• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
info for mega sableye:

Sableye is a Dark- and Ghost-type Pokémon. Mega Sableye has concentrated all of the energy from Mega Evolution into the jewel which adorns its chest. Once Sableye has Mega-Evolved, this jewel will swell and become detached from its body.

Mega Sableye uses the jewel as a powerful defensive tool in battle. From behind the shelter of the jewel, it can readily exploit the opponent’s weaknesses and take advantage of any openings. It is said that the jewel hardens into such strength that no attack can even make a scratch!
PLS NOT BE WOUNDER GUARD!!!! , it ability

wynuaht? This generation is perfect to give sable wonder garud since its finally weak to something ( fairy) making fairy even more competively vaiable

I'd love to see Claydol, Altaria, Breloom, Camerupt, Sharpedo, Cacturne, and Torkoal get Mega Evos. Most of them are alright as is, but imagine what they could do with that boost.

A Mega Beautifly would be interesting to see.

What do you think is there a possibillity that the Eeveeloutions will get Megas?

Well, I'd rather get Butterfree instead of Beautifly, but that's neither here nor there.

Only one I could legitimately see getting a Mega is Eevee herself. We've all wanted a Normal-type Eeveelution. Chances are we'd never get it. Mega Eevee is the closest we'd ever get. And Mega Evolution was just introduced. It affects fully-evolved Pokémon, legendaries and stand-alone Pokémon. No one ever said unevolved Pokémon couldn't Mega Evolve. ;) So I'm hoping for Mega Pikachu and Mega Eevee (since they're the Yellow starters and all other starters are presumably getting Mega's)

At this point I don't see Mega Pikachu happening. A simple Mega Eevee would be interesting but I don't know if it will happen as well.
Mega Evolutions for Pokemon who can evolve through stones is something I don't expect to see, but let Game Freak surprise me.

Considering there will most likely be a Mega Gallade to compliment Mega Gardevoir, stone-based evolutions could probably Mega Evolve. And considering Pikachu is the mascot of the entire franchise, I highly doubt he'd be left out of the Mega train.

That picture is fake. Nintendo (and Game Freak) has never featured silhouettes of existing Pokemon on promotional artwork. If these Pokemon were to be used for promotional purposes (i.e. CoroCoro), why cover them up? The official English and Japanese websites have no problems using the pokemon's RSE pokemon concept art.

Again, I am confounded by the people who waste their time designing fake posters without even understanding Nintendo or Game Freak's advertising style.

No one ever said unevolved Pokémon couldn't Mega Evolve. ;)
Gurkinn did, in X and Y: "Indeed, Mega Evolution is a transformation of Pokemon that were thought to be unable to evolve any further!"

Well, to be fair, an unevolved Pokémon is thought to only evolve into its final form and not any further. That's like GameFreak saying no Kalos Pokémon would get Mega's in X and Y, but introducing Mega Diancie immediately after in ORAS. The subtleties of language are a powerful thing, and GameFreak have always been experts at manipulating it.

wynuaht? This generation is perfect to give sable wonder garud since its finally weak to something ( fairy) making fairy even more competively vaiable
let's be realistic here. sableye isn't getting wonder guard, and sableye shouldn't get wonder guard

okay, it has a weakness now. So let's make it immune to 17/18 types? Yeah, that totally wouldn't be broken as hell. Fairy types are low in number and fairy-type moves are not widely distributed, and most of the non-fairies that learn dazzling gleam would rather not use it.

Sableye also has access to taunt, and even if it didn't get a speed boost, max speed sableye can outspeed quite a few defensive pokemon that use status moves like toxic and will-o-wisp. It has access to magic coat too, which is also great at preventing status.

besides unown, I can't think of any fully evolved pokemon that wouldn't be broken with wonder guard...wonder guard sableye would be among the most broken, but even abomasnow would be op with it.

Edit: No, unown would probably be broken too. That's saying somefin.

Still really hoping for prankster. Normally I prefer when the megas have different abilities than their base forms, but seriously, prankster sableye is extremely fun.

Last edited:
If anything, they could go the Tynamo-line route and make it immune to its only weakness in Fairy, still making it a bit of a pain to take down. But Wonder Guard, as cool as that would be, I couldn't see that, logically, being a good idea that any sensible person would ever implement.

Plus, I want Prankster.

I think Torkoal could really gain from a Mega Evolution. For example, maybe its ability could be changed to something like Competitive, then have its base stat total changed to beef up its special attack and special defence? So from this:
70/85/140/85/70/20
To something like:
90/85/150/105/130/20

Also, if we do see Mega Evolutions of non-legendary, non-Hoenn Pokédex Pokémon, then I'd like to see Heatmor get one. Maybe an ability change to Solar Power and then a base stat upgrade from:
85/97/66/105/66/65
To:
85/127/86/135/86/90

If GameFreak do plan on giving every starter Pokémon a Mega Evolution in this generation,
I am not at all sure that's the plan. They might prefer to make the most of the starters by introducing them in installments.
That is of course, entirely possible. After all, not every starter had their Hidden Ability released in Generation V (and the Gen II and V starters still haven't had theirs released anywhere in the world.

Maybe the Johto starters we could hypothetically still get from Birch have their Hidden Ability AND Mega Stones? Boom - 2 birds with one stone.

I think Torkoal could really gain from a Mega Evolution. For example, maybe its ability could be changed to something like Competitive, then have its base stat total changed to beef up its special attack and special defence? So from this:
70/85/140/85/70/20
To something like:
90/85/150/105/130/20

Also, if we do see Mega Evolutions of non-legendary, non-Hoenn Pokédex Pokémon, then I'd like to see Heatmor get one. Maybe an ability change to Solar Power and then a base stat upgrade from:
85/97/66/105/66/65
To:
85/127/86/135/86/90

While I do agree those two deserve Megas, I don't think those abilities would be the best for them. Solar Power Heatmor would have to compete with Solar Power Mega Houndoom which would be a lot better with the higher Speed, Nasty Plot, Destiny Bond and a good secondary STAB (also STAB priority with Sucker Punch is useful too). I thought of a few for Heatmor a while back (Tough Claws, Sheer Force, Bulletproof, Contrary) to name a few, but in the end I thought Bulletproof would be the best option with Heatmor becoming Fire/Steel due to the mechanical influences in its design. It would be immune to Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Shadow Ball (a few others too, but those would be the ones that matter most - some like Seed Bomb, Sludge Bomb and Gyro Ball it would already resist massively if it was Fire/Steel but immunities are always great) which would be really handy.

Competitive Torkoal would be interesting Doubles, but I don't think it would be enough to make it useful. My idea was Torkoal receiving an ability that makes it immune to Water - similar to Volcanion I guess (though I did forget Water Absorb Volcanion existed when I thought about that initially). Storm Drain or Water Absorb would be cool, though I guess that they could always introduce a new ability for it, like with Pinsir, if they wanted to. If they are aiming more towards Doubles when creating these, then Storm Drain would be the best for it.

Oh and you also increased Torkoal's HP when Megas don't receive HP increases sadly :(

Thinking along similar lines to Joshawott, I wonder if the Castform you're given at the Weather Institute will be given holding the Mega Stone for it? Not sure if I'd like a Mega Castform to be honest, though.
Aw, come on, Mega Castform would be brilliant! That'd be like four mega forms in one stone - Fire Castform mega-evolves into a fire-type with Drought, Water Castform mega-evolves into a water-type with Drizzle, Ice Castform mega-evolves into an ice-type with Snow Warning and Normal Castform mega-evolves into a normal-type with Cloud Nine. What a little badass!

Spr_3e_227.gif

Steel/Flying
Heatproof
65 HP / 120 Atk (+40) / 180 Def (+40) / 40 Sp.Atk / 100 Sp.Def (+30) / 60 Speed (-10)

Heatproof Mega Skarmory. Bulkier and more offensive; never understood why it had such a mediocre Attack when it looks like it could - and would - be very vicious. Loses some speed due to Heatproof. :D

70/85/140/85/70/20
To something like:
90/85/150/105/130/20

85/97/66/105/66/65
To:
85/127/86/135/86/90

While I do agree those two deserve Megas, I don't think those abilities would be the best for them. Solar Power Heatmor would have to compete with Solar Power Mega Houndoom which would be a lot better with the higher Speed, Nasty Plot, Destiny Bond and a good secondary STAB (also STAB priority with Sucker Punch is useful too). I thought of a few for Heatmor a while back (Tough Claws, Sheer Force, Bulletproof, Contrary) to name a few, but in the end I thought Bulletproof would be the best option with Heatmor becoming Fire/Steel due to the mechanical influences in its design. It would be immune to Focus Blast, Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Shadow Ball (a few others too, but those would be the ones that matter most - some like Seed Bomb, Sludge Bomb and Gyro Ball it would already resist massively if it was Fire/Steel but immunities are always great) which would be really handy.

Competitive Torkoal would be interesting Doubles, but I don't think it would be enough to make it useful. My idea was Torkoal receiving an ability that makes it immune to Water - similar to Volcanion I guess (though I did forget Water Absorb Volcanion existed when I thought about that initially). Storm Drain or Water Absorb would be cool, though I guess that they could always introduce a new ability for it, like with Pinsir, if they wanted to. If they are aiming more towards Doubles when creating these, then Storm Drain would be the best for it.
That is true with Mega Houndoom. As Heatmor's attack stat is only 8 points behind its special attack, maybe if it was given a physical focus? (Especially if as you suggest, it gains the Steel-typing). In that instance, something like Tough Claws would be ideal - although that make it be seen as an inferior Mega Charizard X. I like the idea of Sheer Force, as it would compliment both possible physical and special paths, as well as a large portion of Heatmor's movepool.

In regards to Torkoal, the idea of Competitive came from it being comparable to a power boost to its White Smoke ability (although of course, Competitive doesn't negate the original stat drop). Something that helps buff up its defensive capabilities would be cool too.

Oh and you also increased Torkoal's HP when Megas don't receive HP increases sadly :(
Torkoal will be all like "F--- da police" and round house kicks Masuda in the head if he objects. Yeah, that's how awesome Mega Torkoal will be.

Spr_3e_227.gif

Steel/Flying
Heatproof
65 HP / 120 Atk (+40) / 180 Def (+40) / 40 Sp.Atk / 100 Sp.Def (+30) / 60 Speed (-10)

Heatproof Mega Skarmory. Bulkier and more offensive; never understood why it had such a mediocre Attack when it looks like it could - and would - be very vicious. Loses some speed due to Heatproof. :D

+30 Atk and +50 def and then i
stamp-gif.11496

I'd love to see Mega Torkoal happen! A good boost, both offensively and defensively with a more useful ability would be awesome.

As far as stat boosts go, I think it'd be best to look something like this:

70/85/140/85/70/20
to
70/115/150/115/110/10

Staying pure Fire would be fine, but a type change could possibly be nice. Besides the extra Ground weakness, maybe Steel would be good. Especially with the resistances along with its ability to use Gyro Ball with its low speed.

As for an ability? I personally think Simple would be the best ability for it. Using Curse would raise its Attack and Defense both by 2 stages while lowering its already useless Speed. This particular strategy would be especially great for Torkoal-Gyro Ball users. Next best would maybe be Contrary, of course being used primarily with Overheat. Solid Rock/Filter would also be great for it, especially if given a Steel type.

While not specific to Mega evolution, I'd like to see Torkoal get access to more physical Fire type moves. Maybe Flare Blitz.

Last edited:
Hariyama is just begging for a Mega Evolution, pokemon with high HP are great for Mega Evolution since HP doesn't increase in Mega Evolution, an increase to Attack, Defense and Special Defense would make it a beast.

Hariyama is just begging for a Mega Evolution, pokemon with high HP are great for Mega Evolution since HP doesn't increase in Mega Evolution, an increase to Attack, Defense and Special Defense would make it a beast.

As long as GF is making new moves/abilities in ORAS, they should give Mega Hariyama a Tough Claws variant (just because the name implies claws) and focus most of the increase in his defenses. Maybe HP 144/Atk 150/Def 100/SpA 40/SpD 100/Spe 40. Reduced speed because I'm assuming he gains his defenses from his bulk, and the increased bulk slows it down.

Its stronger than Guts Hariyama, and is much more defensive and its bulk doesn't suffer from status problems. Add in Drain Punch (needs to be put in its moveset for ORAS) and we've got a powerful Mega right here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom