• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The most overrated Pokemon

Reaction score
Like the title says, what do you think is the most overrated Pokemon in the current metagame? The ones that are being used everywhere, but god knows why. Personally, I think Aegislash is very overrated. I literally face it every 2 or 3 battles online, but I've never had any problem with it. It really has one effective set going for it and it's real easy to get around it. they also seem to get one shotted a lot when I face them. I don't know maybe it's my specific team. But with him getting so much usage I think he's become very predictable. He's a cool guy tho. Doesn't require much brain power to utilize him. So what do you guys think?

Dragonite. For me, it's most definitely Dragonite. I have a multitude of ways of taking a Dragonite out, whatever set it might be. One can break the Multiscale with indirect damage and ko it with a SE STAB, once can lock it into a setup move by either Encoring it or Tricking a Scarf onto it, one can burn it, one can Taunt it on the first turn...
That being said, it's not the notion of "overrated" we're talking about, it's the notion of "a common OU Pokemon I personally have no trouble against".
A Pokemon can be underrated, but I have problem imagining of an actual overrated Pokemon.

Both M-Charizard's. Both are beyond overrated. Both are also easy to beat.

Dunsparce
Just Kidding

Other than that

Charzard all forms

Both Charizard and its mega evolutions, seriously if I wanted a good fire type I'd go with Volcarona, Arcanine, or Ninetales.

I get the feeling you guys haven't been playing people who know how to use Charizard. :p

Goodra, Infernape, Cloyster, Donphan, Blissey.

I don't think there are many Pokemon that fit the definition of overrated. There's a difference between something being overused and overrated. A Pokemon being trendy will only get it so far before its flaws start to become apparent, so there aren't too many OU Pokemon I think fit the label.

That said, one Pokemon I think fits (or used to fit, going off what I said above) the definition is Galvantula. When Sticky Web was a new thing, it was really popular. I bred and used one myself and I couldn't believe how disappointed I was with its performance. Its biggest flaw is that has no staying power; to me the best entry hazard users are the ones who can find opportunities to force switches or have otherwise good defenses so you can guarantee you will be able to set and reset hazards as needed.

Smeargle and Shuckle have always been the superior Sticky Web users because of this, and others seem to have caught on since their usage has risen lately in comparison with Galvantula, which is now no longer OU. Being able to deal with most Defog users is nice, but to me its not enough of a niche to choose Galvantula over Smeargle (I don't have a ton of experience using Shuckle).

Last edited:
I get the feeling you guys haven't been playing people who know how to use Charizard. :p

...Why worry about M-Charizard when stealth rocks essentially ruins his day most of the time. Well except when he leads and even then there are plenty of trainers packing rock moves for Y and Earthquake for X.

Because:
1) Rapid Spin/Defog is a thing;
2) When Zard is sent out, there is usually no way to tell if it's going to be an XZard or a YZard. Therefore it's a coinflip as to whether you should go for a Rock move or for an EQ. Basically, Charizard is two different Pokemon with different counters hidden behind one mask (a powerful STAB Stone Edge might KO XZard, but a STAB Stone Edge is actually a rare thing: Stone Edge is generally a coverage move);
3) Mindgames regarding whether it will even be a lead;
4) XZard has variety, as it can go both physical and mixed;
5) Both MCharizards have near-perfect coverage.

Of course Zards can be checked and countered, but so can absolutely anything.

That being said, I still don't understand what exactly an "overrated" Pokemon should be.

Because:
1) Rapid Spin/Defog is a thing;
More overrated stuff
2) When Zard is sent out, there is usually no way to tell if it's going to be an XZard or a YZard. Therefore it's a coinflip as to whether you should go for a Rock move or for an EQ. Basically, Charizard is two different Pokemon with different counters hidden behind one mask (a powerful STAB Stone Edge might KO XZard, but a STAB Stone Edge is actually a rare thing: Stone Edge is generally a coverage move);
eh its about a 70-80% of it being Y and about 20-30% being X
3) Mindgames regarding whether it will even be a lead;
9 times out of 10 its the lead
4) XZard has variety, as it can go both physical and mixed;
both can do mixed tbh
5) Both MCharizards have near-perfect coverage.
both are easy to beat

That being said, I still don't understand what exactly an "overrated" Pokemon should be.

Pokemon that people enjoy using but aren't real good, like Skarmory, Blissey, or both M-Charizard. Except for Goodra GB hit most of the overated Pokemon.

Besides that if you're not sure about whether Charizard will mega evolve into X or Y, just use stone edge or rock slide on it as a safety measure.

1) How exactly is getting rid of entry hazards overrated?
4) No question here, X is just more well-suited to do so.
5) You do not rebut an argument by simply restating the point against which the argument is brought up. Both are easy to beat when people don't know what they're doing or when you have a surprise factor (e.g. you hit a YZard with a Power Gem from Mismagius)
2) and 3) We're having very different luck with opponents, apparently. I actually mostly see XZard which is not even a lead, but is supposed to be a mid-game sweeper. Even the usage stats on Showdown tell that it's 50% Y, 47% X, 3% non-Mega.
@Professor_Jared; it'll only KO an XZard if said Stone Edge/Rock Slide is STAB. And a smart player won't bring a Charizard against something that can hit hard with a STAB Stone Edge.

...Why worry about M-Charizard when stealth rocks essentially ruins his day most of the time. Well except when he leads and even then there are plenty of trainers packing rock moves for Y and Earthquake for X.

Again, you probably aren't playing very good players. Defog makes it exceedingly easy to clear Rocks, and predicting SE moves is so easy when you're using Charizard it's not funny. And besides, not many Pokémon can take a hit from a +1 MCharizardX, and those that can usually can't OHKO after Will-O-Wisp.

I don't think there are many Pokemon that fit the definition of overrated. There's a difference between something being overused and overrated. A Pokemon being trendy will only get it so far before its flaws start to become apparent, so there aren't too many OU Pokemon I think fit the label.

That said, one Pokemon I think fits (or used to fit, going off what I said above) the definition is Galvantula. When Sticky Web was a new thing, it was really popular. I bred and used one myself and I couldn't believe how disappointed I was with its performance. Its biggest flaw is that has no staying power; to me the best entry hazard users are the ones who can find opportunities to force switches or have otherwise good defenses so you can guarantee you will be able to set and reset hazards as needed.

Smeargle and Shuckle have always been the superior Sticky Web users because of this, and others seem to have caught on since their usage has risen lately in comparison with Galvantula, which is now no longer OU. Being able to deal with most Defog users is nice, but to me its not enough of a niche to choose Galvantula over Smeargle (I don't have a ton of experience using Shuckle).

Yes I think as a sticky web user, Galvantula is pretty outclassed. LO or specs is the way I go with him to just dish out dmg fast and compound eye thunder hurts a lot of things. Do people actually run sticky web on him nowadays?

There are 3 that I can think of, Charizard, Mewtwo, and Pikachu. Those are ones I think are Overrated.

Yes I think as a sticky web user, Galvantula is pretty outclassed. LO or specs is the way I go with him to just dish out dmg fast and compound eye thunder hurts a lot of things. Do people actually run sticky web on him nowadays?

If you run Galvantula you're either running Sticky Web or doing it wrong. Outside of Web he's completely outclassed by a multitude of other Electric types.

If you run Galvantula you're either running Sticky Web or doing it wrong. Outside of Web he's completely outclassed by a multitude of other Electric types.

Yeah I was going to say - Galvantula shouldn't be used without Sticky Web. That is its main draw. Although I will say that when I used Galvantula I was more impressed with its offensive capabilities than its ability to consistently set Sticky Web.

I find the term "overrated" to be one of the most misused in the English language. It has become a synonym for "don't like" or "don't care for" in many circles, instead of "not deserving the praise it gets" (a related, but completely different concept). Misuse of the term in this case isn't an issue, but it is still poorly defined. What exactly is the criteria we're using to define what or isn't overrated? TerraTF says it's Pokemon people like to use but otherwise aren't good. But many of the Pokemon listed in this thread are good Pokemon in a vacuum and perfectly usable, they just aren't particularly great in OU.

For example, Blissey and Infernape aren't bad Pokemon, they're just outclassed or aren't great by OU standards. In contrast, the Mega Charizards are great Pokemon in both OU and in general, but still can be easy to counter. Some seem to be calling overused/overly common Pokemon overrated. It just seems like everyone is using different criteria. That's the problem with topics like this. Case in point, go look at the "Overrated and Underrated Pokemon" thread in the Pokemon Video Games section; same problem, only at least they're not talking exclusively about competitive battling.

Last edited:
Greninja. It's more of a dislike than "lel dats overrated" though. It's like an overplayed song - the amount of times it's used just make me sick of seeing it in a team. That and the people who use it never have it sashed, resulting in an embarrassing failed attempt at trying to mess me up with Protean.

B for effort, good sir. Much love, signed~ my Bug Buzz Yanmega.

Greninja. It's more of a dislike than "lel dats overrated" though. It's like an overplayed song - the amount of times it's used just make me sick of seeing it in a team. That and the people who use it never have it sashed, resulting in an embarrassing failed attempt at trying to mess me up with Protean.

B for effort, good sir. Much love, signed~ my Bug Buzz Yanmega.

Sash is a waste of an item with Rocks and Spikes hanging around. I'd prefer to see a Greninja with Life Orb or Expert Belt.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom