• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The most inappropriately typed Pokemon

Luxray; Really, GameFreak? Really? Just Electric? *Mutters angryly*

Noctowl; Learns just as many Psychic-type moves as Normal-type moves, why not make it Flying/Psychic.

Daikenki really should have been Water/Fighting, to highlight the samurai section of its interesting origins. I thought this was their pride and joy this Gen, but the pure Water thing and those stats say otherwise.

Daikenki really should have been Water/Fighting, to highlight the samurai section of its interesting origins. I thought this was their pride and joy this Gen, but the pure Water thing and those stats say otherwise.

Or Daikenki could be Water/Steel since samurai uses steel blades.

I always despise Mawile being a steel type. It should be a dark/ghost. It's origin said it's based on a Japanese ghost. Mawile being a deceiver pokemon, deceiving is associated as a bad act, so it's dark.

Why is Empoleon a steel type? If anything, Water/Fighting or maybe even Water/Flying (since it IS based on a bird)
I think Blastoise would be better for the Water/Steel typing, since it has metal cannons.

Last edited:
Why is Empoleon a steel type? If anything, Water/Fighting or maybe even Water/Flying (since it IS based on a bird)
I think Blastoise would be better for the Water/Steel typing, since it has metal cannons.

Steel is can be associated with crown, the trident on his head. Empoleon is made to have the appearance or vibe of a proud emperor penguin. Penguins are of birds family but they can't fly.

The B/W pokemon

Smugleaf line: Grass/Dragon
Chaoboo and Emboar: Fire/Dark
Minezumi and Miruhog: Ground/Psychic
Munna and Musharna: Psychic/Grass
Mamepeto line: either pure Flying or Ground/Flying
Shimama and Zeburaika: Dark/Electric
Doryuuzu: pure Ground
Otamaro line: either pure Dragon or Water/Dragon
Meguroco line: Ground/Dragon
Zuruggu and Zuruzukin: Dragon/Fighting
Shinbora: either Dark/Flying or Psychic/Dark
Purotoga and Abagoura: either pure Dragon or Dragon/Water
Aaken and Archeos: either pure Flying or Ground/Flying
Zoroark: Dark/Fighting
Chillarmy and Chillaccino: pure Ice
Gothimu line: Dark/Psychic
Yuniran line: Poison/Psychic
Shikijika and Mebukijika: pure Grass
Shibishirasu line: Electric/Water
Furiijio: Ice/Steel
Crimgan: Dragon/Flying
Gobitto and Goruggu: either Steel/Ghost or Rock/Ghost
Buffuron: pure Ground
Baruchai and Barujiina: Ground/Flying
Cobalon: pure Steel
Terrakion: pure Ground
Virizion: pure Grass
Keldeo: pure Water

Last edited:
Noctowl; Learns just as many Psychic-type moves as Normal-type moves, why not make it Flying/Psychic.
It would lose its immunity to Ghost-type then..

Psyduck should be Water-normal if it's really can't take being hit (weak against Fighting-type) and Golduck could easily be accepted as Water-Psychic.

Cloysters on the half shell, thus it's Water-ice. ;-) lol

I like Altaria, but why's it Dragon-type? Doesn't seem much like a phoenix.

Does anyone else think Spite should be a dark-type move? The idea of doing something Spiteful seems to fit better with the Dark-type than Ghost to me.

Psyduck isn't psychic? o_O

This always got to me. I understand that Psyduck's Japanese name is just "Koduck" ("little/young duck"), but if the game and anime and everything else are constantly referencing its psychic powers, they should have just made it part Psychic. Psyduck itself might have an excuse, since the reason it keeps getting headaches could be because it's not actually a psychic type and its mind just can't handle all the psychic energy, but Golduck has no excuse.

Also, Torkoal should be Fire/Rock since it burns coal inside its shell (as opposed to Numel, who burns magma and is part Ground). Apparently this is such an obvious choice that the trading card game mis-identified it twice as a fighting type (TCG version of rock/ground 'mons).

I'mmmmm gonna say Cradily, since it's some sort of prehistoric coral thing and therefore not even remotely similar to grass.

Luxray really should be part dark type, it would've gotten STAB for Crunch and Night Slash( plus one would assume he would have gotten more dark attacks to go with his typing, like pursuit since he's obviously a hunter). One of his abilities is Intimidate which just sounds Dark to me.

Also look at flint and volkners double battle team,
each one is a counter part to the others
Magmotar=Electivire
flareon=jolteon
houndoom=luxray

luxray was obviosly meant to be part dark but for some reason didnt get the typing in the end.

Meguroco should've been Water/Dark. Considering it's based off of a Mugger Crocodile the typing would've been absolutely perfect for it. Besides, did we ever have a Water/Dark typing before? I don't think so.

Meguroco should've been Water/Dark. Considering it's based off of a Mugger Crocodile the typing would've been absolutely perfect for it. Besides, did we ever have a Water/Dark typing before? I don't think so.

Sharpedo said hi.
Besides it is a DESERT CROCODILE. IT LIVES IN A DESERT. GET OVER IT.

Sharpedo said hi.
Besides it is a DESERT CROCODILE. IT LIVES IN A DESERT. GET OVER IT.

I totally forgot about Sharpedo, thanks. :)

Also, I know it's a Desert Crocodile, but the appearance and the secondary typing of Meguroco suggests that the inspiration for this Pokemon mostly came from the Mugger Crocodile, a real-life crocodile located in Asia. Heck, even its name and the names of its evos and their appearances are a nod to muggers in general and the Mugger Crocodile, not to mention that the Ground primary typing could come from how the Mugger Crocodile lives in marshes, and marshes are generally very muddy, and mud is associated with the Ground type in the Pokemon Universe.

Last edited:
Gochiruzeru (and maybe the whole line too) should have been Psychic/Dark. And not only for the Gothic style; stars are associated with the nighttime, thus Dark-type being the best choice for a second type. That's what I thought.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom