• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I also think Mega Wailord and Mega Torkoal can happen. Just a thought hehe.

Diversity in the metagame doesn't mean Pokemon from every generation. It means that you don't keep seeing the same few things over and over again.
That's a pretty narrow definition of diversity. I think that most people will agree that the metagame should represent Pokémon from all generations and that having a new mechanic be focused primarily on a single generation is, at the very least, awkward. It's rather like suggesting that the FRLG Move Tutors should have been mostly exclusive to Generation I Pokémon, which they weren't.

Diversity in the metagame doesn't mean Pokemon from every generation. It means that you don't keep seeing the same few things over and over again.
That's a pretty narrow definition of diversity. I think that most people will agree that the metagame should represent Pokémon from all generations and that having a new mechanic be focused primarily on a single generation is, at the very least, awkward. It's rather like suggesting that the FRLG Move Tutors should have been mostly exclusive to Generation I Pokémon, which they weren't.

It might be narrow, but when people talk about a diverse metagame they aren't talking about equal representation from generations. They mean diverse in regards to different Pokemon (not from generations, just seeing more ones that are used less in general), playstyles, move sets, etc.

But even if Hoenn Pokemon did receive most of the focus here (which I doubt, since my list is obviously not going to be the real deal), Z can add to the other generations. Gen V and VI still lack any and Gen IV would only have three. So I will admit Gen III receiving so many would be seen as unfair, yet at the same time it's hard to suggest Mega Pokemon in the regional Hoenn dex that aren't Gen III Pokemon, since they comprise the majority of it and there's lots that could use a the viability boost (like Mawile received). There are others, but I don't think they are as good candidates (guess that's my personal preference though). Off the top of my head, I suppose some like Girafarig, Xatu, Kingdra, Golem, Machamp, Crobat, Weezing, Tentacruel might make for replacements for my list. Gen IV, V and VI would still be far behind when it comes to Z.

Gooey could also work on Octillery. As is it's three abilities don't do much for it. Suction Cups just plain sucks, Sniper is wasted on such a slow Pokemon, and I don't know why anybody in their right mind would use Moody. It could potentially be great but it could also utterly wreck you. As for Protean, I wouldn't mind seeing Mega Flygon get it. If Game Freak finally made it Bug/Dragon, gave it Quiver Dance via Tutor, and Protean as an ability it could be a monster competitively. Tinted Lens or Heatproof would be acceptable abilities too.

Protean would be a pretty great ability for Octillery considering it's an octopus and it's diverse movepool.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see Avalugg get a Mega Evolution. It really needs one. It's not fair that no Kalos pokemon got Mega Evolutions.

Something like this:

Mega Avalugg
Item: Avaluggite
Ability: Filter
Type: Ice

HP: 95
Atk:137
Def: 204
Sp. Atk: 44
Sp. Def: 106
Speed: 28

BST: 614

It gets a 20 point increase in Attack and Defense while the remaining 60 points go to Special Defense.

Last edited:
I predict that Kalos Pokemon will be given Mega Evolutions in Pokemon Z/Y2/etc.

I don't think there'll even be any Mega Evolutions here beyond very particular cases (i.e. Groudon+Kyogre, Starters... if even that). They seem to me something that'll be added in bulk with generations considering they keep treating them like new pokémon... while if anything allowing a tiny space during the gen like Forms.

But I haven't been holding any high expectations of GameFreak at all for a while.

Granting them benefit of doubt though, ORAS obviously would be limited to the (new) Hoenn dex though.
Unova pokémon REALLY should get Mega Evolutions before Kalos pokémon, in any case.

Either way, for a wishlist?

Corsola. I still would preffer a proper evolution or something else, but I believe the best place to expand on this pokémon was Pacifidlog and that they REALLY missed their chance back in RS. Besides, we do need at least another "cutesy" Mega Evolution, and it fits with the whole "cute special Rock type" Corsola had going for it in the first place.
The catch is that it'd need at least an obscene >200BST stat boost. (But really though, I'd preffer something else for Corsola, like a form or an special item.)

Torkoal would be another interesting and great choice. A powerful defensive Fire type would be interesting now that they resist a key type like Fairy.

And for purely aesthetics/concept, Shiftry as a Tengu God thing. Actually, I'd really like to see how would Aerilate work on it without getting STAB. They seem very interesting abilities for expanded coverage, and the Flying-type 30% boost would be fitting for Shiftry.

Edit: Plusle and Minun were also on the trademarks back with the other Megas pre-release XY (along with Sceptile, Swampert, Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza). So I imagine it's likely that they will get Megas in these games. But I think they are a waste so I haven't included them :x

Personally, I think Plusle and Minun COULD be saved... The Megas need to be very creative with what they do (i.e. have a point beyond simply an stat increase, they must expand on a particular and unique mechanic) and give them a distinction as different pokémon beyond just recolored Pichus.
They definitely are two of the hardest pokémon to "fix" as it already were though.

Last edited:
I would love to see a Mega Plusle and Mega Minun, though it would be tricky how it plays out. Since they need to be used together as a rule of thumb, would one of them Mega Evolve and it would somehow affect the other, or could it be a special instance of "two" Mega Evolved Pokemon on the field at once?

Perhaps one would be more defensive (Minun) and the other more offensive (Plusle)?

I'd be down to see a flying bug of death.
127Pinsir-Mega.png

I'd rather want to see Mega Yanmega be Bug/Dragon or something. That x4 Stealth Rock weakness is nasty.

I'd like to see:
Mega Sceptile & Mega Swampert (almost a given)
Mega Masquerain (Bug/Water)
Mega Sableye
Mega Swalot
Mega Wailord
Mega Altaria (Dragon/Fairy) for AS and Mega Flygon for OR
Mega Milotic
Mega Chimeco
Mega Walrein
Mega Metagross

Altaria and Flygon are available in all three versions, and they aren't really counter parts. Flygon has two pre-evos, while Altaria has 1. In addition, Flygon is a ground/dragon, and Altaria is a Dragon/ Flying. but all I want to see is

Mega Sableye
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Camerupt
and
Mega Tropius.

Mega Dunsparce, make it happen people.

Mega Shiftery would be very cool,as he is my fav HM slave in that game.

Last edited:
Altaria and Flygon are available in all three versions, and they aren't really counter parts. Flygon has two pre-evos, while Altaria has 1. In addition, Flygon is a ground/dragon, and Altaria is a Dragon/ Flying. but all I want to see is

Mega Sableye
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Camerupt
and
Mega Tropius.
Mega Sableye with Prankster is going to crap all over Mega Banette

Back
Top Bottom