• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: The new DuckTales Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is anyone else here as excited about the upcoming DuckTales reboot as I am?

From what we've seen so far, yes some of the characters will be changing from their "original" iterations, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I'm actually liking what I'm seeing of adventurer Webby, and I definitely think that's an improvement over the original character.
At the same token, characters like Launchpad will remain the lovable, clumsy doofus that I loved from both DuckTales and Darkwing Duck.

The animation style is nice, and I quite enjoy the new opening theme and how they essentially remake the original theme.

I've got to say, though, that the biggest draw for me to this new series is that David Tennant is voicing Scrooge McDuck.

All in all, this seems to be shaping up to be a good series and will, hopefully, prove that reboots can be done right. I'm also potentially hopeful that, if this series is successful, we can also get a Darkwing Duck reboot. That would be AMAZING.

It looks like it's gonna be great.

I can't personally say much about any kinds of changes they're making from the original (since I never actually watched the original). But lots of people seem happy about whatever the change to Webby is, so that's a plus.
I'm really curious about where they're going with Beakley, given that she's the only character I really haven't seen anything from yet (since Disney decided to make her trailer unavailable in Australia for some reason). She seem's like she's got this sort of Badass Grandma thing going on which looks pretty cool.

One of the best things I can see that they're doing is making each triplet distinct. Since everything I've seen of them before has had them as pretty much interchangeable.

The artstyle looks great. I really like that semi-angular kinda look it's got going.

Honestly Cartoon Network should take reboot notes from Disney here. So far very few people who liked the original are actually complaining.

• Staff
One of the best things I can see that they're doing is making each triplet distinct. Since everything I've seen of them before has had them as pretty much interchangeable.
YES! This. In the original, they were fairly interchangeable to the point where all three were even voiced by the same person.
Seeing each with their own personalities and voices is going to be great.

As far as Beakley goes, she's probably going to be another change from the original, which isn't a bad thing, either.

I'm pretty excited for this. The art style and the personalities changes look cool. I don't have any ties to the first one. I do hope that we get a good amount of action in this show and that it isn't just a comedy, we have enough of those.

My biggest issue is how do I watch? I don't have thje channel so I have to pray that they put it on Netflix or Hulu like they did with Gravity Falls and Star Vs.

I'm excited. I love the original and I think the reboot will be good. It's still keeping with the spirit of the original cartoon, but they're adding new things here and there - like making Huey, Duey and Louie different from each other. I love David Tennant as Scrooge. He captures Scrooge so well.

The moment that hooked me in the trailer was when Scrooge was on the phone - I'm assuming with Donald - and he says "yeah, we have a pretty low-key day" as he's waiting to take the submarine under water.

I grew up on the original DuckTales, so unfortunately I have too much nostalgia to make a fair comparison....

The art style looks like cheap 2D computer animation these days. Sure, cartoons of the 90's were produced on the cheap too, but they were unmistakably hand-drawn (and by people who actually knew how to draw).

It's kind of nice they got David Tennant to voice Scrooge, but the other voice talents sound like so many voice actors I've heard everywhere else in modern cartoons.

As for the premise . . . this is ultimately what the new series will get remembered (or forgotten) for. If the writing's good, if it's genuinely (not just superficially) entertaining....

I was a fan of the original show when I was really little. I saw a few previews and the art style is really jarring, however I'm still willing to give it a go. I had completely forgotten Webby was even a character (let alone what her name was), and then when I remembered her I was like, "oh, her. Meh." I haven't seen anything of her new personality yet but I'm sure anything is an improvement over "meh" :p

• Staff
I was a fan of the original show when I was really little. I saw a few previews and the art style is really jarring, however I'm still willing to give it a go. I had completely forgotten Webby was even a character (let alone what her name was), and then when I remembered her I was like, "oh, her. Meh." I haven't seen anything of her new personality yet but I'm sure anything is an improvement over "meh" :p
I recommend watching this video:

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Wu0kqEN2iFk

I'm looking forward to it as well. :D

It's kind of nice they got David Tennant to voice Scrooge, but the other voice talents sound like so many voice actors I've heard everywhere else in modern cartoons.
The only voice actor that returns from the old series is that of Donald, in fact.

Man, I'm just getting more and more excited for this thing to finally premier later this month.
That 360 adventure was great though. Love how they went for that.
I've also noticed (well, people on the internet have noticed and I've made sure to watch out for it), that so far this show has been loving to sneak little tidbits into the newspapers you see around.

Something I'm interested to watch out for though is any sort of hint towards Darkwing Duck or just some kind of allusion to Mickey and/or Goofy. Classic!Ducktales was undeniably the same universe as DW, so it'll be cool to watch out for some any kind of hint to him, like maybe a newspaper in Launchpad's room or something if we ever see it. And of course Mickey, Donald, and Goofy is just the classic trio, and it'd be interesting to see if they just make some kind of reference to them. If we do happen to get any kind of reference to any of those characters it could be nice, sneaky foreshadowing to a future reboot of their cartoons as well, like Darkwing Duck or Goof Troop (Please Disney, I need mah Goof Troop!).

I really like it so far. I read somewhere that they would include more from Carl Barks' comics (which I'm a big fan of).

It's interesting that they gave the triplets their own personality, and as much as I like the original Webby, I think she's more interesting now. Another thing I like is that they choose to focus more on the adventure feeling? And the fact that Donald and Scrooge used to go on adventures together is cool (and just including him more in general)

The animation is really different from the original, and I was afraid that is was going to be sort of lazy? But in the end it wasn't, and I like it.

I love the intro so much

It was a really fun ride through the whole thing. I love how it actually focused more specifically on Scrooge and Dewey's relationship. It means we're probably getting more spotlight episodes around the specific relationships Scrooge has with each triplet,and even with Donald. And even though it focused so heavily on the two of them, it didn't really feel like anyone else fell to the wayside, and they all had their moments in the story. It also really made us want to come back for more with that ending.
This show is gonna do great, I can feel it.

Also, Disney has not lost their way with puns ("It's the Deus Ex Calibur!").

Regarding Lone's point about Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop, there were references to other Disney cities, including St. Canard, in the episode. That's exciting.
Yes! I caught those references. I actually totally fanboyed a bit when they mentioned Spoonerville. Disney has not forgotten that that show existed, and I'm super excited to see if any of these passing mentions actually ends up going anywhere.

I don't think I've ever seen Donald from the old Ducktales in the 90s. Then again, I haven't seen all the episodes back then. I'd like to give this new series a try just to see Donald interact with the others.

I don't think I've ever seen Donald from the old Ducktales in the 90s. Then again, I haven't seen all the episodes back then. I'd like to give this new series a try just to see Donald interact with the others.

Donald was only in a few episodes of the first series IIRC.

I'm not a big fan of the art style for the new one but I'll still give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom