• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert Thread

I just realized, but give Mega Sceptile Electrify, and it's a lock.

I saw the suggestion of Electrify Heliolisk and Mega Sceptile as a doubles combination. Certainly sounds fun, even if it will start to be predictable.

I saw the suggestion of Electrify Heliolisk and Mega Sceptile as a doubles combination. Certainly sounds fun, even if it will start to be predictable.

Even if its predictable, what are you going to do? Sucker Punch from Mawile is predictable but people still attack because there's no other alternative. Kangaskhan's going to be the best candidate for this :3

There may also be some utility in Ion Deluge (only if Heliolisk learned it ):) since it could shut down Taunt users for a turn while stealing a boost.

These guys really are made for double battles. Why do we even have single battles in game anymore like Game Freak obviously cares more about doubles.

Last edited:
Even if its predictable, what are you going to do?

Be faster and/or kill the Heliolisk I guess. Electrify doesn't have increased priority and Electrify only targets one Pokemon. Also: Prankster Taunt, Spore, etc. Suppose Choice Scarf Heliolisk with Electrify might be better for the strategy but then you're locked into a non-damaging move.

These guys really are made for double battles.

Yep.

Be faster and/or kill the Heliolisk I guess. Electrify doesn't have increased priority and Electrify only targets one Pokemon. Also: Prankster Taunt, Spore, etc. Suppose Choice Scarf Heliolisk with Electrify might be better for the strategy but then you're locked into a non-damaging move.
Heliolisk isn't the fastest Pokemon, but its still faster than a lot of things and combined with Protect, you're drawing people's attention away from Sceptile while its free to attack and potentially not be a target thanks to Heliolisk. Drawing attention away from your Mega is just as good imo. Sceptile's also fairly fast so the plan of action is probably for Sceptile to attack the opposing Pokemon that Heliolisk isn't using Electrify on.

While Taunt is an issue, its not like being taunted shuts Heliolisk down completely, gets you a free hit if your plan was never to set up Electrify. As for Spore, wouldn't Lightning Rod redirect it anyway? If so, screwing up Spore is reason enough to use it.

With Sceptile losing its fire weakness, I'm liking the idea of using these guys in a Sun team too. It gives Sceptile a 100% accurate base 120 move, and it makes people think twice about whether or not Solar Power Heliolisk is really going to power up Sceptile or attack with its sun-boosted hits.

Swampert, its weird. While I like the mega evolution, Swift Swim as an ability makes me wish they went for something sleeker. Of course that would be weird considering how the other 2 are such, but eh, I'll manage. The design like I said is pretty great, so yeah. Sceptile on the other hand....the hell? Amazing design, but as someone who doesn't care for doubles, Lightningrod is useless. I never use Sceptile, but that Grass/Dragon is mighty tempting, despite the weaknesses.

I'm totally in love with these megas. Sceptile has always been one of my favorite starters, and its mega does not disappoint. Swampert is so adorable in its own Mudkip-ish way, I like it.

As for the abilities? I try not to hold my breath for those anymore. If it's a decent ability, I'll take it. I mean, they could have gotten things that are a lot worse. The only issue I have here is that Blaziken gets a truly amazing ability (that little bird-brained -----), while Sceptile and Swampert get just all right abilities.

Then again, who knows. I'd need to play with them to see full potential.

Overall, I like these new megas. Give me hope for when they eventually give megas to some of my other favorites (Serperior and torterra. God, if they mess up Torterra...).

Wait could someone explain to me the synergy between Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk? I'm trying to follow with the post but I don't get it. Why not just have prankster Thunder Wave instead?

Wait could someone explain to me the synergy between Mega Sceptile and Heliolisk? I'm trying to follow with the post but I don't get it. Why not just have prankster Thunder Wave instead?

Electrify will change an opponent's move into Electric-type for the turn. Predicting an attack on MegaSpectile can turn potentially devastating damage into a Special Attack boost. Electrify doesn't have any sort of priority but then again Heliolisk is a pretty speedy Pokemon.

Discharge and Parabolic Charge will hit everyone giving MegaSceptile a boost. Sure it won't hit Ground-types but MegaSceptile can easily take care of that.

Prankster Thunder Wave works pretty well if all you want is the boost and just the boost.

Electrify will change an opponent's move into Electric-type for the turn. Predicting an attack on MegaSpectile can turn potentially devastating damage into a Special Attack boost. Electrify doesn't have any sort of priority but then again Heliolisk is a pretty speedy Pokemon.

Discharge and Parabolic Charge will hit everyone giving MegaSceptile a boost. Sure it won't hit Ground-types but MegaSceptile can easily take care of that.

Prankster Thunder Wave works pretty well if all you want is the boost and just the boost.

The first combination wouldn't work though because Lightning Rod would just redirect Electrify. :(

The first combination wouldn't work though because Lightning Rod would just redirect Electrify. :(

I'm pretty sure Lightning Rod only redirects opponents' attacks, not allies. I'm not positive, though. I'll look into it.

So the E3 trailer for ORAS just showed Mega Sceptile stands like Mawile/Mega Mawile, sorta facing backwards with its tail sticking out at the front (Guess that explains why the artwork is like that too). Mega Sceptile looks amazing in the game.

Mega Swampert looks sorta awkward just holding its arms like that. They should have made it put them on the ground like Swampert has them.

So the E3 trailer for ORAS just showed Mega Sceptile stands like Mawile/Mega Mawile, sorta facing backwards with its tail sticking out at the front (Guess that explains why the artwork is like that too). Mega Sceptile looks amazing in the game.

Mega Swampert looks sorta awkward just holding its arms like that. They should have made it put them on the ground like Swampert has them.

Agreed. I can't wait for these games to come out, so I can unleash my very own Mega Sceptile on my friend's(and my sister's as well) inevitable Mega Swampert. XD

Mega Sceptile is a perfect Pokemon for teams that lean on Water types. Not only does it resist Grass 4 times, it is immune to electric and can even raise its special attack from it. I'm guessing it will already have a huge boost to that stat anyway. Watch as people hesitate to send counters for your Water type.

Mega-Sceptile don't think you're worth dirt, so it ain't even gonna face ya.

I still find those red and orange seeds on its back distracting though.

http://i.********/vp/1402418291596.png

????????????????

It fires the tree part of its tail off?

Also Mega Sceptile continues the trend of the best Megas by facing away from the opponent in battle... Just like Mega Mawile :D

I'm pretty sure Lightning Rod only redirects opponents' attacks, not allies. I'm not positive, though. I'll look into it.

It redirects all electric type moves, both ally and opponent. Just as Storm Drain does (with water).

Thus that Electrify combination won't work. That's a shame really.

It redirects all electric type moves, both ally and opponent. Just as Storm Drain does (with water).

Thus that Electrify combination won't work. That's a shame really.

Oh. Yeah, that's unfortunate. I would have loved to do that.

I'm trying so hard to like Mega Swampert but I can't! It looks like an awkward bodybuilder version of the regular Swampert. Sceptile and Blaziken got such cool megas, why did Swampert have to get the short end of the stick? :(

http://i.********/vp/1402418291596.png

????????????????

It fires the tree part of its tail off?

Also Mega Sceptile continues the trend of the best Megas by facing away from the opponent in battle... Just like Mega Mawile :D
Pretty sure it'll get a new move called Harpoon Tail/Grass Harpoon.

Back
Top Bottom