• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Minor Complaint Thread

Lets hope that in about a year or two fans might see Delta Emerald on store shelves than disappointed that GF trademarked the title just for namesake.

If I remember right they also trademarked pokemon grey and that never happened since we got Black 2/White 2.

So yeah, people can assume and base theories off the trademarks but they're not necessarily a window into the future. It's about 50/50 on which ones will actually get made and which ones they just trademarked to stop the hacked/bootlegged games.

First of all, the Game Corner was banned in Europe in 2009 (or the game will have a PEGI rating of 12 or even 16, which is riduiculous for a Pokemon's game (specially if the cause is some minor content of the game)). Game Corner was in Japanese HGSS because it was a last minute decision of Nintendo Europe to remove the Game Corner (by then, HGSS was almost finished). To evade the situation again Gamefreak decided to create a new minigame (Voltorb Flip) that will be released in the international versions of HGSS.

If they just replaced it with an arcade with normal mini-games, even bring back Voltorb Flip, but they just didn't want to bother with it because Europe dislikes "gambling" in any form in a "kid's game", even if it was just simply arcade games like the ones you'd see at Chuck-E-Cheeses, which is basically what the Game Corner was like before the censors got paranoid. I just wish they didn't remove it, you can take out the slots, but you could have just changed the mini-games very easily to more "family-friendly" ones rather than just taking the Game Corner out entirely. Not complaining, just stating a point.

About customization, they haven't included it for some reason. I think there's a economic reason, but we don't know and we aren't likely to know. (Note that it's more easier creating 2 models than creating all the models).
These are remakes of games where Rock Smash was mandatory. It's understandable and expected that they are going to put the Rock Smash as a HM again for this game. Also, Rock Smash is actually better than Cut (who IIRC is optative in OR/AS) and can be deleted in the endgame.
It's also expected that Mart and Centers are separatewd again. Actually, I prefer being separated than being together.

They took out customization because of Junichi Masuda's weird habits because he stated this in an interview, and I quote:

Junichi Masuda said:
In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region, which featured this kind of motif of France and really focused on this beauty and fashion aspect, which is why it was a prominent feature in that game. For this game, we're focusing on adventuring elements, so we don't have the actual free customization of the trainer, but you'll see the items you use throughout the game visually represented; for example, when you're underwater, you'll have this little mouthpiece that lets you breathe. So there's some cool stuff for how your trainer changes clothes and puts on accessories throughout the game.

I'm not kidding, this is actually what he said about customization, which may be like Pokemon following you in HG/SS, a feature that so many wanted, everyone loved it, and it gets taken out the next game because he wants each region to have it's own features and not share any features with others. While I respect his opinion to make each region unique, I don't like having very popular features like customization and following Pokemon being taken out, and many others don't either. As for Marts and Centers being seperated again, I know the original had those, but given that the Pokemon centers back in Gen 3 had the multiplayer features, no longer needed because the PSS makes it more convenient if you're on the go like you're busy catching new Pokemon and don't want to bother running back to the Center to battle or trade with something, which here it just makes Pokemon centers just for healing and getting Pokemon out of the PC rather than having more to it like multiplayer, and later shops, which just feels like backwards development on GF's part

I agree with the Maison because it's actually lazy developing at the finest.

And about Cosplay Pikachu:
1) Pikachu is the mascot of the franchise; Raichu is not.

2)Pikachu(unlike the Megas) wasn't meant to be fought in competitive environment. Cosplay Pikachu was created to promote Contests.

3) In-game you can go to the Safari zone, use Thief/Covet (you can!) and obtain the Light Ball. Preferably with a Pokemon with the ability CompundEyes as the lead.

The Maison was definitely lazy development, but on the Cosplay Pikachu, I can only say that just because Pikachu is the franchise mascot does NOT mean that it has to be treated like it's the center of the universe and more important than all other Pokemon SIMPLY because it's the franchise mascot. Just because Raichu isn't the mascot like it's pre-evo is does NOT mean it has to be treated like it doesn't even exist at all, after all, isn't evolution one of the main traits about the franchise?

Also, Pikachu wasn't made for the competitive environment, doesn't that kill the entire point of the franchise, because last time I checked, Pikachu could learn a variety of Electric type moves, although I do think they could have promoted contests better than just creating a Pikachu with a bunch of gaudy looking costumes, which does just seem like they wanted to get people interested in contests, even though such a thing was never done in the original versions or in D/P/Pt's Super Contests, which were just an expanded version of the R/S/E versions.

Idk what everyone's gripe is with Cosplay Pikachu. It has 3 perfect IV's, I got a Modest one in my first try without any resetting (I didn't intend to get any specific nature, as I boxed mine anyways). Just slap a Light Ball on it and bam. It can easily be on your in-game team as a battler and Contest Star. Y'all gotta calm down. :)

You don't get a ribbon for beating the first three ranks? How do you know a Pokemon has beaten it then?

and I guess the contest halls are spread over 4 towns? it so that'll be my complaint, much less annoying in one place. (Lilicove)

Ranks unlock as the Pokemon beats it. Then, once you beat Master rank, you get the ribbon. There are multiple Contest halls. They are spread out, but they are all the same building, much like a Pokemart or a Pokemon Center. Basically, the Contest Hall of Sinnoh in multiple places.

So if you beat the first rank with a Pokemon, any other Pokemon can fight the second rank without beating the first rank first?

Idk what everyone's gripe is with Cosplay Pikachu. It has 3 perfect IV's, I got a Modest one in my first try without any resetting (I didn't intend to get any specific nature, as I boxed mine anyways). Just slap a Light Ball on it and bam. It can easily be on your in-game team as a battler and Contest Star. Y'all gotta calm down. :)

I agree with you on so many fronts. However, the main reason is this: it gets to change costumes while we're stuck in stock trainer models. It's a huge slap in the face to everyone that they'll never get said feature again. Also, it probably won't be able to be traded nor transferred to other games, meaning it'll just be stuck in whatever version it was originally obtained in. Just like Spiky-Eared Pichu. There's also the fact that its slots could have used to make room for more Mega Evolution instead.

Yeah, now you know.

This is really minor, but you can't change the color of the grass on Route 113 by running through it anymore. There was just something weirdly satisfying about doing that in the original games.

You don't get a ribbon for beating the first three ranks? How do you know a Pokemon has beaten it then?

and I guess the contest halls are spread over 4 towns? it so that'll be my complaint, much less annoying in one place. (Lilicove)

Ranks unlock as the Pokemon beats it. Then, once you beat Master rank, you get the ribbon. There are multiple Contest halls. They are spread out, but they are all the same building, much like a Pokemart or a Pokemon Center. Basically, the Contest Hall of Sinnoh in multiple places.

So if you beat the first rank with a Pokemon, any other Pokemon can fight the second rank without beating the first rank first?

I just tested it out. And am a bit shocked/slightly annoyed with the result NEW COMPLAINT!!!!

>Why are Pokemon able to enter higher rank contests without having faced the first ones? The Contests are fun because it is basically a job of competition. You can't just throw in a Pokemon into the higher rank contests without earning a victory in Normal or Great. I just entered the Hyper Rank Contest with my Kirlia, when it was my Swellow that unlocked it, AND has the Coolness experience. I may be losing terribly in the Hyper Contests with my Sinnoh team in Platinum at the moment, but its worth it because we are working hard to earn that next Ribbon in order to reach the Master rank. Well, maybe not working hard on it as I've been busy, and Omega Ruby, Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Pokemon X is filling in my free time, but nonetheless!!!!,

Pokemon Contests are not only a system of showing the appeal of Trainers and Pokemon working together, but a battle of its own to be the very best that no one ever was by being fabulous and cool, and earning your way up to that fabulousness and coolness!!!!

Therefore it is a little annoying to see the higher ranks freely open to any Pokemon without work.

One of my complaints is that the Sootopolis Gym puzzle has been nerfed from the originals.

The nerf came in two elements. First, eight dimensional movement now makes it possible to cross diagonal ice blocks. Second, the rocks that restricted your path in the RSE puzzle were replaced by three traversable mats in the final section.

I liked the original puzzle because it necessitated walking a certain path to complete it, one that required skill and determination to decipher. But the game developers simplified the entire puzzle to the point where it shouldn't even be considered a puzzle.

The contest thing would have made more sense if the ribbons were also awarded to the trainer, so then at least you know a different Pokemon qualifies by virtue of its trainer.

In general, contests were made easier. There is no longer a feed limit, rendering the first round pointless in non-NPC competition (and the NPC for some reason still have shit conditions in Master Rank). On the plus side, I like the back story given to Lisia and Chaz.

I just tested it out. And am a bit shocked/slightly annoyed with the result NEW COMPLAINT!!!!

>Why are Pokemon able to enter higher rank contests without having faced the first ones? The Contests are fun because it is basically a job of competition. You can't just throw in a Pokemon into the higher rank contests without earning a victory in Normal or Great. I just entered the Hyper Rank Contest with my Kirlia, when it was my Swellow that unlocked it, AND has the Coolness experience. I may be losing terribly in the Hyper Contests with my Sinnoh team in Platinum at the moment, but its worth it because we are working hard to earn that next Ribbon in order to reach the Master rank. Well, maybe not working hard on it as I've been busy, and Omega Ruby, Bravely Default, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Pokemon X is filling in my free time, but nonetheless!!!!,

Pokemon Contests are not only a system of showing the appeal of Trainers and Pokemon working together, but a battle of its own to be the very best that no one ever was by being fabulous and cool, and earning your way up to that fabulousness and coolness!!!!

Therefore it is a little annoying to see the higher ranks freely open to any Pokemon without work.

As someone who's played Contests in this game, they only unlock for the Pokemon who beat them and only in the category they won in.

2) They could have promoted contests in a far more effective way than wasting time and space with a few fugly pikachus that can't even evolve

I agree, but I think they were on the right track. I like how they gave a mascot an upgrade to promote contests. But I think they should have chosen a Pokemon that is really closely associated with contests in particular. And given it an upgrade that made it awesome at battling as well as contests.

2) They could have promoted contests in a far more effective way than wasting time and space with a few fugly pikachus that can't even evolve

I agree, but I think they were on the right track. I like how they gave a mascot an upgrade to promote contests. But I think they should have chosen a Pokemon that is really closely associated with contests in particular. And given it an upgrade that made it awesome at battling as well as contests.

THis isn't an upgrade, it's an insult. As someone said on the last page, it's an insult that we get a Pikachu who can change outfits while we can't.
Also, being Spiky-Eared-Pichu MKII doesn't do any favours.

You know, this is making the europe delay even worse. Because we get it a week later, we get to hear all the complaints a week in advance. I've actively started trying to convince people to cancel their orders now because of everything they've done wrong so far.

THis isn't an upgrade, it's an insult. As someone said on the last page, it's an insult that we get a Pikachu who can change outfits while we can't.

You know, this is making the europe delay even worse. Because we get it a week later, we get to hear all the complaints a week in advance. I've actively started trying to convince people to cancel their orders now because of everything they've done wrong so far.

It was just a reference to Mega-Milotic. :p

I completely agree. Maybe it's being received differently in Japan, but I can't think of anyone who's excited about dressing up a Pikachu. And I'm sure they didn't intend it like this, but it is kind of rubbing it in after taking out character customisation.

The inability to evolve it and the way it's shoved at us make us feel like we're being forced to play along with Gamefreak's cute mascot. The fact it's also a gimmick doesn't help. I'm definitely going to box it. Tempted to release it or wonder trade it.

You know how at the beginning of the game you're asked to fix the clock upstairs?

It's too bad you can't actually see the time on the wall clock after setting it. That thing is large enough an hour/minute hand should be plainly visible.

The contest thing would have made more sense if the ribbons were also awarded to the trainer, so then at least you know a different Pokemon qualifies by virtue of its trainer.

In general, contests were made easier. There is no longer a feed limit, rendering the first round pointless in non-NPC competition (and the NPC for some reason still have shit conditions in Master Rank). On the plus side, I like the back story given to Lisia and Chaz.

so you can just give 50 pokeblocks and win easy?

seems a waste of time then :\

can you do online contests at least?

Pre-evolution only moves are still a minor annoyance. I traded for a Lotad and just let him evolve when he was ready to and spent the next 20 levels wondering when he was going to learn a new Grass move after Absorb. Turns out only Lotad learns Mega Drain at Level 14. Lombre doesn't learn it at all, and Giga Drain is a tutor move. I switched him out for Cacnea until I found the Grass Knot TM in Fortree. IIRC Shroomish has the same deal, not getting Spore until later on, well after he evolves. Come on GF, I can't be researching all my buddies during my adventure.

The name filter is still ridiculous. I couldn't name my Taillow Penelope. Why, because pene? And I can't name my Spoink Baconator? Where's the curse in that?!

The name filter is still ridiculous. I couldn't name my Taillow Penelope. Why, because pene? And I can't name my Spoink Baconator? Where's the curse in that?!

I've been trying to figure this one out and I can't. All I can figure is that Baconator is a trademarked name, owned by Wendy's. Other than that, nator has a number of not kid friendly definitions on urban dictionary. Either way, its completely stupid.

I'm still annoyed by the fact that bulbasaur couldn't be traded on the Gen V GTS (I'm not sure if it is still an issue) because some how they got in there heads that "sau" is a swear word in Norwegian. I asked a friend of mine who is from Norway what the word means... It means sheep. There is literally no other meaning in Norwegian. She even asked her dad who is fluent in Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish and he'd never heard the word used to refer to anything other than actual sheep. I read somewhere that it was actually a Dutch insult, so I asked a Dutch person I know, and his response was "Isn't that Norwegian for Sheep?" You would think that if they are going to bother with a language filter, they would take the time to make it check the context, at least to some degree.

EDIT: I wanted to add, I don't see why so many people are annoyed by the teleportation thing. The only one forced on you (that I've seen so far at least) is the one with Wally to Mauville. The others I just said no to, and May was like "Alright, I'll be sticking around for a little bit if you change your mind." It's just an extra option for those who hate having to walk back and forth. Its not nearly as bad as the whole Emotion Trio railroad plot in Platinum. If you make the concious choice to use something, that was your choice. If you didn't like it, then select "no" the next time. Making the same choice over and over just so you can complain about it is rather silly.

Last edited:

Let's... not go too overboard.

It's annoying that they decided not to include character customisation and all, but I've been enjoying the game a lot, and I haven't even entered any contests yet, and haven't gotten the Cosplay Pikachu yet. It's still a really good game, even if you are stuck with the one character model, and they give you a Pikachu you don't happen to like... (friendly reminder: you don't have to play with it...)

Lets hope that in about a year or two fans might see Delta Emerald on store shelves than disappointed that GF trademarked the title just for namesake.

If I remember right they also trademarked pokemon grey and that never happened since we got Black 2/White 2.

So yeah, people can assume and base theories off the trademarks but they're not necessarily a window into the future. It's about 50/50 on which ones will actually get made and which ones they just trademarked to stop the hacked/bootlegged games.

Didn't hear about that, but I do remember in early 2000 seeing images of GB/A bootlegs on Google. Some are a poor mimicry and others that were difficult to discern from the original work.

Still a girl can dream...

Last edited:
*sneaks towards Pokemon*
*wild Pokemon encounter*

fuck
Yep, had that one happen a couple of times. Pretty much said the exact same thing too. =/
No progessing ribbons for contest ranks?

Wow. Just wow.
Someone tell me why Game Freak has intentionally dropped the ball in so many places?

Just one for when we reach and beat Master rank, and a special one if we beat all Master Contests with one Pokemon.
Okay now that sucks, as I liked getting newer ribbons as I climbed the Contest ladder. It meant something to me to see that the ribbons, although they were the same color, were progressively getting more and more ornate. That was huge; it was like the Contest Pokemon and I had achieved something when we got those ribbons and now that's gone.

So much for my Golurk looking like a five star general. At this rate, he might have the ribbons of a three star if he's lucky.... and that's because he was created at the wrong point in the franchise. =/
And yet, you go on the GTS and you will find Jirachi with nicknames that should outright break the swear filter--a good number of them are simply named F*** YOU or EBOLA N*****--and that's passable because "SPACE BETWEEN TWO WORDS".

Somebody needs to fix this, because it is getting way out of hand.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom