• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The name of your PC

Virbank Video

Reaction score
Good afternoon good people of Bulbagarden!

This may seem like a very small, insignificant point to many but to me, the name of my character in the Pokemon games is a point of great importance.

To outline this, in my quest to obtain a 'living' National Pokedex (646 of 649 so far) I felt compelled to catch every Pokemon without trading with someone else because I couldn't face the idea of some Pokemon having a different name as their original trainer. A bit crazy, I know. In fact if I ever try to complete an entire National Dex from scratch again, I think I'll abandon that approach.

Aaaanyway... the reason I created this thread was to ask all of you out there - How do you pick your PC name? Is it simply your own, actual name? Do you, like me, use the same name for every Pokemon game? (Which resulted in some real stupid moments for me in BW2).

I am looking at Gen VI as almost a 'fresh start' for the Pokemon main series games. I'm considering - for the first time in about 10 years - using a different name for my PC. But how to choose?! How to choose...

I call it Usagi. Because that's my name.
Except it isn't. But it sounds better than my real name:B

I'm really really super boring. I always pick the actual name of the character, so Lyra in SS, Hilda in Black, Rosa in B2 etc etc. The only time I didn't was in the original Red. I went with Ash instead of Red. Equally boring.

I usually use my real first name, except in B2 where I used my email handle (first initial, middle name) thanks to Memory Link.

I always use my initials, CM, in Pokémon games. I haven't been able to use my full first name because it's 8 characters long, while the name space only ever has room for 7. When X and Y come out on the 3DS, I really hope there will be enough space for my name considering how much more the 3DS can hold.

I call it Usagi. Because that's my name.
Except it isn't. But it sounds better than my real name:B

You see, this is why I'm considering changing my characters name in XY. I use my commonly used nickname as my PC name (an abbreviation of my actual first name) but I think I want to try using something which sounds a bit more... 'Pokemon Trainer-esque' if that makes sense.

Mitch. It fits, its my nickname universally, and I couldn't bother with something creative. Not to mention my real name is 4 letters too long. XD

I use my real name for my PC. It's short, simple, and gets the job done.

My own name, every time. I have played as the female PC once or twice and then I just picked my aunt's name.

I always play as the male PC, and over the years have used some variant of my real name. But the past few games (I think Pt, BW and B2W2) I've used my real name, like I do here on BMGf and other forums. I'm very picky when it comes to usernames and in-game names, so it just made sense to stick with what works.

I can remember, however, using the name Sean and Landon on two different playthroughs of Sapphire like nine or ten years ago. Other than that I stick to my name.

I name the PC "Reila" or whatever other username I am using on internet forums... But most of the time it's Reila.

I'll probably name the PC differently in Pokémon XY, because I am planning to play as the male protagonist (I don't like the design of the female).

my real name.sometimes spelled in L337. Rarely (some roms just for trying other team members) I use Pasta, or P45T4.

All my Protagonists are called by faux names that either sound slightly feminine or slightly masculine, depending on the protagonist I choose.

since i always use the female character I use names that can be formed with the letters found in my name.

Romaji names* are ten times as cool as the original, so I always go with that. You can call me "Osuka"

*Romaji names are literally Japanese phonetic translations of regular names, e.g. "Ethan" becomes "Isan," "Lucas" becomes "Rukasu." Google Translate usually provides a good phonetic translation, unless your name is "Dawn" or another regular noun name...

Naming my character is very important to me. lol. I try to not use the same names more than once. They're usually real names or deal with some sort of mythology.
Some examples:

October (Black)
Djinn (White 2)
Neressa (Black 2)
Adeline (HG)
Amber (SS)
Rhiley
Regina
Seija
Druantia (FR)
Bridgett (LG)
Dante (Yellow)
Emily (Ruby)
etc. etc.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom