• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

The new Gym in Vermillion City?

Reaction score
We see a new gym under construction in Vermillion City.

Do you think this Gym will be important in the future?

Reaction score
Dunno. It reminds me of how the Cerulean gym got renovated though; I'm wondering whether it's Surge's.

Always happy to help
Reaction score
Would be nice if it is Surges gym, maybe Ash or Go will battle him

Pretense
Reaction score
It's a Go-based gym. It would be very odd if it were just a new place for Lt. Surge.

I'm fully in favor of Ash "taking over" the gym alongside a team of trainers, who would protect it from other teams. Maybe those trainers from the Lugia episode will show up again.

I know that some fans are afraid of Go elements being too prevalent, but a standard badge quest would be so stale at this point. We know that Ash can defeat any gym leader out there; let's see him cooperate with other trainers for once.

Reaction score
I don't know. They need to explain what happened to Surge if they are gonna use a new gym and a new gym leader.

Reaction score
It's a Go-based gym. It would be very odd if it were just a new place for Lt. Surge.

I'm fully in favor of Ash "taking over" the gym alongside a team of trainers, who would protect it from other teams. Maybe those trainers from the Lugia episode will show up again.

I know that some fans are afraid of Go elements being too prevalent, but a standard badge quest would be so stale at this point. We know that Ash can defeat any gym leader out there; let's see him cooperate with other trainers for once.
Honestly I really hope that’s not the case and that it was just meant to be a reference. Go style gyms may work for what they are in the game but they don’t mesh well with the anime. If they must be something that pop up, I just hope that they function as a hub for trainers to battle one another rather than the prospect of teams and defending them from other teams.

Lovely
Reaction score
It does look like a Go gym. Maybe they'll revist the place for another Raid battle.

Reaction score
Why? Is there any precedent to base an opinion on?
The very style of Pokémon Go has that there are no traditional gyms and gang based teams and as a result, the gyms basically act as a territory to be held onto by one team and attempted to be taken by the other 2. They have no real functionality that would translate into the anime as their main basis is to give players an advantage by their team holding it. On top of that, they function absolutely nothing like how gyms in the rest of the franchise functions so to even call them gyms in the same world that has the Pokémon League gyms would only create confusion due to having identical terminology for things that have nothing to do with one another.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
The very style of Pokémon Go has that there are no traditional gyms and gang based teams and as a result, the gyms basically act as a territory to be held onto by one team and attempted to be taken by the other 2. They have no real functionality that would translate into the anime as their main basis is to give players an advantage by their team holding it. On top of that, they function absolutely nothing like how gyms in the rest of the franchise functions so to even call them gyms in the same world that has the Pokémon League gyms would only create confusion due to having identical terminology for things that have nothing to do with one another.
They would have to make the anime even more like GO in order to have GO-style Gyms, such as incorporating Team Valor, Team Mystic, and Team Instinct.

Reaction score
Yeah. It seems unlikely they will adapt the style of Pokemon Go gyms.

Still, it is possible they use this new Gym for something in the future. Maybe a new tournament for Ash.

怪しいことも何一つない。
Reaction score
Personally what I liked most about this was the reference to it being the area of unfinished construction from the original city in the games. In that vein, if its construction never got finished I wouldn't really mind...

Pretense
Reaction score
  1. Ash is going to be around Vermillion in almost every episode. How would he not have an incentive to maintain his status in the gym? It is not as if he would have to go out of his way for that.
  2. Semantics, really? They could change the term if they agree with you, but that non-traditional gym will exist either way.

Reaction score
  1. Ash is going to be around Vermillion in almost every episode. How would he not have an incentive to maintain his status in the gym? It is not as if he would have to go out of his way for that.
  2. Semantics, really? They could change the term if they agree with you, but that non-traditional gym will exist either way.
What purpose would bringing in the Pokémon Go style of gym serve for the series as a whole? In what way would there be any kind of incentive to having a team “own” the territory that the gym represents? In Pokémon Go, controlling a gym has a purpose. What would even be the point of something so arbitrary in the anime? There is nothing that the Pokémon Go gym system has to offer that the anime would benefit from other than creating further eye rolling moments as they try to force a square peg into a round hole.

Reaction score
I hope it's not a dumb GO gym. The entire concept behind those is freaking stupid.
It'd be a waste of time and repetitive as heck seeing Ash going to defend the gym, why would we care? He's gonna give it up when he eventually leaves Vermillion, it's not something he can take with him like the Orange Island/Alola champion titles

웃♥유
Reaction score
Eh, it might be a gym that Ash or Go will visit later on to give us a reintroduction to gym battles. Whether it'll be part of Ash or Go's gym battle quest is a different story though since I would think that Galar gyms would be the top priority, not Kanto gyms.

Reaction score
I hope it's not a dumb GO gym. The entire concept behind those is freaking stupid.
It'd be a waste of time and repetitive as heck seeing Ash going to defend the gym, why would we care? He's gonna give it up when he eventually leaves Vermillion, it's not something he can take with him like the Orange Island/Alola champion titles
Well, they can adapt the GO Gym different from the games.

I mean, Pokemon Leagues were never adapted as the Pokemon Leagues in the games.

Eh, it might be a gym that Ash or Go will visit later on to give us a reintroduction to gym battles. Whether it'll be part of Ash or Go's gym battle quest is a different story though since I would think that Galar gyms would be the top priority, not Kanto gyms.
We don't know if the season will have Galar Gyms.

It possible this new Gym in Vermillion is related to overarching plot in this season.

After all, this season focus on the 8 regions. So, if there is an overarching tounament, I think it will likely involve the 8 regions.

Reaction score
If they're introducing new gyms, I'd be happy if they were going to introduce some kind of international gym circuit. It could be an anime-exclusive league that requires you to earn a badge from each region (conveniently 8) to compete in the tournament. They could even just use the Galar gym leaders and champion from the games, similar to how the frontier brains from Hoenn were moved to Kanto in the anime to fit the story better. That's probably just a pipe dream, but I've been really curious what outlet Ash is going to have for battling in this series. All of the promotional material has gone on about how serious he is about battling, but this series is just looking like a series of field trips so far.

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
If it's supposed to be a Go gym, it's a weird way to establish something like that, considering how they destroyed Fushigi evolution grounds to build that gym.