• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I didn't pay much attention to the story in XY, but couldn't it simply be that Mega Stones are stones are created by the energy from any legendary? Xerneas/Yveltal powered the stones in Kalos, so I imagine that all it will be here is that Groudon/Kyogre (potentially Rayquaza too) will be responsible for the stones in Hoenn.

It was a primal age, early in the world’s history. The natural world was overflowing with energy. That energy granted Groudon and Kyogre an overwhelming power. Seeking ever more of that energy for themselves, the two clashed again and again, and their battles cast the people and Pokémon of Hoenn into great danger. Brimming with the overwhelming power granted to them by nature’s energy, their transformation was named "Primal Reversion" by later people. And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre...

Primal Groudon and Kyogre's story also heavily pertains towards energies too. Seems likely to me that all the story will be is how Primal Groudon and Kyogre had so much energy they infused a bunch of stones with their legendary strength/power/energy. IIRC Game Freak did say they want Mega Evolutions to be on par with legendaries? So if they wanted them to be seen as similar to legendaries it makes sense that they'd make it so the legendary Pokemon are all responsible for making the stones using their energy.

Makes me wonder whether, when Primal Groudon + Kyogre reappear during the main story, that's the reason a whole bunch of new stones appear. So there will be the 'old' stones from Xerneas/Yveltal's energy + the "primal age" all those years ago, but then Primal Groudon and Kyogre are responsible for a whole new bunch during ORAS' storyline. Doesn't make sense that the stones weren't in XY, but they don't seem to be caring about the timeline given Mega Evolution was supposed to be new in XY yet here it is earlier in the timeline anyway.

I didn't pay much attention to the story in XY, but couldn't it simply be that Mega Stones are stones are created by the energy from any legendary?
Yes, but I hope that this isn't something that will be dealt with in every region from now on. It would get old.

Makes me wonder whether, when Primal Groudon + Kyogre reappear during the main story, that's the reason a whole bunch of new stones appear. So there will be the 'old' stones from Xerneas/Yveltal's energy + the "primal age" all those years ago, but then Primal Groudon and Kyogre are responsible for a whole new bunch during ORAS' storyline. Doesn't make sense that the stones weren't in XY, but they don't seem to be caring about the timeline given Mega Evolution was supposed to be new in XY yet here it is earlier in the timeline anyway.
It was never supposed to be new in XY. Sycamore just pretended that he didn't know much about it, but it was later revealed that Mega Evolution had been around since ancient times.

If Groudon and Kyogre are responsible for the creation of the ORAS Mega Stones, then it stands to reason why said stones aren't available in Kalos even years later. Likewise, some Mega Stones may remain exclusive to XY, with the in-universe explanation being that they were created by Xerneas and Yveltal rather than the Weather trio.

Mega Drifblim? Now that would be a baller Mega to have, no problems with that at all. Mega-Flygon is looking less likely, and I'm getting irked.

GF most likely realized that we technicaly already have a Mega Flygon.
Eh, M-Garchomp could be different enough for it to be useful. And anyway, theoretically wouldn't that also make a theoretical M-Zygarde useless as well?

150px-130Gyarados-Mega.png
150px-319Sharpedo-Mega.png

150px-308Medicham-Mega.png
150px-475Gallade-Mega.png

In any case, Mega Flygon would probably be fast and really different to Garchomp and Mega Garchomp. (It still needs Swords Dance/Dragon Dance/Quiver Dance imo.)

I don't see Mega Flygon happening ORAS though. We already have Salamence, Altaria, Lati@s and Rayquaza being Gen III Dragon Megas, along with Sceptile gaining the type too. If Flygon were to get a Mega that would make all Hoenn Dragons have Megas at the same time, which I don't see them doing. It'll probably happen in Z.

I'm confused as to how you reached that conclusion. Let's look at the full quote:

Professor Sycamore said:
Let's talk about Mega Stones briefly.
My theory is that they're special stones irradiated by the light--the energy of the Legendary Pokémon Yveltal/Xerneas--fired from the ultimate weapon 3,000 years ago. And that's what I think they are. It's even possible that stones like Fire Stones were what turned into these Mega Stones.
He clearly says that he thinks Xerneas/Yveltal's energy (which was fired from the ultimate weapon) turned some special stones (possibly regular evolutionary stones) into Mega Stones. That's an origin theory if I ever saw one.

It's possible that the Weather trio or just Rayquaza are alleged to have created the Mega Stones in Hoenn. But Kalos has its own lore.

Oops, I came to the wrong conclusion I thought with him saying irradiate (expose) that he meant that the stones are exposed because of the energy! Haha, my mistake!

Supposedly Get TV will have important information regarding Rayquaza on October 5th.

I can't see it being anything new, but there's always a chance. Wonder if we'll get a glimpse of Rayquaza's mega evolution like we did with Mega Mewtwo Y?

150px-130Gyarados-Mega.png
150px-319Sharpedo-Mega.png

150px-308Medicham-Mega.png
150px-475Gallade-Mega.png

In any case, Mega Flygon would probably be fast and really different to Garchomp and Mega Garchomp. (It still needs Swords Dance/Dragon Dance/Quiver Dance imo.)

I don't see Mega Flygon happening ORAS though. We already have Salamence, Altaria, Lati@s and Rayquaza being Gen III Dragon Megas, along with Sceptile gaining the type too. If Flygon were to get a Mega that would make all Hoenn Dragons have Megas at the same time, which I don't see them doing. It'll probably happen in Z.
Eh, ok you got me there, but Sharpedo and Gallade have some differences to Gyarados and Medicham, while Flygon is an inferior version of Garchomp.

The Mega Fygon i want is Bug/Dragon with Quiver Dance and Bug Buzz, which would make it a special attacker. I know we have some special oriented Dragons, but we have more physical oriented Dragons and i'm getting tired of those, so another wouldn't hurt and it would help Flygon get out of Chomp's shadow.

Eh, ok you got me there, but Sharpedo and Gallade have some differences to Gyarados and Medicham, while Flygon is an inferior version of Garchomp.

Well given they have differences, there's no reason to believe that they wouldn't make Mega Flygon different to Garchomp/Mega Garchomp.

If they do leave it Ground/Dragon (which I actually would prefer) then 80 HP / 130 Atk (+30) / 80 Def / 120 Sp.Atk (+40) / 80 Sp.Def / 130 Speed (+30) maybe? It would differentiate it enough (it's also vaguely Mega Manectric-like, barring the much higher Attack). And they could also give it Dragon Dance + Quiver Dance through egg moves or something (at this point, with Swords Dance being a TM, it's probably never going to happen). Give it Tinted Lens or Arena Trap and it'd really unique.

I don't see it becoming Bug/Dragon, or, rather, I'd prefer if they didn't. Bug/Dragon is a much worse typing than Ground/Dragon, so being unique won't really help Flygon there. Also Flygon is the spirit of the desert, so hopefully that's enough for them to keep it Ground. If they really have to make it part Bug then I'd prefer Ground/Bug over Bug/Dragon personally.

As much as I enjoyed seeing Sceptile, Gallade and Altaria getting megas my favorite so far has been Lopunny. I love its scrappy ability and it's looks. Gonna have one on my team for sure!

Also Flygon is the spirit of the desert, so hopefully that's enough for them to keep it Ground.
Not to mention that it's the primary type. I believe that the only Pokémon that have had their primary type changed upon evolution or a retcon are Azurill, Swablu (evolution) and the Clefairy, Togepi and Snubbull lines (Fairy retcon); in all five cases Normal was replaced by a more fitting type. Mega Evolution shouldn't be an exception to this.

Last edited:
Not to mention that it's the primary type. I believe that the only Pokémon that have had their primary type changed upon evolution or a retcon are Azurill, Swablu (evolution) and the Clefairy, Togepi and Snubbull lines (Fairy retcon); in all five cases Normal was replaced by a more fitting type. Mega Evolution shouldn't be an exception to this.

Actually, Azurill kept its normal type... it is normal/fairy now instead of just normal

And Eevee through evolution, but I guess Eevee is a special case in itself.

I said by evolution or a retcon. It loses its primary type upon evolving.

OH... nevermind I didn't think that through... (I do wonder why they even made Azurill a normal type from the beginning... it really should've just been water)

I said by evolution or a retcon. It loses its primary type upon evolving.

OH... nevermind I didn't think that through... (I do wonder why they even made Azurill a normal type from the beginning... it really should've just been water)

Well the entire Marill line are based off of rodents (Azurill + Marill are mice, while Azumarill is a rabbit) and while Azumarill is based off of a water rabbit, which is a rodent that lives on river banks, Azurill is based off of a regular baby mouse. Normal type tends to be the type of regular "animal type" Pokémon, explaining Azurill's typing.

Well the entire Marill line are based off of rodents (Azurill + Marill are mice, while Azumarill is a rabbit) and while Azumarill is based off of a water rabbit, which is a rodent that lives on river banks, Azurill is based off of a regular baby mouse. Normal type tends to be the type of regular "animal type" Pokémon, explaining Azurill's typing.
There is no such thing as a water rabbit in real life. Did you mean that Marill is based on a water rat? Either way, Azurill is fairly similar to Marill. I'd say that the main difference is that the former can only float rather than actually swim, although it does learn Surf for whatever reason.

Just a thought about if we do get a Mega Milotic is what it's typing will be.
Milotic is said to be Gyarados' counter part, would a Water/Fairy or Water/Psychic make sense? As one would overcome Mega Gyarados and the other would be weak to Mega Gyarados.

Back
Top Bottom