• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

The Most Memorable Moment/Experience from Your First Playthrough of a Pokemon Game

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
Hello everyone! With Pokemon Sword and Shield less than a month away, I have been thinking about what my first playthrough of the game will be like.

Pokemon games are always wonderful for multiple playthroughs, but there is always a sort of magic that comes with the very first one. It's the first time you're experiencing something, and it can produce some amazing memories, or sad ones, or even silly ones.

So, thinking back to your first playthrough of a Pokemon game, what memory sticks out the most of any particular title? Feel free to post multiple for one game, one for multiple games, or multiple for multiple games. These moments also don't have to be in the game per say, it's just a moment that's inspired by the game, or maybe something you were doing during your first playthrough.

I have a few, from different games.

Pokemon X
It was in the later game, and I had just beaten Lysandre. Now, the writer in me always likes to create little character headcanons, as they help make the games more interesting for me, though I make sure the headcanons do have hints leading to them and aren't completely random (most of the time at least). So, my personal headcanon for Lysander was who he meant by "beautiful people" when he said he wanted to destroy the not beautiful ones. I took that as him wanting to destroy the corruption in the world, but since so many people thought he was crazy, he knew sacrifices had to be made. In my own story headcanon, my character understood wanting to be rid of that corruption, but she thought Lysandre's plan was crazy. So after Lysandre's ultimate weapon exploded with Lysandre down inside, implying that he was buried under all the falling rubble, I wrote a poem using the voice of that character called "Ode' to a Dead Man". I had only just played through that part earlier in the day, and I was sitting at my theatre rehearsal just trying to pass time. Then, the idea came to my head, so I wrote that poem. I still have it somewhere actually, but I can't remember what notebook it's in.

Pokemon Omega Ruby
This next memory is definitely more of an experience that lasted (on and off of course) for around 9 months. It was release day, my boyfriend at the time and a mutual friend decided to plan a small party for release day. After picking up our copies of the game after school, we went back to my ex' house and started up our adventures. I caught a Ralts early own, knowing I wanted to use one and named her Sugar. When I proclaimed her name to my ex, he started making jokes about her really liking sugary sweets. This later evolved into an entire comic that we started planning of a Veteran Trainer being dragged by a Newbie and her snack stealing, hat thieving Ralts. So yeah, this playthrough inspired a comic that my ex and I planned a decent amount of. Whenever I think of my first playthrough of Omega Ruby, I think of this.

Pokemon Sun
This memory is actually in-game this time and is more of a moment. Pokemon Sun and Moon are some of my favorite Pokemon games to date, but out of all the most fun and memorable things from them. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of my first playthrough was sitting inside my Mom's car while we were at my sister's marching band competition (in the wait time before the band was going up), running around in Lush Jungle trying to catch a Passimian FOR AN HOUR! I'm not even kidding. I encountered 8 Comfey (who have the same encounter rate), during that time. That Passimian just did not want to show it's face. And then when it finally did it nearly took all of my Pokeballs to catch it! If I wasn't planning to use it and did not have a naming theme for that playthrough, I would have definitely given it some terrible name that represented how annoying it was to find.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu
Another one that was just a moment, but I always think about this when it comes to thinking about my first playthrough of this game (only playthrough actually). It was when I encountered a Shiny Butterfree in Viridian Forest. I had been playing around with the chain mechanic, but I only had it up to 10 or so so the shiny odds weren't up that much, if at all. But rare Pokemon showing u was up. So when I was running by, seeing a lot of Butterfree, I actually wasn't that shocked when a Shiny one ran past. In fact, I glanced at it, thinking that was just normal, to only realize that it wasn't. Then I ran into a couple of other Pokemon trying to get to it. I thought the shiny odds must have just been greatly increased for the game or something. It didn't really hit me that I encountered a Shiny till I actually caught it.

There we are, there's just a few examples of my memories from my first playthroughs of different Pokemon games. Let me know what memories you have, I would love to read about them!

Reaction score
Emerald was the least "smooth" run I had as it was my first, some memories from it:
-Two days after I started my run I decided to show my mom the game by starting her save file and I saved...All games I had played until them had at least two savefiles so I can't be blamed. I had to restart my run.
-That epic feeling when Kirlia evolved into Gardevoir while training.
-I didn't know what to do in Fallarbor Town and at that time I didn't know a lot of English so I had to translate a lot of NPC lines.
-My Marshtomp could have evolved in an epic way beating Norman but he fainted after reaching Lv 36. :cry:
-I wanted a Feebas, so after looking on the Internet that it could be found on Route 119 I surfed it from over a month, leveling up all my mons even the PC ones in the process.
-I used the Master Ball on Groudon after a very long battle.
-I killed Latios, Kyogre and Regirock and forgot to turn off :cry:
-I had to spam Revives at my final battle in the league so Wallace's Milotic would run out of Recover and I could have a chance to kill her. I started the league with 99 Revives and ended up with 30-36.
-A few months later, a friend bought Ruby and was stuck in Granite Cave. I had to help him via phone telling him where to go while I was playing my game.

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
Emerald was the least "smooth" run I had as it was my first, some memories from it:
-Two days after I started my run I decided to show my mom the game by starting her save file and I saved...All games I had played until them had at least two savefiles so I can't be blamed. I had to restart my run.
-That epic feeling when Kirlia evolved into Gardevoir while training.
-I didn't know what to do in Fallarbor Town and at that time I didn't know a lot of English so I had to translate a lot of NPC lines.
-My Marshtomp could have evolved in an epic way beating Norman but he fainted after reaching Lv 36. :cry:
-I wanted a Feebas, so after looking on the Internet that it could be found on Route 119 I surfed it from over a month, leveling up all my mons even the PC ones in the process.
-I used the Master Ball on Groudon after a very long battle.
-I killed Latios, Kyogre and Regirock and forgot to turn off :cry:
-I had to spam Revives at my final battle in the league so Wallace's Milotic would run out of Recover and I could have a chance to kill her. I started the league with 99 Revives and ended up with 30-36.
-A few months later, a friend bought Ruby and was stuck in Granite Cave. I had to help him via phone telling him where to go while I was playing my game.
Wow! That sounds like an experience. Oof yep, I never knew that pokemon games could only have one save file when I was a kid. My brother must have hated me with how many times I restarted his copy of Pokemon Yellow.

And that revive story is insane! That sounds like such a rough fight. Sounds like something I would do too lol.

All hail me!
Reaction score
This reminds me of my first ever run in pokemon red. My friend came all the way to my house just to get me the surf hm in the safari zone. Hated safari zone as a kid!

"Stop winning!" "Make me!"
Reaction score
Beating the ever loving crap out of the Kalos elite four with my Blaziken.

Reaction score
I've got two from my first play through, and a bit of a run up to how I got there. I got my first gameboy, and Pokemon Blue, Christmas Eve of third grade... so like, 1998 or 1999. I got to open one gift before Christmas day. I had wanted Pokemon for ages - in second grade, my Japanese friend had given me pokemon stickers (growlithe and pidgeotto) and shown me a bunch more. I came up with stories about how pokemon worked, and I was wrong about EVERYTHING! I assumed they talked, I thought Gengar was a hedgehog, I thought there'd be good and bad ones (like autobots vs decepticons) and I thought they were fighting over eggs to increase their ranks - which we in fact the pokeballs. So when I learned Pokemon was coming out as a thing in the US from an advertisement on back of a Nickelodeon magazine I got at a supermarket checkout while I was on vacation with my family, I was SO excited. But like I said, I didn't have a gameboy! So I bought the guidebooks. I got almost every one I found. I read them without having the game, and I drew all the Pokemon. The art was what got me. They looked so cool! So when my nanny (who was like a cross between a mother and an older sister to me, very important person in my life - she's passed away now, but I'm glad this question gave me the chance to unearth this memory) gave me a hint what to open, she had a big grin on her face. I opened the wrapping and had a FIELD day when I saw the Pokemon Blue box, and I was let to open the box with the gameboy. I had NO idea how to actually play it on a BASIC level. I couldn't figure out how to get out of the naming section, I played the whole thing with my name as "David;W." I knew everything that was supposed to happen in the game, and where all the pokemon were, but I made all sorts of missteps. I thought I'd somehow let the St. Anne leave the harbor too early and felt lost where to go. I spent AGES in Silph until I FINALLY found that ONE warp panel in the thin back hallway. And I remember hacking away at the Elite Four over and over, until the night I won. I was too distracted to go anywhere else, so I'd just parked myself on the stairs in the entryway in my house and pounded away with my Blastoise and Articuno until I'd won. Goddamn loved that game.

Thanks for asking. This was nice to remember.

Pokémon Expert
Reaction score
Traveling by Ship, from Johto to Kanto, in Pokémon Silver.
Also, first arriving at the Hoenn Battle Frontier, in Pokémon Emerald.

Last edited:
ᴡᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ
Reaction score
Pokemon Emerald is my pick, here.

my memory is fuzzy at best because it's been so many years since i've played it, but i will never forget trying over and over again attempting to beat Pike Queen Lucy and Dome Ace Tucker. it really is such a shame that Emerald's Battle Frontier is never replicated in subsequent games because i think those kinds of limitations are the most fun i've ever really had.

also, Battle Palace is super underrated and i wish something like it would make some sort of return in the future.

Happy Levimas
Reaction score
Its got to be finding my first Shiny. I legit didt know what was happening, it seemed like a glitch to me at the time, but I remember still being curious and catching the shiny, it didnt seem like I should run away or KO it.