• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Make Mega Blissey Fairy/Steel with Regenerate and 100 points in defense, reduce speed by 50 and add to SpD and watch the world burn.

Mega Blissey:
Fairy/Steel
Parental Bond
HP: 255
Attack: 1
Defense:191
S.Attack:1
S.Defense:191
Speed: 1

All you need is Seismic Toss.
"All you need is
seismictoss
(bun, dun da da da, da da da)
you just need to toss
toss
toss
all you need is seismictoss"

I probably just butchered that parody.

Game Freak had every opportunity to make the Blissey line part-Fairy when X and Y came out. Those Pokémon have design features and PokeDex entries that were compatible with Pokémon that eventually became Fairy-type.

It leads me to the hypothesis that Game Freak knows a Normal-Fairy Blissey would be too powerful. Removing its relatively common Fighting weakness for two less than common attack types (with only a few moves with 100+ BP) and getting that Dragon immunity make a big difference.

Game Freak had every opportunity to make the Blissey line part-Fairy when X and Y came out. Those Pokémon have design features and PokeDex entries that were compatible with Pokémon that eventually became Fairy-type.
As opposed to Audino? They may have just saved it for Mega Blissey.

It leads me to the hypothesis that Game Freak knows a Normal-Fairy Blissey would be too powerful.
They don't seem to have any problem with offensively overpowered Mega Evolutions. At least an overpowered defensive Mega Evolution would counter them.

It looks like some hackers at Smogon got the stats for the mega evolutions probably from the demo. Not sure how accurate these may be but comparing the stats for Sceptile, Swampert and Glalie they may just be true.

Sceptile: 110 atk, 75 def, 145 spatk, 85 spd, 145 spe. More or less matches up to the demo, I find the attack boost questionable but I'm glad Sceptile has huge special attack to give it some firepower.

Swampert: 150 atk, 110 def, 95 spatk, 110 spd, 70 spe. His muscles did not lie this thing is strong, great defenses and a minor speed boost to work with swift swim. Regardless it's not to be underestimated.

Glalie: 120 atk, 80 def, 120 spatk, 80 def, 100 spe. A bit underwhelming but Glalie's stats weren't impressive to start with. At least it's speed is good and its ability makes for a decent wall breaker.

Sound about right to you guys who played the demo? There are others but this post would take up a whole page if I were to talk about all of them but here are some others I found notable.

Slowbro: Most stats remain the same but Slowbro now has 180 def and 130 special attack. With calm mind and slack off shell armor doesn't seem so bad after all.

Beedrill: This is hilarious, most stats are the same but Beedrill loses 30 special attack to have 150 attack and 145 speed. I think I can hear Nicolas Cage crying somewhere.

Gallade: Gallade fans will be happy to know he won't be a stat swap of Mega Gardevoir. Gallade now has 165 atk, 95 def and 110 spe with all other stats being the same. So he's much faster than Gardevoir and now has physical bulk to take advantage of his good resists to fighting and rock.

Metagross: 145 atk, 150 def, 105 spa, 110 def, 110 spe. Great all round stats and high attack with tough claws will hurt. Looks like metagross is making a comeback tour. Facing this thing in the pokemon league will be trickier than mega gardevoir for sure.

Salamence: 145 atk, 130 def, 120 spatk, 90 spd, 120 spe. It really speaks for itself it's pretty broke. Bulky, fast, strong and with Aerialate backing it up it's going to be hell to face especially after a Dragon Dance. Plus unlike mega Pinsir it can go mixed and can tank a brave bird from Talonflame and roost off damage.

Last edited:
All those times people laughed at me for using Lucario, then XY came.
All those times people laughed at me for using Salamence, then ORAS came.
Then they ban the lot to Ubers T_T

What do you mean? Both those Pokémon are/were great without megas. Salamence was Uber in DPpt.

What do you mean? Both those Pokémon are/were great without megas. Salamence was Uber in DPpt.

True, but I only got into battling during gen V when they weren't that fabulous. They were ok, but these battles were up against friends where we all used hacked full legendary teams (so hardcore, ermergerd) and I'd just shove my Lucario on there. Most of us knew nothing about competitive battling except one guy who'd tell us not to use legendaries... when legendaries was all we had :D!

But I am glad Salamence is now a beast... come at me Rating battles!

Though out of all of them only Salamence and the weather trio look to be ban worthy. Most are pretty balanced, Metagross despite wonderful stats still has a lot of weaknesses, shallow movepool and lackluster stabs to rely on.

Here's some more notable ones imo

Altaria: 110 atk, 110 def, 110 spatk, 105 spd and 80 spe. All of it went into attack, defense and special attack. It's stats save for speed pretty even, I guess to compensate for the great typing and great ability it can actually use.

Steelix: 125 atk, 230 def, 55 spatk, 95 spdef, 30. Steelix has much more bite to it now with 125 atk and can survive moderately strong special attacks now. With sand force it will hit pretty hard, it's a bummer steel doesn't get the spd boost from sandstorm but it's better than having to put up with rock's weaknesses.

Lopunny: 136 atk, 94 def, 54 spatk, 96 spd, 135 spe. Everyone's favorite anthro poke bunny shows her action girl cred with pretty high attack, speed and surprisingly good defenses for an offensive pokemon.

Sableye: 85 atk 125 def, 85 spatk, 115 spd, 20 spe. While the offenses increased it's not enough to call it a tank, it's defenses are great and with access to recover and immunity to toxic and taunt from Magic Bounce it can be a formidable threat. Sure it's not mega mawile dangerous but then again few things are.

Primal Groudon: 180 atk, 160 def, 150 spatk, 90 spd, 90 spe. Groudon came back with a vengeance. It doesn't get faster and it's special def doesn't change but Desolate Land fixes it to an extent. I wasn't expecting special attack to go up as much as it did but now I can see mixed Groudons with rock polish using fire blasts and solar beams to great effect. Precipice Blades seems to have 120 bp and 85 accuracy and is a physical ground move with no other effects. I personally would stick with earthquake in singles but in doubles and triples it hits multiple opponents but leaves teammates alone which is nice.

Primal Kyogre: 150 atk, 90 def, 180 spatk, 160 spd, 90 spe. Kyogre is more or less the same but stronger. Not sure how much use its new attack is. Origin pulse is just Hydro Pump with 85 acc and hits multiple opponents in doubles/triples which is nice and worth using if you're not into Pump or Water Spout. I'll leave the primal reversion mechanics out of this because it's not 100% confirmed and somethings should be kept a surprise.

Mega Rayquaza: 180 atk, 100 def, 180 spatk, 100 spd, 115 spe. Mega Mewtwo has some stiff competition now. This is a fearsome mixed attacker with much higher speed than most things in Ubers especially after a Dragon Dance. Dragon Accent is a physical flying type move version of Close Combat. Now imagine a boosted up Rayquaza spamming that all day.

I see that even with the new Megas, Gallade still seems to be the overall favorite. Even though he's just barely ahead of Rayquaza =P

Last edited:
Well Gallade has a pretty slick design and is the brother of sorts to another fan favorite.

Now for the rest if you guys haven't already gone and looked

Mega Audino: 60 atk, 126 def, 80 spatk, 126 spd, 50 spe. Clearly this is meant to be used in doubles/triples. It can really take some punishment and with a calm mind possibly dish some out. Not the best but probably has some uses.

Mega Camerupt: 120 atk, 100 def, 145 spa, 105 spd, 20 spe. Definitely not the same frail camel it used to be. It's slower than molasses but it can take and dish out a strong hit. Omega Ruby players be prepared to face it, good thing it's slow and very weak to water.

Mega Sharpedo: 140 atk, 70 def, 110 spa, 65 spd, 105 spe. Surprisingly a lot went to its defenses but it's still frail. Still it has great mixed attacking stats and Crunch will be pretty strong thanks to stab and strong jaw. Alpha Sapphire players should prepare a fast counter to it when they face Archie.

Mega Diancie: 160 atk, 110 def, 160 spa, 110 spd, 110 spe. Technically the strongest fairy in the game bar fairy Arceus. Diance is going for a sweeper role now and its got what it needs to do it. Ready your steel types people.

Mega Pidgeot: 80 atk, 80 def, 135 spa, 80 spd, 121 spe. Clearly they want you to use Hurricane and possibly Heat Wave. Definitely a step up but it could use some more moves to take advantage of No Guard.

Also Hoopa is supposed to have an alternate form that is not a mega evolution it is psychic/dark with 80 hp, 160 atk, 60 def, 170 spa, 130 spd, 70 spe and has a move called Hyperspace Fury which is a special dark move with 100 base power, doesn't miss, goes through protect/detect but lowers defense by 1 stage. This form is accessed by an unknown key item similar to how Shaymin changes formes with its flower.

That's all Smogon has. Whether or not this means all the megas revealed so far are the only ones has yet to be confirmed. Personally I sure hope those aren't the only ones I want Mega Flygon, Milotic and Zoroark damn it.

Last edited:
Re: Will we get more Mega Evolutions in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire?

I'm hoping for Mega Flygon and possibly another Unova mega, preferably Zoroark.

I wonder how Illusion would work with Mega Evolution, like, if you Mega Evolve Zoroark then the disguise kinda fails immediatelly =P

^ Illusion may not be its ability and could be dropped upon mega evolving. Zoroark could be disguised as something that can mega evolve but when it does the act your opponent sees something like Venusaur mega evolving into Mega Zoroark which can take them by surprise. Another theory I heard is that Mega Zoroark could have a new ability that is like Illusion but it acts like a substitute and illusion's disguise is kept even when mega evolving which keeps it hidden and would have the novelty of being the only mega to not have the animation.

I think it would be best to just have the Illusion break when it Mega Evolves, like when it takes a hit. Illusion is an interesting ability, and definitely very good in the hands of a skilled player, but Zoroark would probably like something a bit better.

i really don't like the salamence spam on PS

Mega Gallade is amazing though. Looks awesome, stats awesome, viability awesome, movepool awesome
I hope for two things:
1. Smogon doesn't Uberfy it
2. Its shiny is like Gardevoir, so I can name him "The Dark Knight"

Mega Gallade is unlikely to be banned, it has it fair share of counters (Talonflame, Pinsir, Azumarill...) and has a harder time setting up and sweeping than Salamence. It also lacks good priority and suffers from only being able to use four moves.

^ And a pretty bad ability that sees little use except in doubles/triples. I had a feeling Gallade would get different stats than Gardevoir after all him being a stat swap was one of the things holding him back, his type is way better as an anti fighting type than a fighting type that happens to not be weak to psychic. Better be careful when facing Wally this time around.

Ah man would I love a Mega Zoroark that dropped Illusion! I'm not sure what ability would fit it, it may be dependent on the theme they choose for the theoretical Mega. (Like if it gains any new typings etc.)
(Or at least give Zorua and Zoroark a hidden ability please)

I really like Zoroark a lot and I want to be able to use Zoroark as Zoroark, not something else, haha!

This won't happen, but it would be awesome if M-Glalie's Explosion had an unique animation. Like a giant mushroom cloud to embody the power of 487 BP.

Well even if we don't get more megas for ORAS I'm sure more will occur in the future.

Back
Top Bottom