• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The "Minor League" Gyms?

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
At one point it was mentioned that there are 18 Gyms across Galar, with some being in the Major League and the others in the Minor League, which explains the version differences in the Gyms you fight. However, it was since clarified by GameFreak that there are in fact only 8 Gyms, and now that SwSh are out, lo and behold - there's no real reference to a Major League or Minor League in the games.

However, the badge icons for all 18 types can be seen in the end credits, Gym uniforms for all 18 types are purchasable in the boutiques, and judging by what the League Cards say about the rivalry between Melony & Gordie, both are in fact Gym Leaders in-universe, which is how we got that soccer rivalry style split between Circhester. So is it possible we could see the other 8 types return as Gyms in a third version or sequel that takes place in a different year?

In any case, here are some of my predictions about the Minor League (until proven otherwise by GameFreak):

-There are 10 Gyms total instead of the usual 8 (reflecting the 18 types of Pokemon).

-The Minor League badges are silver instead of gold.

-Instead of Stadiums, the Minor League Gyms are private buildings which function much more like traditional Gyms from other regions - and therefore, they can't use Dynamax. They still have Gym Missions & corresponding uniforms for their Leaders & Gym Trainers to wear though - the same ones you can buy in the uniform shops.

-Despite the fact that their facilities are not suited to it, some of the Gigantamax Pokémon we don't see used by any NPCs in-game are in fact the aces of the Minor League Gym Leaders. For example, a Snorlax that can Gigantamax is the Normal-type Leader's ace Pokémon, while the Psychic-type Leader owns a Gigantamax Orbeetle.

-There are a number of factors that determine whether or not a Gym Leader makes the Major League. The most important factor is their record in official ranked battles or off-season exhibition matches. Basically the officials want to make sure that the matches that people go to the Stadiums to watch are as "good" as possible. If a Gym Leader has the right kind of personality as well (i.e charismatic, would show devotion to any fanbase they might get) they also have a better chance of being offered a position at one of Galar's stadiums. And finally, seniority - judging by how much older the Gym Leaders seem to be on average compared to past Gens, I think that the Leaders who have been in the Galar League longer are first up to be promoted as long as they meet the other requirements.

-Spikemuth has been a Minor League Gym city for most of its existence and when they made the Major League Rose wanted to move them to a typical League Stadium but was met with heavy resistance by Piers and his supporters (his dialogue in game strongly alludes to this)

-Bea and Melony are the favorites in their hometowns from last year, but in this year’s League, the lineup has changed a bit. In Sword for example, Allister decided he was content with being in the Minor League due to his shyness & dislike of having to make public appearances, while Gordie has finally "made it" into the Major League by proving himself in battle.

-Trainers who get all 10 Minor League badges are eligible to enter the Champion’s Cup in Wyndon; however, because the Major League Gym Leaders are more well-known in Galar and tend to have more experience under their belts, the Gym Challengers who qualify by defeating the Minor League are generally seen more as the "Wild Cards" who are less likely to actually become Champion.

Last edited:
Some NPCs reference it:

The Gym Leaders of the Galar region are divided into the major and minor divisions based on how strong they are.

If a Gym Leader is too weak, their Gym will be relegated to the minor division.

Melony mentions to the player that she hopes one day after the player becomes champion that they'll fight Geordie.

It sounded more like a hint than a "please buy the second version after you finish this one, lol" type plug by the way it was worded.

Kabu's League Card also mentions that when he started out he had a losing streak that dropped him into the Minor League until a chance encounter with Leon restored his faith in himself and he fought his way back up in the Major League.

I would not be surprised if we get a second set of Galar focused games (be they Sw/Sh 2 or "Ultra" Sw/Sh) then we'd see some of the other Gyms with a handwave explanation of why they're there now.

I would not be surprised if we get a second set of Galar focused games (be they Sw/Sh 2 or "Ultra" Sw/Sh) then we'd see some of the other Gyms with a handwave explanation of why they're there now.

God I hope not. For one, I'm really, really hoping we get Sinnoh remakes in 2020, and secondly, with how well the lore surrounding Dynamax & Eternatus is already established, I feel like a third version/sequel would scream "cash grab" louder than USUM & LGPE combined.

I think exploring the minor division Leaders more through some DLC would be more than enough. It could make for some interesting DLC too, especially the seemingly inevitable "Hey I had the same record as you, but I missed the major division on a bunch of stupid tiebreakers!" moment between Melony & Gordie.

I was actually hoping they saved the minor league gyms for post game as something to help them “practice” making the major leagues by battling the champ.

If we don’t get a 3rd game with this minor league gyms then my best guess would be that the 18 gyms and minor/major is just a lore thing and not actually in the games.

It would be a first for Pokemon but rather than a third game, what about story DLC? They did it with Zelda so could be feasible.

If we don’t get a 3rd game with this minor league gyms then my best guess would be that the 18 gyms and minor/major is just a lore thing and not actually in the games.
That's what they actually meant when they mentioned the Minor League. It was GameXplain IIRC that took it out of proportion, to the point GF had to explain that you would only fight the traditional 8 Gyms.

That's what they actually meant when they mentioned the Minor League. It was GameXplain IIRC that took it out of proportion, to the point GF had to explain that you would only fight the traditional 8 Gyms.

It’s somewhat understandable why people would have got confused too as Pokemon has never been that Lore heavy so to mention that 18 gyms when there are only 8 playable in the games is somewhat misleading.

If only that had made all 8 gyms different in SW/SH then it would give a really good reason to get the game twice.

I can't believe they let a logo this good go to waste:

sporttopbugtype.jpg

I have to say, though, no Bug logo charms me as much as our Go (and now general type!) icon for it:
It's a triple visual play-mantis, beetle, or fly, depending on if you see the bottom part as arms, shell, or eyes!

The more I've been thinking about minor league gyms, the more I've realized how easy it would be to switch out the major gyms if we use the Fighting/Ghost and Ice/Rock gyms as guides.

Grass gym = Normal gym: The puzzle has you herding Wooloo. Not much needs to be changed.

Water gym = Poison gym: The falling water can be colored purple and represent torrents of poison or sludge. It makes sense why you cant simply walk through them like you could the water.

Fire gym = Bug gym: the main mechanic is catching Pokemon. But this time you can fight the other contestants of the bug catching contest so there can only be one victor!

Fairy gym = Psychic gym: the "mysterious" stat changes seem like they'd also work with psychic types. There's also a lot of overlap with Bede's team.

Dark gym = Steel gym: Spikemuth's town logo is a Klink. Why would a steel type be the logo of a town over run by dark trainers? Unless it's a disgraced steel town and the dark type hoodlums won out.

Dragon gym = Ground gym: This is a sort of pair the leftovers thing, but seriously with Raihan's love of Sandstorm he might as well be a ground trainer.

Alternatively:
Fairy gym = Steel gym: would really divide the magical mushroom fairy town if a gym that's strong against fairy won out. Maybe that explains the back room feel of the gym. It's not under construction, that's just the gym.

Dark gym = Psychic gym: Considering you run into a guy that trades you a Kantonian Mr. Mime makes you wonder why a bunch of people known for using Dark types would use a psychic type so randomly even if it was just to set a road block. Maybe the Psychic gang has something aganst Galar forms and are form purists on top of not being able to Dynamax.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom