• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
Their intention does seem to be make as many Pokemon able to Mega Evolve as possible given some of their inclusions (Beedrill and Pidgeot most notably make me think this). So I don't see any point in only giving them to weaker Pokemon, they'd only end up being given to the stronger Pokemon at a later point anyway. Introducing them in a variety is a better way to do it imo.

Plus ones like Kanga, Mawile and Pinsir are better than Chomp, T-tar and Zam, so being strong in the base form doesn't necessarily equate to their Megas being better than the base form, or even being better the weaker Pokemon getting the Megas, as Mawile and Kangaskhan demonstrate.

The thing I'm not looking forward to with these Megas is Mega Salamence joining Kang, Gengar and Blaziken in Battle Spot. They are already annoying to battle and Salamence is only going to add to the list of overpowered Megas. Smogon gets a lot of stick, but at least the stupidly overpowered stuff gets the boot.

I'd like to see more sidegrade Megas like T-Tar, something that's not guaranteed to M-Evolve but rather makes the player put a lot of thought into it before Mega Evolving or even giving it a Mega Stone over a different item. Pokemon's always been about mind games and here's the perfect way to mindfuck even more.

I have to say if there is one more Mega Evolution I'll never believe if it happens is Golurk. From both a design stand point and stat wise, Golurk would really benefit from a Mega Evolution. It could be Ghost/Steel with a Ground type version of Normalize called Pulverize.

HP 89 / Attack 164 (+ 40) / Defense 110 (+30) / Special Attack 45 / Special Defense 110 (+ 30) / Speed 55
I think Golurk is quite a likely candidate for a Mega to be honest.
Mega golurk with huge power, defense and speed get a great boost and a slight attack boost. That or huge power, and go for a full on glass cannon approach by leaving its defences alone. As for ditto, hell, a mega with slight boosts everywhere plus imposter would be crazy enough to work.

As for gen 5 megas, chandelure, golurk, Cofagrigus(or whatever it is, still can't get its name down), darmanitan, and the,joltik evo would be the best guesses for canidates. And yes I forgot the name of the best bug ever.
Guys, seriously. This is giving me way too much hope. I don't know whether or not that's a good thing. :lol:

Me personally, if I found that Golurk got a Mega in ORAS, I would fall over. Because:
1) I never would have seen it coming and
2) I seriously want it to happen.

Golurk is my heavy hitter and the one Pokemon that I absolutely need for my team. For that big fella to get a Mega would be a dream come true.
I'd really like to see a Mega with Defiant or Competitive to be honest. With the amount of use Intimidate sees (plus Defog in 6vs6 singles), they are both abilities with great potential.

That's why I'd love for Bisharp to get a Mega but keep its Ability. I think a stat boost would help it greatly and if it kept Defiant, it could be a stone cold killer.

It baffles me how Golurk's defenses are so... Unimpressive. It's a 2.8m tall golem and yet a water bunny is more bulky than it =P

It baffles me how Golurk's defenses are so... Unimpressive. It's a 2.8m tall golem and yet a water bunny is more bulky than it =P

If Golurk did get a Mega, I'd like to see it go even further away from the "bulky" side - I'd love to see the seal on its chest removed to reveal a glowing power core and have the Pokémon gain a sleeker design with obvious jets for flight and rocket punches (Iron Man inspired, maybe, or just a cool original design). Drop the defenses between 10 and 20 points each, boost Speed to 135 to tie MMan and drop the rest in Attack. (164-184 as the final stat). Iron Fist as the ability, either no type change or Steel/Ghost.

"It flies across the sky at Mach speeds. Removing the seal on its chest makes its internal energy go out of control."

I still think going out of control should mean something like Moody--your power fluctuates erratically. That'll probably get it banned though. I guess a Mega Evolution should be able to control that power.

I want a special Moody unsealed Golurk form

Mega Sceptile seems like it would pair well with Gyarados. It doesn't have the Ground weakness like Jolteon, but absorbing Gyara's Electric moves for more power? How 'bout yes?
Unfortunately, Gyara doesn't help with the Ice weakness...

If Golurk did get a Mega, I'd like to see it go even further away from the "bulky" side - I'd love to see the seal on its chest removed to reveal a glowing power core and have the Pokémon gain a sleeker design with obvious jets for flight and rocket punches (Iron Man inspired, maybe, or just a cool original design). Drop the defenses between 10 and 20 points each, boost Speed to 135 to tie MMan and drop the rest in Attack. (164-184 as the final stat). Iron Fist as the ability, either no type change or Steel/Ghost.

I kinda doubt something like that is going to happen, they're likely just going to make it a bulky mon. They're likely going to drop its Speed in order to increase Attack, Defense and Special Defense the most they can.

I can picture Mega Golurk with 89/184/110/55/110/35. Would work pretty well as a wallbreaker and would be downright amazing in Trick Room.

I kinda doubt something like that is going to happen, they're likely just going to make it a bulky mon. They're likely going to drop its Speed in order to increase Attack, Defense and Special Defense the most they can.

I can picture Mega Golurk with 89/184/110/55/110/35. Would work pretty well as a wallbreaker and would be downright amazing in Trick Room.

I agree that it's more realistic but it makes me sad because as we know from Pokémon like Abomasnow (and Camerupt too so far on the ORAS ladder), slow wallbreakers with no recovery + exploitable weaknesses (water, ice, ghost, dark) = shitty mon

I agree that it's more realistic but it makes me sad because as we know from Pokémon like Abomasnow (and Camerupt too so far on the ORAS ladder), slow wallbreakers with no recovery + exploitable weaknesses (water, ice, ghost, dark) = shitty mon

Being fair to Golurk, Dark and Ice types that cannot OHKO it are not going to be able to do much, Iron Fist Drain Punch would probably either deal massive damage or flat-out OHKO while also recovering any lost health. Golurk's also as much of a threat to Ghosts as they are to it.

I do wish it could learn Shadow Sneak though if only so it could have some sort of priority.

I don't get it. What's wrong with it looking feminine?

Because it can be male too and it looks strange. Male Roselia is even worse, same problem as female Machamp pretty much, just in reverse.

So? Just because something is male doesn't mean it has to look masculine, same goes for something female - doesn't have to look feminine

Just because you think it looks strange, doesn't mean it needs to be changed

So we can't start discussing about female Mr. Mime? Such a shame..

OT: I would like a Mega Roserade, like someone mentioned earlier, it pretty much saved Roselia's ass from being a forgotten Pokemon.

I don't get it... Why doesn't Abomasnow get recovery moves? It's a tree and Ingrain recovers HP. It should learn it. Ingrain, Leech Seed and Giga drain. If a rose can get these, so can an evergreen tree.

As for Camerupt, it's an animal. It should get Rest. Not to mention that it's a camel and it has yet to get a signature move for itself involving its humps and retaining water (a camel's signature trait). This move could be called Retention and replenish HP by 50%. Like a Normal-type version of Roost.

And Golurk?... IDK what moves it could get...

I don't get it. What's wrong with it looking feminine?

Because it can be male too and it looks strange. Male Roselia is even worse, same problem as female Machamp pretty much, just in reverse.

So? Just because something is male doesn't mean it has to look masculine, same goes for something female - doesn't have to look feminine

Just because you think it looks strange, doesn't mean it needs to be changed

So we can't start discussing about female Mr. Mime? Such a shame..

OT: I would like a Mega Roserade, like someone mentioned earlier, it pretty much saved Roselia's ass from being a forgotten Pokemon.

I don't get it... Why doesn't Abomasnow get recovery moves? It's a tree and Ingrain recovers HP. It should learn it. Ingrain, Leech Seed and Giga drain. If a rose can get these, so can an evergreen tree.

As for Camerupt, it's an animal. It should get Rest. Not to mention that it's a camel and it has yet to get a signature move for itself involving its humps and retaining water (a camel's signature trait). This move could be called Retention and replenish HP by 50%. Like a Normal-type version of Roost.

And Golurk?... IDK what moves it could get...

Abomasnow does have Leech Seed and shit (it even gets Synthesis iirc but lol Synthesis in hail), and every mon gets Rest, Camerupt included. I mean stuff like Slack Off or Recover or Roost, that can actually be used effectively by offensive Pokémon

Not to start up a conversation about the anime, but I noticed that Clemont recently caught a Luxio in it. And Luxio is not in the Kalos dex (not sure how strict they are about this sort of thing as I'm hardly an anime buff but it seems an odd choice for him to catch given it's not in Kalos) which makes me wonder if Luxray is possibly getting some attention down the line and Luxio is being caught now and will later promote it.

So Mega Luxray maybe? Please no Electric/Dark, just keep it pure Electric. Though given how Charizard is a Dragon, Sceptile is a Dragon and Altaria is a Fairy, all things fans wanted, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Being fair to Golurk, Dark and Ice types that cannot OHKO it are not going to be able to do much, Iron Fist Drain Punch would probably either deal massive damage or flat-out OHKO while also recovering any lost health. Golurk's also as much of a threat to Ghosts as they are to it.

I do wish it could learn Shadow Sneak though if only so it could have some sort of priority.

I had a (completely stupid) idea regarding that; namely, what if Mega Golurk could get a new Ability? The idea I had: Rocket Boost- gives priority to physical moves. However, Golurk can only get this new Ability if he has Klutz, which would turn that from a liability into something a lot more viable. (Hey, the big guy would just hold the Mega Stone. He doesn't actively use it.)

My only problem is that this might render the big guy broken or OP and get him banned.

I'd still use the slag outta him, though.

Not to start up a conversation about the anime, but I noticed that Clemont recently caught a Luxio in it. And Luxio is not in the Kalos dex (not sure how strict they are about this sort of thing as I'm hardly an anime buff but it seems an odd choice for him to catch given it's not in Kalos) which makes me wonder if Luxray is possibly getting some attention down the line and Luxio is being caught now and will later promote it.

So Mega Luxray maybe? Please no Electric/Dark, just keep it pure Electric. Though given how Charizard is a Dragon, Sceptile is a Dragon and Altaria is a Fairy, all things fans wanted, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to see electic/dark Luxray? The only moves it learns by level-up are normal, dark and electric, so certainly the obvious secondary type for it would be dark. Dark/electric seems to have pretty good coverage and with normal hits everything neutral or better. Then of course there's the appeal of a unique type combination.

I had a (completely stupid) idea regarding that; namely, what if Mega Golurk could get a new Ability? The idea I had: Rocket Boost- gives priority to physical moves. However, Golurk can only get this new Ability if he has Klutz, which would turn that from a liability into something a lot more viable. (Hey, the big guy would just hold the Mega Stone. He doesn't actively use it.)

My only problem is that this might render the big guy broken or OP and get him banned.

I'd still use the slag outta him, though.

woah, priority earthquake
better yet, rocket-boosted priority earthquake

Yeah, I don't think they ever add older Pokemon to the main cast unless the Pokemon evolves into something newer (Ash's Aipom and Gligar, Dawn's Swinub), or to promote remakes/reintroduce older Pokemon. (May's Kanto Pokemon for FRLG, Iris's Dragonite for BW2.) So I'm majorly suspicious of the capture.

I also want Mega Rhyperior. Your mom in XY has a Rhyhorn for races; it would be cool if, should we get a time skip or a game set after XY, she comes back with a Rhyperior. But mostly I just want a Mega Rhyperior. :>

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to see electic/dark Luxray? The only moves it learns by level-up are normal, dark and electric, so certainly the obvious secondary type for it would be dark.

It only learns Bite and Crunch by level, which pretty much any Pokemon with teeth can learn; it doesn't indicate a Dark-type. The argument for Luxray being Dark-type mostly comes from its black fur; if it didn't have black fur I doubt anyone would be suggesting it to become a Dark-type.

Back
Top Bottom