• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Though I guess there is a small chance that Archie could get Gyarados and Maxie get Houndoom.

Steven doesn't have Mega Aggron, so I don't see why'd they reuse Megas. They are going to be adding a whole new bunch, and combined with it seeming like there will only be Steven, Archie, Maxie and potentially May/Brendan/Wally using them, there's less reason to reuse them. If they were given to more characters then I could see them having to reuse them eventually, but it doesn't look to be the case. Also Houndour and Houndoom aren't in Hoenn and there's no reason to think they've been added at the moment.

Also, Archie, for some reason, has a cross on his face (like Sharpedo has on its head) and Maxie's glasses have three hoops on the frame's hands (like Camerupt has on its side). Make of it what you will.

If Mega Milotic were to keep Marvel Scale, I'd like to see it change mechanics so that it doesn't suffer from the damaging effects of status conditions along with the defense increase. Sure, it seems a bit much but losing 1/8th of your HP to status each turn for a defense boost unless you ResTalk isn't really worth it, and it would be nice to have more defensive Megas that aren't reliant on the ResTalk strategy like Aggron for recovery. It also goes a long way to helping regular Milotic, though ideally I'd like a Marvel Scale mechanics change along with Serene Grace Mega Milotic.

Just on the topic of bad abilities... I'd argue Aerodactyl has a bad ability; not because Tough Claws itself is bad, but because of its type - the only moves Aerodactyl gets both STAB and a Tough Claws boost on are Sky Drop, Wing Attack, Sky Attack, Aerial Ace, and Fly, all of which either have low base powers or take 2 turns to use. You basically have to choose between STAB or a Tough Claws boost. Charizard doesn't have to do this, hence why it's so powerful, and well-used. I imagine Metagross will be similar.

Just on the topic of bad abilities... I'd argue Aerodactyl has a bad ability; not because Tough Claws itself is bad, but because of its type - the only moves Aerodactyl gets both STAB and a Tough Claws boost on are Sky Drop, Wing Attack, Sky Attack, Aerial Ace, and Fly, all of which either have low base powers or take 2 turns to use. You basically have to choose between STAB or a Tough Claws boost. Charizard doesn't have to do this, hence why it's so powerful, and well-used. I imagine Metagross will be similar.
That actually makes sense--especially when you look at M-Aerodactyl's usage--though its bad ability is only hindered by its moveset, something that can be fixed over generations and games. Though, if its ever given the best moves for its type, Brave Bird and Head Smash, I'd imagine non-Mega variations would be preferred for Rock Head.

That actually makes sense--especially when you look at M-Aerodactyl's usage--though its bad ability is only hindered by its moveset, something that can be fixed over generations and games. Though, if its ever given the best moves for its type, Brave Bird and Head Smash, I'd imagine non-Mega variations would be preferred for Rock Head.

Possible. Mega Aerodactyl with Brave Bird and Head Smash might be kind of scary though. Mega Aerodactyl has slightly higher attack than Mega Charizard X (135 vs. 130) and is so much faster (base 150 speed vs. Charizard X's 100). Imagine that, something with the same power as Charizard X's Flare Blitz or Outrage, but it's almost always going to outspeed you unless you've got priority, already boosted your speed or are Choice Scarfed (And even then, once it's Mega Evolved, it'd still outspeed some Scarfers). Recoil damage would at least help revenge kill it though. Obviously, something stopped GF from pulling a Blastoise and giving Aerodactyl a bunch of shiny new moves to better abuse Tough Claws with.

Since Archie and Maxie are said to be able to use Mega Evolution I'm guessing there could be a mega Sharpedo and Camerupt.

That's a SERIOUSLY good theory. nearly every Aqua/magma grunt uses their respective pre-evolutions, plus, they're the kind of under used pokemon nintendo targets with mega evolution.(Though the stones would probably be in their respective game, i.e. someone who finds cameruptite can't find sharpedite.) Also, I don't think It's that inconcievable to have a mega mightyena. (I think you may have said that, or maybe it was someone else.) It's practically the first pokemon you come by, so consider it a long term investment.

Obviously, something stopped GF from pulling a Blastoise and giving Aerodactyl a bunch of shiny new moves to better abuse Tough Claws with.
Blastoise's new egg moves really don't make sense outside of the context of its Mega Evolution. Game Freak has passed up giving Aerodactyl Head Smash and Brave Bird for two generations even before Mega Evolution, probably because of Rock Head.

maxieshot_zpsd04572b2.png
archieshot_zps3112c86f.png

maxieshot1_zps73e6e49c.png
archieshot2_zps1979cbc6.png

Both Maxie and Archie have three Pokemon like in RS. It seems like they'll be keeping the same teams.

Their teams still consisting of three Pokemon, combined with Maxie's glasses having three hoops on their frames, like on the sides of Camerupt's body, and Archie having a cross on his face, like Sharpedo has on its head, makes me all the more confident that Mega Camerupt and Sharpedo are definitely happening and not Crobat or Mightyena.

(Also look how blatantly they showed off their key stones! What a bunch of teasers.)

(Also look how blatantly they showed off their key stones! What a bunch of teasers.)

I completely agree with you that mega sharpedo and camerupt are going to happen. It's basically all but confirmed. and with the mega stone thing, how will the protagonists show their mega stones? they probably have it in the mega sceptile/ mega swampert video. (personally, if I was a trainer, I think It'd be BEAST to have a mega stone on my shades)

(sigh) Why couldn't it be something cooler? Like have it on their signature headband thing? Oh well.

How would that even work? Can you even infuse a Key Stone in clothing seeing as you have to press it to activate it? Unless it was specially made...

I do agree, though, most everyone else in the game who has a Key Stone has it as a much cooler accessory.

(sigh) Why couldn't it be something cooler? Like have it on their signature headband thing? Oh well.

How would that even work? Can you even infuse a Key Stone in clothing seeing as you have to press it to activate it? Unless it was specially made...

OK, yeah, that was a stupid Idea. I still like the glasses idea. Have them on sunglasses, cruise through town on mega houndoom, boombox on shoulder:

"They see me rollin'. They hatin'"

eM
maxieshot_zpsd04572b2.png
archieshot_zps3112c86f.png

maxieshot1_zps73e6e49c.png
archieshot2_zps1979cbc6.png

Both Maxie and Archie have three Pokemon like in RS. It seems like they'll be keeping the same teams.

Their teams still consisting of three Pokemon, combined with Maxie's glasses having three hoops on their frames, like on the sides of Camerupt's body, and Archie having a cross on his face, like Sharpedo has on its head, makes me all the more confident that Mega Camerupt and Sharpedo are definitely happening and not Crobat or Mightyena.

At this point its obvious that the Mega Scoop is going to be mainly focusing on Camerupt and Sharpedo, no doubt about it. I'm also guessing they could give us Mega Gallade as well, since Wally needs to be revealed. Speed Boost on Mega Gallade could turn it into an amazing Glass Cannon, or maybe give it Defiant to have some fun?

I do agree, though, most everyone else in the game who has a Key Stone has it as a much cooler accessory.
It could work. I mean Korrina has a glove, and that's not really high tech. But having the PC's facepalming to mega-evolve is just silly. Personally, if the Keystone was clothing situated, I would make them go full on EXTREEEEMEEE BATTLE TIME by having em pop their collars to activate mega evolution. If Brendan and may at least still had collars.

I'm also guessing they could give us Mega Gallade as well, since Wally needs to be revealed. Speed Boost on Mega Gallade could turn it into an amazing Glass Cannon, or maybe give it Defiant to have some fun?
I could see Technician on Mega Gallade. Or with how much they push the blade theme with him, a brand new ability that boosts cutting, slashing, slicing, dicing, and blade moves.

I've been trying to guess which other Pokemon will be receiving Megas in ORAS, these are my guesses at the moment (note these aren't the exact Megas I'd like to see, but ones I think are likely imo):

Raichu
Sandslash
Golduck
Machamp
Golem
Weezing
Xatu
Girafarig
Skarmory
Kingdra
Donphan
Hariyama
Sharpedo
Camerupt
Flygon
Zangoose
Seviper
Milotic
Kecleon
Salamence
Gallade

This would be 28 counting Sceptile, Swampert, Sableye, Metagross, Diancie, Latios and Latias. 31, if Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza count towards Megas (they seem to be the same thing just with a different name). Slightly over XY's 28 (30 with the Eons). Probably a few too many, but I doubt I have it correct anyway. I've gone with Pokemon in the ORAS Pokedex, similar to XY Megas only belonging to Pokemon in the Kalos dex. Yes, this means there would be a lot of Gen I-III Megas... I know this. But Z can focus solely on Gen IV-VI Megas at a later point.

Camerupt and Sharpedo are basically a given I think, though I don't want to feel too confident in case I end up disappointed :x

Raichu and Gallade I'm iffy on, just because we have yet to see a stone evolution Pokemon receive a Mega. We've seen trade (Alakazam, Gengar), trade item (Scizor), friendship (Lucario) and of course regular levelling, but no stones yet.

Machamp and Golem to finish the trade quartet of Gen I, with Gengar and Alakazam both having one. Machamp is left behind these days due to Conkeldurr and Golem has the likes of Rhyperior, Hippowdon etc being better slow, physical Rock and Ground types.

Donphan and Hariyama are just two that I feel very strongly will receive Megas. I don't know why I feel so strong about it, I just do. I can end up wrong and eating my words though :p

The others are just a bunch that I can see Game Freak going towards. Flygon and Altaria are two Megas I would love, but I'm so sure that Salamence is going to receive one and I just can't see them giving ALL the Gen III Dragons one. I imagine Flygon and Salamence will end up being their choices (though I would much rather Altaria personally).

Milotic seems a pretty solid choice, as does Kingdra, Skarmory, Xatu and Weezing.

Zangoose and Seviper are the version exclusives I can see, since they'll most likely want to have version exclusive stones again; Solrock and Lunatone could fit, but I think they'll think Zangoose and Seviper are more popular and easier to design for; Shiftry and Ludicolo aren't mentioned because of the evolution stone situation; Mawile and Sableye both have their Megas.

Girafarig is one I'm not sure about and since I most definitely have too many it could be dropped (though I would like to see where they would take it and Girafarig does need improving).

Kecleon I can see happening, though. I imagine it could be a Mega Stone we get during the main game, (like Ampharos, Gengar, Aboma) specifically when we use the Devon Scope on the Kecleon blocking the bridge with Steven - he could have collected the stone and gives it to us after we battle it. The Castform at the Institute could also work the same way, but Castform already has forms (even if they suck).

Version-exclusive Megas will be a smart choice for GF so it's pretty much a given, whether that's Shiftry/Ludicolo or Zangoose/Seviper. As much as I'd like to see a Mega Ludicolo, the story behind a mega Zangoose/Seviper would be awesome. Their rivalry runs so deep that they've evolved further so they can beat each other.

I can definitely see Girafarig and Kecleon getting one with how much GF has done for Normal-types this Gen: A MegaEvo for Kangaskhan, three new type combinations with Normal, a few new abilities that boost Normal-type moves, and Normal Gem being the only available gem so far.

I'll throw in a case for Snorlax too. Munchlax did that whole Togepi deal with being revealed during Gen III, even though he wasn't yet playable. So ORAS might go the other way this time with a Mega Snorlax.

Version-exclusive Megas will be a smart choice for GF so it's pretty much a given, whether that's Shiftry/Ludicolo or Zangoose/Seviper. As much as I'd like to see a Mega Ludicolo, the story behind a mega Zangoose/Seviper would be awesome. Their rivalry runs so deep that they've evolved further so they can beat each other.

I can definitely see Girafarig and Kecleon getting one with how much GF has done for Normal-types this Gen: A MegaEvo for Kangaskhan, three new type combinations with Normal, a few new abilities that boost Normal-type moves, and Normal Gem being the only available gem so far.

I'll throw in a case for Snorlax too. Munchlax did that whole Togepi deal with being revealed during Gen III, even though he wasn't yet playable. So ORAS might go the other way this time with a Mega Snorlax.

I'd love if Game Freak gave a Mega Evolution to Girafarig! They could make it like its original design and have two full heads instead of a head and a tail with a mouth and eyes. That would be awesome!

On the other hand, what the heck could GF really do with Snorlax? Wouldn't it become even fatter than before? Just image how parents would react to a fat monster becoming morbidly obese in a children's game. They'd flip out! On the other hand, Mega Snorlax could go through the biggest loser treatment and become physically fit. I'd prefer the latter, but I'm afraid GF might go for the former.

Back
Top Bottom