• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Minor Complaint Thread

I don't like how the game just hands you Lati@s on a silver platter barely halfway through, with the Mega Stone no less. It shouldn't even be necessary for you to own it to do the soaring thing. If anything it would have been cooler if after spending all that time flying together it would then allow you to battle and catch it later on in the game.

I'm just going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they just gave you Lati@s due to you having to catch all other legendaries that are in the game.

It's a way of letting you keep your ultra ball stash for Groudon/Kyogre as well as making sure you didn't accidentally K.O. them and miss out on the soaring feature.

I don't like how the game just hands you Lati@s on a silver platter barely halfway through, with the Mega Stone no less. It shouldn't even be necessary for you to own it to do the soaring thing. If anything it would have been cooler if after spending all that time flying together it would then allow you to battle and catch it later on in the game.

Also Liza and Tate keeping their pathetic R/S team. If they can drastically change up the E4, then why not give L&T something more akin to their Emerald team?

Agreed, when I got to that part, all I really cared about was getting the Mega Bracelet, nothing more. Did I REALLY need Latios/Latias THIS early in the game, because it would be more understandable if I got it during the climax of the game or something, not "Oh, you only have 5 gym badges and aren't anywhere near getting the massive titan on the cover of the game? Here's Latios, you're getting it NOW and you're going to like it!", because I feel like I'm getting spoiled too early. I mean, I like Latios/Latias, but I don't want it this early, just the Key Stone, that's all.

As for Tate and Liza, yeah, they could have done them a bit better than just the same boring sun and moon rocks like last time.

Agreed, when I got to that part, all I really cared about was getting the Mega Bracelet, nothing more. Did I REALLY need Latios/Latias THIS early in the game, because it would be more understandable if I got it during the climax of the game or something, not "Oh, you only have 5 gym badges and aren't anywhere near getting the massive titan on the cover of the game? Here's Latios, you're getting it NOW and you're going to like it!", because I feel like I'm getting spoiled too early. I mean, I like Latios/Latias, but I don't want it this early, just the Key Stone, that's all.

The whole event where you get your lati@s seems shoved into the plot. Steven and Latias/Latios randomly appear! They take you to Southern Island, where team Aqua/Magma just happen to be (Did they slip a tracking device on one of your Pokemon or something??) Lati@s wants to join your party becuase you beat some evil guys while teamed up with the regional champion! Yay?!

Speaking of the Eon twins, I feel that Hoenn is waaaaay to small while soaring. In Guardian Signs flying actually took some time. In ORAS the takeoff/landing animations are longer than the time you are actually flying. Putting beacons over legendary Pokemon spots takes away the exploration factor. Instead of looking for islands not on the map, your looking for floating glowy orbs.

The whole event where you get your lati@s seems shoved into the plot. Steven and Latias/Latios randomly appear! They take you to Southern Island, where team Aqua/Magma just happen to be (Did they slip a tracking device on one of your Pokemon or something??) Lati@s wants to join your party becuase you beat some evil guys while teamed up with the regional champion! Yay?!

Agreed, it just feels like it was shoehorned in there, like they couldn't just give you the Mega Bracelet then and there at Route 118 without shoehorning in Latios/Latias because it has a Mega. Oh, and the fact that Team Magma or Aqua just HAPPENS to be there for no apparent reason, since we need a conflict of some sorts put in just because.

... and then you leave when the event's over and nobody says another word about it.

Speaking of the Eon twins, I feel that Hoenn is waaaaay to small while soaring.

Yes. I hate that. I don't remember where I read this but apparently, Hoenn is bigger than Johto (which is pretty massive) and yet, it takes less time to fly over it than it does to walk through all of the Sevii Islands... It's honestly irritating. I did not spend five days walking through this region just to soar over it in 5 seconds... And then there's the fact that it's not even free world. I get it, to fully make Hoenn a free world would've been far too much time, money and effort than necessary, but at least let me see everything I'm soaring over in perfect detail and if I want to land in a certain spot on a route (I'm looking at you, Route 111, with your three areas but one landing point!) then let me land on that certain spot!

And can we talk about how the DexNav lets you see where there's Secret Bases and Trainer rematches, but you're not allowed to fly directly to these places or people? Not even your own secret base? Hmm... Seems very underwhelming to me...

I think the short time to fly around Hoenn is supposed to imply how fast mega lati@s is. Even before mega evolving, the pokedex entries mention how they can fly faster than a jet. For some reason though, it just doesn't give that feel. I'm not sure if its the animation style or what. It just feels like your going relatively slow but still crossing the entire region in less than a minute.

Another minor complaint...Brendan's too nice this time around. I get that pretty much since Unova, your rivals have been more like friends, but I was hoping Brendan would have still been at least a little condescending like he was in RSE. I like that they kept his line in the beginning thinking May would be a dude because she's a Gym Leader's kid, but one of my favorites was right after you beat Flannery when he says he'll go take on Norman and that, unlike May, Norman looks really tough. That was like, one of the best disses ever and it just suck that they got rid of it in favor of making Brendan more or less crushing on May and being super nice....not that I have a problem with that either, I just preferred the former. It just made his character more unique than Rival!May who was more of "the nice one".

Another minor complaint...Brendan's too nice this time around. I get that pretty much since Unova, your rivals have been more like friends, but I was hoping Brendan would have still been at least a little condescending like he was in RSE. I like that they kept his line in the beginning thinking May would be a dude because she's a Gym Leader's kid, but one of my favorites was right after you beat Flannery when he says he'll go take on Norman and that, unlike May, Norman looks really tough. That was like, one of the best disses ever and it just suck that they got rid of it in favor of making Brendan more or less crushing on May and being super nice....not that I have a problem with that either, I just preferred the former. It just made his character more unique than Rival!May who was more of "the nice one".

It looked pretty obvious that he has a crush on May (at least to me)

I finally received my copies of both games yesterday morning (three badges so far) and I'm positive for the most part, except:
1) What the heck did GameFreak do to Granite Cave? Why do I now need the Mach Bike just to catch an Aron and Sableye/Mawile?
2) Why are there no longer ribbons for Contests below Master Rank?

Huh. So that's how you get them, eh? I may have spoiled myself, but that kind of event doesn't really surprise me, especially since I knew that they would just join your party. As for why they are handed to you, for gameplay purposes, Game Freak probably doesn't want you to miss out on soaring due to accidentally KOing them.

From a story perspective, it doesn't make much sense at first. When you think about it though, what if Latias/Latios were interfering with Aqua's/Magma's plans to flood/dry out the entire world? That would be reason enough for the evil team to seek out one of the Eons. If you look at it this way, maybe the reason Latias/Latios joins your party is because they know your trying to stop Team Aqua/Magma as well, so they want to help you out!

From what I can gather, the event in question doesn't really seem to really tell you those things, but at least it makes sense in retrospect.

How limited is Itemfinder's use. Riding bike? NOPE. Sneaking on Pokémon? NOPE. Surfing? NOPE. Diving? NOPE. It's a miracle that I found Scanner so fast. And I still have to find more than half of the Plates...

They didn't fix Wondertrade. Really, how hard is it to tier wondertrade into a leveled tier? Lvl 1-15, 15-30, 30-45, etc. I hate putting up something like a spare lvl 30 something and getting a bleeding Wingull.

I know that this is a whole tengeant-worthy topic, and that there have been some, but really, it's such a simple fix. I don't particularily care about the lack of BF, but the fact that they've kept this feature an online crane game of suck stymies and angers me.

Let's see, they practically destroyed the Granite Cave in Dewford by making it Mach Bike required to explore things around, Brendan is too darn crushy on May, I mean I could do without the shipping guys, really, New Mauville is a bit tricky to get around, Rock Smash is an HM once more, Wattson's new Volt Switch strategy is pure torture for someone who didn't bother with Mudkip, Corphish's encounter rate with the Good Rod on Route 102 (I think) is way too low. Other than that, it's pretty great overall.

Hard to take Wallace seriously during the intense and dramatic climax of the story when he's dressed like that. As soon as the camera focused on him, I just...no.

And that characters don't move their mouths when they talk. I think that was what happened in XY, and it really creeps me out.

Personally, I think that the Magma/Aqua intros are tacky and are horribly animated.

Rock Smash is an HM again. Enough said.

I've been thinking for a while now (since Platinum came out), why couldn't they have replaced Rock Smash with Brick Break? Both names have to do with breaking stuff, most of the Pokémon that learn one of them can learn both, and Brick Break is actually useful as a move. Arguably, Rock Smash and Cut are the only HMs this gen that are worthless in battle.

Minor complaint #1 : Only Master-level contest ribbons. Still annoyed at this, as it feels like I haven't really "won" anything in the lower levels.

Minor complaint #2 : Rainy routes don't auto-water berries. :/ Maybe I'm mis-remembering and this was never a thing, but it's pretty vexing to inspect my berry plots, in the pouring rain, and get the "the soil is dry!" message!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom