• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert Thread

To all of the people saying that Mega Swampert would get Sap Sipper or Drizzle, well Game Freak probably pulled the biggest middle finger in all gaming history with its true ability, Swift Swim. Swift Swim was one of the best abilities in the Gen V metagame, but with the rain nerf... not so much.

I'm surprised the majority from what I've been reading prefer the look of Mega Swampert as opposed to Sceptile.
I'm crazy about Sceptile! Crazy. Treecko is my all time fav Starter Pokémon so I guess that's another plus and now an even better reason to choose Treecko this time. I'll save choosing Mudkip for when I buy Alpha Sapphire a month later.
I'm glad they didn't over-do their designs in general though, kept it simple but awesome.

Bpi0-92CAAAA-xC.jpg

I don't see the point in giving mega sceptile lighting rod but one things for sure rotom washs days in the meta game are numbered.

These abiltes seem to capitalize on double battles more then anything else though

Mega Sceptile has plenty of liabilities as a Grass/Dragon type.
- Six weaknesses: Ice (4x), Dragon, Fairy, Poison, Flying, Bug
- One immunity to a type it already takes 0.25x damage from as opposed to a better ability
- No Draco Meteor: it suffers alongside Mega Ampharos as having only Dragon Pulse as its strongest Dragon STAB
- Priority Flying users (Talonflame, Mega Pinsir)
- Fairy types in general (Sylveon, Togekiss, and Mawile especially)

Only positive thing that came with Mega Sceptile's new type is that it no longer takes super-effective damage from Fire-type attacks.

I can't see Mega Sceptile breaking the Gen VI OU metagame anytime soon.

You know Mega Sceptile's Grass/Dragon isn't really all that...sure it's now neutral to Fire type moves, but in exchange it gains 3 more weaknesses for a grand total of 6 (with a quad weakness to Ice). Lightning Rod was very unexpected and the only niche I see that in is double/triple battles. But at that point, people will already know so it's counter productive. Still, being immune to T-Wave is always nice.

Mega Swampert looks ugly. But it also looks very bulky. I think it will see the usage that Mega Venusaur does, if not a physical sweeper in the rain.

Lightning Rod? lolwot

Dat Sp.Atk boost, man

But seriously, you know what it means, right? Pair it with a Heliolisk and you have an Electrify + Lightningrod Mega combo on your hands (nullify any move from one opponent of choice), or an Ion Deluge + Lightningrod Mega combo (nullifies any Normal-type move, including most status moves). You can also hit hard with Discharge combos (sure it won't work on Ground, but that's what Sceptile's Grass attacks are for anyway).

So many people are acting like Lightning Rod is such a weird choice. Sceptile has a giant tree-tail and trees act as lightning rods, often drawing in the lightning.

Swift Swim is sad. Was hoping for something like Regenerator or Water Absorb. It was never going to get Sap Sipper anyway so don't know why people expected it to.

So many people are acting like Lightning Rod is such a weird choice. Sceptile has a giant tree-tail and trees act as lightning rods, often drawing in the lightning.

The logic is there, but that ability just isn't a very good one for Mega Sceptile.

You have to Mega Evolve it, switch it out, and then switch it back against a T-Wave/Thunderbolt for the Special Attack boost.

Still, being immune to T-Wave is always nice.

Not necessarily. Mega Sceptile can still be affected by Thunder Wave if used by a pokemon with Mold Breaker, Teravolt, or Turboblaze.

Mega Swampert looks ugly. But it also looks very bulky. I think it will see the usage that Mega Venusaur does, if not a physical sweeper in the rain.

Mega Swampert should have most of its stat gains in Attack and Defense. Though you'd expect Mega Swampert's Speed to drop because it gained all of that muscle mass.

Ideally, I would like Mega Swampert to have this stat distribution:
HP: 100 (doesn't change)
ATK: 110 to 160
DEF: 90 to 120
Sp ATK: 85
Sp DEF: 90 to 120
SPEED: 60 to 50

I'm surprised the majority from what I've been reading prefer the look of Mega Swampert as opposed to Sceptile.

Maybe that's because we've only seen Sceptile from the back.

no we saw him from the front nothing much changed he's in a small corner in a game play screen shot

A tiny blurred screenshot off to the side doesn't count for anything.

Well we can clearly see they've added more to the arms, what more is there to add to the front in one's mind? A giant spike coming out of it's chest, I doubt. On a possibility of the subject though, maybe it'll get the same spores on it's tail put onto it's front, but otherwise I can't see anything else that would change someone's mind about it, especially if their already set on Swampert lol.

The logic is there, but that ability just isn't a very good one for Mega Sceptile.

You have to Mega Evolve it, switch it out, and then switch it back against a T-Wave/Thunderbolt for the Special Attack boost.

Why would you have to switch? The ability would activate during the same turn because it isn't speed-dependent and determined prior to evolving like Prankster with Mega Banette. It's like how Charizard Y activates Drought upon evolving even if it isn't the fastest Pokemon on the field at the time.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. You mean to switch it into Electric types to get the boost. Yeah, that's a bit of a nuisance.

There's still far, far worse abilities it could have been given. Mega Swampert and Houndoom both have abilities that are much less useful than Lightning Rod.

They look pretty cool but both abilities were a disappointment. Though I bet Mega Swampert will be a beast if paired with Drizzle.

Still, being immune to T-Wave is always nice.

Not necessarily. Mega Sceptile can still be affected by Thunder Wave if used by a pokemon with Mold Breaker, Teravolt, or Turboblaze.

True. However, I was referring to initial immunity without interference of Mold Breaker-esque abilties. I don't think many Mega Ampharos or Kyurem B/W will be personally seeking to paralyze the Forest Pokemon that often.

Mega Swampert should have most of its stat gains in Attack and Defense. Though you'd expect Mega Swampert's Speed to drop because it gained all of that muscle mass.

Ideally, I would like Mega Swampert to have this stat distribution:
HP: 100 (doesn't change)
ATK: 110 to 160
DEF: 90 to 120
Sp ATK: 85
Sp DEF: 90 to 120
SPEED: 60 to 50

Good point. So not as tanky as Mega Venusaur. Maybe as a physical wall with a Curse set though. Man, Swampert already is tough to deal with (if you have no Grass type moves). I can't wait to see it tear up OU with its sheer physical bulk. Also that is a nice stat distribution, but you know that GF will most likely allocate some of that to its Special Attack.

I'm kind of glad they got Mega Evolutions now, as it seemed to unfair that only Blaziken got one and it's fellow starters didn't. I will probably use Sceptile because it's design looks cool, and to be fair I was never a fan of Blaziken to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom