• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I'd supercharge him, then give him Defeatist or Stall. Still limiting, but a bit more manageable. Or you could reduce his attack and speed, boost his defences, and give him something semi-useful like Unnerve, Steadfast, Rivalry, Anger Point. Anger Point would be good, actually, so his mega form is almost like pricking the side of the beast. Stands up, starts roaring. Or is that too Vigoroth?

EDIT: It'd never happen, but Trace would be so much fun. That'd be poetic justice. Change nothing else about it, no stats - just stand him up, give him Trace and send him on its way. "Twelve years, you've suffered with your ability - now, take your pick!"

Last edited:
I love all the designs for the mega evos so far (tried to avoid them but everyone has them as signatures and profiles and damn youtube!) I wasn't a fan of Swampert's design or Sceptile's but now both have amazing megas that are some of my favourite designs!

Also if anyone has seen MCM's announcement there will be new megas revealed at the London comic con in the end of October. So yes there will be more!
The list of Pokemon I think need/I want megas for are:
Milotic
Metagross
SALAMENCE! (I love Salamence <3)
Dunsparce if he's never getting an evolution.
Shedninja/Ninjask
Regigigas? Or just get rid of that hideous ability!

I agree with Salamence so much. He's my favourite. =]
Mega shedinja should get more hp.

They should just do away with the +100-BST standard. It's a silly self-imposed limit in the first place.

My issue with Mega Evolution is that we're going to reach over-saturation soon. There'll be a ton of Megas to choose from, but you'll be restricted to just one. The best ones will be used overwhelmingly and you'll never come across most of the others (basically what already happens now).

I think Mega Evolution should be something that allows you to use an old Pokemon in a different way--for example, taking the frail, support-oriented Sabelye and turning it into a defensive beast. It allows for unpredictability and innovation. It's no fun seeing your opponent send out Kangaskhan and thinking to yourself "well, there's that again."

When you're just taking an old Pokemon that sucks and buttering up stats, it's still probably going to go unused. Other Pokemon will likely fulfill the same roles much more effectively, usually without the use of a Mega Stone.

In those cases, I'd much rather GameFreak just go and tinker with the BSTs, movesets and abilities of those Pokemon instead.

Last edited:
I think Mega Evolution should be something that allows you to use an old Pokemon in a different way--for example, taking the frail, support-oriented Sabelye and turning it into a defensive beast. It allows for unpredictability and innovation. It's no fun seeing your opponent send out Kangaskhan and thinking to yourself "well, there's that again."

The issue with Kangaskhan is that it simply doesn't have a "natural predator" in this game. If it wasn't for the fact that it's so much better than other Megas, then we'd probably see a few more in rotation. I don't know, I'm actually excited about a defensive M-Sableye. None of Kangaskhan's standard moves, apart from Sucker Punch, can touch it and even then Sucker Punch will be a neutral hit. I'm not saying our Kangaskhan problem could be completely solved by other Megas (I still advocate reducing the second hit to 25%--I mean how does a baby have half the power of an adult), but if we bring in Mega Pokemon that can stand up to Kangaskhan, but then are weak to other Megas, we might strike a much better balance than the one we have now.

And maybe once we have so many Megas, hopefully a lot of useful ones, the variety of choice will expand and we'll see less repeating in battles because of the larger number to choose from (like Pokemon in general already is generally).

I'm interested to see if the Fossil pokes will get mega's, Aerodactyl got one so the others should to. Mega Bastidon & Rampardos would be neat.

Glalie really needs a Mega Evolution. For some reason in X/Y, Game Freak did not retype Glalie to Ice/Fairy. Despite that it is in the Fairy egg group it did not receive a single one of the Fairy type moves introduced in the game. Hopefully in OR/AS Game Freak will wise up, retype it, expand its movepool, and give it a Mega Evolution. Something like this would be nice:

Mega Glalie

Ability: Fairy Aura

HP: 80

Atk: 100

Def: 100

Sp. Atk: 100

Sp. Def: 100

Spe: 100

The Ice/Fairy typing would give Glalie a 2X weakness to Rock, 2X weakness to Fire, 4X weakness to Steel, and a 2X weakness to Poison. It would have a 2x resistance to Ice, 2x resistance to Bug, and 2x resistance to Dark. That's 4 weaknesses and 3 resistances with an immunity to Dragon. Fighting would be neutral but obviously wouldn't pose much of a threat to it with the Fairy typing. Overall I'd say it's a great combo.

Hopefully Beautifly and Masquerain will get megas. Give dem bugs the boost they deserve and for the love of Arceus, change Mega Masquerain's type back to Bug/Water.

lol. As if GameFreak was in any way concerned about the Pokémon that could use a Mega Evolution to be more usable in battle. Look at the Mega Pokémon introduced in XY. Obviously balance is the last of their reasons and their priorities.

Likewise I don't see why there shouldn't be a Mega Slaking or why being overpowered makes it impossible. We got Mewtwo X/Y and many other overpowered Megas of "normal" Pokémon. If they're already going all the way, there's no real concern with balance. A Mega Slaking with a hindering Ability would be a complete waste, just as regular Slaking and Regigigas are right now. Not very "Mega".

Game Freak definitely doesn't care about balance. If they did Xerneas would be Fairy/Grass so that it didn't have a complete advantage against Yveltal. Greninja is also an example of them not caring about balance. Poor Chesnaught and Delphox can't even touch it. One starter is not supposed to have an advantage over the rest. The Sinnoh Starters a perfect example of a balanced trio. All of them are evenly matched in terms of strength. As for Mega Mewtwo, I can't understand why anyone would feel the need to do that. Wasn't Mewtwo powerful enough?

Game Freak definitely doesn't care about balance. If they did Xerneas would be Fairy/Grass so that it didn't have a complete advantage against Yveltal. Greninja is also an example of them not caring about balance. Poor Chesnaught and Delphox can't even touch it. One starter is not supposed to have an advantage over the rest. The Sinnoh Starters a perfect example of a balanced trio. All of them are evenly matched in terms of strength. As for Mega Mewtwo, I can't understand why anyone would feel the need to do that. Wasn't Mewtwo powerful enough?

How so? Infernape can beat both Torterra and Empoleon~ I also wouldn't consider the Kalos starters unbalanced. It does seem so, but if played right, it isn't impossible for Delphox or Chesnaught to beat Greninja~

How so? Infernape can beat both Torterra and Empoleon~ I also wouldn't consider the Kalos starters unbalanced. It does seem so, but if played right, it isn't impossible for Delphox or Chesnaught to beat Greninja~

Special Inferape can take out Torterra but Physical can barely dent him. 252 Atk Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 236-278 (59.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs

4 Atk Torterra Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 308-366 (105.1 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As for Empoleon, 252+ Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 288-342 (77.4 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs

4 SpA Empoleon Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Infernape: 342-404 (116.7 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The Sinnoh Starters really are balanced. They are equally strong. There isn't a clear frontrunner like Greninja. I'd also like to correct myself as Chesnaught can take a hit from Greninja and survive.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Chesnaught: 283-335 (74.4 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(283, 283, 289, 291, 296, 299, 304, 307, 307, 312, 315, 320, 322, 328, 330, 335)

Delphox unfortunately can not really do a thing to Greninja. It doesn't get Thunderbolt or Dazzling gleam. It can take a hit but it can't do anything about that.

I am sorry, but the Sinnoh starters are all but balanced, lol. Infernape clearly tops both Empoleon and Torterra.

A Mega Slaking WITHOUT a hindering ability would be ridiculous. It would be ungodly. It would become one of the most overpowered uber pokemon of all time, more powerful than most legendaries. There aren't enough words to describe how broken that could be. A hindering ability should be a given.
Unless it drops in some stats as a result of getting a Mega Evolution as a means of balancing it out. For example. What if it's speed drops and it looses some Sp. Def or something.

A Mega Slaking WITHOUT a hindering ability would be ridiculous. It would be ungodly. It would become one of the most overpowered uber pokemon of all time, more powerful than most legendaries. There aren't enough words to describe how broken that could be. A hindering ability should be a given.
Unless it drops in some stats as a result of getting a Mega Evolution as a means of balancing it out. For example. What if it's speed drops and it looses some Sp. Def or something.

Those stats have to go somewhere. I already did propose a Slaking a few pages back that wound up being nerf'd enough that it effectively had the same stats as a Pokemon with 680 BST (the range of high-end Megas), with the same power as a Pokemon with a ~135 base physical and ~70 base special attack on Life Orb. I had also dealt with the increased defenses without redistributing it all to its offenses with recoil damage, while reducing its speed meaning its slower than most common OU threats making its ability to sweep and heal less effective.

But then everyone seemed to ignore it and go off on the trail that "lol Slaking is too strong without Slow Start or Truant". Yes, it is, but Slow Start and Truant would still keep it from being used since you have Megas who's abilities don't hinder your offensive strength. Sure, my Slaking is now slower and takes recoil, and weaker than a regular Slaking with an attack boosting item, but its damage output is still greater than the regular one (thanks to attacking on all turns) while not actually being ridiculously stronger than what other Mega (and Non-Mega) Pokemon bring to the table (see the first link or the spoiler below).

I don't know, maybe its because my proposed Slaking wound up spread across multiple posts? So here it is again:

Burning Spirit* (Loses 1/10th HP every turn it attacks directly)
150 HP/190 Atk/130 Def/110 SpA/100 SpD/90 Spe

*I gave it a new ability, which we know is happening in ORAS thanks to Primal Groudon/Kyogre. The in-game explanation is that Slaking's Mega Evolution is strength is so powerful that using it in battle causes recoil damage. It has no actual effect aside from this.

Offenses:
At base 190, its total attack is 526. That is roughly Salamence's total attack stat on top of a Life Orb boost :

405 * 1.3 = 526.5

At base 110, its special can reach up to 350. To put that into perspective, a Dragonair with Life Orb effectively reaches a maximum of 340 after a 1.3 boost. This Slaking is actually worse than LO Garchomp in terms of its special attack.

Speed:
At base 90, Slaking loses out on the ever-so-common base 100 speed tier and the lack of a speed boost forces the choice of sacrificing even more power for speed that'll never even beat Jolly base 100 Pokemon. Mega Garchomp is often passed up because of this issue.

Defenses:
So 150/130/100 looks great on paper, but every turn you attack you essentially lose 10% of your health. Given that you are now slower than most of the common hard hitters you're not able to heal off the extra damage before they attack you twice if you don't OHKO them (all you'll be doing is delaying the inevitable with Slack Off). They'll essentially only need to be able to get off 45% damage to guarantee a 2HKO if you attack back and can't KO them. Keep in mind, its offenses are as strong as LO Salamence/Dragonite/Garchomp, something people have been dealing with since Gen IV

Mega Sableye retains its typing but has Magic Bounce as its ability.

The English website says that Mega Sableye's Defense and Special Attack get big boosts, while Speed only drops slightly. Mega Sableye's weight increases tremendously because of its jewel -- it is now 354.9 lbs.

Link to article on English website
Magic Bounce is a decent ability, but Prankster was better in my opinion.

RIP hopes and dreams for Mega Sableye

480 stats with Magic Bounce? Why would we use it over Mega Absol?

At least the English website hints at some of Mega Sableye's base stat totals.
HP: 50
DEFENSE: 95+ (big boost)
SPECIAL ATTACK: 85+ (big boost)
SPEED: 40 (only drops slightly)

Magic Bounce is a blessing for Mega Sableye in a different way than expected. A bulky Pokemon with a really good Defensive typing (three immunities and only one weakness), access to Recover, and an ability to reflect opposing Taunts, Will-o-Wisps, entry hazards, etc. which are common in the singles game. Mega Sableye doesn't need to pack Taunt as much, which gives its moveset an extra space for some other move.

Magic Bounce's once per turn restriction doesn't limit Mega Sableye's use in Singles, which is where Sableye already shined in Gen V's UU metagame.

Last edited:
480 stats with Magic Bounce? Why would we use it over Mega Absol?

An actual defence stat (at least, according the official site), reliable recovery, good defensive typing and spinblocking capabiltites. Assuming a decent defence boost, Mega Sableye looks to be much more reliable in a support role than Mega Absol.

In any case, it's looking to be leaps and bounds better than Espeon and Xatu at the Magic Bounce support game. Whether it's worth the mega slot is another matter.

I do like that it gives Sableye another role to play without completely replacing the base form.

Back
Top Bottom