• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
It only learns Bite and Crunch by level, which pretty much any Pokemon with teeth can learn; it doesn't indicate a Dark-type. The argument for Luxray being Dark-type mostly comes from its black fur; if it didn't have black fur I doubt anyone would be suggesting it to become a Dark-type.

Yeah, I agree, it wouldn't make an awful lot of sense on Luxray as in its current form. However, there have been larger concept shifts in other megas, so it's definitely a possibility.

Being fair to Golurk, Dark and Ice types that cannot OHKO it are not going to be able to do much, Iron Fist Drain Punch would probably either deal massive damage or flat-out OHKO while also recovering any lost health. Golurk's also as much of a threat to Ghosts as they are to it.

I do wish it could learn Shadow Sneak though if only so it could have some sort of priority.

I had a (completely stupid) idea regarding that; namely, what if Mega Golurk could get a new Ability? The idea I had: Rocket Boost- gives priority to physical moves. However, Golurk can only get this new Ability if he has Klutz, which would turn that from a liability into something a lot more viable. (Hey, the big guy would just hold the Mega Stone. He doesn't actively use it.)

My only problem is that this might render the big guy broken or OP and get him banned.

I'd still use the slag outta him, though.

Wait, how would that work? It would be impossible to have both that and Klutz at the same time. Unless I'm missing something.

But if Mega Golurk could get a new ability that could give it a much needed boost... I guess I'll wait until Gen VII to see what happens =P

Being fair to Golurk, Dark and Ice types that cannot OHKO it are not going to be able to do much, Iron Fist Drain Punch would probably either deal massive damage or flat-out OHKO while also recovering any lost health. Golurk's also as much of a threat to Ghosts as they are to it.

I do wish it could learn Shadow Sneak though if only so it could have some sort of priority.

I had a (completely stupid) idea regarding that; namely, what if Mega Golurk could get a new Ability? The idea I had: Rocket Boost- gives priority to physical moves. However, Golurk can only get this new Ability if he has Klutz, which would turn that from a liability into something a lot more viable. (Hey, the big guy would just hold the Mega Stone. He doesn't actively use it.)

My only problem is that this might render the big guy broken or OP and get him banned.

I'd still use the slag outta him, though.

Wait, how would that work? It would be impossible to have both that and Klutz at the same time. Unless I'm missing something.

But if Mega Golurk could get a new ability that could give it a much needed boost... I guess I'll wait until Gen VII to see what happens =P

I think Golurk needs a decent Ghost type STAB before it gets a Mega. Iron Fist Shadow Punch and Phantom Force are usable in game, but they aren't quite enough for it to leave much of a competitive impact.

I think what she meant was that only a Golurk with Klutz would get the Ability upon going Mega.

I think Golurk needs a decent Ghost type STAB before it gets a Mega. Iron Fist Shadow Punch and Phantom Force are usable in game, but they aren't quite enough for it to leave much of a competitive impact.

The only Ghost type physical move that doesn't take two turns that's stronger than Shadow Punch is Shadow Claw... Which Iron Fist makes weaker than Shadow Punch.

I think what she meant was that only a Golurk with Klutz would get the Ability upon going Mega.

Unless Mega Golurk has two abilities I can't see that happening and considering no Mega has two abilities...

It only learns Bite and Crunch by level, which pretty much any Pokemon with teeth can learn; it doesn't indicate a Dark-type. The argument for Luxray being Dark-type mostly comes from its black fur; if it didn't have black fur I doubt anyone would be suggesting it to become a Dark-type.

Yeah, I agree, it wouldn't make an awful lot of sense on Luxray as in its current form. However, there have been larger concept shifts in other megas, so it's definitely a possibility.

It's definitely possible, but like with Yadon, it just seems like people are just looking at the black fur and that's there reason for it. At least with examples like Gyarados and Charizard, there was some other traits to go along with that change (Gyarados is extremely violent and brutal and Charizard's a stereotypical dragon to its core), Luxray is just dark colored and that's it.

Regardless, that doesn't mean it won't happen, it always just seemed a bit out of place to me.

Nah, you see its expression? It's damn angry.

Which is not uncommon on evolved forms, Terrakion looks damn angry, even more so then Luxray does, but no one wants him to drop his Fighting type for a Dark type.

It's definitely possible, but like with Yadon, it just seems like people are just looking at the black fur and that's there reason for it. At least with examples like Gyarados and Charizard, there was some other traits to go along with that change (Gyarados is extremely violent and brutal and Charizard's a stereotypical dragon to its core), Luxray is just dark colored and that's it.

Regardless, that doesn't mean it won't happen, it always just seemed a bit out of place to me.
Well, it can see through walls. To me that seems like a mildly terrifying ability that could be expanded upon. I too always kind of wished it was a Dark-type, if only to help it stand out from comparable Electric-types.

But you're right that it's fairly unlikely. Honestly I don't expect to see many more Mega Evolutions at all until Pokémon Z/XZ/YZ/whatever they do.

As a side note, not TOTALLY on-topic... I do hope that Mega Evolutions from X and Y that are in the Hoenn Dex are easy enough to access in ORAS. I'm keen on using Mega Aggron this time, so if it ended up exclusive to Alpha Sapphire (I'm getting Omega Ruby), needless to say I'd be pretty miffed. The same applies to a lesser extent with Mega Absol.

There will not be an ability that gives priority on attacking moves. And if there was, they wouldn't give it to Golurk, which is the definition of a slow attacker with 50 speed and 443 in other stats. It would make much more sense on Mega-Ninjask or something. Priority earthquake from a respectable base 120+ attack sounds... well not broken since 120 attack isn't what it once was, but still pretty scary.

Honestly, I'd say by far the most likely route for them to take with Golurk is to do an Abomasnow. Slow M-Golurk down and beef up his defenses and attack considerably. Of course, we all saw how that went, but I do think it's the most likely possibility. For an ability, I'd say it's very likely they'll keep it at Iron Fist. It's a very good ability already and they've given/kept analogous abilities in other megas (Mega Launcher Blastoise, Strong Jaw Sharpedo, Technician Scizor, Skill Link Heracross). Certainly, megas have received worse abilities (I'm still seething about Inner Focus...)

There will not be an ability that gives priority on attacking moves. And if there was, they wouldn't give it to Golurk, which is the definition of a slow attacker with 50 speed and 443 in other stats. It would make much more sense on Mega-Ninjask or something. Priority earthquake from a respectable base 120+ attack sounds... well not broken since 120 attack isn't what it once was, but still pretty scary.

Honestly, I'd say by far the most likely route for them to take with Golurk is to do an Abomasnow. Slow M-Golurk down and beef up his defenses and attack considerably. Of course, we all saw how that went, but I do think it's the most likely possibility. For an ability, I'd say it's very likely they'll keep it at Iron Fist. It's a very good ability already and they've given/kept analogous abilities in other megas (Mega Launcher Blastoise, Strong Jaw Sharpedo, Technician Scizor, Skill Link Heracross). Certainly, megas have received worse abilities (I'm still seething about Inner Focus...)

Gale Wings.

Inner Focus isn't as horrible as you might think. :/

I don't think it's too unbelievable for Golurk to gain Speed in its Mega. It already has some sort of propulsion that gives it the ability to fly, so they could expand on that idea with the Mega. I think it could go either way, but gaining more Speed seems likely choice to me - similar to how Mega Metagross gains a ton of Speed because it's more agile than regular Metagross.

Gale Wings.

I think they meant all attacking moves, not just of one type. Could be wrong tho.

Well, my association with making Luxray dark-type (aside from its appearance) is that it has the ability to see through anything. And that its eyes, claws and tail glow. That seems like traits that would be useful if one was nocturnal, or only lived in the DARK of night. Additionally, its based off of a hunting animal (a big cat) and Dark types are largely, but not always, based off of hunting/scavenging animals (hyena, sharks, vultures, weasels, leopards, etc.)

So biologically, it'd make sense for it to be at home in the dark, and therefore make it Dark-type. Or create a Night-type and give it that. LOL

I would bet money that if the fur wasn't black no one would be drawing this 'connection' between it being able to see through walls = nocturnal = Dark-type or hunter = Dark-type to try and support the idea of it fitting the Dark-type. It's really reaching.

The trait of it being able to see through walls isn't exactly "Dark (or better yet, Evil)" though. It's no worse then an owl that has better sight at night to hunt a mouse, it's just an adaptation to help it hunt and protect its young better. On top of that, it's never described to be nocturnal or even remotely related to the night, so I agree that it seems like quite a reach to connect the two like that.

I've always thought Luxray should have have had Dark as a secondary type. It just seems to fit him so well (black fur, expression) plus he already gets crunch. Secondary typings have been given out for far less. I feel like a Mega Luxray would almost certainly be part Dark.

Do you think it's possible GF's gonna do another "x and y" split mega evolution in the future, like Mewtwo and Charizard have? If so, which Pokemon do you think would be a good candidate for 2 Megas?

Do you think it's possible GF's gonna do another "x and y" split mega evolution in the future, like Mewtwo and Charizard have? If so, which Pokemon do you think would be a good candidate for 2 Megas?

Multiple Megas for a single Pokémon? I wish this never happen again. Actually, I wish this to have never happened.

Yeah, they're nearly guaranteed to throw in as many version-exclusive features as they can.

I can actually see Mega Slaking as a good candidate, with one version keeping it a bulky physical attacker and making the other a speedy Special attacker. A lot of tricky min-maxing on him, but you get the idea.

It just seems to fit him so well (black fur, expression)

Yeah but the point is black fur =/= Dark-type. If we're basing typings on colour then it's time to retcon a lot of the dex.

Hypno is yellow so let's make it an Electric-type! Xatu is green, so it should be a Grass-type!

Back
Top Bottom