• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
When does that CoroCoro come out?

15th. We'll get leaks between 11th-13th.

But yeah, I agree this upcoming Corocoro will solidify whether there's anymore Megas at all. If there isn't one new Mega in it, then it's pretty obvious we have them all. Given the fact they've shown the champion's Mega, the rival's Mega, both ultimate antagonist's Megas and also Mega Rayquaza, it does seem likely there isn't anymore imo otherwise why show all those.

The 15th is on a Saturday so it will release earlier or at least that's what Wikipedia says. Wikipedia says it doesn't release on the 15th if it falls on a weekend. Is that accurate?

I only recall it being released earlier when the 15th falls on a Sunday, not a Saturday. But I'm no expert, so if we get it earlier then I'm all for it.

I thought about a Dragon/Fairy Dragonite with Pixilate, but then...
...poor Altaria :(

Well it would be a unique case, because the stone would be a held item. If given to Eevee and leveled up by one level, it evolves into Eon, the Normal type Eeveelution (hence the name Eonite for the stone) and when given to Eon, it becomes a Mega Stone. Then Eon could be based on a leopard and other big cats and have a signature ability called Spot Change (to reference the saying "a leopard never changes its spots") and whenever it uses a move of a given type, it changes form to the Eeveelution of that given type (using an Ice type move changes it to Glaceon, a Fire type into Flareon) and if a certain type doesn't have an Eeveelution (Dragon, Rock, Flying, etc.) it reverts back to Eon. It's basically an Eon-exclusive version of Protean. I saw a similar ability on a preview for an upcoming fan game and I think it could work extremely well for a Normal Eeveelution. Like Vee from Pokémon Adventures.

I like the idea to an extent, but agree it's a bit convoluted. Specifically, I'm pretty sure spot change won't be easy to implement from a combat designer's perspective. It will have to store a duplicate of every eeveelution as a form for Eon, since you can't just change a Pokemon's species mid-battle. Look at the pedia page for Transform, with its impressive list of glitches. It's certainly not impossible, just but it might be a headache for GF's QA department and unnecessarily complicated.

My proposition is this. Create an item called Eonite, that's basically an evolutionary stone that isn't consumed. Eevee evolves into Eon with this stone, as you suggested. Every eeveelution gets its own mega evolution (hopefully they can help poor Flareon) using the same mega stone: the Eonite. Possibly, give Mega-Eon Protean, or Eon Protean and Mega-Eon Adaptability or something. Or just treat Eon like a normal eeveelution: that would work too. :p

mega swampert and politoed are going to be the most op 1 turn partners ever

When does that CoroCoro come out?

15th. We'll get leaks between 11th-13th.

But yeah, I agree this upcoming Corocoro will solidify whether there's anymore Megas at all. If there isn't one new Mega in it, then it's pretty obvious we have them all. Given the fact they've shown the champion's Mega, the rival's Mega, both ultimate antagonist's Megas and also Mega Rayquaza, it does seem likely there isn't anymore imo otherwise why show all those.

I'm not a psychic, but I highly doubt they would reveal all the Megas before the games are released. There would be nothing to discover if that's the case.

XY did release a lot of Megas before they were released, and yet there were still many in the games for players to discover.

There are so many Pokemon from the 5th gen that should get a Mega, so I'm hoping for more. I feel like there will be even more Megas in the third game or sequel to XY.

While I think is possible we already know all megas beforehand, we can also think this is a remake so reveal the Champion's and Rival's megas is a how they are trying to show something new to the game. We already know these characthers after all (And this doesn't happen in a fresh new game like XY so they try to hide plot-relevant megas like Mega Gyarados and Mega Gardevoir).

Well it would be a unique case, because the stone would be a held item. If given to Eevee and leveled up by one level, it evolves into Eon, the Normal type Eeveelution (hence the name Eonite for the stone) and when given to Eon, it becomes a Mega Stone. Then Eon could be based on a leopard and other big cats and have a signature ability called Spot Change (to reference the saying "a leopard never changes its spots") and whenever it uses a move of a given type, it changes form to the Eeveelution of that given type (using an Ice type move changes it to Glaceon, a Fire type into Flareon) and if a certain type doesn't have an Eeveelution (Dragon, Rock, Flying, etc.) it reverts back to Eon. It's basically an Eon-exclusive version of Protean. I saw a similar ability on a preview for an upcoming fan game and I think it could work extremely well for a Normal Eeveelution. Like Vee from Pokémon Adventures.

I like the idea to an extent, but agree it's a bit convoluted. Specifically, I'm pretty sure spot change won't be easy to implement from a combat designer's perspective. It will have to store a duplicate of every eeveelution as a form for Eon, since you can't just change a Pokemon's species mid-battle. Look at the pedia page for Transform, with its impressive list of glitches. It's certainly not impossible, just but it might be a headache for GF's QA department and unnecessarily complicated.

My proposition is this. Create an item called Eonite, that's basically an evolutionary stone that isn't consumed. Eevee evolves into Eon with this stone, as you suggested. Every eeveelution gets its own mega evolution (hopefully they can help poor Flareon) using the same mega stone: the Eonite. Possibly, give Mega-Eon Protean, or Eon Protean and Mega-Eon Adaptability or something. Or just treat Eon like a normal eeveelution: that would work too. :p

A Mega Stone that evolves Eevee into the Normal-type Eon, and also Mega Evolves Eon as well as the other Eeveelutions? I like that. A lot.

Thought of an idea for Mega Wigglytuff that I quite like.

040.png

NormalIC_Big.png
FairyIC_Big.png

140 HP / 70 Atk / 45 Def / 125 Sp.Atk (+40) / 100 Sp.Def (+50) / 55 Speed (+10)
Pop* / Aftermath

Basically I imagine Mega Wigglytuff blowing up like a massive balloon (see
EP458_Wigglytuff_hinchado.png
except bigger and exaggerated), think Aunt Marge from Harry Potter but... more. It'll float, of course, and its body is just round with its hands and feet poking out in places. Its face would be scrunched up, straining because it's holding its breath! So its cheeks can be puffed up a bit too. Its colours could change to deeper purple + red, because its straining so much holding its breath. Maybe its curl on its head becomes more fancy and numerous too.

I honestly can't think of a better name than Pop at the moment, so it'll have to do. Anyway, Pop would basically be like Aftermath, in that a physical move would that faints it would deal damage, except instead of 25% (which seems kinda poor for a Mega), I'd make it deal Explosion damage calculated from its Attack stat when it's fainted by a physical move (or Selfdestruct if Explosion is considered too strong).

Stat-wise I just went with my initial thoughts, s no improvement to Attack or Defence. Attack because it's basically a giant balloon so can't move properly to use physical attacks, while no Defence because you want opponents to have to kill you with physical moves, not special (though maybe a slight buff here would help but I don't think it would make sense with the concept). So main focuses are on Sp.Atk + Sp.Def with small increase to Speed because it's now a little faster with it being a floating balloon and all.

It's a silly idea, but I'd love it. Wigglytuff is a silly Pokemon anyway.

I don't find it silly, but it should work like Selfdestruct and only be triggered by contact moves (like Aftermath). Contact and physical aren't actually synonymous.

So this thread pertains to future generations at this point? Because I doubt that there will be new abilities in this generation save for maybe a new spin on Zygarde.

Thought of an idea for Mega Wigglytuff that I quite like.

040.png

NormalIC_Big.png
FairyIC_Big.png

140 HP / 70 Atk / 45 Def / 125 Sp.Atk (+40) / 100 Sp.Def (+50) / 55 Speed (+10)
Pop* / Aftermath

Basically I imagine Mega Wigglytuff blowing up like a massive balloon (see
EP458_Wigglytuff_hinchado.png
except bigger and exaggerated), think Aunt Marge from Harry Potter but... more. It'll float, of course, and its body is just round with its hands and feet poking out in places. Its face would be scrunched up, straining because it's holding its breath! So its cheeks can be puffed up a bit too. Its colours could change to deeper purple + red, because its straining so much holding its breath. Maybe its curl on its head becomes more fancy and numerous too.

I honestly can't think of a better name than Pop at the moment, so it'll have to do. Anyway, Pop would basically be like Aftermath, in that a physical move would that faints it would deal damage, except instead of 25% (which seems kinda poor for a Mega), I'd make it deal Explosion damage calculated from its Attack stat when it's fainted by a physical move (or Selfdestruct if Explosion is considered too strong).

Stat-wise I just went with my initial thoughts, s no improvement to Attack or Defence. Attack because it's basically a giant balloon so can't move properly to use physical attacks, while no Defence because you want opponents to have to kill you with physical moves, not special (though maybe a slight buff here would help but I don't think it would make sense with the concept). So main focuses are on Sp.Atk + Sp.Def with small increase to Speed because it's now a little faster with it being a floating balloon and all.

Shouldn't its physical defense go up? I mean, have you ever punched a balloon? It just sorta...bops away. Then again, stabbing a balloon makes it go boom. Hmm...the majority of attacks don't involve sharp objects so I think it makes more sense for it to increase at least a bit.

I don't really like the idea anyway solely because it sounds too painful for Wigglytuff. Jigglypuff doesn't need to hold its breath in Smash when it uses Puff Up, it just sorta happens, so I don't know why Wigglytuff would need to. Also, there isn't really any physical change going on, it's just Wigglytuff expanding itself, an ability which it can use normally to some extent.

Shouldn't its physical defense go up? I mean, have you ever punched a balloon? It just sorta...bops away. Then again, stabbing a balloon makes it go boom. Hmm...the majority of attacks don't involve sharp objects so I think it makes more sense for it to increase at least a bit.

Ok, boost its Defence and make it worse in other areas then. The point is you want the opponent to only be able to kill by hitting its Defence and taking the Explosion/Selfdestruct damage, which means it needs the boosts in other areas more.

Also, there isn't really any physical change going on, it's just Wigglytuff expanding itself, an ability which it can use normally to some extent.

There would be other design changes with it obviously. But if this is the case, Mega Sharpedo is just Sharpedo then, because Sharpedo already has a strong jaw that can bite through steel and it basically gains a bunch of yellow marks all over it so there's not really any change (scarring at that). Ampharos gains a bit of fluff, Gardevoir only has a longer dress etc. I'd view it as more of a silly Mega design, similar to Mega Slowbro rather than some hardcore design change. Inflating yourself massively and holding your breath for ages to explode certainly sounds like an improvement a Mega could provide, given some of the things that happen with Megas.

Also about the pain, Mega Glalie breaks its jaw when it Mega Evolves, sooo... not seeing the problem with Wigglyuff holding its breath tbh.

Ok, boost its Defence and make it worse in other areas then. The point is you want the opponent to only be able to kill by hitting its Defence, which means it needs the boosts in other areas more.
I just find it weird that it doesn't go up at all. It would also help from a gameplay perspective. Making it go up even by 20 points would make a big difference percentage wise (I believe it is about a 35% increase uninvested), so I think it would be worth it to subtract a bit from special attack.

There would be other design changes with it obviously. But if this is the case, Mega Sharpedo is just Sharpedo then, because Sharpedo already has a strong jaw that can bite through steel and it basically gains a bunch of yellow marks all over it so there's not really any change (scarring at that). Ampharos gains a bit of fluff, Gardevoir only has a longer dress etc. I'd view it as more of a silly Mega design, similar to Mega Slowbro rather than some hardcore design change. Inflating yourself and holding your breath for ages certainly sounds like an improvement a Mega could provide, given some of the things that happen with Megas.

Also about the pain, Mega Glalie breaks its jaw when it Mega Evolves, sooo... not seeing the problem with Wigglyuff holding its breath tbh.
Well hey, for all I knew, you didn't intend for it to get any real design changes. You didn't outright say that. Edit: apparently you mentioned its curl changing, missed that part

The concept of infinitely holding your breath is more unsettling to me than breaking your jaw, but I suppose mega evolution could explain Mega Wigglytuff's whale-like ability to hold its breath for a long time. Didn't occur to me initially.

Making it go up even by 20 points would make a big difference percentage wise (I believe it is about a 35% increase uninvested), so I think it would be worth it to subtract a bit from special attack.
It should be 140 HP / 70 Atk / 65 Def (+20) / 115 Sp.Atk (+30) / 100 Sp.Def (+50) / 45 Speed. I don't see why it needs more Speed or how it would fit the design.

And give the poor thing Moonblast and Boomburst as should have happened in XY.

If a Mega Snorlax does happen, I can only see it getting fatter, not slimmer. It needs to regain its former glory as the heaviest Pokemon.

If a Mega Snorlax does happen, I can only see it getting fatter, not slimmer. It needs to regain its former glory as the heaviest Pokemon.

Keep in mind that Pokémon's target audience are children, some of whom are very impressionable. If they saw Mega Snorlax getting fatter, then they might end up trying to get fatter too. The only way I could see that happening without parents getting all up in a tizzy is if Mega Snorlax became a sumo wrestler...

Actually, I'd like it if Mega Snorlax became a sumo wrestler. Make it happen Game Freak!

yay more op megas from me
I feel like it would be really interesting *coughhorrifyingcough* if they took a 'Mon with a high attack stat (say, RAMPARDOS), lowered it down to around 100, gave it huge power, and then used the stats to buff eveything else.
That's a Rampardos with a 165 base stat gain ONLY in speed and bulk (and sp.atk, I guess). Basically, Rampy wins.

(I actually do want a rock/dragon mega rampardos with rock head that gains dragon dance (screw you in every way possible, tyrantrum!))

Back
Top Bottom