• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The most inappropriately typed Pokemon

I really wish Luxray was Electric/Dark :C It would make it a lot more unique and give him better physical STAB. That and he looks like he should be.

Staraptor should've been Flying/Fighting because we don't really need any more Flying/Normal types and I think he has the attitude of a fighting type. Someone above me also mentioned that he would get STAB from Close Combat.

I don't mind the Gengar family as Poison types, but it would be nice if they got more poison moves.

Porygon should be Electric or Steel. Porygon-Z could pass for a Ghost type because of the other dimensions thing.

~deleted. Sorry, Didn't notice it posted twice.

Last edited:
I always thought Porygon should be a Psychic type, at least partially. I even catagorize it in my psychic box already. xD

Blastoise: Water/Steel. It has giant steel water cannons pointing out of it's shell. What more of a reason do you need?
That the type exist, as Steel didn't exist in gen 1, I know the Magnemite/ton thing, but those are actually made of metal.
Charizard: Fire/Dragon, no question.
It would be far to overpowered compared to the other starters of gen 1.
Gengar and it's ilk. Pure ghost is the most logical for these guys. They've never been able to learn poison moves except by TM, so it's kinda strange to have them typed as one.
Probably to balance them, as in gen 1 ghost are only weak to ghost.
Arbok and Muk should have been retyped Poison/Dark in Gen II
I disagree, don't see the Dark in them really, if they are to be Dark, why not just do the same thing whit Weezing and then Crobat should be Dark/Flying. I have always seen Poison and Dark both to represent the element of darkness.
Closter: Ice always seemed a weird type for a pokemon modeled after tropical animals. Water/Steel makes much more sense.
Again, Steel didn't exist in gen 1, but otherwise I agree.
Electivire and Magmortar: Should have been /Fighting types. They just seem very bulky and scrappy, and they learn several good fighting type moves. Admittedly, we probably don't need another Fire/Fighting, but Elevtic/Fighting would be unique.
I agree on Electwire, but not on Magmortar.
Porygon: A digital pokemon. Either Normal/Electric or Electric/Ghost if you want to pull a Rotom.
I think it should be Electric/Psychic or Normal/Psychic, don't know why but I have always seen it as a Psychic Pokemon.

I always felt that Ninetales should have been fire/psychic since it's based off of a kitsune.

I agree about Luxray, the first time I saw it I thought it was Electric/Dark, when I had played it I thought it was Dark then realized it was not.

Although Gyarados don't have a flying move we actually seen them fly in the anime (I know Anime>Games or whatever the symbol is to show they are both different)

Flygon, he should be part flying if the word fly is in his name! This has always confused me. Plus, when you look at all his evolutions he should be part bug as well. Plus, he's based off of a bug I believe so why wouldn't he be part bug as well? Flygon's typing just doesn't seem to fit him.

Beedrill should have been Bug/Flying or Poison/Flying
Venomoth should have been Poison/Flying
Psyduck/Golduck should have been Water/Psychic
Mawile should have been a Normal type.
Vibrava should have been Bug/Flying and Flygon Bug/Dragon
Lucario should have been pure Psychic/Dark (Aura)
Zoloark should have been Dark/Fighting

Im surprised nobody has mentioned Sudowoodo...
A rock typed tree has absolute 0 logic behind it.

Because it's a pun on pseudo (false/fake) with the term "wood" in it, and therefore means false/fake tree. A lot of fake things are made of rock.

I don't think any Pokemon are wrongly typed. I don't think Nintendo would give just any Pokemon any type. Think about it.

I think it makes sense that Gyarados is not a Dragon-type and why Girafarig is Normal/Psychic. There were no good Dragon moves in Generation I, and Normal types should be paired with types other than Flying once in a while (Bibarel is Normal/Water).

no

all that accomplishes is weakness to fighting

Whoever made the point about the Fisherman with Gyarados having Water/Dragon. That thing would be as broken as hell.

Flygon, he should be part flying if the word fly is in his name! This has always confused me. Plus, when you look at all his evolutions he should be part bug as well. Plus, he's based off of a bug I believe so why wouldn't he be part bug as well? Flygon's typing just doesn't seem to fit him.

Flygon is the spirit of the desert. Flygon is from the desert. The only insects I know of in the desert are dung beetles. Flygon is NOT a dung beetle. Flygon's wings sing upon taking flight. Dung Beetles do not.

That is why Flygon is ground/dragon. Makes sense to me.

Oh God I double posted, sorry about that.

Mawile's steel jaw pretty much makes it a Steel-type. But as a deceiver, why isn't it Dark-type!?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom