• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Minor Complaint Thread

Not exactly a complaint, but a mere observation. People from Hoenn are just plain weird. And exceedingly hammy.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put on my Feral Dragon-Lady cosplay and listen to my "Bro Special No. 7" on my iPhone.

There should have been more Trainer Horde battles than just two. Maybe an Ace Trainer Horde or a Battle Girl Horde would have been nice.

Something I've noticed while dexnav chaining is that when pokemon start to have "special" moves, quite a few pokemon can have moves that cause the pokemon to KO itself. I've noticed this on zorua(memento), ralts(memento again), audino(healing wish), zangoose(final gambit),cottonee(memento AGAIN), and shellos(A memento beyond that).

I think the only thing I would change is to make the map slightly more detailed. I do the flag run twice a day and I find the long routes hella confusing.

Not enough of Archie's muscles
The contests really disappointed me. I thought that Game Freak might have combined the musicals and dress-up things for a much more fun experience, but nope. It was just "Use moves 5 times and pretend to be exciting".
ORAS really felt like more of a cut-and-paste with a couple of changes rather than an improved experience.

Now that I've been able to finally play my own game, I have a few misgivings:

~I was looking forward to that rival battle in Rustboro City, but it never happened...

~The new way to make catchy phrases in Dewford. X Attack festivals? Metagrossite collections? What?

~Brawly was pathetic. Not only were his levels simply two higher from Roxanne, his Pokemon were pathetically easy (especially with all the available flying types around and psychic moves). I don't know why they dworfed his levels down. Also bonus points to the fact that Machop is stronger than his signature Pokemon in every stat except HP (which even then is a slight advantage).

~Granite Cave exploration being limited was also saddening.

~Not being able to witness Mr. Briney actually sail the sea routes is annoyingly disappointing. And the fact that it gets even shorter from Dewford to Slateport!

~Not being able to buy Soda Pops in bulk from the Seashore House.

~The Contest Hall not issuing Contest Passes. Like, okay. Then who the hell do I get them from? Youngster Joey? How do you not give passes? How are people suppose to compete in your institution? So what, Lisia is the bringer of the Contest Experience? Does that mean Hoenn only has 100 Pokemon Contest Spectacular entrants, all courtesy of Lisia? I'm sorry, but the painful convenience of getting that pass from her was just ridiculous.

~Cosplay Pikachu. Now I have nothing wrong with receiving a free Pokemon, but now I finally understand what everyone is/was so upset about: the lady literally throws Pikachu at you and leaves. I mean, I could abuse, torture or straight out kill Pokemon for pleasure. I could simply exit the Contest Hall, take a few paces to the left, and chuck Pikachu's Poke Ball into the sea, never to be found again...The fact that she gives such a noteworthy Pokemon to a complete stranger because of my clothing...wow. I think that's GF's worse freebie execution yet. I mean, where's the story? Where's the background? She at least could have said "I've been following your exploits on BuzNav and I'm confident you can do more Pikachu than I ever could..." or some excuse like that. But WOW.

Anyway, I'm currently in Slateport winning Contests and learning about Lisia's backstory, so that's it from me for now.

The contests really disappointed me. I thought that Game Freak might have combined the musicals and dress-up things for a much more fun experience, but nope. It was just "Use moves 5 times and pretend to be exciting".
ORAS really felt like more of a cut-and-paste with a couple of changes rather than an improved experience.
Even worse? GF stripped one of the features out of them in ORAS. You only get a Ribbon for the Master Rank Contest. No other Rank gives you a Ribbon. You don't get one for completing the prior three. And worse? No Ribbon for having a picture displayed either!

To me, that's the biggest disappointment I have in the whole game. Back in the day, I put my Pokemon in the Contests simply to get them Ribbons. If they only earned a Normal Rank Ribbon in each Contest, I was satisfied. But now if you want that Ribbon, your Pokemon has to be in the Master Rank, no ifs, ands or buts. I admit it: the Ribbons were the biggest draw for me to even attempt to try the Contests and to have most of them taken out is utterly frustrating.

~Cosplay Pikachu. Now I have nothing wrong with receiving a free Pokemon, but now I finally understand what everyone is/was so upset about: the lady literally throws Pikachu at you and leaves. I mean, I could abuse, torture or straight out kill Pokemon for pleasure. I could simply exit the Contest Hall, take a few paces to the left, and chuck Pikachu's Poke Ball into the sea, never to be found again...The fact that she gives such a noteworthy Pokemon to a complete stranger because of my clothing...wow. I think that's GF's worse freebie execution yet. I mean, where's the story? Where's the background? She at least could have said "I've been following your exploits on BuzNav and I'm confident you can do more Pikachu than I ever could..." or some excuse like that. But WOW.
Yeah, that was a huge "Are you for real?!" moment for me. Just the execution on that one was bad. And worse, in most cases we know the poor creature is probably going to sit in a PC and rot until the end of time.

Me, I did use it in a Contest as a joke and beat Lisia in a Master Rank Cool Contest but it hasn't seen the light of day since.

I actually loved this. I never really cared for the musicals, or even the style of contests that were in DP. I was happy to get back the plain old contests from RSE.

I actually loved this. I never really cared for the musicals, or even the style of contests that were in DP. I was happy to get back the plain old contests from RSE.

Different folks, different strokes I guess.
It just honestly felt like a downgrade from the other games.

Back for more:

~The Wally battle in Mauville. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. Simply because it is a blatant curbstomp. I mean seriously. At this point in the game, you most likely have a team of 3-5 dedicated Mons, if not a full party of six, in their early 20s. And what is Wally packing? A sole Ralts. That he wants to go challenge Wattson with. Did he even do any research into what Wattson uses? I understand that at this point Wally is the epitome of novice and Ralts is his dearly beloved, but sheesh. I feel like GF should have at least given Wally half of his team by Mauville, in order to make his Gym challenge less ludicrous and our battle more fun. I mean heck, both Skitty and Roselia are Pokemon he could have caught along the way to Verdanturf. His team should have gone something like this:

Skitty Level 16
Roselia Level 16
Kirlia Level 20

It just felt so pitiful when my Combusken burned his Ralts alive with Fire Pledge. Poor thing never had a chance.

~Collecting soot in Route 113. They took a step back, making collecting soot all the more difficult. Before, all that you had to do was use Max Repels (together with latest auto re-use feature would have made this even easier), and simply run in and out of the route. Now there are only several piles that give you random amounts of 5 to 15 grams? What? My word, that is tedious. Good luck trying to get an Elegant Desk :p

~How did May/Brenden get past north of Mauville when she/he hasn't even won the badge yet for smashing rocks?

^Granted, how does any NPC trainer get to various areas when they clearly the lack various badges or means to be there while the game is so hellbent on making sure WE get the badges to get around anywhere.

I got an elegant desk :p

I was really bored and it was snowing outside and there wasn't much on TV so I did nothing but collect the pile of soot. I'd start outside the glass dude's house, run down to the pile on the left, across to the pile on the right and then back up to enter the house so the piles would regenerate. It took most of a film to get the desk lol. I didn't even use the desk for that long because it's massive!

The whole certain legendaries only appearing at specific times/days/whatever.

Who at GF thought this was a good idea? They could have just easily made all of them available at once during any time of day but no, they had to come up with these dumb ways of making them appear.

Now i want to soft reset for Terrakion, Raikou and Thundurus. Now i can only try on Saturdays and Tuesdays for Terrakion, i only get a 20 minute shot with Raikou evey hour and if i don't get the IV spread i want, i have to wait 40 minutes for another try.

Thundurus is the only with a non-bullshit method, i only need Castform in my party.

Last edited:
The whole certain legendaries only appearing at specific times/days/whatever.

Who at GF thought this was a good idea? They could have just easily made all of them available at once during any time of day but no, they had to come up with these dumb ways of making them appear.

Now i want to soft reset for Terrakion, Raikou and Thundurus. Now i can only try on Saturdays and Tuesdays for Terrakion, i only get a 20 minute shot with Raikou evey hour and if i don't get the IV spread i want, i have to wait 40 minutes for another try.

Thundurus is the only with a non-bullshit method, i only need Castform in my party.

I had to manually reset the clock just to get Regigigas because I can't play during afternoons ._. A huge bother - and I was growing berries and everything...

Now i want to soft reset for Terrakion, Raikou and Thundurus. Now i can only try on Saturdays and Tuesdays for Terrakion, i only get a 20 minute shot with Raikou evey hour and if i don't get the IV spread i want, i have to wait 40 minutes for another try. .

Actually, if you save your game after landing on the island/entering the cave, the same legendary will keep appearing after soft resetting, not matter what time it is. At least that's what happened with me when trying to catch Entei and Azelf. Not sure if it works the same for legendaries that appear on different days.

But I agree that it's not the best method, you still have to go to the islands at a certain time to meet the legendary for the first time. And I mostly hate it because you first have to look up how and when to meet them. It's more fun when they're simply in locations and you just stumble upon them.

Now i want to soft reset for Terrakion, Raikou and Thundurus. Now i can only try on Saturdays and Tuesdays for Terrakion, i only get a 20 minute shot with Raikou evey hour and if i don't get the IV spread i want, i have to wait 40 minutes for another try. .

Actually, if you save your game after landing on the island/entering the cave, the same legendary will keep appearing after soft resetting, not matter what time it is. At least that's what happened with me when trying to catch Entei and Azelf. Not sure if it works the same for legendaries that appear on different days.
Wait, really? Thank god. Just the thought of having to retry catching Raikou every 40 minutes if i didn't get the spread i want was making me scared. Thanks for the info.

A complaint I have is with Mega Evolution. It's said that a strong bond between you and the Pokemon is required to Mega Evolve, yet you can mega evolve any pokemon (that can) immediately after you get it. In my AS playthrough I purposefully played with my Aggron in Amie and waited until the champion to evolve it to make it feel like I actually had a bond strong enough to do so.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom