• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
In all honesty, I'm not that impressed with the design. It barely changes at all and I just think it's weird that it summons some giant jewel out of nowhere to hide behind. It's still cute though, especially with those big red gem eyes.

He probably didn't change his look because he was already goddamn perfect. MegaSableye is beyond the impossible perfect design (please have Prankster or better).

Edit: That gem shield looks like a wonderful guard.

Eh, I do like normal Sableye, but I just would have hoped for a little more change appearance wise. If you take away that big-ass gem it seems to have only gotten like 2 minor changes from its normal form.

In all honesty, I'm not that impressed with the design. It barely changes at all and I just think it's weird that it summons some giant jewel out of nowhere to hide behind. It's still cute though, especially with those big red gem eyes.

He probably didn't change his look because he was already goddamn perfect. MegaSableye is beyond the impossible perfect design (please have Prankster or better).

Eh, I do like normal Sableye, but I just would have hoped for a little more change appearance wise. If you take away that big-ass gem it seems to have only gotten like 2 minor changes from its normal form.
I rather have mega evolutions with simple designs than overdesigned atrocities (Mega Heracross) but that's just me.

If it has Prankster in its Mega Form it's going to be the most annoying thing to take down. Watch GF give him 50 points to Defense and 50 to Special Defense and Prankster.

Game Freak loves to troll their fans, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I rather have mega evolutions with simple designs than overdesigned atrocities (Mega Heracross) but that's just me.

I never said it had to be overdesigned, but something more than just changing the eye color, making the horn things a bit bigger, and making the gem on its chest turn into an enormous shield would have been nice. I'm not saying the design is terrible. I like it. It's just rather boring in comparison to other megas imo.

Oh my word. Just when I thought it couldn't get anymore annoying.

Good news is that Smogon should ban it soon enough. That aside, outside of smogon rules, Mega Sableye looks like it will be the ultimate Prankster and very hard to deal with (no more leftovers recovery though!). Watch its defenses shoot up. With this, Mega Bannette has no purpose (if Sableye keeps Prankster).

I don't think Mega Sableye will keep Prankster. The official site mentions how Mega Sableye's gem becomes so hard that it can't be scratched; this could be evidence of a different Ability rather than just a little Defense buff (which wouldn't mean that much with its piddly HP anyway).

Mega Sableye is such a cutie! I love how it hides behind the Rupee and climbs on top of it when it attacks!~ It better have more defense and Prankster! It will be the most annoying thing ever! And that's coming from someone who hates Sableye (competitive-wise). I would definitely use it if it get that much cuter and more annoying!

I also love the fact that it was May that Mega-Evolved him in the trailer; you never see them use the female player for stuff like that.

Maybe it will have the same ability as Mega Diancie? Both are little gem creatures. As much as I'd like to see it keep Prankster, the more I look at it the more I think it's going to get a different ability that focuses on Sableye's defensive use of the shield. It's definitely going to be a defensive Mega, that much is obvious.

Also I realised its eyes probably turn red due to the energy from Mega Evolution, similar to how both Mega Houndoom and Mega Manectric develop red-coloured claws after Mega Evolution (the official site mentions this for both, so it isn't just a random colour change on them both).

Given that the flavor text for Mega Sableye says that it's gem is so hardthat barely any attack will scratch it, Wonder Guard does seem like a possibility.

Anyways, what I really want to know from GF is if we can pull off Mega Evolution during Pokémon Contests. I'd like to see how they would affect that particular side-quest.

Given that the flavor text for Mega Sableye says that it's gem is so hardthat barely any attack will scratch it, Wonder Guard does seem like a possibility.

But do you really want a Pokémon that's only weak to one type to have Wonder Guard as its ability, though?
No, I don't. However, GameFreak did acknowledge giving that typing the Wonder Guard ability via one of the Pokéstar Studios movies, and Mega Sableye's flavor text regarding its giant red gem does make sense if it were to have Wonder Guard. Besides, all you have to do is have a Pokémon on your team know Soak, Trick-or-Treat, or Forest's Curse to give the little bugger an extra weakness.

But do you really want a Pokémon that's only weak to one type to have Wonder Guard as its ability, though?
No, I don't. However, GameFreak did acknowledge giving that typing the Wonder Guard ability via one of the Pokéstar Studios movies, and Mega Sableye's flavor text regarding its giant red gem does make sense if it were to have Wonder Guard. Besides, all you have to do is have a Pokémon on your team know Soak, Trick-or-Treat, or Forest's Curse to give the little bugger an extra weakness.
Or hit him with a Play Rough/Moon Blast. But i seriously doubt they are to give a pokemon with only one weakness Wonder Guard.

Honestly I'm hoping they give him more Special Defense (not physical because Will-O-Wisp covers that), a bit more HP, a bit more Attack (for using Knock Off), and keep Prankster. My personal interpretation of his new design is that the Rupee represents Sableye getting better defenses, but the fact that he's hiding behind it suggests he's still a trickster who plays dirty and can't do much on his own.

So, I'm guessing-- no, it's pretty much guaranteed that Sableye's getting a crapload of defense to counter Mawile's Huge Power. Possibly over 150?

Even if not, that Lv100 I spent eight years growing actually has meaning again! After his depressing performance in Emerald's Frontier, I was waiting for this.

I could see Mega Sableye having a Defence-boosting ability to compensate for its low stats, the same way Mega Mawile has an Attack-boosting ability to compensate for its low stats. If that's the case, hopefully it's similar to Fur Coat, which Sableye would be able to take advantage of much better than Furfrou (mainly because of Burn and recovery). Or if I am to speculate, an ability that boosts both Defence and Special Defence, similar to Eviolite's defence boost.

Thanks for reading.

I just see the Mega Sableye, thanks to someone siggy.

And even though I don't like Sableye, I really like their Mega form. Just like Mega Mawile, they just use part of their body that transform and show how it raise their stats, instead of make a really different design for the pokemon that can look unnaturally ridiculous.

I could see Mega Sableye having a Defence-boosting ability to compensate for its low stats, the same way Mega Mawile has an Attack-boosting ability to compensate for its low stats. If that's the case, hopefully it's similar to Fur Coat, which Sableye would be able to take advantage of much better than Furfrou (mainly because of Burn and recovery). Or if I am to speculate, an ability that boosts both Defence and Special Defence, similar to Eviolite's defence boost.

Thanks for reading.
If that's the case, Sableye's ability should also have the priority effect of Prankster. Let's face it, Prankster is the only reason people use Sableye competitively. Defensively, it probably would never beat Eviolite Dusclops. In fact, if its ability is just a replication of Eviolite, than this is the one Pokemon that undoubtedly would have been better served by an evolution. At least then, Sableye could actually use Eviolite and Prankster.

Watch it be a toned down Wonder Guard or something.

I'm also betting Sableye's jewel colour actually depends on the version its from.

I'm also betting Sableye's jewel colour actually depends on the version its from.

So, uh...then the one we've seen would be from Omega Ruby.

A Sableye could only be from Ruby if it was hatched from an egg, so unless it and Mawile lose their version-exclusivity, the red version would be the rarer of the two...and the first shown.

Coupled with the fact that its shield visibly grows from the normally-red crystal on its chest...I dunno...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom