• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I hope they don't consider Megas on fans' demands... who am I kidding, 2/3 of them are solely because of popularity rather than necessity ...
If necessity was used we'd have mega dunsparce!

The more they slap on Megas to more Pokemon so randomly, the more I think the idea of Mega Evolution starts getting ridiculous. I really don't get it anymore. And it's such a shame because some of the Megas are really good aesthetically and you can't even have them on Amie.

I apologize, but seeing Mega Slowbro was kind of pushing it. I mean I can't understand the logic behind it.

The more they slap on Megas to more Pokemon so randomly, the more I think the idea of Mega Evolution starts getting ridiculous. I really don't get it anymore. And it's such a shame because some of the Megas are really good aesthetically and you can't even have them on Amie.

I apologize, but seeing Mega Slowbro was kind of pushing it. I mean I can't understand the logic behind it.

Considering you're only really allowed one Mega on your team, megas do have their downside. And with so many Pokemon getting megas it'll be less likely to have a evolution so the pokemon is usable.
So my point is giving megas to power up pokemon actually sorta ruins them as you can't have all the powered up Pokemon on your team. Megas may be strong but they are just ability and stat powerhouses so can't make them very threatening by putting choice specs on them. Of course there are some megas that are way too powerful despite not being able to hold items.

Considering you're only really allowed one Mega on your team, megas do have their downside. And with so many Pokemon getting megas it'll be less likely to have a evolution so the pokemon is usable.
So my point is giving megas to power up pokemon actually sorta ruins them as you can't have all the powered up Pokemon on your team. Megas may be strong but they are just ability and stat powerhouses so can't make them very threatening by putting choice specs on them. Of course there are some megas that are way too powerful despite not being able to hold items.
This being my massive pet peeve at the moment. They could do so much with an ordinary evolution to unevolved Pokemons. I used to be neutral with everything about this. But the latest Mega looks absurd and absolutely ridiculous. It looked like it was done in less than a few minutes with no effort whatsoever. And not to mention Mega Audino didn't have to be a mega. It could've been an evolution on its own.

I'd rather love a Pokemon for what it is than what it could be temporarily.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mega Evolution is yet to be properly explained. So pretty much it's a gimmick.

This being my massive pet peeve at the moment. They could do so much with an ordinary evolution to unevolved Pokemons. I used to be neutral with everything about this. But the latest Mega looks absurd and absolutely ridiculous. It looked like it was done in less than a few minutes with no effort whatsoever. And not to mention Mega Audino didn't have to be a mega. It could've been an evolution on its own.

I'd rather love a Pokemon for what it is than what it could be temporarily.
I'm split on this one. While on one hand, I would rather some Pokemon have regular evolutions (Audino and Mawile for example), there are some Pokemon where I think that it is fine (such as Lopunny or Houndoom). I think that having already evolved Pokemon gaining more stats at the expense that it is (having to use the item slot for the Mega Stone) is more than fair, and a concept I rather like. It brings more strategy to Pokemon as a whole, it opens up more options and you don't have to do it. That is why I don't mind Mega Evolution.

That being said...some of the designs could be better.

Mega Lapras Water/Dragon, i never understood why it is Ice type to begin with and Water/Dragon is a far better type combo than Water/Ice. Can't think of a good ability for it though.

Actually, I think Mega Machamp would lose two arms (thus giving its strikes more focus and concentrated power). And actually look more like a stereotypical superhero with enhanced stats (much higher speed etc.)

Some of you were talking about Megas losing a type, if we ever get MGolem it should lose it's Ground typing and gain St. Def, I'd like for it to get Solid Rock ad well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mega Golem become pure Rock either but losing STAB Earthquake and a useful immunity is a big negative despite the loss of 4x weaknesses. If not Solid Rock, then Regenerator could be a good ability for it.

While we're on the topic of Rocks, I would love Mega Gigalith to become Rock/Electric based around electromagnetism. I imagine its legs would fold up/around into its body and it would float, looking a little like the floating stones in Chargestone Cave in Unova. The red parts of its body would turn a glowing yellow, emitting sparks and it would gain the ability Levitate. I'd add a big boost to its Sp.Atk, with lesser boosts to its Attack, Defence and Sp.Def.

526MS.png
rock.gif
electric.gif

Levitate
85 HP / 145 Atk (+10) / 150 Def (+20) / 110 Sp.Atk (+50) / 100 Sp.Def (+20) / 25 Speed
New moves: Discharge, Charge Beam, Thunder Wave, Wild Charge, Dazzling Gleam

I wouldn't mind seeing Mega Golem become pure Rock either but losing STAB Earthquake and a useful immunity is a big negative despite the loss of 4x weaknesses. If not Solid Rock, then Regenerator could be a good ability for it.

While we're on the topic of Rocks, I would love Mega Gigalith to become Rock/Electric based around electromagnetism. I imagine its legs would fold up/around into its body and it would float, looking a little like the floating stones in Chargestone Cave in Unova. The red parts of its body would turn a glowing yellow, emitting sparks and it would gain the ability Levitate. I'd add a big boost to its Sp.Atk, with lesser boosts to its Attack, Defence and Sp.Def.

526MS.png
rock.gif
electric.gif

Levitate
85 HP / 145 Atk (+10) / 150 Def (+20) / 110 Sp.Atk (+50) / 100 Sp.Def (+20) / 25 Speed
New moves: Discharge, Charge Beam, Thunder Wave, Wild Charge, Dazzling Gleam

Wouldn't Rock/Electric+Levitate be more fitting for Probopass, since it has that magnetic compass theme going for it? Not that I disagree with what you're saying. The changes made to Gigalith are interesting.

I think Probopass is fine as it is. I was trying to find a way to make Gigalith useful and at the same time interesting. Plus we've seen a few Megas that change their original intention like Lopunny and Pinsir so it would be similar to them.

Mega Lapras Water/Dragon, i never understood why it is Ice type to begin with and Water/Dragon is a far better type combo than Water/Ice. Can't think of a good ability for it though.

Yeah. Water/Dragon would be great for Lapras imo. Only two weaknesses, first of all. And it does learn Dragon Pulse iirc. As for an ability, I'd suggest maybe something like Drizzle or maybe even Lightning Rod for something more interesting, maybe giving it a horn on its head or something. Otherwise, I'd maybe suggest a Dragon variant of Pixilate or maybe even Refrigerate.

I'd rather a Mega Golem become pure Ground-type. As @Zeb; mentioned, it would lose the STAB Earthquake and also because we already have Gigalith as pure Rock-type.

I really hope that Mega Lopunny's stat increase is something like +60 Attack/+10 Defence/+30 Speed. That would make its base stat total 65/136/94/54/96/135. I originally thought about a +10 Sp. Defence boost and a +20 increase to speed, but it having +30 will allow Mega Lopunny to outspeed Mega Gengar, which is a problem at the moment.

Mega Hydreigon Steel/Dragon, its design would be the originally intended design - cyborg dragon with tank aspects. I'm sure one of the reasons they made Dark weak to Fairy was because of Hyreigon, but i don't care. Its ability would not be Levitate though, having only one weakness would make it too strong.

Adding to the discussion of a hypothetical Rock/Electric Gigalith w/ Levitate, nothing from Game Freak seems to suggest the case.

Gigalith is more likely to actually be pure Rock-type, or even Rock/Grass-type.

Usually when Game Freak creates a Mega Evolution, they focus on improving one part of the Pokemon's design; the nature of which is based on a PokeDex entry (i.e. Gardevoir).

Gigalith's Dex Entry (from White):

"The solar rays it absorbs are processed in its energy core and fired as a ball of light."

Gigalith can also learn Solar Beam through TM, which is very unusual as most of its other attacks are Rock-, Ground-, and Normal-type. That move hints at Gigalith's dex entry, as neither of Gigalith's pre-evolutions can learn Solar Beam.

If Mega Gigalith becomes a thing, Solar Power seems to be a very likely ability for it. Gigalith already absorbs solar energy in its core, and the Mega Evolution's energy will probably focus on that body part.

Mega Hydreigon Steel/Dragon, its design would be the originally intended design - cyborg dragon with tank aspects. I'm sure one of the reasons they made Dark weak to Fairy was because of Hyreigon, but i don't care. Its ability would not be Levitate though, having only one weakness would make it too strong.

The Koffing line and Rotom-W have one weakness too with Levitate; the ability alone does not make the hypothetical Mega a threat.

The fact that your hypothetical "Mega Hydreigon" turns into part-Steel, reducing its weaknesses from 5 to 1 (with Levitate), and access to STAB Flash Cannon (on top of its 125+ Special Attack) makes it dangerous.

Last edited:

The Koffing line and Rotom-W have one weakness too with Levitate; the ability alone does not make the hypothetical Mega a threat.

The fact that your hypothetical "Mega Hydreigon" turns into part-Steel, reducing its weaknesses from 5 to 1 (with Levitate), and access to STAB Flash Cannon (on top of its 125+ Special Attack) makes it dangerous.
I know that just making it Steel/Dragon and the extra 100 stat points will make it a dangerous threat, but i feel removing Levitate to make it weak to Ground would make it more balanced, not by much but a little more balanced.

Adding to the discussion of a hypothetical Rock/Electric Gigalith w/ Levitate, nothing from Game Freak seems to suggest the case.

And yet nothing about Pinsir suggests a Flying type but look what they did with it. So this is a moot point, and they could do whatever they want with it if they choose to. They could even make it a Fairy! :p

Also maybe it's just me but Steel/Dragon Mega Hydreigon is on the level of Sap Sipper Swampert at this point, meaning I'm just kinda bored hearing so many people suggest it. I'd rather they kept it Dark/Dragon personally.

And yet nothing about Pinsir suggests a Flying type but look what they did with it.

Pinsir is based off a species of stag beetle that have limited flying abilities, so that is where Game Freak got the idea of a type change.

Although you do have a point that move-sets or PokeDex entries could be unrelated to a Mega's type change.

Pinsir can't learn Flying-type attacks through level-up, TM, or breeding. None of its Dex entries mention Pinsir flying.

Back
Top Bottom