• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The National Pokedex removal thing had happened a generation prior, but no one seemed to complain.

No one complained about the lack of a national dex last gen because it didn't hinder the ability to transfer pokemon

few people actually care about the national dex itself. they want the pokemon they love to return. I don't understand how OP can misunderstand that.

"No one"? I have complained about the lack of National Dex in Generation VII ever since I discovered it was lacking (long before this Sword/Shield debacle).

It's as prog rocker says, not having the National Dex is annoying in of itself. Sure, every Pokemon can be transferred over to S/M/US/UM and that is way better than Sword/Shield (but we shouldn't be setting our standards there!) but for anyone who wants to actually strive for completing the Pokedex, there's no in-game system for that. The Pokemon outside of Alola's Pokedex are just awkwardly not registered anywhere. The strangest thing to me is the games even have that QR feature to get to "see" Pokemon from outside the regional Pokedex, but those Pokemon aren't registered anywhere. Whereas normally the games have a "seen" tally, there is no tallying of those Pokemon, even though the game lets you "see" them. To me, that was strange.

I'm not actually dedicated enough to complete the whole Pokedex, but before Sun I actually was trying to do it gradually as each generation passed, gathering a fuller Pokedex each generation. Sun completely threw a wrench in that, as trying to complete the Pokedex in it would just be something I would manually have to tally. Instead of having a little fun trying to do a bit more filling post-game, I just stopped playing Sun. I have never put down a Pokemon game as fast as I have Sun.

I still find it funny that I didn't see this coming. I thought "Yes, they're trying to push us to Pokemon Bank, they're trying to make completing a full Pokedex a matter of a subscription service", especially after people noted that Pokemon Bank apparently has a National Pokedex feature built in (or so I've heard). Even with that line of thinking, I didn't take it to this conclusion. Now that is exactly what they're doing. Just now, they've hit everyone's nerve by making non-regional Pokedex Pokemon unavailable in the games altogether. What they did in Generation VII was already crappy. I'm honestly surprised more people didn't complain. It was the final straw with Sun/Moon for me.

I just find it funny how Nintendo just continues to make their online service undesirable for me. A Pokemon game with a National Dex (as it was Gen VI and before) would have really tempted me to pay for the online, but here we are. Not only did they not fix the lack of National Dex, but they went a step further and made non-regional Pokedex Pokemon unavailable in the games at all. Why in the world would I even want to play Pokemon online now? So I can have my butt handed trying to do Pokemon matches online which inevitably match me with people who competitively train (which I don't)? Nope, that's no fun, at all.

I was saying "no one" more to mirror what the OP said lol

Paying for online services has always been iffy for me with video games. I'm used to the 3DS online being free (outside of apps like bank, but I can still trade/battle my friends for free), and I have yet to pay for Playstation online services.

There's still a lot of information that's yet to be revealed. We don't know the story yet. We don't know the villains yet. We don't know the rest of the gym leaders yet, or if any special activities like the Underground or Secret Bases would be available. Heck, they might be saving a brand new battle facility to get fans hyped up. Maybe that demo shown at the Treehouse is just an unpolished product that will eventually be fixed by the game's release. The champion was revealed super early; maybe he holds a secret. Maybe Galar will turn out to be a fun region to stay at.

But as of now, we have information that they had to cut pokemon because they wanted to focus on "quality over quantity." The "quality" shown up till now is underwhelming as of yet, unfortunately.

EDIT: Aaaand got new information. Version exclusive gyms sounds new :3 Hopefully there's more information.

Last edited:
One way of resolving the Pokémon Home prison problem would be to just not buy Pokémon Home. To preserve your Pokémon, just don't delete your Alolan save files. Your Incineroar would be safe in Alola and you could build a new team in Galar. But I agree that leaving out Pokémon from the code is just bad for business, especially when including the whole National Dex would only take a gigabyte and the Switch games can handle 32 GB.

One way of resolving the Pokémon Home prison problem would be to just not buy Pokémon Home. To preserve your Pokémon, just don't delete your Alolan save files. Your Incineroar would be safe in Alola and you could build a new team in Galar. But I agree that leaving out Pokémon from the code is just bad for business, especially when including the whole National Dex would only take a gigabyte and the Switch games can handle 32 GB.
It's a solution, sure, but it won't be one when the time inevitably comes that Bank shuts down and the avenue to bring pokemon to the newer games closes.

That's just giving them an Alolan "prison"

It's a solution, sure, but it won't be one when the time inevitably comes that Bank shuts down and the avenue to bring pokemon to the newer games closes.
Yeah. That's one of the bad implications of doing this, especially considering that certain breeding combinations will require using Pokemon in the 3DS games and transferring the resulting Pokemon up.

At least you can use them in battles whenever you want.

Well yeah, I'm just saying that it's not really that much of a solution because you're still not bringing them forward into newer games. You're just keeping them in a different box. Being able to take them out from time to time and battle with them at leisure is the only difference. (And how rewarding is that, in the long run? Most of the audience will move on to future games, so surely the Gen 7 metagame is eventually just going to be a relative handful of stragglers? Or maybe one isn't into PvP, in which case, cool, enjoy hanging out with all of your Pokémon at the Battle Tree and Battle Royal Dome until the end of time. And again, while I certainly am not immediately assured that the selection process for future games will have equity, at least with Home, the idea is that your Pokémon would eventually become relevant again in the contemporary battling scene of a later installment. So what's better - languishing forever in an ossifying tropical purgatory, or waiting on the bench for a rotation that may indeed be some years off, but will come sooner or later?)

To put it another way, Home is like planning to travel the world but not realistically being able to make every trip. Alola is an outright retirement plan.

Last edited:
enjoy hanging out with your Pokémon at the Battle Tree and Battle Royal Dome until the end of time.
Kind of an odd statement on a forum with very few competitive battlers.

but will come sooner or later?)
I don't think it makes sense to wait so long for something you could just reproduce by then. Who knows what the metagame will be like by then? Is it worth paying a fee for years? What if what you really want is to reuse your entire team but they're never together in the same game anymore?

Sure, Home has its benefits. But if you're against Dexit (I know this doesn't apply to you) and still plan to use Home for years, then congrats on just going with the flow.

Last edited:
Kind of an odd statement on a forum with very few competitive battlers.

Enjoy pummeling the Elite Four and wild Raticate until the sun turns red? :confused: Want to help me out here?

I don't think it makes sense to wait so long for something you could just reproduce by then. Who knows what the metagame will be like by then? Is it worth paying a fee for years? What if if you what you really want is to reuse your entire team but they're never together in the same game anymore?

I've never claimed that Home is a perfect solution - obviously it doesn't satisfy the needs of every player. For some people, like those who have a specific team that they'd like to keep together, then yeah, it might make more sense to keep them in an older game. But that's hardly a great solution either.

Enjoy pummeling the Elite Four and wild Raticate until the sun turns red? :confused: Want to help me out here?
Have a like for making me giggle. XD

I've never claimed that Home is a perfect solution - obviously it doesn't satisfy the needs of every player. For some people, like those who have a specific team that they'd like to keep together, then yeah, it might make more sense to keep them in an older game. But that's hardly a great solution either.
But ugh yeah, I don't think there's a good solution one way or another at this point. Hopefully this situation is something that they will consider fixing for future games after all of the backlash. I mean, I'm sure that they came to this decision for a good reason and that it wasn't something that they just opted for thinking no one would care that much, but... surely they'll at least think about the issue more now and not leave it at this policy change that they were going to go ahead with.

I mean, I'm sure that they came to this decision for a good reason and that it wasn't something that they just opted for thinking no one would care that much, but... surely they'll at least think about the issue more now and not leave it at this policy change that they were going to go ahead with.
We can only hope.

Well, some of you might transfer your Pokémon to your newer games. But I want to keep my Pokémon in my old games. When I feel like playing HeartGold, I want my Typhlosion there beside me. And besides, I have a DSi, which means I can't use Pal Park to transfer Pokémon from Gen III anyway unless I spend money on a DS Lite or the original DS. And the one-way transfer was always a no-deal for me. But even though I don't transfer Pokémon, I still don't like how they are cutting Pokémon from the game. They would have a better excuse if Sword and Shield was still on the 3DS, but they are on the Switch, which is more than capable of holding the data of all the Pokémon transferred from Alola. And with Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves and Alolan forms gone too, there's just no point in splitting the Pokédex in half. I get that Game Freak can be worried about when they get too many Pokémon to fit in a game, but maybe they should wait for that point since Nintendo would keep making new consoles with more storage.

Well, some of you might transfer your Pokémon to your newer games. But I want to keep my Pokémon in my old games. When I feel like playing HeartGold, I want my Typhlosion there beside me. And besides, I have a DSi, which means I can't use Pal Park to transfer Pokémon from Gen III anyway unless I spend money on a DS Lite or the original DS. And the one-way transfer was always a no-deal for me. But even though I don't transfer Pokémon, I still don't like how they are cutting Pokémon from the game. They would have a better excuse if Sword and Shield was still on the 3DS, but they are on the Switch, which is more than capable of holding the data of all the Pokémon transferred from Alola. And with Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves and Alolan forms gone too, there's just no point in splitting the Pokédex in half. I get that Game Freak can be worried about when they get too many Pokémon to fit in a game, but maybe they should wait for that point since Nintendo would keep making new consoles with more storage.
Alolan forms aren't confirmed yet, at least.

And not to defend Dexit because I still don't like it, but... the decision wasn't due to space, it was due to development time. Which makes sense and is reasonable, but a better solution at this stage would have been extending development to give more time to work on it, not... cutting pokemon out so they can keep with their ridiculously short schedule.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom