• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The living pokedex

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I went through the pain in he butt that is creating a living Pokedex. This project started in XY but back then it was to have a compltec Dex not living dex. The difference is that you don't keep the Pokemon you trade for Dex entrys.

In oras I expanded it to living Dex, in sm I expanded it to include all forms that can stay in the boxes. As of now I have all Pokemon and all alternative forms save the flebebe forms and vivillon. I now need two games one for my living Dex and one for competitive Pokemon and shinies xD

Have you ever done a living Dex if so tell your story, did you include forms?

Have you ever attempted a shiny living Dex? ( Excluding shiny locked Pokemon of course) if so how long did it take before you rage quit? XD

The unown in particular took me forever xD

Last edited:
I've always been interested in teh idea of a living dex, or at the very least a full national dex. Wonder Trading makes such a thing very possible now and I almost accomplished a complete dex in Alpha Sapphire. Though since the national dex seems like its going to be relegated to Pokemon Bank (which I do not have nor do I have much desire to actually have at this point) I don't see myself ever trying to complete it at this point.

I’ve thoughtof doing the living decent plenty of times. Across all my games and files and boxes I’m sure I could put it together no problem. But then I think about it... why? I don’t feel the need to I’m not a compulsive collector, and I don’t care much for the pat on the back for doing it. Only time I ever completed any dex of any capacity was in Sun, and that was strictly with the intent to get the shiny charm to breed something.

I’ve thoughtof doing the living decent plenty of times. Across all my games and files and boxes I’m sure I could put it together no problem. But then I think about it... why? I don’t feel the need to I’m not a compulsive collector, and I don’t care much for the pat on the back for doing it. Only time I ever completed any dex of any capacity was in Sun, and that was strictly with the intent to get the shiny charm to breed something.

I do so when I do transfer my Pokemon that's the Dec (national or regional) done In one go. Just catch the new mons while I wait for the transfer service to work for the new games.
I've always been interested in teh idea of a living dex, or at the very least a full national dex. Wonder Trading makes such a thing very possible now and I almost accomplished a complete dex in Alpha Sapphire. Though since the national dex seems like its going to be relegated to Pokemon Bank (which I do not have nor do I have much desire to actually have at this point) I don't see myself ever trying to complete it at this point.
Well the national Dex is one thing, but you can use bulbapedia to know the order. And it's mostly for the glory xD even without a national Dex you'd complete the regional Dex really fast with the exception of new Pokemon.

I assembled a Living Dex in... I think it was in 2015, during the hiatus, and I’m quite happy to have accomplished it. I did include all of the forms, but it didn’t occur to me until much later that Deoxys’s forms could be stored separately in the box, so I then blazed through three more runs of ORAS to get those. That part was probably the most miserable, because I hate doing speedruns. Everything else was generally fun and rewarding but tedious at times, as you’d expect.

Technically, it has lost its completed status because I have yet to get a Poipole and Naganadel for it, but I’m working on that. Just have to finish up my current runs of USUM, and then all that’s left is the waiting game for Zeraora.

I assembled a Living Dex in... I think it was in 2015, during the hiatus, and I’m quite happy to have accomplished it. I did include all of the forms, but it didn’t occur to me until much later that Deoxys’s forms could be stored separately in the box, so I then blazed through three more runs of ORAS to get those. That part was probably the most miserable, because I hate doing speedruns. Everything else was generally fun and rewarding but tedious at times, as you’d expect.

Technically, it has lost its completed status because I have yet to get a Poipole and Naganadel for it, but I’m working on that. Just have to finish up my current runs of USUM, and then all that’s left is the waiting game for Zeraora.
Vivvion forms as well? I just so happened to have four deoxys from multiple play through I had already done xD

I have a living dex in Bank, I worked on it between XY and ORAS. At first it didn't really include any forms, but then over the year leading up to SM I worked on adding forms like Vivillon, Wormadam, Gourgeist, Pyroar etc. I think I'm pretty much done with it now, I added all the Gen 7 stuff with Alolan forms and the new USUM stuff. I just gotta wait for Gen 8 now (and Zeraora, but I probably won't be getting one of those for a while). Although with Gen 7 not having a National Dex we'll see how useful it is going forward, at least it helped getting the Shiny Charm faster.

Vivvion forms as well?

Vivillon forms as well, indeed. I was fortunate to find a "dealer," if you will, on Reddit, though they have since closed their services. But at the time, they were capable of breeding any form due to their multitude of 3DSes and copies of XY, and would accept any form in exchange. I'm not really sure what my solution would have been otherwise. Probably just trading and wonder trading and keeping any Scatterbug I received and leaving that up to chance.

Ah, and now I remember how much of a slog it was to get the six Ash-Pikachu in SM...

I have a Living Dex, with most forms (Burmy family/Vivillon/Deerling family/Lycanroc, etc) in the Pokemon Bank.

When I got back into playing the games in 2016, in the lead up to Sun and Moon after a hiatus since 2003, I started with X and OR. I figured, to save time in future gens (especially since stones were so hard to come by in those versions) to save evos of all of the stone evolutions in the Bank. Then, I decided to save all of the Eevolutions in the bank like Sylveon because they're gimmicky to evolve. After that, I got caught up on the mythical/legendary distribution, again in the name of saving myself the headache in the future. Next thing I know, I have a Living Dex with all 802 plus forms.

I am a bit of a completionist, so that doesn't help... the only one of different forms I don't have are the Ash Pikachus (because I didn't really care) and the different Deoxys forms because Deoxys is my least favorite legendary. Otherwise, all forms I have.

I do like having the glory and bragging rights of having one complete.

I have a living dex in Bank, I worked on it between XY and ORAS. At first it didn't really include any forms, but then over the year leading up to SM I worked on adding forms like Vivillon, Wormadam, Gourgeist, Pyroar etc. I think I'm pretty much done with it now, I added all the Gen 7 stuff with Alolan forms and the new USUM stuff. I just gotta wait for Gen 8 now (and Zeraora, but I probably won't be getting one of those for a while). Although with Gen 7 not having a National Dex we'll see how useful it is going forward, at least it helped getting the Shiny Charm faster.
Dang gougist too? I didn't really consider it because it's forms are just totem Pokemon like changes which you can't tell in the box. Normally I just go with forms that change the icon. But that's some dedication

Personally, they only variations that I exclude are Shiny Pokémon (because that would be too much work) and Totem Pokémon (since half of them can’t even be stored in the Bank - if that changes, then I’ll acknowledge them, although it’s kind of a moot point anyway because I do have all of the available Totems anyway). My Living Dex includes just about every form, as well as every gender difference.

Well... I suppose if you wanted to be really specific, I am missing a few forms. I’m short about seventeen Arceus (I do sometimes feel like kicking myself for missing the opportunity to abuse the second chance Wi-Fi event in 2016), sixteen Silvally (but that would require a hell of a lot of effort and masochism), either three or four Genesect (my Living Dex is composed entirely out of pentagon/clover-marked Pokémon, and while I do have a second Genesect, it came from the B2W2 event and therefore lacks an origin marking), Eternal Floette (not my fault, blame Game Freak), Original Color Magearna (also not my fault, same thing), Spiky-eared Pichu (I know it can’t be transferred, but for the record I did not get one when it was available, because I was sort of on hiatus from the series), and five Cosplay Pikachu (also can’t be transferred, but they’re still ownable so they could theoretically “count”).

I don’t keep all of my Living Dex in one place, however. I keep the Mythicals and the Vivillon forms stored on one of my Gen 7 game carts, just in case I somehow forget to renew my Bank subscription and my boxes get nuked. I also have to keep Giratina-O, Shaymin-S, Hoopa-U, and the Furfrou trims on the in-game PC in order to have them maintained in those forms, so my Bank just has empty “representative” spaces after each of those base Pokémon.

Personally, they only variations that I exclude are Shiny Pokémon (because that would be too much work) and Totem Pokémon (since half of them can’t even be stored in the Bank - if that changes, then I’ll acknowledge them, although it’s kind of a moot point anyway because I do have all of the available Totems anyway). My Living Dex includes just about every form, as well as every gender difference.

Well... I suppose if you wanted to be really specific, I am missing a few forms. I’m short about seventeen Arceus (I do sometimes feel like kicking myself for missing the opportunity to abuse the second chance Wi-Fi event in 2016), sixteen Silvally (but that would require a hell of a lot of effort and masochism), either three or four Genesect (my Living Dex is composed entirely out of pentagon/clover-marked Pokémon, and while I do have a second Genesect, it came from the B2W2 event and therefore lacks an origin marking), Eternal Floette (not my fault, blame Game Freak), Original Color Magearna (also not my fault, same thing), Spiky-eared Pichu (I know it can’t be transferred, but for the record I did not get one when it was available, because I was sort of on hiatus from the series), and five Cosplay Pikachu (also can’t be transferred, but they’re still ownable so they could theoretically “count”).

I don’t keep all of my Living Dex in one place, however. I keep the Mythicals and the Vivillon forms stored on one of my Gen 7 game carts, just in case I somehow forget to renew my Bank subscription and my boxes get nuked. I also have to keep Giratina-O, Shaymin-S, Hoopa-U, and the Furfrou trims on the in-game PC in order to have them maintained in those forms, so my Bank just has empty “representative” spaces after each of those base Pokémon.

And here I thought I was anal retentive... well done!

Same thing with the arecus and genesect to much effort same with silvally lol xD

I've done a living dex in Black2. The GTS negotiations provided a lot of help. The forums helped me with mythicals. I don't think I had separate forms for every mon - for instance, I'd just have a Kyurem for Kyurem's entry instead of having both black and white forms. As for making a shiny living dex - nah. Too much effort.

However, I lost a portion of them while transferring over the mons to recent games. They're scattered all over the place somewhere in my games.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom