• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Mega Mismagius. Ghost/fairy or, less appealing to me, ghost/psychic. But if it were fairy I'm sure they would give it pixilate because they're so predictable.

I'm still waiting for us Butterfree to Mega Evolve. Either Bug/Psychic since we can use powerful Psychic attacks or Bug/Fairy since we have a humanoid appearance and we're adorable. :p And have an -ilate ability for Bug. Can you imagine a STAB Giga Impact or Return?

Okay, so I made a mistake. For some reason I thought Will o Wisp was around from the beginning. But still, point stands that ninetales would be a better fit for Fire/Ghost. Maybe they would adapt the shiny coloring for it?

A Fire/Ghost Ninetales would be cool. In terms of abilities, I think that it should get something other than Drought, to differentiate it from Charizard-Y. I think either Regenerator or a Water-absorbing ability (hoping for the latter, though, even though it might not match Ninetales' nature).

Thanks for reading.

Fire/Ghost Ninetales with No Guard would be amazing. 100% Inferno.

Trace, Regenerator, Cursed Body, Magic Guard, Magic Bounce (doh) would be more fitting more for a Fire/Ghost Mega Ninetales imo.

Fire/Ghost Ninetales with No Guard would be amazing. 100% Inferno.

Oooh...I like that idea. 100% Inferno...mwahaha. Do it GF!

But, I do agree that something like Cursed Body would make more sense. Actually, Cursed Body makes really good sense. Iirc, wasn't Ninetales' cursed tails a big plot point of the RB Mystery Dungeon games?

I also think Fire/Ghost is a strong possibility for Mega Ninetales. Vulpix can learn plenty of Ghost-type moves: Hex, Spite (through egg move), Confuse Ray, and Grudge. In the Yellow dex entry, Ninetales was said to be reincarnated from the spirits of nine sages.

In addition, Vulpix (or Ninetales) are also found in very spiritual/haunted places in the games:
- Routes 36 and 37 (outside Ecruteak City, which houses the Burned Tower)
- Mt. Pyre
- Route 209 (which houses the Lost and Hallowed Towers)
- Route 214 (which houses the secret Sendoff Spring where Giratina is found)
- Abundant Shrine

Cursed Body is also very appropriate. Many dex entries state that Ninetales can inflict curses onto people that grasp their tails.

As much as the type change makes sense, I don't want Mega Ninetales to gain the Ghost-type from a competitive standpoint.

Yes, it gets two immunities, but it also gets two extra weaknesses and an increased susceptibility to some very common attacking moves: Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, Knock Off, and Shadow Ball. Even without Ghost-type, Mega Ninetales is already pretty frail as it stands, with its 73/75+/100+ defenses and weaknesses to Ground-, Water-, and Rock-type moves.

Finally, Mega Ninetales has to take up a Mega Slot that could have been used on a different Pokemon. Chandelure already exists as a powerful Fire/Ghost special attacker, and can get even stronger or faster with a Choice item. Mega Ninetales would be severely restricted in this regard. Mega Ninetales will probably not get as much (base) Special Attack to equal Chandelure's, and Chandelure already has the speed advantage with a Scarf.

Last edited:
Megas I'd like to see:
* Mega Lanturn
* Mega Cradily
* Mega Dunsparce (obviously)

As much as the type change makes sense, I don't want Mega Ninetales to gain the Ghost-type from a competitive standpoint.

Yes, it gets two immunities, but it also gets two extra weaknesses and an increased susceptibility to some very common attacking moves: Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, Knock Off, and Shadow Ball. Even without Ghost-type, Mega Ninetales is already pretty frail as it stands, with its 73/75+/100+ defenses and weaknesses to Ground-, Water-, and Rock-type moves.

In addition, Mega Ninetales has to take up a Mega Slot that could have been used on a different Pokemon. Chandelure already exists as a powerful Fire/Ghost special attacker, and can get even stronger or faster with a Choice item. Mega Ninetales would be severely restricted in this regard. Mega Ninetales will probably not get as much (base) Special Attack to equal Chandelure's, and Chandelure already has the speed advantage with a Scarf.

What about Fairy/Ghost Mega Ninetales?

What about Fairy/Ghost Mega Ninetales?

I can't see Game Freak removing Ninetales' Fire-type, and the Fairy-type doesn't make as much sense as Fire/Ghost or even Fire/Psychic.

Fairy/Ghost is what I would like to see on Mega Mismagius, however. Mismagius is based on the banshee, a fairy-like spirit.

Iirc, wasn't Ninetales' cursed tails a big plot point of the RB Mystery Dungeon games?

Indeed it was~ #MysteryDungeon Though, in my opinion, Cursed Body would be a pretty underwhelming ability for her. It doesn't even activate all the time, making it pretty situation compared to Drought. Grudge can pretty much serve as Ninetales' connection to curses. Speaking of, Fire/Ghost Mega Ninetales could get the Ghost-type effects of Curse.

Say, what does everyone think of getting a Mega Shedinja? I for one think that it could be a good opportunity to become the first Mega Evolution to get an HP increase, given that regular Shedinja only has a 1 HP total regardless of how many levels or EVs it gets. That being said, here is my proposal for Mega Shedinja:

Mega Shedinja
Type: Ghost/Normal
Ability: Wonder Guard
Stat Modifications: +55 HP, +40 ATK, +5 DEF, +20 SP. DEF, -20 SPD
New Stat Spread (BST): 56/130/50/30/50/20 (336)

I suppose I need to explain why I chose to give Shedinja a boost in HP and keep Wonder Guard. First of all, although only super-effective attacks can hit Shedinja, its ability can be replaced or suppressed with several moves, meaning that Shedinja would instantly faint from any move due to this. Secondly, since Wonder Guard doesn't prevent damage from status conditions or weather, the poor things doesn't stand a chance against that since, again, it'll faint instantly. Lastly, although I am tempted keep Shedinja at 1 HP with Sturdy replacing Wonder Guard, I decided that seemed a bit overpowered since one would NEED to inflict indirect damage or suppress its ability in order to defeat Mega Shedinja. So, giving more HP to Shedinja while keeping Wonder Guard was the best option I could think of.

As for the typing of Ghost/Normal, I thought that the Bug-type hindered the Pokémon more than it helped, and replacing it with a Normal-type would also give Mega Shedinja an immunity to Ghost-type attacks. This also adds the benefit at reducing the amount of weaknesses. While I could have made it Normal/Ghost, the whole Ghost motive is much more prominent, wereas adding the Normal type was merely a defensive measure. Removing the Bug-type from Mega Shedinja could also make since concept-wise, as although Shedinja was merely a discarded bug shell before, it itself isn't the actual bug. Therefore, getting rid of the Bug-type signifies that Mega Shedinja distances itself from its old life as being part of a bug, and transitions to a new one where it becomes filled with life. In fact, I suppose that the life bit would also be a good explanation for it obtaining the Normal-type.

Now, I'll talk about the stats. I already explained why I gave Mega Shedinja an HP boost, so I'd rather not get too repetitive. For the Defenses however, I boosted both of them to 50 due to the following: Shedinja's already kind of frail, so I wanted to give its Mega some kind of defensive boost to compliment its HP boost. However, seeing as the typing I gave Mega Shedinja would really only give it one weakness without Foresight or Oder Sleuth, I didn't want to make its defenses too high. That would cause Mega Shedinja to become too broken. The reason that I subtracted 20 speed was to give Shedinja a bigger boost in HP. Plus, no one really uses Shedinja for speed anyways. Finally, as for the Attack, I had a few points left over for some offensive boost. I chose to use those points for Shedinja's attack stat since its way more physical than special, and giving its Mega a 130 attack stat would really help increase its usage.

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Say, what does everyone think of getting a Mega Shedinja? I for one think that it could be a good opportunity to become the first Mega Evolution to get an HP increase, given that regular Shedinja only has a 1 HP total regardless of how many levels or EVs it gets. That being said, here is my proposal for Mega Shedinja:

Mega Shedinja
Type: Ghost/Normal
Ability: Wonder Guard
New Stat Spread (BST): 56/130/50/30/50/20 (336)

I suppose I need to explain why I chose to give Shedinja a boost in HP and keep Wonder Guard.

-removed-

Now, I'll talk about the stats. I already explained why I gave Mega Shedinja an HP boost, so I'd rather not get too repetitive. For the Defenses however, I boosted both of them to 50 due to the following: Shedinja's already kind of frail, so I wanted to give its Mega some kind of defensive boost to compliment its HP boost. However, seeing as the typing I gave Mega Shedinja would really only give it one weakness without Foresight or Oder Sleuth, I didn't want to make its defenses too high. That would cause Mega Shedinja to become too broken. The reason that I subtracted 20 speed was to give Shedinja a bigger boost in HP. Plus, no one really uses Shedinja for speed anyways. Finally, as for the Attack, I had a few points left over for some offensive boost. I chose to use those points for Shedinja's attack stat since its way more physical than special, and giving its Mega a 130 attack stat would really help increase its usage.

So, what do you guys think?

i freaking love shedinja it's one of my favorites evar. and i pray it gets a mega

but i think what's more likely to happen is a boost in attack and speed and the rest left pretty much the same. i'd love it to get that HP boost too, keeping wonder guard. and while it doesnt have the best type combination I see it either becoming JUST Ghost or [probably] staying bug/ghost. the only concept i can think of of a Ghost-Bug would be it's spirit leaving the shell making it faster or more powerful OR the shell growing more crazy and i dunno buggy. Wonderguard and Shedinja are pretty gimmicky so it'll be hard to do anything significantly different.

UGH but i would just DIE if it happened. love shedinja so muchhhhhhhhhhhh

ugh i love it so much though.

Just think, Mega Dunsparce with added groung type and Sand Stream.

Tyranitar and Hippowdon would still be better. Mega Dunsparce would need an amazing ability; Sand Stream isn't it.

I'm like a broken record with this, and I know it. But seriously... Bug/Fairy Butterfree with a massive Speed and Special Attack boost and Infestate (the Bug version of the -ilate abilities). Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Fairy does away with Flying's weakness to Electric and reduces the 4x Rock weakness to 2x. So the only dangers would be Flying, Fire, Rock, Poison and Steel.

I know that it probably wouldn't work, but I'd like to see a Mega Unown. The poor things have next to nothing going for them. :(

Of course, I realize that no amount of stat redistribution could help, even with +100 BST.

Mega Shedinja

Unfortunately, an HP increase doesn't seem to be a possibility. No other Mega has received one, possibly to avoid something like the Pomeg Glitch. I'd love a Mega Shedinja too, but...
Perhaps its defensive stats and Special Attack could be whittled down to 1 each? Coupled with the +100 BST from Mega Evolving, that gives it maybe 202 points to be invested in Attack and Speed.

But that'll totally defeat the point of Shedinja... Maybe a mega Ninjask but I completely doubt mega Shedinja would get hp boosts.

Mega Fire/Ghost Ninetales should have an advanced version of Cursed Body. That, or Shadow Tag. Something that accentuates it's new Ghost typing and ghastly appearance. Or it's new ghostly powers could give it the ability to Levitate. #imagination

How about Mega Girafarig and Mega Stantler, as a version exclusive pair? Starting with Girafarig, its back half would take over, and it would become Dark/Psychic type. It would probably have Strong Jaw, and its movepool would be adjusted to give it more biting moves.

Stantler is where it gets kinda iffy, but what I'm thinking is Normal/Ghost type. Stantler learns a few ghost type moves, and it's designed after a deer scarer, so clearly it's got the spookiness factor. As for ability, I haven't thought it out too much, but Shadow Tag seems like a good choice.

As it stands, Girafarig has lower base stats than Stantler, but only slightly. This could easily be fixed by a +10 boost to attack or special attack, or better yet, +5 to both.

Back
Top Bottom