• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I love Mega Rayquaza's design so much. Majestic and spectacular. Delta Stream certainly opens a lot of possibilities.

I guess this is what they meant when they said that OR/AS would change the competitive metagame - weather moves/teams would see an increase in usage. And you can guarantee they will.

When I hard Mega Rayquaza had pincers I expected the worse.

IT'S BLOODY BEAUTIFUL AND AWESOME! The whole streamers thing it's got going on is amazing! I wonder what a shiny one would look like...
And note how it's a mega and not a primal, I'm guessing this is so it gets the switch in for Air Lock and then mega evolves to get its ability. I wonder what Dragon Ascent actually does... looks very pretty though!

I guess this is what they meant when they said that OR/AS would change the competitive metagame - weather moves/teams would see an increase in usage. And you can guarantee they will.
Considering that the Weather trio are banned from rated battles and official tournaments, their new abilities won't affect the standard metagame.

Note that Delta Stream doesn't negate Primordial Sea or Desolate Land. Air Lock does: "Air Lock cancels out all weather-condition effects for all of the Pokémon in a battle as long as Rayquaza remains in the battle."

If you look on the official website, it shows that Delta Stream actually negates Primordial Sea and Desolate Land.
http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/pokemon/legendary-pokemon/mega-rayquaza

It's in the picture captions so it's easy to miss.

If you look on the official website, it shows that Delta Stream actually negates Primordial Sea and Desolate Land.
http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/pokemon/legendary-pokemon/mega-rayquaza

It's in the picture captions so it's easy to miss.

Only when Mega Rayquaza is sent out afterwards (while Desolate Land and Primordial Sea are active).

If Primal Groudon/Kyogre were sent out AFTER Mega Rayquaza activated its weather condition, the Primal Pokemon's weather would override Mega Rayquaza's.

Air Lock, on the other hand, prevents any weather condition from going up regardless of when the Pokemon was sent out (before or after Rayquaza).

I wonder what Dragon Ascent actually does... looks very pretty though!

Dragon Ascent is a one-turn move. One of Rayquaza's stats (don't know which one) is lowered after it is used.

Last edited:
Mega Rayqaza is so overpowered, mewtwo has been outclassed

Only when Mega Rayquaza is sent out afterwards (while Desolate Land and Primordial Sea are active).

If Primal Groudon/Kyogre were sent out AFTER Mega Rayquaza activated its weather condition, the Primal Pokemon's weather would override Mega Rayquaza's.

Air Lock, on the other hand, prevents any weather condition from going up regardless of when the Pokemon was sent out (before or after Rayquaza).

Dragon Ascent is a one-turn move. One of Rayquaza's stats (don't know which one) is lowered after it is used.

Really? 'Cause the official site shows Sandstorm and Drought failing while Primal Rayquaza is out.

My two cents on Mega Rayquaza's possible stat boosts:
HP: 105
ATK: 180 (+30)
DEF: 100 (+10)
SP ATK: 180 (+30)
SP DEF: 100 (+10)
SPEED: 115 (+20)

Since for sure Mega Rayquaza will be banned from life, I wish this new weather can be made for another Pokémon through a move like Rain Dance, etc. A lot of Flying Pokémon would thank it, another ones would become a deadly threat.

I think a Delta Stream-like weather move accessible to other Flying-types would ruin the balance of the game.

Say this hypothetical weather move is Flying-type and Talonflame gets it. Talonflame has access to priority weather, and its weaknesses are reduced from 3 (1 double and 2 single) to 2 single. If either player sends out a Flying-type like Staraptor, it would essentially have no weaknesses for the duration of that weather.

Delta Stream doesn't disrupt the game balance as much because Mega Rayquaza still has 3 weaknesses (2x to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy).
Several Pranksters already can set priority weather. The weather itself isn't that broken either, since most Flying types are rather frail. Tornadus, Electric/Flying and Normal/Flying pokémon would effectively have no weaknesses, Eelektross has no weaknesses either (pure Electric with Levitate). Is Eelektross overused? Nope.

But isn't the whole idea of Rayquaza is that it's suppose to counter Groundon and Kyogre. If it's ability is negated so easily by Primal Groundon and Kyogre then don't you think Rayquaza's role as the leader of the weather trio is defeated.

Kinda bugs me that Rayquaza has a Mega and not a Primal, but if they are going to explain it in the games then I'll just wait to see the reason.

The design is... interesting, though. I like that there's more of a green and black mix, also the triangle on its forehead is probably for delta, but those streamers are a little bizarre. The patterns grow out of its body into streamers? They look cool, but it's just a little strange. Definitely gives a bigger Chinese dragon feel to Rayray tho.

Also why bother with a site update if you aren't going to give us the official artwork for it? >:l

Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza aren't relevant to the metagame as they banned from pretty much everything (like most of the other mascots). I'm pretty sure that statement was about the new regular Megas we've been seeing, like Sceptile and co.

Easily the best Mega design so far, imo. They took a dragon and made it even more "dragon" :p

I think if we add Mega Rayquaza to the poll, we'll be seeing something beat Mega Gallade in votes =P

I think if we add Mega Rayquaza to the poll, we'll be seeing something beat Mega Gallade in votes =P

I'd vote for it if I hadn't already voted for Audino. Despite the fact that I'd rather it got a Primal Rev. than a Mega, the thing is fucking gorgeous and I love it.

Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza aren't relevant to the metagame as they banned from pretty much everything (like most of the other mascots). I'm pretty sure that statement was about the new regular Megas we've been seeing, like Sceptile and co.

It's possible VGC '15 could allow one of them per team like they did a few years ago.

Im willing to bet ray got a mega just so you could have mega ray and primal groudon or kyogre on your team at the same time. basically a loophole to exploit the 1 mega per team thing.. Only reason I could see em getting a mega over a primal (cause the story aspect only means so much). But then again he kind ruins the point of having kyogre or groudon anyways.. Maybe just so people can use mega starter/whichever new mega and primal on the same team and not have to pick between.

A mega evo with a delta shaped mandible, and some unique method to it? Okay I'm convinced that I'm either Masuda in disguise or that my mind is connected to GF telepathically. This is exactly what I predicted MONTHS ago, every little detail, bar the ability and attack.

Back
Top Bottom