• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Lore of Z-Power Crystals (Z-Boosted Moves)

What do you think Z-moves will do in US/UM?

• Get an upgrade, nothing changes, except getting more exclusive Z-moves

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • Z-moves changes form in their Final Evolution, similar how Mega Evolution does

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Z-moves boost regular moves in Z-boosted moves

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StandbyForBattle

Strongest Trainer
Reaction score
Since we already know the lore of Mega Evolution in XY, ORAS, and Pokemon XYZ anime, When I was playing Sun/Moon, I'm wondering will there be a story or some sort of history of Z-moves. I know we just got Z-moves Mechanic in Sun/Moon, but Since the announcement of UltraSun/UltraMoon, and the player twisting his Z-Crystal in the trailer

QBFBAlt.gif

I wonder if we'll know the Z-moves true potentials. In Sun/Moon, Z-moves are just unlocking power between Trainer and Pokmon by unleashing Powerful Moves. Mega Evolution is a bond between Trainer and Pokemon to unlock their True Power, by changing forms. Mega Evolution and Z-moves can't interact with each other because the trainer have to hold one item for the pokemon, Although Mega Evolution pokemon using Z-moves would be a total overkill, which is the reason why Gamefrake decide to keep them separate and a smart for GF to keep Rayquaza from using Mega Evolve and Z-Moves at the same time. There's not history in Z-moves (yet), but in Sun/Moon, "information by Professor Kukui indicates that Z-Power may be related to the energy produced by Ultra Wormholes. Wicke also speculates that Lusamine's losing consciousness after fusing with Nihilego in Ultra Space may have been due to the Z-Power surrounding her." If moves are the main focus in Sun/Moon, I wonder if Z-moves will do more than just unleashing powerful move, judging by this image, it looks like the flashing color of forms change, similar how Mega Evolution did judging by the images below:
c1vz7.gif

Will they're be a chance of Z-moves changing the pokemon forms similar how Mega Evolution? The fans would speculate that it would some Ultra Forms/Ultra Fusion that are exclusive to Solgaleo, Lunaala, and Necromza fusion forms, I doubt it, because it a look a the Japanese logo below and Solgaleo and Lunaala fusion symbol on their head:
game.png

cc64f55e34518e80b30fff2d55650000.jpg

It feels like some sort of item that help them fuse together the similar thing with the DNA splicer fusing Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem together. On the other hand the same color of Necromza on the Black Z-ring might consider some ties to Necromza itself or a design change. Anyway What do you think of Z-moves, will they do a follow up of Z-moves like they XY into ORAS with Mega with a lore, Does Z-moves will have any upgrade version or Changes forms similar to Megas?

EDIT: Disapproven with the theory of Z-Evolution, I'm thinking of Z-moves boosting regular moves into Z-boosted moves, how likely is for Z-boosted moves? You can choose up to two polls.

Last edited:
If the Z-Crystal had something to do with them changing into the forms, I think they would've showed the forms after the player using the ring, to indicate that the forms happen after using the ring. But with the player using the ring only after the forms are shown, I think there's just a unique Z-Move that only these forms can use. I mean Solgaleo and Lunala don't have a unique Z-Move yet so that would definitely make sense imo.

There's also the possibility that these are Necrozma forms. These forms look as if Solgaleo and Lunala are made of light. Necrozma splits light, so it makes sense that Necrozma uses Solar or Lunar power to activate these forms.

I may be wrong, but this still has a good chance.

If the Z-Crystal had something to do with them changing into the forms, I think they would've showed the forms after the player using the ring, to indicate that the forms happen after using the ring. But with the player using the ring only after the forms are shown, I think there's just a unique Z-Move that only these forms can use. I mean Solgaleo and Lunala don't have a unique Z-Move yet so that would definitely make sense imo.
If the Z-ring might have something to do with Solgaleo, Lunaala, Necromza fusion, then they would have showed. Also what about the Prism symbol top of their heads and in the japanese logos, it looks like some sort of item to help them fuse together, I'm thinking it's more than just a Z-ring. Remember that Z-forms rumor from the last rumor thread, I'm indicating that Z-crystal might do more than just unleashing powerful moves, it might changes forms in their final evolution with a exclusive Z-Crystal (for example Johto Starters need some new form if it's not Mega Evolution), we'll I think it was scrapped to use it US/UM, even though they're mistaking it for Ash-greninja having it's z-forms because of the Battle Bond Ability. Unless it's entirely different from it.

I doubt it'll have anything to do with Mega Evolution (and I hope it doesn't, I still feel like Megas need to take a back seat). Mostly likely we'll just get some more exclusive Z-Moves, which I hope will be the case.

I doubt it'll have anything to do with Mega Evolution (and I hope it doesn't, I still feel like Megas need to take a back seat). Mostly likely we'll just get some more exclusive Z-Moves, which I hope will be the case.
I'm not saying it has anything to do with Mega Evolution, I said something similar to Megas, I'm suggesting that when your perform a Z-move you change forms. Remember that Z-forms rumors (even though it died down because of Greninja's Battle Bond Ability), yeah that was I referring too.

Something like Z-Forms would be interesting, but I'm wondering if it would be considered too OP~ You're already using a move with an insane amount of power, now you're going to change forms upon using it (form change suggests stat boosts). It seems like a bit too much.

Something like Z-Forms would be interesting, but I'm wondering if it would be considered too OP~ You're already using a move with an insane amount of power, now you're going to change forms upon using it (form change suggests stat boosts). It seems like a bit too much.
Like Lusamine fused with the Ultra Beast, and all her pokemon got stat boost, Just like how the Totem pokemon got stat boost with orange aura. Megas had some stat changes, not to mention some type changes, Especially Rayquaza, It's strong enough, and it's had Mega forms without Mega Stone.

Like Lusamine fused with the Ultra Beast, and all her pokemon got stat boost, Just like how the Totem pokemon got stat boost with orange aura. Megas had some stat changes, not to mention some type changes, Especially Rayquaza, It's strong enough, and it's had Mega forms without Mega Stone.

Mega Rayquaza IS OP, this is a fact. But it's specific to a Legendary Pokemon. ANY Pokemon can use a Z-Move, and a lot of Pokemon in the game hold Z-Crystals. It seems a bit overpowered (not to mention a lot of work) to make some sort of Z-Forms for every Pokemon since they can all use Z-moves. Even if it was restricted to final Evolutions, that's still hundreds of Pokemon.

I'm not saying it has anything to do with Mega Evolution, I said something similar to Megas, I'm suggesting that when your perform a Z-move you change forms. Remember that Z-forms rumors (even though it died down because of Greninja's Battle Bond Ability), yeah that was I referring too.

Oh, well that could be possible. I'd be fine with that if it's a stat boosting move or something. If it's an actual damaging move, I think it would be a bit much to blast out a super powerful move, then change into a stronger form.

Mega Rayquaza IS OP, this is a fact. But it's specific to a Legendary Pokemon. ANY Pokemon can use a Z-Move, and a lot of Pokemon in the game hold Z-Crystals. It seems a bit overpowered (not to mention a lot of work) to make some sort of Z-Forms for every Pokemon since they can all use Z-moves. Even if it was restricted to final Evolutions, that's still hundreds of Pokemon.
Z-moves are kinda overpowered, depending on what attacks you are using, Imaging you using a Z-moves that is twice as powerful than Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, Volt Tackle, and Draco Meteor. The forms would probably change stats and probably types.

Z-moves are kinda overpowered, depending on what attacks you are using, Imaging you using a Z-moves that is twice as powerful than Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, Volt Tackle, and Draco Meteor. The forms would probably change stats and probably types.

That's what I'm saying, all of that seems waayyy too overpowered.

That's what I'm saying, all of that seems waayyy too overpowered.
Well TPC and GF always find some sort of way for Pokemon to get stronger. Mega Evolution was a thing in Gen 6, along Primal Reversion (Which are exclusively to Groudon and Kyogre). Now Z-moves are a main thing in Alola, and Megas are in a sideline. Both of those Gimmicks are way for a Trainer and Pokemon to bond in order for the pokemon to unlock that potential power. Who knows GF might do something crazy with those mechanics like putting Megas and Z-moves together (that would be a over kill), introduce a mechanic that is twice as powerful than Megas and Z-moves put together in Gen VIII (A total overkill) or Introduce a Pokemon Fusion (that would be a nightmare), they probably don't care about how overpowered it is, as long it works well in the game.

Well TPC and GF always find some sort of way for Pokemon to get stronger. Mega Evolution was a thing in Gen 6, along Primal Reversion (Which are exclusively to Groudon and Kyogre). Now Z-moves are a main thing in Alola, and Megas are in a sideline. Both of those Gimmicks are way for a Trainer and Pokemon to bond in order for the pokemon to unlock that potential power. Who knows GF might do something crazy with those mechanics like putting Megas and Z-moves together (that would be a over kill), introduce a mechanic that is twice as powerful than Megas and Z-moves put together in Gen VIII (A total overkill) or Introduce a Pokemon Fusion (that would be a nightmare), they probably don't care about how overpowered it is, as long it works well in the game.

I don't think GF will keep introducing to the point that it becomes TOO strong. Megas on their own is fine, Z-Moves on their own is fine, Totems on their own is fine, "Z-Forms" on their own would be fine. But I don't think combining any of these things would be very good for gameplay. It would just be a lot being thrown at the play at once and having to deal with.

I don't think GF will keep introducing to the point that it becomes TOO strong. Megas on their own is fine, Z-Moves on their own is fine, Totems on their own is fine, "Z-Forms" on their own would be fine. But I don't think combining any of these things would be very good for gameplay. It would just be a lot being thrown at the play at once and having to deal with.
I'm not saying combining these thing will happen, I'm just using this as a example, because GF are crazy when it comes to new mechanics to make pokemon stronger, who knows what the future will hold up.
But I think that something should be 'blocked' about these forms, sort of like Greninja loses its ability slot in Ash-Mode.
In Mega Evolution, Some pokemon did had they're type change like Mega Charizard X (Fire/Dragon), Mega Altaria (Dragon/Fairy), Mega Aggron (Steel), Mega Lopunny (Normal/Fighting)

In Mega Evolution, Some pokemon did had they're type change like Mega Charizard X (Fire/Dragon), Mega Altaria (Dragon/Fairy), Mega Aggron (Steel), Mega Lopunny (Normal/Fighting)

What I mean to say is that SOMETHING should be unusable in these powered Pokemon. For ex. Megas don't have an item slot, Ash-Greninja lacks ability etc.

I think I got something for Z-crystal, it just a speculation:
  • I was thinking of Z-crystal changing the form in their final evolution (some sort of Z-Evolution), similar to Mega Evolution
  • It boost the stats, maybe something similar Aura to Totem pokemon and Ultra Beast.
  • Your moves will be converted in Z-type move, like from the datamine, there's a bunch of Z-moves, For example, Z-Sky Attack, Z-Blast Burn, Z-Frenzy Plant, Z-Hydro Cannon, and Z-moves (form example, Supersonic Skystrike, Continental Crush, etc) are converted to regular moves matter of fact a 5th move.

I think I got something for Z-crystal, it just a speculation:
  • I was thinking of Z-crystal changing the form in their final evolution (some sort of Z-Evolution), similar to Mega Evolution
  • It boost the stats, maybe something similar Aura to Totem pokemon and Ultra Beast.
  • Your moves will be converted in Z-type move, like from the datamine, there's a bunch of Z-moves, For example, Z-Sky Attack, Z-Blast Burn, Z-Frenzy Plant, Z-Hydro Cannon, and Z-moves (form example, Supersonic Skystrike, Continental Crush, etc) are converted to regular moves matter of fact a 5th move.
Sounds like Z-Moves and Mega Evolution combined. Z-Forms again?

Sounds like Z-Moves and Mega Evolution combined. Z-Forms again?
No way, I was not talking about Megas and Z-moves combining together. So that's what it's called when you combine them both together. Whatever it is, I hope there's a mystery in Z-Power, than just Z-moves, maybe having a exclusive Z-Crystal might change forms.

For example: Primarina
Moves:
Z-Hydro Cannon
Z-Hydro Pump
Z-Sparkling Aria
Z-MoonBlast
Fifth Move:
Oceanic Operetta

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom