• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I. Love. These. Megas!

First, my favorite and the most unexpected, Mega Lopunny!~ I don't get why people always have to make everything about her design overly sexy. It wasn't until I read the other thread that I even thought about her legs resembling ripped tights. In fact, what I like most about her Mega is that it took the pretty Playboy Bunny look and turned her into a fighter! As one of my favorites and my favorite Gen IV Pokemon, I love her to death and look forward to using her when ORAS come out!

Next, Mega Altaria also looks amazing! The design is completely fabulous! Got the typing we wanted and and an excellent ability to add to it! Again, another Mega I wanted and look forward to using!

Finally Mega Salamence looks as badass as usual! The smaller body and tucked in arms make perfect sense considering the look they have going for it and the ability! And it looks like it'll be soon trumping Mega Pinsir with having Aerialate and already being powerful as hell. Another one we wanted and got and it's great.

I'm actually most excited for Mega Lopunny. With that typing and ability, it will prove to be one heck of a counter for Aegislash. With Scrappy, it can hit it super effectively and Aegislash can only hit super effectively with a few moves. The only moves it's got that can hit it super effectively are Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Rock Smash, and Sacred Sword.
King's Shield = -2 Atk + half your health gone, since MLopunny's main STAB is HJK. Aegislash can then tank the second hit with ease and KO with Sacred Sword.

I'm actually most excited for Mega Lopunny. With that typing and ability, it will prove to be one heck of a counter for Aegislash. With Scrappy, it can hit it super effectively and Aegislash can only hit super effectively with a few moves. The only moves it's got that can hit it super effectively are Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Rock Smash, and Sacred Sword.
King's Shield = -2 Atk + half your health gone, since MLopunny's main STAB is HJK. Aegislash can then tank the second hit with ease and KO with Sacred Sword.

Nobody ever falls for King's Shield. You can easily play around it because it's so predictable. If Lopunny gets a 40 point increase to attack, 252+ Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 306-360 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 746-882 (230.2 - 272.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With 252 HP and a 20 point increase to defense, 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lopunny: 232-274 (69.4 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without 252 HP, 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny: 232-274 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Nobody ever falls for King's Shield. You can easily play around it because it's so predictable. If Lopunny gets a 40 point increase to attack, 252+ Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 306-360 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 746-882 (230.2 - 272.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With 252 HP and a 20 point increase to defense, 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lopunny: 232-274 (69.4 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without 252 HP, 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lopunny: 232-274 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

I can guarantee that nobody will run 252 HP or Adamant Lopunny's, it'll be 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe Jolly or something along those lines. Lopunny cannot switch in on Aegislash for fear of the Sacred Sword OHKO (I also doubt it'll get a 20 point Def increase, if they want it to be any good at all it'll be like +40 Spe + 50 Atk +10 Def) and prediction is a 2-way street - if I was playing an average player I could pull off the KS 90% of the time. Thus at best it'll be a soft check where it has the ability to beat Aegis if it gets in safe... Like Diggersby but worse because it'll be susceptible to KS and weaker. That's pretty much what MLopunny is: worse!diggersby.

Mega Salamence is gonna give OU a real kick to the arse. No one's gonna care what it looks like when it runs teams over with Aerialate Returns with Dragon Dance.

SubPunch might be another cool set on Lopunny, with it now getting STAB on Focus Punch.

Lopunny has such a huge movepool: Healing Wish, Mirror Coat, Magic Coat, Return, Quick Attack, Jump Kick, Baton Pass, Agility, Low Sweep, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Bounce, Power-Up Punch, Circle Throw, Cosmic Power, Encore, Fake Out, Focus Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Low Kick, Baby-Doll Eyes, Charm, Drain Punch, Endeavor and Heal Bell. Also Corocoro has it knowing High Jump Kick apparently.

It's obviously not going to use all of those well, if at all, but there's certainly enough to choose from. 3 Attacks + Healing Wish and SubPunch are two sets I want to try out. Real shame it doesn't learn U-turn.

That's pretty much what MLopunny is: worse!diggersby.

In regards to Aegislash, yeah, but on the whole definitely not. (I'm not saying it is better, but it's definitely not worse than Diggersby given some of its support moves and it's likely going to have really high speed.)

Well, I guess I just decided to add Altaria to my upgraded Sapphire team!

SubPunch might be another cool set on Lopunny, with it now getting STAB on Focus Punch.

Lopunny has such a huge movepool: Healing Wish, Mirror Coat, Magic Coat, Return, Quick Attack, Jump Kick, Baton Pass, Agility, Low Sweep, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Bounce, Power-Up Punch, Circle Throw, Cosmic Power, Encore, Fake Out, Focus Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Low Kick, Baby-Doll Eyes, Charm, Drain Punch, Endeavor and Heal Bell. Also Corocoro has it knowing High Jump Kick apparently.

It's obviously not going to use all of those well, if at all, but there's certainly enough to choose from. 3 Attacks + Healing Wish and SubPunch are two sets I want to try out. Real shame it doesn't learn U-turn.

That's pretty much what MLopunny is: worse!diggersby.

In regards to Aegislash, yeah, but on the whole definitely not. (I'm not saying it is better, but it's definitely not worse than Diggersby given some of its support moves and it's likely going to have really high speed.)

Oh yeah totally. I imagine in UU or wherever it ends up it's best set will be like (HJK/Drain Punch)/Frustration/Healing Wish/(Heal Bell/Quick Attack) and it obviously is unrivaled in the niche of fast offensive cleric.

Haha, Megamence looks like the Star Wars rebel symbol... I am SO naming that thing something related to Star Wars. Too bad it doesn't look more like an X-Wing... THAT would be awesome! Lopunny looks kind of weird, but that Pokemon has earned my respect the hard way in battling. Altaria... it's so fluffy it'll suffocate foes. Making it dragon/fairy will make it a great dragon destroyer, and now it's not 4x weak to Ice. This thing will be dangerous, I bet.

Oh, that reminds me! I've got a shiny level 1 Bagon sitting in my box! This is gonna be awesome!

Extremespeed would allow it to do some massive damage.

It would be STUPIDLY broken with Extreme Speed. I hope Game Freak aren't dumb enough to actually give it Extreme Speed.
That's the whole point! I feel if GF are going to go batshit crazy with the type combos or abilities given to already insane Pokemon, they might as well go the whole hog.

Given its new, clearly aerodynamic design and emphasis on Speed, it is highly likely that it will get Extreme Speed. Besides that, it doesn't really have anything to abuse Aerilate with besides Return/Frustration, Double Edge and Giga Impact. They might throw in Quick Attack and/or Feint, but I really want it to get Extreme Speed. That would be fun. Besides, it isn't like Game Freak hasn't made "broken" things before (Parental Bond, etc). So there isn't a big deal.
Eh, it's really unlikely it will get Extremespeed. For one, it's Dragonite's thing to be a Dragon/Flying pseudo with Extremespeed. Two, Extremespeed is, well, uh, extremely rare for a Pokemon to have. Even very fast, aerodynamic-looking Pokemon like Latios don't get it. Thirdly, giving Pokemon new moves mid-gen is rather uncommon. Sure, it happens, like Shiftry with Leaf Blade in this same game, but not often. And lastly, I think Gamefreak has a bit more common sense than that.

1. Um, as were signature moves that eventually lost their signature status. So that argument doesn't really do it for me.

2. While it is true it may be rare, one more Pokemon having access to it doesn't decrease its rarity among Pokemon. Also, see the aforementioned signature move argument.

3. It isn't uncommon. Ever since HGSS/Platinum, Pokemon often have their move-sets, egg moves and tutored moves increased between games. So it is very possible that Salamence would get such a move. And you say that about Game Freak when these are same people who gave the Squirtle line access to Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere to compliment it's Mega Evolution ability. Right. Seriously guys, it isn't that hard of a pill to swallow.

Eh, it's really unlikely it will get Extremespeed. For one, it's Dragonite's thing to be a Dragon/Flying pseudo with Extremespeed. Two, Extremespeed is, well, uh, extremely rare for a Pokemon to have. Even very fast, aerodynamic-looking Pokemon like Latios don't get it. Thirdly, giving Pokemon new moves mid-gen is rather uncommon. Sure, it happens, like Shiftry with Leaf Blade in this same game, but not often. And lastly, I think Gamefreak has a bit more common sense than that.

1. Um, as were signature moves that eventually lost their signature status. So that argument doesn't really do it for me.

2. While it is true it may be rare, one more Pokemon having access to it doesn't decrease its rarity among Pokemon. Also, see the aforementioned signature move argument.

3. It isn't uncommon. Ever since HGSS/Platinum, Pokemon often have their move-sets, egg moves and tutored moves increased between games. So it is very possible that Salamence would get such a move. And you say that about Game Freak when these are same people who gave the Squirtle line access to Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere to compliment it's Mega Evolution ability. Right. Seriously guys, it isn't that hard of a pill to swallow.

Nobody remembers anymore that Extreme Speed used to be Arcanine's signature move :lol: And Leaf Blade was Sceptile's, not Shiftry's. Shiftry still doesn't learn Leaf Blade at all.

Still, I'm not so sure about Salamence getting it.

Considering that Togekiss a special attacker has Extremespeed, something that barely makes sense, I can see Salamance getting it.

The new Megas are really great imo. Lopunny definitely came out of the left field but I was pleasantly surprised with its design and ability (possible addition to the Hoenn Dex?). Salamence isn't what I expected and the lack of "arms" is strange, but it looks cool regardless. On the other hand, Mega Altaria took the Ampharos route and personally, I love it.

Considering that Togekiss a special attacker has Extremespeed, something that barely makes sense, I can see Salamance getting it.

The non-legendary pokémon that learn it are Dragonite, Arcanine, Lucario and Togekiss. Arcanine is labeled as the "legendary pokémon", Dragonite has mythical traits, and both Lucario and Togekiss are aura users. And none of them is particularly fast. Seems like the strike itself is physical but the priority is tied to mystic/supernatural powers (if not aura) rather than raw power and speed. So I don't see a fast pokémon getting Extreme Speed just for being fast.

Mega Altaria is perhaps one of the better Megas Game Freak has ever produced from a competitive standpoint. Completely changing its less-than-stellar Dragon/Flying typing to the awesome Dragon/Fairy makes it both an offensive and defensive powerhouse.

Offensive:
- Fairy hits Dark, Dragon, and Fighting super-effectively, hits Poison, Steel, and Fire (which can EASILY be rectified with Earthquake) non super-effectively, and hits everything else neutrally.
- Dragon just hits itself super-effectively, hits everything else but Fairy (immune) and Steel (resist) neutrally.

Defensive:
- Dragon makes it weak to Ice and Fairy.
- Fairy makes it weak to Poison, Steel, and Fairy, but immune to Dragon.
- Losing Flying typing makes it take neutral from Rock and Ground, and NFE damage from Electric and Dark.

Mega Altaria has the same number of weaknesses as Altaria, but:
- Replaces the 4x Ice to a 2x Ice
- Loses a Rock (and Stealth Rock) weakness
- Gets a Dragon immunity
- Becomes weak to Poison and Steel now (which can easily be countered with Earthquake)
- Keeps a Fairy weakness but presumably gets a buff on both defensive sides

Mega Altaria becomes better both offensively and defensively after the type change.

Fairy is neutral against itself, so it only keeps a 2x weakness to Fairy.

What's wrong with Mega-Salamence looking like a spaceship :confused: That's about the best way they could take.

Arceus knows that Hunter J would've rocked it! *sniffle*

I recently realized Mega Salamence does have arms, they're just a little smaller and tucked in. Same for its legs. So I can now like its design more and its large wings are totally a thing for me. It is now a menace to the skies!

I do think it will be able to learn Extreme Speed now, as I do think move tutors will be in ORAS so it will even more live up to its speed and offense.

Could there be a new Mega revealed at this year's Worlds Championship? I mean, the three revealed in this month's CoroCoro are great, but I expected far more.

Fairy is neutral against itself, so it only keeps a 2x weakness to Fairy.

Fixed.

Could there be a new Mega revealed at this year's Worlds Championship?

Could be. We're also getting an ORAS video from Masuda at Gamescom, so that has potential to be another Mega too.

Back
Top Bottom