• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters

Dr. Buni

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y introduced the concept of Mega Evolution to us - temporary power-ups that are brought about from a combination of the bond between a trainer and their Pokémon, as well as the mysterious Mega Stones. As this mechanic is more of a hybrid between evolutions and "formes", could they be added into the series mid-generation or not? And if so, which ones would you like to see?

Mod Note: Because they're a bit of a special case, a separate thread for Sceptile and Swampert has been made. Please keep all discussion of potential Mega Evolutions of those two Pokémon that thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Will we get more Mega Evolutions in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire?

I would be shocked if Blaziken didn't get another form. Metagross is definitely getting one as well. Perhaps Skarmory and Makuhita as well? Also, Gen VI pokemon, bluh.

I really, really hope so. If we don't get Mega Swampert and Mega Sceptile at the very least I think they'll have failed massively.

What does everyone think to the chances that we might be able to get Mega Latias/Latios in these games?

What does everyone think to the chances that we might be able to get Mega Latias/Latios in these games?

100%

I'd like to see Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross.

Man I can't wait for Mega Ludicolo. Always has been and always will be my favorite Pokemon. They better give it a Mega Evo. Sceptile and Swampert deserve them too and Blazikenite better be available. Since X/Y gave us Mega Kanto starters which starters (assuming Professor Birch will give us other ones) will get Mega Evolutions? Sinnoh, Johto, Unova, or Kalos?

To answer the above question, yes I'm sure Mega Latios and Latias will actually be in these games instead of X/Y. Mega Rayquaza too. Also Mega Manectric, Mega Eon Duo, Mega Absol, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Mawile, and Mega Aggron were totally hints towards Ruby/Sapphire remakes.

Last edited:

My guess is that this is where the Mega Lati@s will make their official debut. Otherwise, yes, I suppose the glowing mascots on the artworks indicate they might get a new Mega Evolution, or at least a new form. Probably the remaining Hoenn starters will get Mega Evolutions as well; on this regard, I claim this time the starter who will get two megas will be Swampert to honor the 'i herd u liek mudkipz' meme.

It would be interesting to get Mega Evolutions for the Kalos starter trio as well, somehow... Although I think they will hold them for the eventual third version/sequels.

As of Generation III Pokémon, I am really hoping for Mega Shiftry, Mega Sableye and Mega Metagross.

Are people predicting ability changes for the pokemon getting new megas? What would be their ideal new abilities?

It would be interesting to get Mega Evolutions for the Kalos starter trio as well, somehow... Although I think they will hold them for the eventual third version/sequels.

As of Generation III Pokémon, I am really hoping for Mega Shiftry, Mega Sableye and Mega Metagross.

A fellow Shiftry fan! I didn't know anybody really liked him. I hope they chance his type to Grass/Fairy. Grass/Dark is a horrible typing. Almost as bad as Grass/Ice. Mega Glalie needs to happen too. Better be Ice/Fairy.

The box art is making me believe that Groudon and Kyogre are getting Megas, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

A fellow Shiftry fan! I didn't know anybody really liked him. I hope they chance his type to Grass/Fairy. Grass/Dark is a horrible typing. Almost as bad as Grass/Ice. Mega Glalie needs to happen too. Better be Ice/Fairy.
Not sure if Grass/Fairy would fit well with Shiftry's origins, but I would totally approve of the type change. Shiftry sucks, it desperately needs a buff.

What we need is:
Mega Dunsparce
Mega Shiftry
Mega Gallie
Mega Farfetch'd
Mega Milotic
Mega Wobbofett

I don't think they should change types just for the sake of changing types that are more or less bad. But this would be a good time to give out some more stat buffs like they did to a few lucky pokes in XY.

I think the other starters may be getting Megas since this would be a good time for it~ And the Mega Latis are pretty much a given (or they should be).

Mega Zangoose would be awesome. It needs to happen. Mega Flygon, Salamence, and Metagross are also my top three picks for needing a Mega (Flygon for sure).

Not sure if Grass/Fairy would fit well with Shiftry's origins, but I would totally approve of the type change. Shiftry sucks, it desperately needs a buff.

Grass/Ghost could work. It's not the best typing but it would serve it better than Grass/Dark. It's a shame because Shiftry has great offensive stats and a great design but if you don't OHKO your opponent Shiftry is done for.

Didn't think of the other starters, wouldn't be fair if they didn't get one. Maybe a few other gen 3 Pokes/ones in the Pokedex too.

Since X/Y gave us Mega Kanto starters which starters (assuming Professor Birch will give us other ones) will get Mega Evolutions? Sinnoh, Johto, Unova, or Kalos?

In Emerald you received a choice of Chikorita, Cyndaquil, or Totodile after completing the Hoenn Pokédex, so if they decide to bring that mechanic over I would place my bets on the Johto starters getting Mega Evolutions. And especially considering they're the only starter triangle without a single dual-type final evolution? They totally deserve buffs of some kind.

Assuming the box art of these games depict Mega Groudon and Mega Kyogre, I think there's a good-but-not-definite chance we will be getting Mega Latis in these games. It just seems weird for Game Freak to put them in the coding for X/Y and not do anything with them. Of course it could just be that the Mega Latis were completed early and so they decided to just chuck them into the coding, but something's telling me that Game Freak has (or, at least had) plans for the Mega Latis in X/Y.

Lobbying for Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross.

Others I'd love to see are Mega Roserade, Mega Swampert, Mega Walrein, and even Mega Wailord.

Hopefully some non-3rd Gen Pokémon get a few as well. Like, I dunno, any 5th Gen Pokémon?!

Knowing Game Freak...

Mega Mewtwo Alpha and Omega
Mega Charizard Alpha and Omega

Jokes aside, I can see plenty of the Mega Evolutions happening for a few more Gen III pokemon, especially the two other starters, the box legendaries, and Metagross. The Gen III remakes can be worked around so that Steven is looking for Mega Stones as opposed to just regular stones, and his Metagross (signature pokemon) may Mega Evolve during his battle with you.

And especially considering they're the only starter triangle without a single dual-type final evolution? They totally deserve buffs of some kind.

I think that mechanic had more to do with fitting into Johto's theme of "tradition." A "traditional" starter should remain pure-typed throughout their evolution. That didn't completely happen for Gen I; Charizard gained a secondary type, while Venusaur was dual-typed from the beginning.

My only concern about the addition of new Mega Evolutions, is how it could affect communication with Pokémon XY. Obviously, GameFreak can just patch stuff (but them including Mega Lati@s in the coding makes me think they won't) but that would still make connectivity weird between games that aren't connected online. GameFreak could make it so that OR/AS can't communicate with copies of XY that haven't received the latest software update, but that could inconvenience a few people.

Sceptail, Swampert will get Megas for sure. Kyogre and Groudon too I think. Maybe Rayquaza. Though I feel that Metagross, Salamence and such popular often-used pokes will not get. Some of them but not all. If we look at the Megas they made for XY we can see a group of rarely used pokes which received a buff. Pinsir, Manectric, Houndoom, Mawile, Heracross, Abomasnow, Kanga... underused, not very popular but got Megas anyway. Megas feels to me like a tool to get bad pokemons better. Then they might not only give Hoenn mons Megas. Unova and Kalso has a good shot of getting some too since they did not have any in XY.

Back
Top Bottom