapters a day this time, depending on how long they are. So, here goes....

The Life of a Mastermind

Chapter 1

Date: April 15th, 1970

[Our story begins in a hospital in Celadon City. Mrs. Kelly Forthright has just given birth to a healthy child. Her husband, Johnny, frantically calls all their relatives.]

Nurse: It looks like your baby is doing very well, Mrs. Forthright.
Kelly: I’m glad to hear that. He wasn’t due until tomorrow morning, but I guess he couldn’t wait any longer!
Johnny: Have you decided on a name yet, dear?
Kelly: I think I’ll be naming him George, after my grandfather.
Nurse: That’s a wonderful name, ma’am. I’ll put it on his birth certificate right now.
Johnny: Let me get a good look at him. Now, listen to me, son. You are destined for greatness. When you get older, your old man will teach you how be a great scientist, just like him.
Kelly: I hope you won’t be teaching him anything bad.
Johnny: You worry too much, honey. I won’t be doing it till he gets older!

Date: July 8th, 1976

[George Forthright has grown up to be a very talented young man. His intelligence is at a very high level for a six year old. The boy’s parents, naturally, are most impressed. Johnny feels that his son deserves a gift for his stellar academic career.]

Johnny: Son, can I talk to you in the garage?
George: Sure thing, daddy.
Johnny: I think you’re old enough for this responsibility. Your mother and I already talked this over, and she agreed on the condition that you would be the one to take care of him.
George: You mean like a pet?!?
Johnny: Ehh, something like that.
George: What is it? What is it?
Johnny: He’s in this box. Close your eyes.

[Johnny opens the box, and out comes a Pokémon.]

Johnny: Now, open them!
George: [gasp] WOW!!! I LOVE HIM!!!! Um, what is he?
Johnny: This is a Wartortle that Nurse Joy gave to me.
George: He’s so cute! What’s his name?
Johnny: Nurse Joy told me that his name is Splash.
George: What a great name! Can I go play with him?
Johnny: I don’t see why not. You can go out back and play. Just remember to come back inside for dinner.
George: Alright!!! Come on, Splash! Let’s play!
Splash: Wartortle!

[The two new friends spend several hours each day playing with each other. Sometimes, George even lets Splash into his room to do some science experiments with him. For, you see, George is also a budding scientist. He spends almost of his spare time working on some new invention or experiment. After he got Splash, however, he began using him to test his inventions out. His father frequently voices his displeasure at this.]

Johnny: George, how many times have I told you not to conduct science experiments on Splash?
George: Come on, Dad, what’s wrong with that? He doesn’t seem to mind!
Johnny: You might hurt him!
George: I haven’t hurt him yet! And it’s very unlikely that I will.
Johnny: Suit yourself, George. But don’t blame me when you have to take him to the Pokémon Center.

Author’s note: So, this chapter is just a summary of George’s really early childhood. I got the name of his mother from my own mother, and his father’s name came from my uncle. His birth date (April 15th) is also my brother’s, so consider that a little in-joke directed at his expense.

Last edited:
Warning: This chapter is gonna be kinda long....

Chapter 2

Date: October 21, 1977

Johnny: For the last time, you are not entering a Pokémon battle!
George: Aw, come on, Dad! Can’t I just be in one battle?
Johnny: I told you before and I’ll tell you again. You can’t become a Pokémon trainer or take part in battles until you’re ten! Now stop arguing with me and get ready for school!
George: Alright, you win.
Kelly: Don’t you think you were being a little too hard on him? He is only a kid.
Johnny: Kelly, you know why I don’t want him starting too early. He might get hurt or something.
Kelly: But can’t you see how excited he gets whenever he talks about it? I’m telling you, he gets it from you. Remember when we were growing up, and that’s all you ever talked about in school?
Johnny: *blushing* Aww, stop it, honey! You’re embarrassing me!

George leaves to get on the bus. His newly-evolved Blastoise, Splash, follows. Upon arriving at school, he has a little trouble getting his friend out of the bus. The bus driver, growing ever more impatient by the second, pushes them both off. Splash lands on the pavement, while George lands on top of one of the meanest kids in school, Freddy Douglas.

Freddy: Hey, watch where you’re going, you nerd!
George: Oh, I’m sorry, Freddy. I didn’t mean to land on you.
Freddy: Well, ya did! Do you know what happens to kids who hurt me?
George: No.
Freddy: I challenge them to a Pokémon battle!
George: A what?
Freddy: You heard me, pipsqueak! Got any Pokémon on ya?
George: W-w-well, I have a Blastoise, but, you see, I’m not supposed to be in one yet. My parents say I’m too young.
Freddy: Man, what a wimp! I’m wasting my time with you! That Blastoise of yours doesn’t look so tough, anyway.
George: TAKE THAT BACK!!!!
Freddy: Oh, so now you wanna fight me?
George: I sure do!!!
Freddy: Then let the battle begin!

George and Freddy face off in the gymnasium, in front of hundreds of students and teachers. The gym teacher serves as the referee.

Referee: Alright! The battle between George Forthright and Freddy Douglas will now begin. Each competitor may only use one Pokémon. The first one to be knocked out loses! Choose your Pokémon wisely.
George: Alright, I choose Blastoise!
Splash: Blast!
Freddy: I choose Electabuzz!!!!
Electabuzz: Elebuuu!!!
Referee: Begin!
Freddy: Use Thunderbolt!
Electabuzz: Elebulubulubuh!!!
George: Stop it with Hydro Pump!
Splash: Blaaaaaast!!!!

The Hydro Pump conducts the Thunderbolt and sends it back at George and Splash. It’s so strong that it knocks them both unconscious.

Referee: Blastoise is unable to battle. Electabuzz wins!
Freddy: In your face, loser!! *notices George hasn’t gotten up* Hey, kid, you alright?
Referee: Oh my god, he’s out cold! Someone call an ambulance!

Meanwhile, at the Forthright residence....

*phone rings*
Johnny: Hmm, I wonder who that is. Hello?
Joy: Hello, this is the Nurse Joy at Taijiri Primary School. Are you the father of George Forthright?
Johnny: Yes I am. Why?
Joy: Your son has just been involved in a serious accident and was taken to the hospital.
Johnny: What?? That can’t be true!
Joy: Unfortunately it is. You and your wife have to get over to the hospital right now!
Johnny: Alright, we’ll be right there!!!
Kelly: Who was it, Johnny?
Johnny: It’s about George! He’s at the hospital!!!
Kelly: Whaaaaaa?????? *faints*

George wakes up in a hospital bed some time later. He is surrounded by nurses, doctors, and his parents. Splash is nowhere to be seen.

Doctor: Oh, good, he’s waking up.
Johnny: George, are you okay?
George: Huh? W-where am I?
Joy: You fell unconscious and got taken to the hospital.
George: Where’s Mom and Dad?
Johnny: We’re right here, son. Thank god you’re okay.
Doctor: Try to tell your parents what happened.
George: I don’t really remember. Everything went black after Electabuzz used Thunderbolt on us.
Johnny: Say what? Were you battling???
George: I’m not gonna lie, I was battling.
Johnny: What did I just get through telling you this morning?
George: I’m sorry, Dad, but I couldn’t resist! I wanted to get out of it but Freddy called me a wimp and that made me....wait a minute! Where’s Splash?!? Is he alright, too?!!?
Doctor: I don’t know how to tell you this, but, Splash didn’t make it.
George: What are you saying?
Joy: I’m sorry, George. We tried everything we could....but we lost him.
George: He ran away?
Johnny: No, George, what they’re trying to say is that Splash died!!!!!
George: He what?!??!?
Joy: *sadly* There was nothing we could do. His heart was too fried by the electricity to be saved.
George: He can’t be dead! I saw him!
Doctor: Forget it, kid. It’s over. He’s dead.

George starts crying over the loss of his friend. His parents try to console him, but he wants to be alone.

Date: October 28th, 1977.

George stands alone at the makeshift memorial his parents made for Splash in the backyard.

George: I’m sorry I couldn’t help you, Splash. But mark my words; I will find a way to bring you back!

Author’s note: Man, this was a hard chapter to write. The scene of George standing at the memorial is one of those moments that I’ve had in my head since writing his backstory in my last fanfic. And I bet I don’t have to tell you who I named the school after, do I?

Another long chapter, so, get ready....this is gonna get ugly....

Chapter 3

Date: May 10, 1987

The auditorium of Celadon Community College is abuzz with excitement. It has been nearly ten years since George Forthright’s life changed forever. Now, he is attempting the biggest experiment of his young life. Will it work? Let’s see...

Speaker: Ladies and gentlemen...The Celadon Community College is proud to present, our own George Forthright!

The whole auditorium breaks out into applause as George takes his place on the stage.

George: Greetings, my fellow colleagues and teachers. Today, I am going to change the history of Pokémon science. I will attempt to bring a Pokémon back from the dead!!!!

The audience oohs and aahs.

George: Of course, I couldn’t possibly do this on my own. So, that’s why I’ve enlisted the help of a prominent Pokémon professor, namely, Samuel Oak!
[more applause]
Oak: Yes, it’s a pleasure to be here today. George and I certainly have a big surprise for you.
George: Now, if you would all turn your heads over to the left side of the stage. Behold!

George lifts off a tarp covering a cryogenic chamber. Inside is the dead body of his Blastoise, Splash, preserved after nearly ten years.

George: This is my childhood friend, Splash. He was tragically electrocuted to death in 1977. After his burial, I dug him back up and have kept him cryogenically frozen ever since.
Oak: I was the one who helped him freeze the Pokémon. Of course, I was a friend of the family, at the time.
George: Sam, now would you please open the chamber? It’s time for our demonstration to begin.
Oak: Will do!

The chamber slowly opens with a hiss, exposing Splash to the air for the first time since 1977.

George: Get a good look at him, folks, because he’s about to be rejuvenated! Here’s how we’re going to do it; Professor Oak came up with this genetically modified seed that he took from a Bulbasaur’s bulb. He altered its DNA so that it could be used to revive a living organism, in this case, a Blastoise. I’m going to put the seed in his mouth. Then, Professor Oak will pour the water in, and we wait and see what happens next.
Oak: Here’s the seed. I’ve got the watering can.
George: Now let’s begin!

They both carry Splash out of his chamber and place him on a metal table. George takes the seed from Oak, opens Splash’s mouth, and places the seed on his tongue. Oak walks over and pours in the water. Then, they close his mouth, and wait. Several minutes pass, but nothing happens. The audience begins to complain.

Guy in audience 1: That’s it?!? We came all this way for a gardening lesson??!!?
Woman in audience: I want my money back!
Guy in audience 2: I’m outta here!!

Soon the entire audience begins to leave.

George: Wait! Come back! If you give it a few more minutes then I’m sure something will happen! Pleeease! Don’t go! I’m begging you! Oh, it’s no use. I’ve failed again.

Then, Professor Oak notices some changes.

Oak: Wait a minute! I think something’s happening!

The audience stops leaving and turns around to look.

George: Huh? What is it?
Oak: Is your Blastoise supposed to have leaves?
George: Excuse me?
Oak: Just look at his head!
George: No way.....

Dark green leaves are growing on Splash’s forehead. His blue skin color appears to be changing as well.

George: Look at his skin! It’s becoming green and scaly!
Oak: This is very strange. And what’s that?!?

Splash’s arms and legs begin to change shape, becoming more reptilian in nature, with sharp claws. The table he is on starts to buckle.

George: What’s going on? Splash, are you alright?!?

Splash gets up off the table, and, instead of standing up, he gets down on all fours. His water cannons get sucked back into his shell, and are replaced with several long yellow vines.

Oak: Oh, my goodness! This wasn’t supposed to happen!
George: Professor, what is going on here? Is there something you’d like to tell me?
Oak: It seems like I wasn’t able to completely remove Bulbasaur’s DNA from the seed. It’s taking over Splash’s DNA and replacing it with its own, so that would mean...
George: You don’t mean...
Oak: Oh, I do. We’ve created...Venustoise!!!!

More disturbing changes begin to take place. Another set of vines shoot out from where his cannons used to be. The top of his shell starts cracking, and breaks open, and out pops a flower not unlike the one on a Venusaur. Splash’s eyes open up, revealing a sickly yellow color. Fangs jut from his mouth, ready to bite anything that gets in the way. The final remains of his shell break off, revealing a misshapen body consisting of vines and miniature water cannons. Splash is not Splash anymore. He has become Venustoise! The unholy creature roars, and stomps towards George and Oak.

George: WHAT IN THE WORLD HAVE WE CREATED?!!??
Oak: I don’t know about you, but I’m getting outta here!!! Everybody in the audience should evacuate, right now!
George: Professor, wait for me!

The audience runs out of the auditorium and out onto the streets of Celadon City. The creature follows them, roaring angrily. Officer Jenny calls for assistance.

Jenny: Get me the army! There’s an emergency in Celadon City!

Before she can report any further, Venustoise grabs her with one of his vines. He activates the mini water cannons, which now shoot Bullet Seeds. Jenny dies. Another Jenny shows up with the army. Venustoise shoots at them, and their tank explodes.

Jenny 2: We’re gonna need backup!

Author’s note: This was a really fun chapter to write. Ever since I first saw “The Ghost of Maiden’s Peak”, I’ve been fascinated by the brief appearance made by a “Venustoise”. I’ve always wanted to include something like that in one of my fanfics, and since this one has a main character who is a scientist, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity.

Last edited:
Chapter 4

Date: May 10th, 1987

George: Why did this have to happen??? I should have never tampered with the natural order!
Oak: Now, now, don’t blame yourself, George. This is mostly my fault. I should have checked that seed to make sure that Bulbasaur’s DNA was completely gone. And just look at what happened because I didn’t!

Venustoise continues his rampage. Several army tanks fire on the creature, to no avail. The army general calls for more fire power.

General: Get me SUPERTANK!!!

Soon, a huge mass of rubber and steel arrives on the scene. It’s Supertank (not to be confused with Supertrain), the coal-powered army tank.

George: What are the army planning on doing with that contraption?
Oak: They’re going to blow him up.
George: Blow him up?!? I can’t let that happen! Even if he is a monster, he’s still my best friend!! I have to stop them!!
Oak: No, don’t! It’s too dangerous!

George runs over to the army general and tries to reason with him.

George: Sir! Hold it!
General: Can I help you?
George: Whatever you do, don’t kill my friend! You can tranquilize him, or whatever, but, please, don’t harm him!
General: Are you out of your mind?!? You want us to spare that thing?!!? Just look at him!

Venustoise is currently biting someone’s head off. The deformed menace swallows the severed head, and stomps over to make a meal of Supertank.

General: That thing is a menace that needs to be taken out, now! Can’t you see that he’s reverting to his primal roots?!?

George takes another look at his old friend, and sighs.

George: I...I understand. Just put him out of his misery....
General: Okay...FIRE!!!!

Supertank shoots out some kind of explosive device that attaches itself to Venustoise’s head. The device quickly starts beeping rapidly, until.....BOOOOOM!!!!!!!

The device explodes, sending bits of vine and burning flesh everywhere. Windows of nearby buildings are blown out, while those who were unlucky to have not run for cover are thrown into the air. Luckily, they survive. As for Venustoise, the area where he stood is now a burning crater. The creature’s dead body lies at the bottom. George stares down at the body, holding back tears as he remembers the good times he had with his friend.

George: It’s...finally over...
Oak: There was nothing you could have done to fix it. Just be glad that you got to know him...ehh, when he wasn’t...umm, hideous.
George: None of this would have happened if I hadn’t entered that battle!!!
Oak: Don’t worry, George. I’ll stand by you and try to help you thr-
George: NO! Just leave me alone!!!

And that is the last time they ever see each other. The cleanup process takes several months to complete, while the army takes possession of the creature’s body (at least until someone steals it a few years later). George drops out of college not long after. He tries to find other colleges where he will be accepted, but they are all well aware of this incident, and reject him. George eventually leaves Kanto and tries his luck at some colleges in Johto. He is rejected by all of these colleges, too. Eventually, he decides to stop trying and leaves the area in the late nineties. By then, the bright young scientist who tried to bring a Pokémon back to life has faded from everyone’s memories.

George heads to the island region of Hoenn, far away from those who shunned him. He makes his home on a deserted island off Hoenn’s southern coast. He builds a laboratory where he continues to work on his experiments for several years. It is here that he creates his greatest invention; a mind-controlling voice chip. After building a few more, he decides to test them out on the wild Pokémon that inhabit the deserted island, and it works. The leader of Team Rocket, Giovanni, happens to be flying over the island in his helicopter one day. Upon investigating, he learns about George’s work, and signs him up to create an army for him. Now all George needs is someone to help him.

Around this time, an old friend of his from college named Eric Sycamore, who is now a Professor in the Kalos region, reestablishes contact with him. George asks him meet up at a restaurant in Petalburg City.

Date: March 17th, 2014

Sycamore: What did you want to see me for?
George: Do you know anybody that knows how to work with voice chips?
Sycamore: Why, yes, I do. His name is James Gordon. He used to create Rare Candy until a random Caterpie mishap destroyed his lab. Ever since then, he’s been working in the chip business. What do you need him for?
George: It’s a secret. I’m sure you can respect that.
Sycamore: I fully understand.
George: Call him up and tell him to meet me on my special island tomorrow morning.
Sycamore: Where’s that?
George: It’s right off the southern coast of Hoenn. He’ll have to look really hard to find because it isn’t on any maps.
Sycamore: Okay, as soon as I get home, I’ll call him up. See you later!
George: Nice seeing you again, Eric!

After Sycamore leaves, George heads back to his island to get ready for Dr. Gordon’s arrival.

Author’s note: It’s been really hard to write the portion of the story that takes place between the Venustoise incident and the beginning of Giovanni’s Master Plan. But at least the next chapter will be the last.

Last edited:
Here we go, the last chapter...

Chapter 5

Date: March 18th, 2014

George: Welcome to my laboratory, Dr. Gordon. It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir. I’m sure the Professor told you all about my work.
Gordon: Indeed, he did! I brought you the chips you wanted, too. Now, what exactly are they for?
George: That’s why I asked to meet you on this island, far away from the inhabited world. I am currently working on a project that will change the face of science forever; an army of talking Pokémon!!
Gordon: Wow!!! That’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever heard! I can’t believe I never thought of it myself!
George: Giovanni of Team Rocket is funding our project. He made it clear to me that this army is for him.
Gordon: Team Rocket??? Those guys are a bunch of criminals!
George: Ah yes, but he promised me that this army is not to be used for any nefarious purposes.
Gordon: Oh, well, that’s a relief.
George: Last night, I called him up to ask if he approved of your assistance in this project. He agreed, but on one condition.
Gordon: What’s that?
George: You have to provide us with more Pokémon.
Gordon: I can do that, sir! There’s a whole stockpile of them back at my office in Verdanturf Town!
George: Then you’ll have to bring them here.
Gordon: Will our army be strong enough?
George: In time, I’m sure it’s going to be very powerful, but we’re still in the early stages of production.
Gordon: Aren’t you worried that someone’s going to find this island? They could shut us down and report us to the SPCP.
George: Not at all. Normally, this isn’t a problem, thanks to a cloaking device that I’ve placed on this island, but there have been a couple of incidents where young trainers have shown up uninvited.
Gordon: What did you do with them?
George: I fooled them into bringing their Pokémon into my special “Learning Room”, where these robotic arms insert the chips. Then I activated the mind control device to take over their Pokémon’s brains.
Gordon: Clever thinking. Do you think this will ever happen again?
George: Probably not. This is a very remote location. Those kids only found it because of foggy weather, and moisture in fog interferes with my cloaking device. Now, enough chit chat. Let’s get to work!

Dr. Gordon and George congregate outside of the Learning Room. A line of newly-chipped Pokémon stands in front of the door. The two scientists cackle madly like cheesy horror movie villains.

Date: July 26, 2018

The Intruder Alarm sounds. George frantically calls for Dr. Gordon’s assistance.

Gordon: What’s going on, sir?
George: Take a look at this security footage. There’s a boat on our beach. And children are getting out of it.
Gordon: Hey, I know those kids!
George: Oh, really?
Gordon: Yes! When I was still working on my Rare Candy in the Battle Frontier, these kids visited my lab and helped me clean up after a Caterpie nearly destroyed it.
George: Are they here to spy on our operations?
Gordon: Goodness, no! These children aren’t dangerous. They’re the nicest group of children I’ve ever met. In fact, their leader, Ash Ketchum, almost won the Kalos League a while back!
George: Ash Ketchum is with them?!? No way! He’s, like, a Pokémon legend! I’ve never missed a single one of his League matches on TV!
Gordon: Ketchum has some of the strongest Pokémon I’ve ever seen. Who knows? He might even be able to help us!
George: In that case, I’ll send the welcoming committee out to greet them. You must go out there as well and gain their trust.
Gordon: Okey-dokey, sir!
George: Excellent....everything is proceeding as Giovanni has foreseen. He will be most pleased when we hand him over the boy’s Pokémon....this cannot possibly fail...

THE END...or is it???

Author’s note: And so, another one of my fan fictions comes to a close. This isn’t one of my better ones, as I had a very hard time writing it. I had to spend a lot of time making sure it didn’t contradict any of what I mentioned in the other story. Maybe you guys disagree with my thoughts, though. Tell me what you think in the comments.

Coming soon: My next fan fiction is about the bizarre vacation our heroes had in Alola immediately before coming across Dr. Gordon and George Forthright’s evil scheme. Stay tuned!

My dream cast:

Dan Green: George Forthright, Doctor
Mike Pollock: Johnny Forthright, General
Lisa Ortiz: Kelly Forthright, Lady in audience
Eric Stuart: Wartortle, Blastoise, Venustoise
Sean Schemmel: Freddy, Audience Guy #2
Wayne Grayson: Dr. Gordon, Audience Guy #1
Ed Paul: Referee
Tara Sands: Young George
Erica Schroeder: Nurse Joy, 1970 nurse
Stan Hart: Professor Oak
Jake Paque: Professor Sycamore, Speaker
Lee Quick: Officer Jenny
Rodger Parsons: Narrator

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom