• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Little Things

Positive little things:
* Moving sprites.
* Correctly cased names for Pokémon.
* The new experience formula.
* The "Exit everything" button. Makes everything a lot faster.
* Pokédex is now recording Shiny Pokémon as seen Formes. If your first encounter of a Pokémon is a Shiny Pokémon, it will show as such in the main list.
* Unlimited TMs. (Buying TMs is also a good money sink since they cost so much.)
* The quick list on the X button. Very handy.
* Trades aren't limited to your party.
* GTS and Poké Mart in every Pokémon Center. The best thing since sliced bread*.
* Seeing the time on the bottom screen pretty much all the time, even in battle.

Negative little things:
* No "running shoes on" button. Becomes a non-problem as soon as you get the Bike, though.
* As a trading person, Pal Pad still having only 32 slots irks me a bit.
* Some menus or dialogue text cannot be navigated on touch screen only.
* Casing not fixed if a non-nickname-flagged Pokémon is transferred from Gen IV. Seriously...
* Where's the VS Seeker? >_>
* Or Battle Frontier? >__>
* Or walking Pokémon with you? >___>
* Still no separate small sprites (PC, party) for Shiny Pokémon? >____>
* No Gym Leader rematches either? >__________>
* They created the awesome Pokéathlon to replace contests in HGSS, only to ditch it in the next game. I don't want this boring musical crap.

They like to drop a lot of convenient stuff from previous games. "A fresh start" doesn't have to be a lame excuse for that.

*) The person who created this idiom must've been a HUGE fan of bread...

Last edited:
I hate how they didn't change the word blocking from the Japanese version. Seriously, you can't even name your Pokemon PINE because of this obscure thing
I wanted to name one of my Pokemon Dick after the boy wonder, but nooo. :I

I found a new one today that I don't think has been mentioned. When you receive a pokemon that you had previously traded away, it'll say "_____ came back! Welcome back _____!"

Thought that was a really nice touch, shows that you don't forget your pokes

I hate how they didn't change the word blocking from the Japanese version. Seriously, you can't even name your Pokemon PINE because of this obscure thing
I wanted to name one of my Pokemon Dick after the boy wonder, but nooo. :I
Sexualintercauseco used explosion!

I love the 3D effects. When you're just moving around like normal, it's about like HG/SS, but sometimes it's extremely 3D like in Castelia city and going up the stairs to the champion's room.

Negative little things:
* Or Battle Frontier? >__>
* Or walking Pokémon with you? >___>
* Still no separate small sprites (PC, party) for Shiny Pokémon? >____>
* No Gym Leader rematches either? >__________>

to be fair, * number 1 and 4 are always only in the third game and remakes, 3 seems like a really minor thing, they animated over a thousand sprites, give them a rest at least, and 2 - i'm pretty sure it was meant to be a HGSS only thing...

Last edited:
So I just got an egg from the Daycare & went to talk to the lady & she said my pokemon were "energetic" XD

that's a little thing I appreciate XD

Also, the 3D plane, animated sprites & sped up battle pace. Love it.

Some little thing I just found today: tapping the image of a pokémon in your party when viewing their stats will change the animation from its front pose to its back pose. Without stop-starting the animation cycle.

<3 That's so damn cool.

Pokemon who are asleep actually close their eyes. That's pretty amazing.

I don't really care about this, but it seems moves don't "miss" anymore. Instead the pokemon that is being attacked will dodge. I'm pretty sure pokemon did both in previous generations.

I don't really care about this, but it seems moves don't "miss" anymore. Instead the pokemon that is being attacked will dodge. I'm pretty sure pokemon did both in previous generations.

That's true.

In Generation IV....

If it was a single target move, it "missed".

If it was a move that would hit both foes in a double battle, the target "avoided" the attack (even in singles).

If it was Leech Seed, the foe "evaded" the attack.

If it was a OHKO move, the foe "wasn't affected".

Now everything avoids the attacks.

With a mustache.

I love how you can see the last time you saved your game. Sometimes I forget if I saved or not so it's a cool feature.

I'll second you. After getting a ton of useless items, it's hard finding my repels.

Definitely. I like pretty much all of the other changes, but I find it so annoying to try to look for items... Every time I think "I need to use a/n ___..." I can't help but sigh. I really wish they'd done this differently, too.

Definitely. I like pretty much all of the other changes, but I find it so annoying to try to look for items... Every time I think "I need to use a/n ___..." I can't help but sigh. I really wish they'd done this differently, too.

Now that I think about it, this reminds me of Gen I's mess of a bag hahaha

My only beef with the features of BW is no VS Seeker and touch-screen controls for everything in the menu and the PC.

Other than that, I love it all! 8D Animated sprites are AMAZING! I love it! My battle against Bianca in my JP White lasted like 20 minutes because I was watching that amazing camera move around while Snivy was tapping his foot impatiently and Boca-chan (Pokabu/Tepig) was jumping around all happy and shit.

The seasons is another very nice touch. @A@ Winter and Autumn are my favorite looks so far. In the future, we need more Pokemon that change with the season! Deerling and Sawsbuck are lonely!

The low-HP battle music is also perfect for getting your heart pumping. You're like "OH NO OH NO DON'T PANIC I'M GETTING THAT POTION!". First time I heard it I panicked and accidentally hit "Attack Tackle" instead of "Bag". Lols.

On the music note, the music that plays when the Gym Leader is on their last Pokemon! Hell yeah near-victory fanfare! Makes defeating a particularly tough gym leader (coughlenoraclayandiris) MUCH more satisfying!

Ooh, and the ability to organize your bags with a single button! Once I figured out how the auto-organized worked, I found stuff easy now! 8D Yay!

Basically, for me where Platinum is #1, Black/White easily fall under #2 as "Best Pokemon Game of All Time". Maybe Pt and BW tied. But eh. Either way, BW introduced some awesome features! It is indeed an amazing game worthy of over like a billion sales worldwide!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom