• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The New Mega Evolutions Thread (MOD NOTE: Read first post!)

Favourite ORAS Mega so far?

• Mega Sceptile

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Swampert

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Diancie

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Sableye

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Metagross

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Mega Altaria

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Mega Salamence

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Lopunny

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Mega Audino

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mega Slowbro

• Mega Gallade

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Mega Camerupt

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Mega Sharpedo

• Mega Rayquaza

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Mega Latias

• Mega Latios

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mega Pidgeot

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Mega Beedrill

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • Mega Glalie

• Mega Steelix

• Total voters
I'd like split Mega Evolutions, especially for Pokemon that currently have one Mega, but it's underwhelming, bad, or very ugly. But hopefully the new Megas would play differently. I mean, we have branch evolutions, so why not?

It just seems to fit him so well (black fur, expression)

Yeah but the point is black fur =/= Dark-type. If we're basing typings on colour then it's time to retcon a lot of the dex.

Hypno is yellow so let's make it an Electric-type! Xatu is green, so it should be a Grass-type!
Ralts family. I used to think Ralts family was part Grass. Learning Magical Leaf didn't help...

I agree that dark fur doesn't imply "darkness". However, there's more in Luxray besides "dark" design. There's a sum of factors... its claimed sight (and being a feline) suggest a nocturnal creature, learns several "fang" attacks and some Dark moves... none of these factors alone justify a Dark-typing by themselves, but they make a total, so a secondary Dark isn't completely pointless. I mean, if Ampharos was made part-Dragon from almost literally nothing except its Japanese name...

I agree that dark fur doesn't imply "darkness". However, there's more in Luxray besides "dark" design. There's a sum of factors... its claimed sight (and being a feline) suggest a nocturnal creature, learns several "fang" attacks and some Dark moves... none of these factors alone justify a Dark-typing by themselves, but they make a total, so a secondary Dark isn't completely pointless. I mean, if Ampharos was made part-Dragon from almost literally nothing except its Japanese name...

Ursaring is based around a constellation, constellations being able to be seen in the night sky, Ursaring can learn a lot of Dark-type attacks like Luxray... why is no one arguing for Ursaring to be Dark? Granbull, a pitbull with Intimidate, learns a lot of Dark-type attacks, why is no one saying Granbull should be Dark? Druddigon, lives in dark caves, chases prey (so a predator, like people keep using as reasoning for Luxray), learns a lot of Dark-type moves, why is no one saying Druddigon should become Dark?

Learning lots of "fang" attacks really doesn't lend any sort of credence to the idea of it being a Dark-type, it just means it bites to attack which is the same for a lot of creatures. There's no evidence of it being nocturnal; x-ray vision does not imply nocturnal even remotely - I can say Ursaring is nocturnal because it's based on a constellation, it doesn't make it true. It's, again, the fans reaching to try and draw their fan-wish together. Why is seeing through objects somehow better at night than it is in the day anyway?

As I said in an earlier post, the only reason people are reaching and trying to find all this evidence that somehow links Luxray to being part Dark is because of the colour of its fur. There are a number of other Pokemon that share similar attributes, but no one ever seems to bring them up and say they should be part Dark, probably because they don't have black fur.

I actually wanted Normal/Dark Mega Ursaring with Fur Coat. It would be soooo cool.

I wouldn't want Mega Luxray to be Electric/Dark, not because the type combination doesn't fit but because it would be worse off defensively.

An Electric/Dark has an immunity to Psychic, but it also receives three additional weaknesses in Bug, Fighting, and Fairy - the latter two of which are common in the higher tiers. Lower tiers notwithstanding, an Electric/Dark Mega Luxray would be susceptible to additional threats: Azumarill, Breloom, Conkeldurr, Gardevoir-M, Heracross-M, Medicham-M, Scizor-M (if it carries Bug Bite or U-turn), Terrakion, and Sylveon. Including UU into the figure, Luxray-M would also be weak to Florges, Galvantula, Infernape, Lucario, Toxicroak, and Mienshao.

For an Electric/Dark Mega Luxray to have any chance of surviving against those threats, it must have enough bulk (because it sure as hell cannot outspeed most of them with 70-100 base Speed). Base Luxray has 80/79/79 bulk, which is mediocre. Mega Luxray may get a boost to its Defenses, but such a boost will likely be minimal if Game Freak focuses on improving Luxray's Attack and Special Attack. It may even be possible that Mega Luxray doesn't get a boost to one of both of its defensive stats at all, leaving its bulk right where it started.

Certain other Megas who gain the Dark-type (most notably Gyarados) were able to get away with the type change because of their higher bulk (95/79/130) and access to moves that boost their Speed, ensuring that they go first against certain opponents. Luxray doesn't even have access to Agility.

The Dark-type is more of a liability to Mega Luxray than anything else. M-Luxray lacks the defensive or support tools to accommodate its hypothetical Electric/Dark typing, and it would have far more counters to warrant its use in the higher tiers.

I would find it pretty funny if Mega Luxray got a secondary type that doesn't seem to match, like Fighting.

I would find it pretty funny if Mega Luxray got a secondary type that doesn't seem to match, like Fighting.

Flying would be even funnier. Just have it sprout wings like Mega Absol and it'll be everything Mega Absol wants to be.
I do think a Mega Luxray would just keep the same typing, too many Pokemon that go Mega get the Dark type (GYARADOS, HOW DARE YOU!) or are Dark type.

The other problem with the Dark type on Mega Luxray is that it lacks any of the moves that make Dark types good in the first place. No Sucker Punch, no Knock Off, not even Pursuit. The addition of a mediocre secondary STAB in Crunch doesn't really compensate for the added weaknesses unless it's bolstered by Strong Jaw or something.

The other problem with the Dark type on Mega Luxray is that it lacks any of the moves that make Dark types good in the first place. No Sucker Punch, no Knock Off, not even Pursuit. The addition of a mediocre secondary STAB in Crunch doesn't really compensate for the added weaknesses unless it's bolstered by Strong Jaw or something.

Well, if you put it that way...

...does Luxray get Ice Fang?

@ThePipmaster; Luxray can have the elemental fangs.

I could totally see a Mega Luxray with Strong Jaw. Don't know if they should keep it Electric only or give it a secondary typing.

@ThePipmaster; Luxray can have the elemental fangs.

I could totally see a Mega Luxray with Strong Jaw. Don't know if they should keep it Electric only or give it a secondary typing.

~ooh~
Strong Jaw boosted Bolt-Beam coverage with STAB on half of it+STAB Strong Jaw Crunch?
As long as they get Luxie's stats right, that thing could be a powerhouse. And I would love that, because Luxray just so happens to be one of my favorites. Higher than Infernape, not quite as high as Greninja.

please, oh please, gamefreak

I feel like the stats for MLuxray could go something like this:
HP: 80 --> 80
Atk: 120 > 150 (+30)
Def: 79 -> 79
Sp.A: 95 > 105 (+10)
Sp.D: 79 > 89 (+10)
Spe: 70 -> 120 (+50)
Alternately, the 10 points in Special Attack could be moved to Defense or Attack.
Maybe a movepool addition in Swords Dance? Or even Dragon Dance? It sounds weird, but they've given it to crabs... and mud fish... and sea horses... and strange humanoid skin-pantsed things... and leaf-bird mammals...
Something better than Howl.

Honestly I don't see the problem with giving Megas to popular mons that already very good. If they were the only ones who got Megas, then I would have a problem with it. But just from X/Y we have the following mons that needed the boost from a Mega:

Mawile, Charizard, Blastoise, Pinsir, Kangaskhan, Medicham, Manectric, Banette, Abomasnow... Maybe Absol, Ampharos and Houndoom? I don't know how good their base forms are.

Remember that popularity is not the same as the Pokémon being good, Charizard was pretty much the symbol of this before X/Y. Really, most of the mons that are getting Mega evos need the boost in some way, popular or not.

I agree. Megas were never intended as boosts to Pokemon who do poorly competitively. I don't know where that notion came from.

They apply to any Pokemon GF feels like blessing.

Alternately, the 10 points in Special Attack could be moved to Defense or Attack.
Maybe a movepool addition in Swords Dance? Or even Dragon Dance? It sounds weird, but they've given it to crabs... and mud fish... and sea horses... and strange humanoid skin-pantsed things... and leaf-bird mammals...

I can't really see that stat spread. 120 speed would be fantastic, but a boost of 50 suggests a major speed-oriented design change. I think something like 80/160/94/95/94/100 would be more realistic. (Even a touch min-maxed. I don't think it will have many points wasted on sp atk though.) If it's lucky, it will gain an appropriate movepool boost of SD and/or agility. If it's a dark type, which I hope it is, things like Knock-off and Pursuit would be needed to boost its evil credentials since, as many have pointed out, it's not particularly dark in its vanilla form.

Re: Will we get more Mega Evolutions in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire?

That was risky but brave step when they decided to make a mega evolve for Beedrill and Pidgeot. And as their success, Mega Pidgeot is the best so far imo. No Pokémon since now had such a good mega much as Pidgeot. I will definitely train a Pidgey in Omega Ruby.

I would bet money that if the fur wasn't black no one would be drawing this 'connection' between it being able to see through walls = nocturnal = Dark-type or hunter = Dark-type to try and support the idea of it fitting the Dark-type. It's really reaching.

I never said that my nocturnal connection was due to the dark fur. The nocturnal is because of Luxray's inspiration, the lynx. Which is a hunter. And nocturnal. And was thought to have X-ray vision in olden days. A power attributed to demons and all things evil in medieval times. Evil being Dark type's Japanese name. But what do I know? I'm only reaching.
tumblr_n9pl3yf7iP1r36bj2o2_75sq.gif

And lynxes are actually LIGHT colored. Like a Shiny Shinx. Still think the entire line should be Dark type, even if they gave M-Luxray golden fur. Nothing to do with the fur color. I just like the dark fur.
tumblr_n3q3wuhrJu1r36bj2o10_75sq.gif

Attachments

• tumblr_n9pl3yf7iP1r36bj2o2_75sq.gif
    247.1 KB · Views: 137
I would bet money that if the fur wasn't black no one would be drawing this 'connection' between it being able to see through walls = nocturnal = Dark-type or hunter = Dark-type to try and support the idea of it fitting the Dark-type. It's really reaching.

I never said that my nocturnal connection was due to the dark fur. The nocturnal is because of Luxray's inspiration, the lynx. Which is a hunter. And nocturnal. And was thought to have X-ray vision in olden days. A power attributed to demons and all things evil in medieval times. Evil being Dark type's Japanese name. But what do I know? I'm only reaching.

And lynxes are actually LIGHT colored. Like a Shiny Shinx. Still think the entire line should be Dark type, even if they gave M-Luxray golden fur. Nothing to do with the fur color. I just like the dark fur.
tumblr_n3q3wuhrJu1r36bj2o10_75sq.gif

Yes, you are reaching. If the fur wasn't black people wouldn't even be trying to associate Luxray with a Dark-type in the first place.

Kinda done debating this with everyone. You can all think what you want, but as I said originally, I don't want it to become a Dark-type because all the arguments for it are plain bad.

I can't really see that stat spread. 120 speed would be fantastic, but a boost of 50 suggests a major speed-oriented design change. I think something like 80/160/94/95/94/100 would be more realistic. (Even a touch min-maxed. I don't think it will have many points wasted on sp atk though.) If it's lucky, it will gain an appropriate movepool boost of SD and/or agility. If it's a dark type, which I hope it is, things like Knock-off and Pursuit would be needed to boost its evil credentials since, as many have pointed out, it's not particularly dark in its vanilla form.

...maybe 110 speed?
...or 105, M-Pinsir style?
I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the 100 speed tier, for some reason...
I think it's because of Alakazam.
Also, I doubt they're going to focus on bulk too much, since I think they're going to boost both Attack and Special Attack.
If they did for some reason give him DD though, I would be perfectly fine with your spread. Except that I really don't want him sent to Ubers... hopefully Mach Punch will help rectify that.
Also, cats in general are known for being fast and agile (I know my cat is), so it probably wouldn't be such a big deal for 120 speed. Plus Electric types are generally fast.
That could be another justification for the Dark-type, too; he's based off of a cat, and cats are pretty evil, right? :p

Last edited:
So I watched a video about a leak/rumor of further Megas and Fearow was on the list as Dark/Flying. I wonder where the guy did get that from.

Is it the one that list Fearow as Dark/Flying with Destructate or whatever it was called (supposedly turns Normal to Dark iirc). Because I think that was from a bunch of leaks from Reddit that turned out fake (iirc).

I wouldn't mind a Mega Fearow though. But I would like to see more Johto, Sinnoh and Unova Megas before more Kanto and Hoenn at this point.

Back
Top Bottom