• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Can't we all just hope and pray Gamefreak will finally give Dunsparce the mega he deserves?

Raichu and Gallade I'm iffy on, just because we have yet to see a stone evolution Pokemon receive a Mega. We've seen trade (Alakazam, Gengar), trade item (Scizor), friendship (Lucario) and of course regular levelling, but no stones yet.
I can see why a an evolutionary stone would impose limitations on further evolution, but Mega Evolution is supposed to surpass any such limits. If anything, the implied connection between evolutionary stones and Mega Stones should mean that Pokémon that use the former may further change using the latter.

Zangoose and Seviper are the version exclusives I can see, since they'll most likely want to have version exclusive stones again; Solrock and Lunatone could fit, but I think they'll think Zangoose and Seviper are more popular and easier to design for; Shiftry and Ludicolo aren't mentioned because of the evolution stone situation; Mawile and Sableye both have their Megas.
They already have Primal Groudon and Kyogre to serve this purpose, to say nothing of Mega Latias and Latios. And I don't see why Mawile and Sableye can't be used for this, even though Mega Mawile was introduced in XY (it wouldn't be weirder than certain asymmetries in version-exclusive pairs in the previous remakes, mostly due to cross-generational evolutions). Following the Tyranitar/Aggron and Houndoom/Manectric template, the Sableyite would be exclusive to Omega Ruby and so both versions would be needed to unlock Mega Sableye (in fact, Omega Ruby players would have an easier time obtaining it).

Do note that Zangoose and Seviper have already been showcased via the general Pokémon page. If they were going to be given Mega Evolutions, they would be covered via the Mega Evolution page, rendering their previous inclusion pretty pointless. The Mega starters, for instance, are only covered in the starter Pokémon section. I assume that the general Pokémon section is reserved for noteworthy Pokémon that don't belong in other sections.

Last edited:
They already have Primal Groudon and Kyogre to serve that purpose. And I don't see why Mawile and Sableye can't be used for this, even though Mega Mawile was introduced in XY (it wouldn't be weirder than certain asymmetries in version-exclusive pairs in the previous remakes, mostly due to cross-generational evolutions). Following the Tyranitar/Aggron and Houndoom/Manectric template, the Sableyite would be exclusive to Omega Ruby and so both versions would be needed to unlock Mega Sableye (in fact, Omega Ruby players would have an easier time obtaining it).

Mawile is an old Mega while Sableye is new. It's not really a fair advertising campaign to say "here OR/AS players have this old Mega as your version exclusive stone while [the other game] get a brand new one!". They could swap the stones around, but it still feels cheap to advertise an old Mega being exclusive to one game while the other gets a new one. (I love Mega Mawile, so I honestly wouldn't mind it myself, I just don't think it makes much sense as an advertising ploy since it's unfair.) They might be version exclusive stones in the games come release, but they won't advertise that before release imo, they'll use some other pairings.

And Primal Groudon and Kyogre are version exclusives, yeah, but they aren't really saying they are Megas as much their own thing with Primal Reversion. Plus it's incredibly obvious that the box mascots are exclusives, they shouldn't be the only reason to decide between the versions - they'll likely give us more. XY showed off many version exclusives before its release (Spritzee/Skrelp + Swirlix/Clauncher, both Mega Charizard + Mewtwo, Xerneas/Yveltal, also Mega Tyranitar and Mega Aggron were shown in Corocoro around the time of leaks iirc) no reason to think that ORAS won't advertise similar. They aren't only going to have Primal Groudon and Kyogre as the only version exclusive Megas.

Now you've made me think about it, I suppose Camerupt and Sharpedo's stones could be used to advertise the version exclusive stones this time around though. I can see them being version exclusives: either Archie/Maxie give your their stone at some point in the end game, or they swap the stones around (with Archie/Maxie not giving their stone in their games and therefore the opposite game having access to it because they don't keep it).

Do note that Zangoose and Seviper have already been showcased via the general Pokémon page. If they were going to be given Mega Evolutions, they would be covered via the Mega Evolution page, rendering their previous inclusion pretty pointless. The Mega starters, for instance, are only covered in the starter Pokémon section. I assume that the general Pokémon section is reserved for noteworthy Pokémon that don't belong in other sections.

Well they could be put there as foreshadowing? Clauncher and Skrelp were revealed a month before we knew they were version exclusives (they could have easily said it when they were first revealed at E3) so right now I don't think it's a good idea to rule it out. But yeah, maybe I'm looking at it wrong and other pairings like Camerupt and Sharpedo could advertise the version exclusive stones better.

Sorry for the long wall of text. :x

Mawile is an old Mega while Sableye is new. It's not really a fair advertising campaign to say "here OR/AS players have this old Mega as your version exclusive stone while [the other game] get a brand new one!". They could swap the stones around, but it still feels cheap to advertise an old Mega being exclusive to one game while the other gets a new one. (I love Mega Mawile, so I honestly wouldn't mind it myself, I just don't think it makes much sense as an advertising ploy since it's unfair.) They might be version exclusive stones in the games come release, but they won't advertise that before release imo, they'll use some other pairings.
The only version-exclusive Mega Stones that were advertised prior to XY's release were the Mewtwonite and Charizardite variants (the latter stones weren't even confirmed to be version-exclusive). The ORAS promotion may not be any different in that regard, with only the Pokémon themselves being advertised as version-exclusive features. As for Sableye and Mawile, making their stones version-exclusive and switching them around is the only way to minimize the asymmetry. I guess it depends on which aspect is considered more important (the Pokémon or the Mega Stone), but if we're relying on trades (even with XY) then the whole discussion becomes rather moot.

And Primal Groudon and Kyogre are version exclusives, yeah, but they aren't really saying they are Megas as much their own thing with Primal Reversion. Plus it's incredibly obvious that the box mascots are exclusives, they shouldn't be the only reason to decide between the versions - they'll likely give us more. XY showed off many version exclusives before its release (Spritzee/Skrelp + Swirlix/Clauncher, both Mega Charizard + Mewtwo, Xerneas/Yveltal, also Mega Tyranitar and Mega Aggron were shown in Corocoro around the time of leaks iirc) no reason to think that ORAS won't advertise similar. They aren't only going to have Primal Groudon and Kyogre as the only version exclusive Megas.
The Eon duo should suffice in addition to the regular version-exclusive Pokémon. Mega Tyranitar and Mega Aggron were officially revealed a few days after XY's release (and long after their leak), so a lot of players only found out about them after having made the purchase.

Now you've made me think about it, I suppose Camerupt and Sharpedo's stones could be used to advertise the version exclusive stones this time around though. I can see them being version exclusives: either Archie/Maxie give your their stone at some point in the end game, or they swap the stones around (with Archie/Maxie not giving their stone in their games and therefore the opposite game having access to it because they don't keep it).
I can see that happening, too.

Well they could be put there as foreshadowing? Clauncher and Skrelp were revealed a month before we knew they were version exclusives (they could have easily said it when they were first revealed at E3) so right now I don't think it's a good idea to rule it out.
I wouldn't think too much of it if they hadn't bothered to create a new page for them that is unrelated to Mega Evolution. The Japanese website actually lacks a similar page, even though CoroCoro showed a screenshot of a Zangoose-Seviper trade.

Will they be giving gen 5 Pokemon megas? Because I can sorta see Hydreigon getting one and its typing become Dragon/Steel because it was originally going to be a tank (and its 4x weakness to Fairy had made it drop to UU so now it can laugh at fairies!). It would probably keep its ability and get boosts to it defenses and special attack.

Will they be giving gen 5 Pokemon megas?
I'd wager that Mega Evolutions will be given to Pokémon in the Hoenn Pokédex and possibly ones available via post-game events (like Sudowoodo in Emerald). So I can only imagine ORAS introducing one or two Generation V Mega Evolutions.

Because I can sorta see Hydreigon getting one and its typing become Dragon/Steel because it was originally going to be a tank (and its 4x weakness to Fairy had made it drop to UU so now it can laugh at fairies!). It would probably keep its ability and get boosts to it defenses and special attack.
Dark is Hydreigon's primary type, so I don't see it being removed.

Wigglytuff needs a mega. Now that it got an unique typing, no Azurill don't count, it needs something more to make it stand out. Also, it always sucked and that makes me sad panda.

Kung Fu Panda. Problem solved.
Oh yes. (Although we may be blinded by its awesomeness)
Plus, I'd like:
Altaria
Gallade
Gen 4 starters
Flygon
Lusicolo

I know some of these are quite unlikely, but I think mega Gallade/gardevoir would make a mean tag battle combo, and altaria... Well, it's altaria. Enough said. Plus, I think Pokemon would really benefit from a dragon/fairy combo, and Altaria would be perfect for it.

Last edited:
Hariyama is one of those Hoenn 'mons desperately needs a Mega. I had trouble thinking of abilities at first but then I thought of Technician. Given how Hariyama has a ton of moves to utilize Technician, it makes sense. With increased defenses, Technician, increased attack, and gaining the Steel typing it could seriously change the metagame. Technician is almost always found on Glass Cannons but Hariyama is bulky. I was thinking stats like this would benefit it:

Mega Hariyama
Hariyamite
Fighting/Steel
Technician

HP: 144
Attack: 120->150 (+30)
Defense: 60->105 (+45)
Special Attack: 40->40 (+0)
Special Defense: 60->105 (+45)
Speed: 50->30 (-20)

mega_xatu_by_paprik_a-d6u5did.png

http://paprik-a.deviantart.com/art/Mega-Xatu-413436325

I really like this design for Mega Xatu. Though I'm sure it would end up becoming more totem pole like rather than the above, which might be disappointing. For an ability, I would like to see a change from Magic Bounce, just because we have Magic Bounce on a few Megas so far, so it's feeling a little repetitive. Maybe Magic Guard?

I'm curious if Gen V megas will happen with these games or do we still have to wait for them to happen. There are a bunch of them who "need" a Mega!

Wigglytuff needs a mega. Now that it got an unique typing, no Azurill don't count, it needs something more to make it stand out. Also, it always sucked and that makes me sad panda.

Doesn't Clefairy have the same typing?

So here's my random list of non-Gen III Pokemon that I'd like to see get a Mega Evolution:

Pidgeot
Sandslash
Golduck (Finally be Water/Psychic)
Rapidash (Flaming Alicorn FTW)
Noctowl (Finally be Psychic/Flying)
Crobat
Steelix
Lumineon
Weavile
Yanmega (Just for the funny name)
Gigalith
Carracosta (Because Aerodactyl needs a Mega friend...)
Archeops (... or two)
Zoroark
Cinccino
Galvantula
Golurk
Bisharp (Make him more Kamen Rider-like)

These are just some I want, not necessarily ones that I think are likely or ones that need to exist (I don't play competitively). Hopefully at least a few of these will be in OR/AS.

And I just want to say, if we don't get a Primal Rayquaza, somebody is gonna be in some pain. :bash:

I just want to voice my concern on the issue of Mega Evolutions in ORAS.

I love MEvos as much as the next guy, but I don't want there to be a slew of Mega Evolutions for Pokemon that cannot benefit from them as well as others. This is my only problem with Mega Evolutions: they close the door for any further enhancements to a Pokemon excluding new Pokemon moves (e.g. eggs, tutors, TMs, events, etc.) or items (e.g. Light Ball, Soul Dew). Take Banette for example. Prior to Mega Evolving, Banette has a measly 455 BST. After Mega Evolving, Banette of course gains a +100 BST boost, bringing it to a still underwhelming 555. Now, if this was Generation 3, those stats (base 165 ATK!) combined with the ability Prankster might look impressive, but this is Gen 6, where we have things like Gale Wings Talonflame, Protean Greninja, etc., and Mega Banette just pales in comparison to these Pokemon, let alone its Mega brethren. To put Mega Banette's stats in perspective, Arcanine also has a BST of 555, and many Pokemon fully evolved Pokemon have a BST of 540, including Kingdra, Snorlax, and Gyarados.

It is my opinion that the minimum a Pokemon's BST should be to be considered for a Mega Evolution should be 500. This would ensure that upon Mega Evolution, a Pokemon has a minimum BST of 600, which would be equivalent to that of a pseudo-legendary Pokemon. Otherwise, many Pokemon that have the potential for a Mega Evolution--such as Camerupt, or Tropius, or Zangoose, or Seviper--would quite possibly end up mediocre in comparison to other Mega Pokemon (or even non-Mega Pokemon such as Dragonite or Garchomp). Many of the aforementioned Gen 3 Pokemon are some of my favorite Pokemon, and the last thing I would want is for them to get a Mega Evolution that pigeonholes them into mediocrity and closes the door for further development.

Of course, my whole minimum BST gripe/constructive criticism also has a few exceptions. Mega Pokemon with abilities like Huge Power, Pure Power, or Fur Coat which doubles a stat, or abilities like Gale Wings or Stance Change which are clearly a cut above the rest, could have a BST far lower than 600 and still be comparable to other, high-BST Pokemon. But such abilities are extremely uncommon, and I think it would be disappointing and uncreative if multiple Pokemon were to be given some of these abilities rather than new ones. Already, I feel as though Tough Claws has been distributed to enough Mega Pokemon, for example.

If anything, I would prefer that many of the Generation 3 Pokemon get a plain old evolution next generation (as gaining one in ORAS is highly unlikely).

tl;dr: Mega Evolutions could both limit the development of certain Generation 3 Pokemon, and force them into a position of mediocrity. Again, this is definitely an issue IMO, and one that could grow as they increase the number of Mega Evolutions.

So here's my random list of non-Gen III Pokemon that I'd like to see get a Mega Evolution:

Pidgeot
Sandslash
Golduck (Finally be Water/Psychic)
Rapidash (Flaming Alicorn FTW)
Noctowl (Finally be Psychic/Flying)
Crobat
Steelix
Lumineon
Weavile
Yanmega (Just for the funny name)
Gigalith
Carracosta (Because Aerodactyl needs a Mega friend...)
Archeops (... or two)
Zoroark
Cinccino
Galvantula
Golurk
Bisharp (Make him more Kamen Rider-like)

These are just some I want, not necessarily ones that I think are likely or ones that need to exist (I don't play competitively). Hopefully at least a few of these will be in OR/AS.

And I just want to say, if we don't get a Primal Rayquaza, somebody is gonna be in some pain. :bash:

Those three in particular! Although Psychic/Flying isn't the best typing it would definitely fit Noctowl.

I fully support Mega Golurk. Make him Elec-Ghost, go full on Frankenstein.

Back
Top Bottom